Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? 11:25 - Sep 28 with 1550 viewsblueasfook

By that, I mean what mechanisms are in place that we could call a GE based on the current government being totally incompetent

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 11:27 - Sep 28 with 1520 viewshomer_123

we've had an incompetent government for a while now.....

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 11:28 - Sep 28 with 1512 viewsblueasfook

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 11:27 - Sep 28 by homer_123

we've had an incompetent government for a while now.....

Don't disagree but the current "leadership" is plumbing whole new depths. We are a global laughing stock.

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 11:36 - Sep 28 with 1469 viewspointofblue

All Tory MPs being recalled by their constituents?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 11:36 - Sep 28 with 1469 viewsSwansea_Blue

I don't think there are any formal mechanisms. Anarchy is probably the only option. People can't be arsed with that though coz they'll miss Love Island.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 12:24 - Sep 28 with 1385 viewsblueislander

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 11:36 - Sep 28 by Swansea_Blue

I don't think there are any formal mechanisms. Anarchy is probably the only option. People can't be arsed with that though coz they'll miss Love Island.

Vote of no confidence by Tory MPs . The majority of them wanted Sunak anyway. Not sure, but I don’t think Truss would have to resign, but it would really make her position untenable. Doubt whether enough Tory MPs would have the balls to do it though. If Labour called for a no confidence vote , for it to succeed a large number of Tories would have to vote for it. I can’t see that happening either.
What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 12:30 - Sep 28 with 1373 viewsSomethingBlue

Sadly there aren't really any ways to. People could protest en masse, as they should (and here is a way to begin https://wesayenough.co.uk/oct1/) but our population in general is too complacent, gullible and poorly educated to respond coherently to what is happening to them. Maybe I'll be proved wrong, I'd love to be.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2022 12:33]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 12:35 - Sep 28 with 1326 viewslowhouseblue

i'm afraid it comes down to tory mps developing a sense of shame or a military coup.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 12:49 - Sep 28 with 1274 viewsWeWereZombies

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 12:24 - Sep 28 by blueislander

Vote of no confidence by Tory MPs . The majority of them wanted Sunak anyway. Not sure, but I don’t think Truss would have to resign, but it would really make her position untenable. Doubt whether enough Tory MPs would have the balls to do it though. If Labour called for a no confidence vote , for it to succeed a large number of Tories would have to vote for it. I can’t see that happening either.

If enough Conservative MPs could be persuaded to cross the floor (Starmer could entice some with the promise of positions in a new Government) or, far less likely, if those MPs could come to an arrangement with their constituency Association allowing them to sit as an independent:

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn02537/

https://www.wealdenconservatives.com/sites/www.wealdenconservatives.com/files/20

(This raised a smile when I glanced through the second link - 'Your Association is about to start one of the most important and exciting activities in its calendar - choosing the candidate who will fight for the Conservative cause in your constituency at the next General Election')

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Login to get fewer ads

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 12:55 - Sep 28 with 1253 viewsSwansea_Blue

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 12:24 - Sep 28 by blueislander

They have the option to oust the PM, but not force a GE either. At least that’s my understanding of it. Tories changed the law in 2019 denying Parliament the opportunity to call a GE. Or I may have got that wrong, maybe it’s either the PM or Parliament who can call a GE. The public can’t, although I suppose we can pressure our MPs (or revolt violently!).

There’s a lot of babble from political journalists on Twitter that Truss and Sunak may actually be close to being forced out. Not sure how true that it mind.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 12:57 - Sep 28 with 1243 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

We could ask Putin to invade. That would please both those who think he’s a a strong leader and those that think NATO have been mean to him?
What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 12:59 - Sep 28 with 1237 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Mass public disorder/disobedience/rent strikes/non payment of bills...

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 13:04 - Sep 28 with 1218 viewsWeWereZombies

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 12:57 - Sep 28 by SuperKieranMcKenna

We could ask Putin to invade. That would please both those who think he’s a a strong leader and those that think NATO have been mean to him?

That would upset the Americans though.

We could ask Biden to invade us, bound to upset somebody though.

Who could we get to invade us and not cause a fuss ? The Channel Islands, no that would upset France. The Isle of Man ? Lundy ?

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 13:18 - Sep 28 with 1190 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 13:04 - Sep 28 by WeWereZombies

Who could we get to invade us and not cause a fuss ? The Channel Islands, no that would upset France. The Isle of Man ? Lundy ?

Or we could go the other way and perhaps stake a claim to the Faroe Islands.

Every time Argentina go cap in hand to the IMF they start agitating about the Falklands as a “look over there”. Definitely the kind of thing this govt would do.
What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 13:22 - Sep 28 with 1174 viewsWeWereZombies

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 13:18 - Sep 28 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Or we could go the other way and perhaps stake a claim to the Faroe Islands.

Every time Argentina go cap in hand to the IMF they start agitating about the Falklands as a “look over there”. Definitely the kind of thing this govt would do.

Norway have their Sovereign Debt Fund, if we could sneak the population of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland over there whilst they weren't looking then all of our problems would go away.

Mind you, we would then have a border with Russia...

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 13:24 - Sep 28 with 1165 viewsblueasfook

I think I read yesterday that votes of no confidence in her have been submitted already. Hopefully be gone by Christmas. But that's not the real solution. We need the Tories out, full stop.

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 13:24 - Sep 28 with 1163 viewsTangledupin_Blue

It would require Truss to develop self-awareness. It is not going to happen

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 13:48 - Sep 28 with 1114 viewscatch74

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 11:28 - Sep 28 by blueasfook

Don't disagree but the current "leadership" is plumbing whole new depths. We are a global laughing stock.

I don’t think they are, I think it’s been pretty consistent. Scarily.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 13:53 - Sep 28 with 1090 viewsgiant_stow

Sunak should be installed as caretaker PM, for the period it takes to conduct a GE. not what you asked - but this is the only way out, I reckon. They better not dare try another internal leadership election...

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 15:08 - Sep 28 with 955 viewsChurchman

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 13:53 - Sep 28 by giant_stow

Sunak should be installed as caretaker PM, for the period it takes to conduct a GE. not what you asked - but this is the only way out, I reckon. They better not dare try another internal leadership election...

Agree with this. But these idiots will ignore, blame, deflect and carry on filling their boots while they can.
What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 15:13 - Sep 28 with 939 viewsBlueNomad

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 12:49 - Sep 28 by WeWereZombies

If enough Conservative MPs could be persuaded to cross the floor (Starmer could entice some with the promise of positions in a new Government) or, far less likely, if those MPs could come to an arrangement with their constituency Association allowing them to sit as an independent:

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn02537/

https://www.wealdenconservatives.com/sites/www.wealdenconservatives.com/files/20

(This raised a smile when I glanced through the second link - 'Your Association is about to start one of the most important and exciting activities in its calendar - choosing the candidate who will fight for the Conservative cause in your constituency at the next General Election')

Maybe Anderson will cross the floor.................again. He is a monster without conscience - even when measured against other Tories.
What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 16:39 - Sep 28 with 860 viewsfactual_blue

For £5m the tories will call an election, and give you a peerage.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 17:11 - Sep 28 with 809 viewsElephantintheRoom

None. Our electoral system guarantees a minority government every time. So the majority of voters always get the polar opposite of what they voted for.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 17:34 - Sep 28 with 779 viewseireblue

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 13:04 - Sep 28 by WeWereZombies

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 18:13 - Sep 28 with 744 viewsronnyd

What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 11:36 - Sep 28 by Swansea_Blue

Or, if you listen to the BBC, the only gigs in town are Strictly or Eurovision.
What would it take to call a GE based on public lack of faith in govt? on 20:21 - Sep 28 with 686 viewsChurchman

So their solution is to double down on their own catastrophic failure.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-63056188

Cut public spending. Make the deserving poor pay. Make the unproductive useless public sector pay. Police, the services, NHS, firemen, DWP, environment (b’gger sewage washing up - only the deserving poor go to stinky beaches in U.K.), all of these useless mouths pay ….. to pay more money to mega rich people who don’t need it. Trickle drown economics. You’ll get a crumb if you are lucky but you’ll be happy about it.

Yep, makes perfect sense to me - assuming you are in a rubber room with a wrap around jacket. These cretins need driving out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024