Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! 08:51 - Feb 28 with 3468 viewsunstableblue

NI now has full access to both UK and EU markets? Is that correct?

Leading arch leave loon Steve Baker to say:
“What an extraordinary opportunity for Northern Ireland: dual access to both markets.”

And leader Rishi to say:
“ “Northern Ireland has this very special position, where it has access to the UK market, it has access to the EU market - which makes it an incredibly attractive place to invest.”

I mean this is rather surreal isn’t it?!

Is it also true NI ‘citizens’ have free movement in the EU as well ?!!?

That’s what we all want.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:01 - Feb 28 with 2347 viewsbluelagos

Was quite remarkable for an arch Brexiteer like Baker state being in the single market was "a great opportunity"

No idea on free movement for NI citizens. They have had the right to green passports (for being born in NI) for a while, though not many Unionists would be happy going down that route.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:05 - Feb 28 with 2325 viewshomer_123

[checks house prices in NI]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:11 - Feb 28 with 2311 viewsDJR

NI already had full access to both markets under the Protocol, and my understanding is that trade had already benefited as a result, and that business in NI was very content with the position.

The issue (which I think was exaggerated by the DUP) was that certain goods etc passing from GB to NI faced checks and the like.

On free movements, those born in Northern Ireland have the right to an Irish passport which confers that right. And Irish citizens have for a century had the right to live and work in the UK (as British citizens have the right to live and work in Ireland).
[Post edited 28 Feb 2023 9:13]
So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:12 - Feb 28 with 2303 viewsMattinLondon

Is it a possibility that those comments by the PM means that he now realises how important the single market is? Maybe positioning the UK to join it sooner rather than later?
So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:23 - Feb 28 with 2261 viewsKeno

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:11 - Feb 28 by DJR

NI already had full access to both markets under the Protocol, and my understanding is that trade had already benefited as a result, and that business in NI was very content with the position.

The issue (which I think was exaggerated by the DUP) was that certain goods etc passing from GB to NI faced checks and the like.

On free movements, those born in Northern Ireland have the right to an Irish passport which confers that right. And Irish citizens have for a century had the right to live and work in the UK (as British citizens have the right to live and work in Ireland).

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:27 - Feb 28 with 2235 viewsDJR

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:12 - Feb 28 by MattinLondon

Is it a possibility that those comments by the PM means that he now realises how important the single market is? Maybe positioning the UK to join it sooner rather than later?

It may at least usher in a period of greater trust between the EU and the UK which can't be bad, but I don't think we are looking any time soon at rejoining the single market.

At the end of the day, changes to the NI Protocol are really only relevant to goods etc passing from GB to the UK, and nothing discussed yesterday changes the fact that trade between the EU and the UK is much more difficult than it once was because of the hard Brexit that we opted for.

And of course the changes yesterday can be dressed up as strengthening the UK, something that would be much more difficult for changes to the arrangements between the UK and the EU.
So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:27 - Feb 28 with 2227 viewsDJR

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:23 - Feb 28 by Keno

You lucky man, you!

Oh, for an Irish or Northern Irish parent or grandparent.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2023 9:30]
So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:41 - Feb 28 with 2105 viewsKeno

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:27 - Feb 28 by DJR

You lucky man, you!

maybe I could adopt you?

Login to get fewer ads

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:42 - Feb 28 with 2108 viewsRyorry

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:27 - Feb 28 by DJR

You lucky man, you!

It’s like ppl constantly posting pics of full supermarket shelves in France, Spain etc though, saying “no problem for us living here”. Just rubs our noses in it.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:43 - Feb 28 with 2095 viewsChurchman

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:11 - Feb 28 by DJR

Common Travel Area (CTA) pre dates the EU. It allows Eire citizens to work in the U.K. and visa versa. It means access to healthcare, rights, privileges for both including the right to vote in some elections. A very sensible arrangement.

CTA was only ever about people, but over the years there was a certain amount of ‘mission creep’ which allowed things like easy transfer of horses to Cheltenham, pets, white van stuff, generally a relaxed approach. A good thing.

Brexit meant that the agreement was unaffected but the other stuff that was allowed went out of the window.

It’s all nonsense really. As the proposer of the single market, signatory to CTA the benefits of free movement have been known for decades - except to the swivel eyed minority whose grasp of history is as poor as its grasp of economics.

I’ve no doubt Sunak’s agreement will be picked apart by the self styled ERG (who never did a second’s research on anything) dimwits and the DuP Neanderthals but in a sense it doesn’t matter. It is as I see it the first step towards some sort of sensible agreement and long term entry back into the single market. Rarely optimistic, I kind of am on this. Sunak is clearly trying to build decent relationship with the EU and so will Starmer - a refreshing change from his belligerent predecessors.

It’s a start.
So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:46 - Feb 28 with 2064 viewsDJR

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:41 - Feb 28 by Keno

maybe I could adopt you?

Sounds good to me.
So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 10:07 - Feb 28 with 1978 viewsBlueBadger

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:42 - Feb 28 by Ryorry

It’s like ppl constantly posting pics of full supermarket shelves in France, Spain etc though, saying “no problem for us living here”. Just rubs our noses in it.

I'm getting a certain amount of twisted enjoyment outing of listening/watching various news outlets tying to find new ways of saying 'Brexit has nothing to do with this' when talking about current food shortages.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 10:16 - Feb 28 with 1939 viewsnoggin

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:23 - Feb 28 by Keno

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 10:19 - Feb 28 with 1913 viewsleitrimblue

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 10:07 - Feb 28 by BlueBadger

I'm getting a certain amount of twisted enjoyment outing of listening/watching various news outlets tying to find new ways of saying 'Brexit has nothing to do with this' when talking about current food shortages.

No shortage of tomatoes in Co Leitrim or just across border in Enniskillen strangely enough.....
So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! (n/t) on 10:21 - Feb 28 with 1903 viewsPinewoodblue

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 10:07 - Feb 28 by BlueBadger

Anyone who says Brexit isn’t a contributing factor is an idiot, but it isn’t the full reason.

Many tomato growers in Europe have cut production due to high energy costs, Sweden used to produce several hundred tonnes of toms but have ceased production completely.

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20230227-as-uk-supermarkets-ration-fruits-and

[Post edited 28 Feb 2023 10:24]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! (n/t) on 10:30 - Feb 28 with 1850 viewsnoggin

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! (n/t) on 10:21 - Feb 28 by Pinewoodblue

Anyone who says Brexit isn’t a contributing factor is an idiot, but it isn’t the full reason.

Many tomato growers in Europe have cut production due to high energy costs, Sweden used to produce several hundred tonnes of toms but have ceased production completely.

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20230227-as-uk-supermarkets-ration-fruits-and

[Post edited 28 Feb 2023 10:24]

No shortages here 🤷‍♂️

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 10:38 - Feb 28 with 1791 viewsKeno

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 10:16 - Feb 28 by noggin

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 12:13 - Feb 28 with 1654 viewschicoazul

Basically we were half in the EU before Brexit and after it we’re now half out.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 12:43 - Feb 28 with 1598 viewsElderGrizzly

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:12 - Feb 28 by MattinLondon

We are in comedy territory now. Literally Sunak is boasting about something he has taken away from the rest of the UK

[Post edited 28 Feb 2023 12:50]
So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 12:56 - Feb 28 with 1542 viewsRyorry

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 12:43 - Feb 28 by ElderGrizzly

We are in comedy territory now. Literally Sunak is boasting about something he has taken away from the rest of the UK

[Post edited 28 Feb 2023 12:50]

In effect, he & other tory crims are bragging about putting out a very small part of a very large bonfire that he & they were complicit in starting. Sickening.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 12:58 - Feb 28 with 1536 viewsnoggin

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 09:42 - Feb 28 by Ryorry

Well if people are going to say, "Yeah but it's not just brexit"....
Brexit seems to be the only factor, if EU countries are not suffering shortages.

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 13:04 - Feb 28 with 1519 viewsSwansea_Blue

the UK is utterly insane

Here’s a bit more on Sunak pointing out how stupid we’ve been

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 13:11 - Feb 28 with 1489 viewsBlueschev

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 13:04 - Feb 28 by Swansea_Blue

the UK is utterly insane

Surely this lunacy is the final nail in the coffin for these fools? It's either they think that the general public are completely thick, or they're completely thick.
So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 13:13 - Feb 28 with 1480 viewsThisIsMyUsername

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 13:04 - Feb 28 by Swansea_Blue

the UK is utterly insane

So are NI residents getting freedom of movement within the EU now or is this still to be confirmed?

If so then 'at least' it's only the English, Scottish and Welsh who are now missing out on this previously enjoyed right and benefit.(Sarcasm).

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

So can I clarify this EU Northern Ireland deal?! on 13:20 - Feb 28 with 1449 viewsDJR

the UK is utterly insane

They also had that before Brexit, and also before the proposed changes to the Protocol.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2023 13:33]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024