Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wigan 21:09 - May 24 with 3769 viewsFrimleyBlue

I know it's not fair on fans.

But should the club be relegated to non league for the way they're being run?

Apparently. No money transferred tonight that the efl demanded.

Point deductions seem pointless.

Throw the book at them I say. Whilst nit nice For the fans, it would be a punishment fit for the crime.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Wigan on 21:22 - May 24 with 3428 viewswkj

If Bury and Bolton's near miss are anything to go by, the only time expulsion from the league seems to be the case is when the club goes bust without a buyer.
[Post edited 24 May 2023 22:09]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Wigan on 22:07 - May 24 with 3267 viewsPendejo

Wigan on 21:22 - May 24 by wkj

If Bury and Bolton's near miss are anything to go by, the only time expulsion from the league seems to be the case is when the club goes bust without a buyer.

When did Bolton get expelled from the league?

Aldershot and Maidstone did didn't they? Luton 15million point deduction dropped them out.

If any club has bad owners shouldn't shouldn't it be the FA and / or the EFL that's scrutinised for failing to conduct a robust fit and proper person test?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Wigan on 22:08 - May 24 with 3258 viewswkj

Wigan on 22:07 - May 24 by Pendejo

When did Bolton get expelled from the league?

Aldershot and Maidstone did didn't they? Luton 15million point deduction dropped them out.

If any club has bad owners shouldn't shouldn't it be the FA and / or the EFL that's scrutinised for failing to conduct a robust fit and proper person test?

I worded it poorly. Bolton was facing that prospect but got rescued in the 13th hour, I should have clarified that was what they were facing.

Wigan on 22:10 - May 24 with 3237 viewsPendejo

Wigan on 22:08 - May 24 by wkj

I worded it poorly. Bolton was facing that prospect but got rescued in the 13th hour, I should have clarified that was what they were facing.

Fairynuff

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Wigan on 07:59 - May 25 with 2808 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

The way they are going, they’ll be non league of their own accord.

Egg chasing town anyway.
Wigan on 11:33 - May 25 with 2529 viewsjayessess

I do think it's astonishing that, yet again, someone completely unfit has been allowed to take over Wigan.

There's a vicious cycle here. Clubs get into trouble, you dock them points, they get into more trouble, until eventually the trouble gets so dire that the club's existence is imperilled. At which point you have to desperately cast around for anyone who wants to buy a mid-sized football club, which is basically a money pit. Everyone is then so anxious to prevent bankruptcy that there's an incentive to believe anyone who comes along saying they can and want to save the club. So, fans, local politicians, the EFL and the FA all breath a sigh of relief because a white knight has come along to save the day and the whole sorry dance begins again.

Until you impose rules/regulations that prevent these cycles from happening (ie. that eventually allow for all clubs to end up in the hands of responsible owners, including, for many of them, community trusts/forms of collective ownership, rather than private individuals), then I don't see what purpose the punishment is serving.
[Post edited 25 May 2023 11:34]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Wigan on 11:53 - May 25 with 2481 viewstractorboy1978

Wigan on 11:33 - May 25 by jayessess

I do think it's astonishing that, yet again, someone completely unfit has been allowed to take over Wigan.

There's a vicious cycle here. Clubs get into trouble, you dock them points, they get into more trouble, until eventually the trouble gets so dire that the club's existence is imperilled. At which point you have to desperately cast around for anyone who wants to buy a mid-sized football club, which is basically a money pit. Everyone is then so anxious to prevent bankruptcy that there's an incentive to believe anyone who comes along saying they can and want to save the club. So, fans, local politicians, the EFL and the FA all breath a sigh of relief because a white knight has come along to save the day and the whole sorry dance begins again.

Until you impose rules/regulations that prevent these cycles from happening (ie. that eventually allow for all clubs to end up in the hands of responsible owners, including, for many of them, community trusts/forms of collective ownership, rather than private individuals), then I don't see what purpose the punishment is serving.
[Post edited 25 May 2023 11:34]

There are some obvious contenders for people that shouldn't own football clubs for sure. I don't think the fit and proper persons test is particularly stringent at the moment. However, I do think it is quite hard to gauge who is 'fit and proper' too as it can change. As far as I am aware, all was hunky dory at Wigan last season - they invested money, appeared to be well intentioned and the players were paid? Was there any obvious sign they weren't fit and proper before they took over (I don't know the background/answer, just asking the question!).
[Post edited 25 May 2023 11:57]
Wigan on 13:00 - May 25 with 2351 viewsjayessess

Wigan on 11:53 - May 25 by tractorboy1978

There are some obvious contenders for people that shouldn't own football clubs for sure. I don't think the fit and proper persons test is particularly stringent at the moment. However, I do think it is quite hard to gauge who is 'fit and proper' too as it can change. As far as I am aware, all was hunky dory at Wigan last season - they invested money, appeared to be well intentioned and the players were paid? Was there any obvious sign they weren't fit and proper before they took over (I don't know the background/answer, just asking the question!).
[Post edited 25 May 2023 11:57]

I think only being able to prevent the "obvious contenders" is part of the issue here, I think. It's not enough just to catch people who are documented fraudsters.

Wigan's owners have evidently run out of money less than 2 years into their project. That should not be possible. It should not be possible to take over an EFL club without a serious plan to run the club sustainably over that sort of time period.

In those 2 years Wigan have been afflicted by no unforeseeable financial misfortunes. They've been as successful as they could have imagined on the pitch. There's no reason for them to be in this sort of trouble unless they simply didn't have the money to run the club. The EFL needs to take seriously the idea that "fit and proper" means "able to actually run the club sustainably on the revenues they can reasonably expect" not just "isn't a convicted criminal".

Login to get fewer ads

Wigan on 13:19 - May 25 with 2302 viewstractorboy1978

Wigan on 13:00 - May 25 by jayessess

I think only being able to prevent the "obvious contenders" is part of the issue here, I think. It's not enough just to catch people who are documented fraudsters.

Wigan's owners have evidently run out of money less than 2 years into their project. That should not be possible. It should not be possible to take over an EFL club without a serious plan to run the club sustainably over that sort of time period.

In those 2 years Wigan have been afflicted by no unforeseeable financial misfortunes. They've been as successful as they could have imagined on the pitch. There's no reason for them to be in this sort of trouble unless they simply didn't have the money to run the club. The EFL needs to take seriously the idea that "fit and proper" means "able to actually run the club sustainably on the revenues they can reasonably expect" not just "isn't a convicted criminal".

Have they run out of money or just lost interest/it has slipped down their priority list when it has become clear that running a football club isn't all gravy with them struggling in the Championship? This might just be anecdotal, but I've got numerous first hand examples via my job of wealthy investors (particularly Middle Eastern) that just decide to turn the tap off. They are the types it is quite hard to ever detect or prevent.
Wigan on 13:28 - May 25 with 2260 viewsitfcjoe

Wigan on 13:00 - May 25 by jayessess

How can the EFL deal with people who just decide to stop finding - bigger example but Mel Morris bumped a couple of hundred million in to Derby then decided to stop, ME could have decided to stop here.

No investors are going to stick down bonds, the EFL just has to do their best and can only really stop fraudsters or those with previous issues

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Wigan on 13:36 - May 25 with 2235 viewsBseaBlue

Wigan on 13:28 - May 25 by itfcjoe

How can the EFL deal with people who just decide to stop finding - bigger example but Mel Morris bumped a couple of hundred million in to Derby then decided to stop, ME could have decided to stop here.

No investors are going to stick down bonds, the EFL just has to do their best and can only really stop fraudsters or those with previous issues

Football is a business now. Ultimately, if businesses can't find funds or continue to operate financially, they liquidate. Football clubs always seem to get bailed out for some mad reason!

The larger issue is the fees and wages involved in the game which has never been controlled properly to allow it to run sustainably. You are bang on RE investors and owners getting fed up and pulling funds, but if the level of investment was controlled via further restrictions on financial fair play etc then surely that would protect the long-term future of the clubs.

There are too many loop holes and not enough sanctions for the clubs that take the gamble.
Wigan on 12:41 - May 26 with 1882 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Yet another points deduction for them today.

As things stand they will start new season with minus 8.
Wigan on 13:26 - May 26 with 1802 viewsclive_baker

Wigan on 12:41 - May 26 by Mach_foreignBlue

On the plus side it does make for a cool FM save. I love a bit of adversity.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Wigan on 14:44 - May 26 with 1714 viewswkj

Wigan on 13:26 - May 26 by clive_baker

On the plus side it does make for a cool FM save. I love a bit of adversity.

-8 points and only able to use the youth academy, good luck with that (without save scumming)
[Post edited 26 May 2023 14:44]

Wigan on 14:50 - May 26 with 1697 viewsclive_baker

Wigan on 14:44 - May 26 by wkj

-8 points and only able to use the youth academy, good luck with that (without save scumming)
[Post edited 26 May 2023 14:44]

You've not seen me at work. I'll romp L1.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Wigan on 14:58 - May 26 with 1686 viewsjayessess

Wigan on 13:36 - May 25 by BseaBlue

Football is a business now. Ultimately, if businesses can't find funds or continue to operate financially, they liquidate. Football clubs always seem to get bailed out for some mad reason!

The larger issue is the fees and wages involved in the game which has never been controlled properly to allow it to run sustainably. You are bang on RE investors and owners getting fed up and pulling funds, but if the level of investment was controlled via further restrictions on financial fair play etc then surely that would protect the long-term future of the clubs.

There are too many loop holes and not enough sanctions for the clubs that take the gamble.

It comes down to football clubs simultaneously being two things - (a) a business (b) an integral part of the civic culture in most English towns/cities. The second thing is why everybody involved - the FA, EFL, the Government, local politicians, communities - desperately try to avoid liquidations.

Everyone tends to take that responsibility very seriously when clubs are on the brink, but not the rest of the time.

Wigan on 15:37 - May 26 with 1649 viewsHipsterectomy

The American guy who came very close to buying Derby and passed the 'fit and proper' test is apparently facing prison time

The EFL are not fit for purpose

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Wigan on 15:42 - May 26 with 1623 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Wigan on 15:37 - May 26 by Hipsterectomy

The American guy who came very close to buying Derby and passed the 'fit and proper' test is apparently facing prison time

The EFL are not fit for purpose

EFL allowing Marcus Evans to own and destroy ITFC.

Nothing can beat that.
Wigan on 15:59 - May 26 with 1567 viewsberkstractorboy

Wigan on 12:41 - May 26 by Mach_foreignBlue

And Wigan claiming its all very unfair and will take legal action as money is imminent! They have been in dialogue with EFL, know the deadlines so I can't see whats unfair (other than to fans and players who have caused none of this). If they was a genuine banking issue holding up transfer I am sure the EFL would have adjusted deadlines rather than the excuses from owners who are not fit to be in control!
Wigan on 16:14 - May 26 with 1534 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Wigan on 21:22 - May 24 by wkj

But if they are failing to pay their creditors, then they are effectively "bust". Under the Football Credit Rule, the first creditors to be paid are players and any transfer fees owed. Even before HMRC, then all the other suppliers and staff. So if players are not being paid, no one is. The only hope for them is that it is a timing issue, in which case the 8 point deduction is appropriate. If however it goes on for a couple more weeks, you would think they will become insolvent. That's when they either need to find a new buyer, or leave the EFL.

Poll: would you rather

Wigan on 17:46 - May 26 with 1466 viewsMattinLondon

Wigan on 15:42 - May 26 by Mach_foreignBlue

Nothing can beat that.

I can’t believe that I’m going to defend Evans but….

He was incompetent and was an appalling owner but you can’t really compare him with the recklessness that characterises other owners.
Wigan on 19:25 - May 26 with 1390 viewsChurchman

Wigan on 17:46 - May 26 by MattinLondon

I can’t believe that I’m going to defend Evans but….

He was incompetent and was an appalling owner but you can’t really compare him with the recklessness that characterises other owners.

Indeed. He just gave us a slow death over a lights out whammo one. But seriously, you are right. Some of these people buying clubs are shameful. Up with that Allen Stamford, currently doing 110 years in an American prison for fraud, who cricket embraced.

I agree with the post that says English football authorities are not fit for purpose. They are not. Nor are they consistent with whatever rules they operate to. West Ham and an ineligible player? A fine. Swindon - relegation. Small club make an example.

Some clubs are expendable. Bury for one. Others get time and chances because they are important. I’m not sure Wigan are important enough and it may suit the weak EFL/FA to bin them as ‘an example’.
[Post edited 26 May 2023 19:26]
Wigan on 19:30 - May 26 with 1371 viewsSwansea_Blue

Possibly. Rangers is a good example, but I’m not sure if their misdemeanours were the same type as Wigan. I did here Man C were in the same ballpark as Rangers, but I don’t know if that’s true.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Wigan on 19:33 - May 26 with 1350 viewsHipsterectomy

Wigan on 19:25 - May 26 by Churchman

Indeed. He just gave us a slow death over a lights out whammo one. But seriously, you are right. Some of these people buying clubs are shameful. Up with that Allen Stamford, currently doing 110 years in an American prison for fraud, who cricket embraced.

I agree with the post that says English football authorities are not fit for purpose. They are not. Nor are they consistent with whatever rules they operate to. West Ham and an ineligible player? A fine. Swindon - relegation. Small club make an example.

Some clubs are expendable. Bury for one. Others get time and chances because they are important. I’m not sure Wigan are important enough and it may suit the weak EFL/FA to bin them as ‘an example’.
[Post edited 26 May 2023 19:26]

The NFT or bitcoin people who bought Crawley

They tried to sign a defender on a contract with a financial bonus per header in a game

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Wigan on 20:43 - May 26 with 1293 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Wigan on 15:42 - May 26 by Mach_foreignBlue

Nothing can beat that.

The sheer number of posters on here who were defending him until the very last minute goes someway to it. Posters who now think differently, but then hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it?

Frimmers still has a blog on his signature - "Marcus Evans Needs Our Support, Not To Be Hounded Out"

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024