Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Conceding first 19:20 - Nov 11 with 2843 viewstextbackup

Opinions on why it seems to keep happening?

My uneducated guess - information overload, they have so much information pre match they seem to overlook the basics… (total guess, but thought I’d start there)

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Conceding first on 19:30 - Nov 11 with 2453 viewsKeno

To paraphrase Danny Blanchflower the problem is that the opposition keep equalising before we take the lead

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Conceding first on 19:44 - Nov 11 with 2398 viewswkj

All part of KM's plan. Give them a false sense of security then overwhelm them. It's the pool-stark strategy being employed with perfection.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Conceding first on 19:47 - Nov 11 with 2374 viewsVic

I think it’s probably because they get the ball in the goal before we do.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Conceding first on 20:22 - Nov 11 with 2316 viewstonybied

Conceding first is not really a problem, in fact it shows we don't know when we're beaten to keep coming from behind. My main concern is conceding late far too often, it hasn't bitten us too much this season so far but will if it keeps happening.
Conceding first on 20:24 - Nov 11 with 2297 viewsTheBoyBlue

I'm all for saving all the faffing and just starting at 0-1.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Conceding first on 20:26 - Nov 11 with 2281 viewsSwansea_Blue

We’re inexperienced at this level and are up against many players who aren’t. I think it’s as simple as that. They’re a mix of types of goals too. Today’s was a bit like Rotherham’s equaliser in the week. Another set piece where we don’t clear our lines properly and pick up second balls or mark closely. Is it a zonal marking thing (not sure, not really paid close attention)?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Conceding first on 20:28 - Nov 11 with 2274 viewsStewart27

Today we conceded a non free kick and they scored.

Then we started being brilliant and almost forgot about the ref’s mistake.

The issue is giving ourselves a needlessly nervous finish.
Conceding first on 20:28 - Nov 11 with 2261 viewsFrimleyBlue

Interesting davis involved in both of the goals conceded recently.

Last week. Many were saying he should have headed the long ball to him to hirst rather than chesting it and losing it.

Today on the replay. Looks like Burgess is having words with him for losing his man..

Maybe it takes him a while to get going?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

Conceding first on 20:31 - Nov 11 with 2219 viewsDarkBrandon

Variance
Conceding first on 20:50 - Nov 11 with 2139 viewssolemio

Conceding first on 19:30 - Nov 11 by Keno

To paraphrase Danny Blanchflower the problem is that the opposition keep equalising before we take the lead

Danny Blanchflower: now there was a truly great player.
Conceding first on 21:07 - Nov 11 with 2071 viewsKeno

Conceding first on 20:50 - Nov 11 by solemio

Danny Blanchflower: now there was a truly great player.

Terry Venables tells a cracking story of how Blanchflower psyched him out on his Chelsea debut. Blanchflower had heard about this cocky lad Chelsea had and just before asked the ref for the match ball, walked over to young Terry and on handing him the ball said “have a look a this son, you’ll not be seeing again this afternoon”

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Conceding first on 00:04 - Nov 12 with 1895 viewsDubtractor

I think teams have worked out that they need to start REALLY bloody fast against us to try and stop us taking charge.

Most recent games have seen teams have an early press that they can't possibly sustain, which sees us struggle for a bit (often conceding!), but then the game momentum swings in our favour as they run out of steam.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Conceding first on 00:35 - Nov 12 with 1844 viewsredrickstuhaart

Conceding first on 20:28 - Nov 11 by FrimleyBlue

Last week. Many were saying he should have headed the long ball to him to hirst rather than chesting it and losing it.

Today on the replay. Looks like Burgess is having words with him for losing his man..

Just wrong. The words were about which of them went to close a man who Broadhead hadnt bothered following.
Conceding first on 01:09 - Nov 12 with 1804 viewsRocky

I don't think there's any pattern that can be corrected here. It's just the way things happen in the sequence of 2 or 3 matches. Before this sequence, we were often scoring early ourselves.
People look for patterns where there really isn't anything beyond good or bad luck.
Conceding first on 01:35 - Nov 12 with 1767 viewsStenvict

Conceding first on 20:28 - Nov 11 by FrimleyBlue

Here we go. Davis is the next player completely unnecessarily to be in the firing line.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Conceding first on 05:33 - Nov 12 with 1666 viewsBigCommon

I was thinking that perhaps, where we've had two new starters in Axel and Taylor in the last couple of games, there could just be a slight unfamiliarity when defending early doors... Even though they've both had decent games over the 90.
Also noted that the Rotherham late equaliser, came seconds after Mass was substituted for Ball.. Again, a player coming on, and not being up to speed and thought from the get go.. Not blaming Ball or KM.. Just think that a level of cohesion can be lost for a few minutes, when players are swapped in and out. And you don't get away with it, as much, defensively. Especially at this level, compared to L1..
No excuses for Swansea's late goal though.. Wolf should have either cleaned him out or showed him wide.. Perhaps a little fatigue, after a hectic recent shedule.. But you'd have thought, after Charlton away last season, we would have learned to take no chances whatsoever. So late in a match. Put ball and player into row Z , ala Williams style.
Conceding first on 08:00 - Nov 12 with 1437 viewsElderGrizzly

Is the tinkering with the back line the issue? Are we trying to be too clever game by game?

New partnerships finding their feet or old ones reacquainting? When was the last two games we had the same two CDs in a row?

The end result appears to have justified the changes, but early in a game is it an issue?
Conceding first on 08:15 - Nov 12 with 1397 viewswkj

Conceding first on 08:00 - Nov 12 by ElderGrizzly

Is the tinkering with the back line the issue? Are we trying to be too clever game by game?

New partnerships finding their feet or old ones reacquainting? When was the last two games we had the same two CDs in a row?

The end result appears to have justified the changes, but early in a game is it an issue?

I think that the issue on the right is a big part of the CD conundrum right now. Not to bash Clarke, but he's had a few errors in him where CD have had to cover him and lose a bit of shape to the back line. We've missed Burns here who will also sprint the length of the pitch to cover at times - once Williams and Burns are back on the right I have a feeling the who defensive backline will settle down and a regular partnership will become clear.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Conceding first on 08:27 - Nov 12 with 1358 viewsheavyweight

What I loved about conceding first today , was that I was totally unconcerned . I watched the Swansea supporters celebrate with a sort of amused benevolence thinking "you have no idea what's about to hit you" . Turns out I was right, it really was a superb first half only spoiled by a bit of wastefullness in front of goal.
Conceding first on 08:35 - Nov 12 with 1336 viewstextbackup

Conceding first on 08:27 - Nov 12 by heavyweight

What I loved about conceding first today , was that I was totally unconcerned . I watched the Swansea supporters celebrate with a sort of amused benevolence thinking "you have no idea what's about to hit you" . Turns out I was right, it really was a superb first half only spoiled by a bit of wastefullness in front of goal.

The worry is that we concede, Chuck everything at the opposition but it just doesn’t click… and you know the game when it’ll happen! (Hint, they play in yellow)

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Conceding first on 08:39 - Nov 12 with 1308 viewsbluefunk

Conceding first on 08:35 - Nov 12 by textbackup

The worry is that we concede, Chuck everything at the opposition but it just doesn’t click… and you know the game when it’ll happen! (Hint, they play in yellow)

Watford?
Conceding first on 08:41 - Nov 12 with 1298 viewsheavyweight

Conceding first on 08:35 - Nov 12 by textbackup

I think you worry too much. Just enjoy.
Conceding first on 08:50 - Nov 12 with 1261 viewsElderGrizzly

Conceding first on 08:15 - Nov 12 by wkj

I think that the issue on the right is a big part of the CD conundrum right now. Not to bash Clarke, but he's had a few errors in him where CD have had to cover him and lose a bit of shape to the back line. We've missed Burns here who will also sprint the length of the pitch to cover at times - once Williams and Burns are back on the right I have a feeling the who defensive backline will settle down and a regular partnership will become clear.

Agree we miss Williams and Burns for their athleticism and ability to defend.

We did of course have an established CD partnership of 25+ games until Burgess was swapped out for 1 game.

Will be interesting how McKenna ‘fixes’ it, as his interviews do appear more frustrated with errors making things harder than they need to be.
Conceding first on 08:52 - Nov 12 with 1250 viewsChurchman

Conceding first on 05:33 - Nov 12 by BigCommon

I was thinking that perhaps, where we've had two new starters in Axel and Taylor in the last couple of games, there could just be a slight unfamiliarity when defending early doors... Even though they've both had decent games over the 90.
Also noted that the Rotherham late equaliser, came seconds after Mass was substituted for Ball.. Again, a player coming on, and not being up to speed and thought from the get go.. Not blaming Ball or KM.. Just think that a level of cohesion can be lost for a few minutes, when players are swapped in and out. And you don't get away with it, as much, defensively. Especially at this level, compared to L1..
No excuses for Swansea's late goal though.. Wolf should have either cleaned him out or showed him wide.. Perhaps a little fatigue, after a hectic recent shedule.. But you'd have thought, after Charlton away last season, we would have learned to take no chances whatsoever. So late in a match. Put ball and player into row Z , ala Williams style.

Butcher and Osman mentioned this on Life’s a Pitch and I think it’s a fair point. A defence with the same players week in, week out develop a real rapport.

However, I don’t think it was just about the defence conceding or different players. We couldn’t get the ball off them anywhere on the pitch in the early stages. They swamped us and threw the kitchen sink at it. It was never going to last of course, and so it proved. Down the pan Swansea went.

I think, as was alluded to by KM, it’s just one of those phases you go through. The second Swansea goal looked a bit soft from our perspective. Lowe did well, but I agree with you in that he should have been cleaned out or herded away.

I guess we aren’t the greatest at game management and this is something to improve on? But whatever our failings may be, our results and that table are extraordinary. 39 points by mid November? I need to give my head a wobble just to check it’s not a dream.
Conceding first on 08:53 - Nov 12 with 1238 viewsMK1

I am sure that McKenna is all over it. No need for us simpletons to worry about it. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024