Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood 12:51 - Mar 14 with 72568 viewswkj

Seems as J2 bought up that Toys R Us are crocked, it got me thinking about other shops in the town that were memorable for me as a child, the two that stick out the most are:

John Menzies (which then became HMV i think) as going up those stairs felt like the coolest thing, and it is the first place I ever saw a 1kg slab of cadburys at christmas.

Grimwades as they has a beautiful pork pie type dinner in their restaurant on the upper floors.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:52 - Apr 11 with 7635 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:46 - Apr 11 by north_stand77

I loved the skinhead/smoothie style with brogues, Chelsea laces, Ben Sherman and Brutus shirts with button down collars! I used to buy my shirts from Inces in Stowmarket. TWTD

I was always a mod but got swayed to the Rude Boy dark side for 6 months.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:58 - Apr 11 with 7626 viewsPJH

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 18:16 - Apr 11 by gainsboroughblue

I don't remember McNeil's being on Tacket Street I must admit. It was on Upper Brook Street though (opposite Sainsburys). Before that, it was on the corner of Museum Street/High Street round the back of M&S I believe, before that became Sports Image.

Then you had Peachey's on St Matthews Street which took over from Liptons.

This was all before JJB and the like.

I had got it into my head that Mick McNeil's was the shop that became Clayton's but looks like I was wrong.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:02 - Apr 11 with 7621 viewsBluespeed225

Have to join in this one! As a littl’un, Albert Lists, Youngsters, and Woolies downstairs, the Co-op Grotto and Corders restaurant for a posh tea with Aunties! A bit older, MIck McNeil for Subutteo stuff, Peacheys to just touch Adidas World Cup 78’s, so soft! Teens, back to Mick’s for Fred Perry’s, the cafe in Newsteads next to The Falcon, as a Mod kid, it was still 60’s orange vanilla booth heaven! Parka off the market where Crown Pools stands, nice sweater from Nicklebys on Crown st, round the corner to Sports Image(formerly Aldridges), for a Pringle, Andy Moore’s scooter shop on Felixstowe Rd, now the hire shop, for a dodgy MOT and his tales of Millwall 78’! Then the pubs...
10 pager this one!
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:12 - Apr 11 with 7606 viewsnorth_stand77

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 19:47 - Apr 11 by Bluish

I have vague memories of the fish counter in Woolies from late 70's, with it's nets and possibly water running behind it?

I think I remember the fish counter, towards the back of the store on the left?
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:54 - Apr 11 with 7566 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:23 - Mar 14 by FrimleyBlue

JJB With the basketball cage inside it.

The café in tower ramparts. Cup of milk for 40p

I was looking for a photo of this cage the other day! Bonus points for anyone who has one....
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:54 - Apr 11 with 7565 viewsITFC_Forever

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 15:57 - Apr 11 by itfcjoe

Can anyone remember when there was a big industrial sports shop out in Sproughton(?) retail park - maybe sports division?

Was mega cheap and stock from floor to ceiling, used to have a membership card to go and it was always packed.

Yep, late 90s.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:58 - Apr 11 with 7562 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:54 - Apr 11 by ITFC_Forever

Yep, late 90s.

I thought I was going mad when I was trying to explain this to someone the other day! It also reminded me of a wholesale Sports Direct... Le Coq Sportif everywhere!!!
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 22:02 - Apr 11 with 7555 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Mick McNeils, Ridleys (The Viking Room restaurant was great), Andy's Records.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 22:08 - Apr 11 with 7542 viewsjeera

I'm not sure that miss would be the right word, but I spent a good deal of time in Parrot Records in my teens.

Also Baccus along by the Salutation somewhere did some trendy clothing in its day.

There was another little men's shop which was more exclusive around the corner, possibly nearer the Cock n Pye but damned if I can remember its name.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 22:55 - Apr 11 with 7501 viewsNorthstaNder

Aaaah Albert Lists! Got my x-wing fighter from there :)

Everybodies Hobbies...many a Subbuteo team bought from there. Along with model railway stuff with my Dad, and star wars toys.

Also loved War & Peace when I was into D&D!
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 23:30 - Apr 11 with 7471 viewsMerthyrblue

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:46 - Apr 11 by ClassicBlueTractor

Footmans. (Before Debenhams)
Timothy Whites (now Boots)
Liptons (supermarket Chain)
Jontys (Men’s clothing the first ITFC David Johnson)

Jonty's is still there as i was delighted to discover on my first visit for many years recently.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 00:19 - Apr 12 with 7446 viewsMVBlue

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 23:30 - Apr 11 by Merthyrblue

Jonty's is still there as i was delighted to discover on my first visit for many years recently.

Computer Magic
Virgin Megastore. That was very good indeed, no one mentioned it? Very 90s, blew Andy’s Records out of the water.
McKenzies
Tandys
Everybody’s Hobbies.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2019 0:22]

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 01:37 - Apr 12 with 7415 viewsIPS_wich

Some great memories from growing up - Andy's Records, Mick McNeils and Everybodies Hobbies stand out particularly for me.

It's been mentioned a couple of times in the thread, but my first ever Saturday job was at John Menzies when I was 14 in the late 80s). I split my time between the records/computer games section and the special orders desk at the back of the shop. The latter was just a complete doss because you would see one customer every 15-20 minutes. I still remember this one customer (probably in his 40s) who one week ordered a copy of 'Joy of Sex' and then came in to collect it the next week - with my somewhat immature 14 year old self giggling on both occasions - poor bloke he must have hated coming back in the second week and seeing the same obnoxious teenager behind the counter who had laughed in his face the week before!!

Also a shout out for Clowns restaurant (I also worked there a couple of nights a week when I was doing my A-levels).
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 08:40 - Apr 12 with 7379 viewsBrentwoodBlagger

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:46 - Apr 11 by ClassicBlueTractor

Footmans. (Before Debenhams)
Timothy Whites (now Boots)
Liptons (supermarket Chain)
Jontys (Men’s clothing the first ITFC David Johnson)

Oh my god! I remember Footmans well and buying what I thought was trendy gear from Jonty's before a night out at Tracy's Nightclub, where big Jake was the doorman......memories!!
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 08:59 - Apr 12 with 7363 viewsuefacup81

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:06 - Apr 11 by clive_baker

I'm struggling to recall the name, but I want to say Brian Page sports shop? Anyone remember that? Remember going there for a yellow Mitre Delta Premier League ball with my old man when I was about 8. What a ball that was, scored some screamers with that.

McDonalds deserves a mention. Not the multiple out of town, newer drive thru nonsense, I'm talking 90's high street, plastic bucket seats, brown everywhere, tiled floor, Chinese lady sweeping up. Used to feel like the absolute b0llocks up on the top deck when that was open.

I think the chinese lady is still there!

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:02 - Apr 12 with 7361 viewsuefacup81

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 18:05 - Apr 11 by caught-in-limbo

"The Scout Shop" rings a distant bell - perhaps it changed its name after that?

I think it just disappeared with the decline in Scouting over the last 20 years.

I'm a Scout leader at a city-centre group these days, and we have 10 members. We've got loads of old records and literature in our store cupboard, and it seems that back in the 60s and 70s almost every boy was a member of some sort of youth organisation.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:26 - Apr 12 with 7333 viewsballycastle

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:41 - Apr 11 by caught-in-limbo

I don't remember a Mick McNeil's near the Great White Horse at all, then I think you might be a bit older than me.

The Great White Horse was the place to go to get served if you were under age. I remember going there a lot and then getting refused a drink the first time I was legally able to drink there.

Scenes.

The Great White Horse, what a waste of what was a superb building, one memory I have as a yoof was getting chucked out by the doormen through a revolving door and straight back in.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:35 - Apr 12 with 7320 viewsBrentwoodBlagger

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:26 - Apr 12 by ballycastle

The Great White Horse, what a waste of what was a superb building, one memory I have as a yoof was getting chucked out by the doormen through a revolving door and straight back in.

Whilst on subject of drinking establishments in town, does anyone remember the old Manor Ballroom in the late 70's - a proper rough house on certain nights!
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 10:33 - Apr 12 with 7288 viewsballycastle

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:35 - Apr 12 by BrentwoodBlagger

Whilst on subject of drinking establishments in town, does anyone remember the old Manor Ballroom in the late 70's - a proper rough house on certain nights!

Was a regular Manor attendee for the Punk nights, what a time to be alive, Town at the top of Europe and raw exciting rock and roll music.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 10:43 - Apr 12 with 7271 viewsBloomBlue

Walton's surgical appliance. I never remember going to it I just remember being fascinated by its name when people said "you can get that at Walton's surgical appliance in Ipswich"
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 10:51 - Apr 12 with 7260 viewsazuremerlangus

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 10:33 - Apr 12 by ballycastle

Was a regular Manor attendee for the Punk nights, what a time to be alive, Town at the top of Europe and raw exciting rock and roll music.

Remember the Manor but just before my time for nights out.

Earliest nights out for me involved (amongst many others):

The Swan - the starting pub.
Coach and Horses on Upper Brook Street.
That night club in the Buttermarket (pre-shopping centre) - name escapes me.
The town house.
Crown and Anchor.The Running Buck/Canes (and the nightclub behind it)
The nightclub in the Carr Street shopping centre tower bit (Rumours?)

Pub crawls down the Norwich Road starting at the Maypole. The Safe Harbour was avoided because it was anything but. Rarely made it past the Inkerman...
[Post edited 12 Apr 2019 10:56]

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:13 - Apr 12 with 7243 viewsITFC_Forever

Matthews tv shop.

Every game back in the day was preceded by "It's got to be Matthews! And now, sponsored by Fisons, here come your team - IPSWICH TOWN!" - followed by the Entry of the Gladiators tune, more commonly known as the clown music.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:14 - Apr 12 with 7242 viewssolemio

Good player, Mick McNeil.

I'm sure I remember one of his shops in Upper Brook Street at one time, fairly near the Great White Horse, but on the other side of the road.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:40 - Apr 12 with 7214 viewsWeWereZombies

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:35 - Apr 12 by BrentwoodBlagger

The Manor Ballroom was no rough house in the early to middle seventies but what a great venue. One of the best gigs I have ever been to happened there, Graham Parker and the Rumour. Also special mentions to Thin Lizzy, Man, Babe Ruth, Renaissance, Isotope. And the gig I most regret not going to in hindsight - Horslips. Even blagged my way past the door on the way back from a concert by Man at the Gaumont (having been given complimentary tickets in The Swan because so few had been sold) to see the final couple of songs by some unknown metal band called Judas Priest there.

We do seem to have veered off shops and childhood here, although if you are a Suffolk Boy I suppose childhood does last at least into your thirties.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:58 - Apr 12 with 7193 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 10:51 - Apr 12 by azuremerlangus

Remember the Manor but just before my time for nights out.

Earliest nights out for me involved (amongst many others):

The Swan - the starting pub.
Coach and Horses on Upper Brook Street.
The town house.
Crown and Anchor.The Running Buck/Canes (and the nightclub behind it)
The nightclub in the Carr Street shopping centre tower bit (Rumours?)

Pub crawls down the Norwich Road starting at the Maypole. The Safe Harbour was avoided because it was anything but. Rarely made it past the Inkerman...
[Post edited 12 Apr 2019 10:56]

It wasn't a night club but a bar, I used it a fair bit, from memory I remember having to go up some stairs a bit but I think there might also have been another bar on the left as you go in - the memory fades.

Anyhoo, it was Limmers Tavern - AKA Dukes.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024