Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood 12:51 - Mar 14 with 72634 viewswkj

Seems as J2 bought up that Toys R Us are crocked, it got me thinking about other shops in the town that were memorable for me as a child, the two that stick out the most are:

John Menzies (which then became HMV i think) as going up those stairs felt like the coolest thing, and it is the first place I ever saw a 1kg slab of cadburys at christmas.

Grimwades as they has a beautiful pork pie type dinner in their restaurant on the upper floors.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:29 - Mar 14 with 7477 viewsFrimleyBlue

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:27 - Mar 14 by J2BLUE

Woolworths. Some very happy memories of going there with my nan for breakfast and then her buying me about 30 packets of football stickers.

Woolworths reminds me of when life was good.

Thing-me-bobs is another one. Full of total sh1te but just a reminder of better times.

Actually scary story about that Café

Was with my dad and across from us was the lady who had teddys as children. She had 4 sat at the table, she had food for all of them

freaked me out a gooden

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:30 - Mar 14 with 7469 viewswkj

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:29 - Mar 14 by FrimleyBlue

Was with my dad and across from us was the lady who had teddys as children. She had 4 sat at the table, she had food for all of them

freaked me out a gooden

You know that sounds really familiar, either I have heard someone say that before or saw it as a kid, or my brain just associates familiarity with it.

Crybaby

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:40 - Mar 14 with 7457 viewsJ2BLUE

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:29 - Mar 14 by FrimleyBlue

freaked me out a gooden

Missed a trick there. Should have gone up to one of them and said 'alright mate? Got that twenty quid you owe me?'

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:46 - Mar 14 with 7441 viewswkj

freaked me out a gooden

I knew Bish had a sister, was unaware fo two other siblings tho

Crybaby

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:52 - Mar 14 with 7431 viewsDebsyAngel

Woolworths definitely. Andy's Records. And all the decent shoe shops - Dolci's, Stead and Simpson, Ravel.... nowhere decent now to get a good pair of shoes
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 08:48 - Apr 11 with 6863 viewsFuturist8283

Rovian (Queen St) and Mick McNeils (Tacket St) in the early 80s. which sports shop was at the top of High St near Crown St? I got my Adidas Samba from there in 83. Was it still Aldridges?

Any other sports shops in Ipswich in late 70s/early 80s?
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 08:51 - Apr 11 with 6861 viewsFuturist8283

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:01 - Mar 14 by Lord_Lucan

Not really my childhood but I liked Mintz and Davies

and I miss the Snooker Hall

and Barnaby Rudge clothes shop in Carr St, had some good gear in there, once spent a week's YTS allowance in there on 2 jumpers, that was a lot in 83. It was on same side of street as Carr Precinct. I was ignorant of Dickens at the time, I didnt realise where the shop got its name.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 08:55 - Apr 11 with 6857 viewsFuturist8283

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:04 - Mar 14 by Footballpete

Ipswich Record and Tape Exchange (aka Smelly's)
Rex Records
RUDE

ORWELL books next to the Spread Eagle, all the Dungeons & Dragons books and stuff and lots of good books. I miss that place. Also Amberstones in the Wash in the 90s. Ipswich Market on a big car park where Crown Pools is now, massive and the best second hand book stall ever. The market was there around 80-82 then it moved across to where Tower Ramparts had been demolished. Around the late 80s it moved to near the Civic Centre. Jeans off the market were good value.
Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:06 - Apr 11 with 6846 viewsGeoffSentence

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:01 - Mar 14 by wkj

Argos has a clever strategy where by they offer same day delivery. Argos is always my go to shop if I need something on the day for whatever reason, and I think they do a massive Christmas trade as people don't have to spend ages browsing the aisles. Also they are able to store a lot of stock in a lot less space than traditional stores, so probably have lower overheads than most.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2018 13:02]

the same day delivery is brilliant. I ordered a lawnmower from them and it was delivered in less than three hours.

Now all I need is somewhere that can do the same for £20 trousers.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:13 - Apr 11 with 6838 viewsitfcjoe

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:06 - Apr 11 by GeoffSentence

the same day delivery is brilliant. I ordered a lawnmower from them and it was delivered in less than three hours.

Now all I need is somewhere that can do the same for £20 trousers.

That is why Sainsburys bought them, because their logistics are so good.

Most of stores have been mentioned but I have good memories of....

Everybodys Hobbies when it was on corner which later became Edwards and a million other bars, getting all my subbutteo from there.

Early Learning Centre when they had the Brio trainset in the window to play with - sort of thing you can now buy from Costco for £40 but at the time felt so out of reach and unobtainable

JJB Sports when they had the cages in the middle

Virgin Megastore when you could play the new games on the demo stations

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:34 - Apr 11 with 6813 viewsJubba1975

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:05 - Mar 14 by SpruceMoose

<a href=" https://imgflip.com/i/26d1y9"> src=" https://i.imgflip.com/26d1y9.jpg" title="made at imgflip.com"/></a>

Floor to ceiling, beautiful!
Page sports
Oliver's
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:35 - Apr 11 with 6812 viewsFuturist8283

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:01 - Mar 14 by Lord_Lucan

Not really my childhood but I liked Mintz and Davies

and I miss the Snooker Hall

Mintz (or Mince!) and Davies was pretty good in the mid-late 80s. In the Carr Precinct around 82 as you went into the Carr Precinct on the left in the tunnel was aclothes shop, I bought several of those american football shirts from there. Later or next door on the corner there was a record shop there (dont remember the name). Also Martin's bookshop in the Carr Precinct about 75, it became that Christian bookshop. Martins had all the Target Dr Who books.

What about JAH records? on Woodbridge Road near the Masons Arms? I went in there in 79 as an innocent teenager not realising it was all reggae music, place was all Rastas, I was after a chart record lol , in the wrong place!
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:46 - Apr 11 with 6801 viewsFuturist8283

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:52 - Mar 14 by DebsyAngel

Woolworths definitely. Andy's Records. And all the decent shoe shops - Dolci's, Stead and Simpson, Ravel.... nowhere decent now to get a good pair of shoes

Andy's Records opened in 80/81 I remember some people skiving off school to go to the opening. It was very atmospheric in that ancient building in St Nicholas St.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:48 - Apr 11 with 6796 viewsFuturist8283

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:04 - Mar 14 by Footballpete

Ipswich Record and Tape Exchange (aka Smelly's)
Rex Records
RUDE

Where were those? there were a few independent record shops in east Ipswich, Adams in Spring Road (near Kirby St) and one on Cauldwell Hall Road (near Derby Road). in the late 70s. Square Deal on Norwich Road, was there until at least 83.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:49 - Apr 11 with 6795 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:56 - Mar 14 by wkj

Everybody's hobbies really was an amazing place

Certainly was. Most favourite shop ever.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 10:10 - Apr 11 with 6765 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 09:35 - Apr 11 by Futurist8283

Mintz (or Mince!) and Davies was pretty good in the mid-late 80s. In the Carr Precinct around 82 as you went into the Carr Precinct on the left in the tunnel was aclothes shop, I bought several of those american football shirts from there. Later or next door on the corner there was a record shop there (dont remember the name). Also Martin's bookshop in the Carr Precinct about 75, it became that Christian bookshop. Martins had all the Target Dr Who books.

What about JAH records? on Woodbridge Road near the Masons Arms? I went in there in 79 as an innocent teenager not realising it was all reggae music, place was all Rastas, I was after a chart record lol , in the wrong place!

Some great pictures of Mintz and Davis here, although this is the Romford store I think, or possibly Chelmsford.

Proper oldskool.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/joe13611/sets/72157632730009833/with/8461431530/

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 10:48 - Apr 11 with 6725 viewstractorshark

Was Everybody’s Hobbies the toy shop in Northgate Street??
I lived in Sussex but every time I came to Ipswich with my dad, we’d go in there and I’d buy some Subbuteo.
I think I managed to get Uruguay in there, which was considered pretty rare at the time.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 10:54 - Apr 11 with 6713 viewsMJallday

Not an ipswich one - but i always miss Andy's Records from Bury st edmunds.
that and "computer magic"

as far as ipswich goes, many hours spent in the buttermarket Wimpey :)

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 10:58 - Apr 11 with 6703 viewsGeoffSentence

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 10:54 - Apr 11 by MJallday

Wimpy is an artifact from the 70s, how come it is still going?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:00 - Apr 11 with 6704 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 10:54 - Apr 11 by MJallday

Wimpey was on Upper Brook Street.

There are three things in my life that I will never forget.

"Ipswich isn't big enough for a McDonalds" - Manager of Wimpey

"Ipswich isn't big enough for a Whetherspoons" - Landlord of Duke and Gloucester

"The EU have already said they won't change that" - TWTD

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:06 - Apr 11 with 6685 viewsMJallday

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:00 - Apr 11 by Lord_Lucan

Wimpey was on Upper Brook Street.

There are three things in my life that I will never forget.

"Ipswich isn't big enough for a McDonalds" - Manager of Wimpey

"Ipswich isn't big enough for a Whetherspoons" - Landlord of Duke and Gloucester

"The EU have already said they won't change that" - TWTD

hahahaha

i remember in BSE they put the wimpey right next to macdonalds.

fat kids from KEGS used to stand outside them and look from side to side wondering which one to choose that day.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:12 - Apr 11 with 6672 viewsNBVJohn

Andy’s Records for my teen years
Mick McNeill’s for my childhood; the latest Town kit if I was really lucky, and seeing Adidas World Cup 78 boots in the window and just wishing......
Sadly, as I have lived in the Midlands for over 20 years now I don’t get to stroll through town much, although I did walk through on one Saturday last August with my son, and for some reason I got all misty eyed as we walked past the Co-Op. Probably memories of walking past for a pint or two in The Salutation prior to a gig at the Gaumont.

Happy days.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:25 - Apr 11 with 6656 viewsITFC_Forever

Here’s one no-one’s said and many of will ah e been to - Watson’s shoe shop on Heath Road.

Every kid in Ipswich seemed to get their school shoes in there.

Run by a kindly old couple (Mr & Mrs Watson) who had piles and piles and piles of shoe boxes stacked all around the shop - and they knew exactly what was in every one of them.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:27 - Apr 11 with 6653 viewsjontysnut

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 08:48 - Apr 11 by Futurist8283

Rovian (Queen St) and Mick McNeils (Tacket St) in the early 80s. which sports shop was at the top of High St near Crown St? I got my Adidas Samba from there in 83. Was it still Aldridges?

Any other sports shops in Ipswich in late 70s/early 80s?

there used to be sports shop opposite the side of the White Horse next to a florist can't remember then name. Got my first screw-in studs from Woolies - a pair of 'Winfields'. . Newsteads before Tooks?. The stamp shop. Out of town, Easton's junk shop on Woodbridge Road. Brown and Bradbrooks for army surplus gear. As Les Dawson once said ' my mum used to get all my clothes from army surplus. I was the only kid at school dressed as a Japanese admiral'.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:38 - Apr 11 with 6633 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 11:27 - Apr 11 by jontysnut

there used to be sports shop opposite the side of the White Horse next to a florist can't remember then name. Got my first screw-in studs from Woolies - a pair of 'Winfields'. . Newsteads before Tooks?. The stamp shop. Out of town, Easton's junk shop on Woodbridge Road. Brown and Bradbrooks for army surplus gear. As Les Dawson once said ' my mum used to get all my clothes from army surplus. I was the only kid at school dressed as a Japanese admiral'.

That sounds like Clayton Sports to me.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024