Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood 12:51 - Mar 14 with 72628 viewswkj

Seems as J2 bought up that Toys R Us are crocked, it got me thinking about other shops in the town that were memorable for me as a child, the two that stick out the most are:

John Menzies (which then became HMV i think) as going up those stairs felt like the coolest thing, and it is the first place I ever saw a 1kg slab of cadburys at christmas.

Grimwades as they has a beautiful pork pie type dinner in their restaurant on the upper floors.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:59 - Aug 23 with 1118 viewsAsa

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:56 - Mar 14 by wkj

Everybody's hobbies really was an amazing place

I remember vividly getting home from school at about 14, jumping on a bus into Town, and heading in there excitedly to buy the Ipswich, Newcastle, Arsenal, Coventry and Palace Subbuteo teams with my birthday money and getting the massive poster that had all the teams and codes on it.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2023 13:00]
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:19 - Aug 23 with 1071 viewsblueasfook

Staples, or Ye Olde Staples as it was known back then.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:31 - Aug 23 with 1055 viewsthatbdude

Reading this thread made me realise how empty and characterless the town centre has become. It really is a shell of it's former self. So many key retailers are gone and it's just empty, especially compared to places nearby like Norwich and Cambridge (probably because they have to a pull to them that Ipswich doesn't). It's just sad really.

Poll: Who going down?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 16:25 - Aug 23 with 984 viewsElephantintheRoom

I remember great excitement when C&A opened

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 17:23 - Aug 23 with 963 viewsMattinLondon

Not a shop as in retail but Pargeters (sic) chippie that used to be on Camden Rd. The greatest chippie ever - Sheppie, chips and one of those mash potato things with onion in it yum yum. And a pineapple thing deep fried.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 18:40 - Aug 23 with 922 viewsblueprint

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:53 - Mar 14 by hype313

Red Eye Records, New Era, Trapeze, Phunk Chunk The Sport Shop next to Willy's and Milly's.

I remember travelling from Braintree to Red Eye and picking up a few nice Records on the Good Looking label. I guess your looking at your Avatar you’re a fan.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2023 18:49]
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 19:56 - Aug 23 with 872 viewsMookamoo

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:08 - Mar 14 by Dubtractor

The IRATE or smelly shop was what we called it.

Rex and compact music were pretty good too.

As a young kid I got loads of stuff from everybody's hobbies and Mortems stationers (become Chicago's) as they sold marbles.

Was at FolkEast at the weekend and I'm pretty sure I saw the guy from Record & Tape Exchange.

Very large and walking with sticks, but still very much still with us, which surprised me given how large he was
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:14 - Aug 23 with 853 viewsronnyd

Used to love going into Revetts to look at the shiny new bikes. Also had a shop in Stowmarket if i remember correctly.
Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:47 - Aug 23 with 835 viewsjontysnut

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 19:56 - Aug 23 by Mookamoo

Was at FolkEast at the weekend and I'm pretty sure I saw the guy from Record & Tape Exchange.

Very large and walking with sticks, but still very much still with us, which surprised me given how large he was

Apologies if it's been mentioned bit I've just remembered Looney Tunes, opposite the Falcon next to Gino's. A quick trim, a Dr Feelgood album and a French air force surplus shirt from Brown and Bradbrooks and the weekend was set up nicely.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:22 - Aug 23 with 819 viewsRyorry

Also apols if already mentioned, but when I was at Rope Walk Civic College in the early 70s, there was a bakery half way along the High St. which used to sell the most delectable, spice-laden (cinnamon, candied peels etc.) flattish rounds of a bread-cake hot from the oven. I always finished them before I'd got to the end of the street! Wonder if the bakery is still there, and still making the same cakes?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:38 - Aug 23 with 799 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 12:51 - Aug 23 by Matt_Netherlands

Barely a month goes by without me trying to remember the name of this place! I can picture it now. Felt more like a factory warehouse sale than a proper shop.

Are you sure it wasn't in Hadleigh?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:39 - Aug 23 with 798 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:31 - Aug 23 by thatbdude

Reading this thread made me realise how empty and characterless the town centre has become. It really is a shell of it's former self. So many key retailers are gone and it's just empty, especially compared to places nearby like Norwich and Cambridge (probably because they have to a pull to them that Ipswich doesn't). It's just sad really.

It’s not unique. There’s sod all here in Swansea (less than Ipswich when I was last there a couple of years ago). We’re twice the size too, with likely a much bigger catchment (all of South West Wales).

Not that that makes it any less depressing of course. I’m not sure how town/city centres are supposed to survive online shopping unless they go heavy on accommodation with niche service shops. I’d rather see/try what I’m buying, but it doesn’t look as though many others do.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 21:51 - Aug 23 with 792 viewslazyblue

Everybody’s Hobbies , loved all the remote control cars , planes etc etc
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 22:00 - Aug 23 with 786 viewsNthQldITFC

I used to buy a lot of my fun at Liberty's.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 22:02 - Aug 23 with 785 viewslazyblue

Also miss the sandwich shop Oliver’s and the egg mayo roll, gutted when that shut.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 22:18 - Aug 23 with 772 viewslazyblue

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:31 - Aug 23 by thatbdude

Agree
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 23:15 - Aug 23 with 735 views2-5-7

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 22:18 - Aug 23 by lazyblue

Agree

Martin & Newby's
Olivia's Nightclub - upstairs at Carr Precinct
Galaxy Models on Felixstowe Road
Everybody's Hobbies - ahhhhhhh
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 00:29 - Aug 24 with 708 viewsnorth_stand77

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 20:14 - Aug 23 by ronnyd

Used to love going into Revetts to look at the shiny new bikes. Also had a shop in Stowmarket if i remember correctly.

Yes, there was a Revetts in Stowmarket as well, corner of Ipswich Street and Milton Road I think. Was quite a bit smaller than the Ipswich one.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 07:17 - Aug 24 with 649 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:32 - Mar 14 by SpruceMoose

Had a decent selection of Cricket equipment too. Where does one go to buy an XXXL box nowadays?

Online: www.inyourdreams.com
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 07:50 - Aug 24 with 625 viewsHelp

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 13:04 - Mar 14 by Footballpete

Ipswich Record and Tape Exchange (aka Smelly's)
Rex Records
RUDE

Agree with all 3.
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 07:54 - Aug 24 with 620 viewsHelp

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 14:14 - Mar 14 by gainsboroughblue

Albert List
Mick McNeils
Evolution
Dolls Hospital
Rex Records
Andy's records
Martin and Newby

Agree on all dolls hospital great place
Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 07:54 - Aug 24 with 620 viewsWeWereZombies

Ipswich Shops you miss the most from your childhood on 23:15 - Aug 23 by 2-5-7

Martin & Newby's
Olivia's Nightclub - upstairs at Carr Precinct
Galaxy Models on Felixstowe Road
Everybody's Hobbies - ahhhhhhh

J found myself pitched next to someone who used to work in Martin and Newby's (ironmongery counter) when I was at FolkEast last weekend.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024