Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Think we're seeing the death of No deal... 14:14 - Jan 9 with 15767 viewsbluelagos

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:39 - Jan 9 with 3519 viewsGlasgowBlue

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 14:46 - Jan 9 by Steve_M

It was more a comment, both the original tweet and my positing of it, on the somewaht elastic regard for Parliamentary process of Brexit supporting Tory MPs.

The whole process has demonstrated the weakness of an unwritten constitution and the mess will take years to resolve constitutionally, let alone the effects on the country.

Fair enough. Just seemed out of character from you.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:43 - Jan 9 with 3516 viewsfactual_blue

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:16 - Jan 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

When Brexit was initially floated, there was the suggestion that we could leave with 'no deal' as we could agree trade deals with the rest of the world more easily.

No deal is still talked about as an option, yet there is zero sign of any potential trade deals with the rest of the world to make up for leaving the EU.

The morning after the referendum, govt departments were flooded with messages insisting their websites were out of date as we'd left the EU.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:44 - Jan 9 with 3490 viewsSpruceMoose

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:43 - Jan 9 by factual_blue

The morning after the referendum, govt departments were flooded with messages insisting their websites were out of date as we'd left the EU.

FFS Facters Out means OUT!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:47 - Jan 9 with 3490 viewsfactual_blue

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:44 - Jan 9 by SpruceMoose

FFS Facters Out means OUT!

Yeah, but you try arguing that at as a defence against a charge of indecent exposure.

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:47 - Jan 9 with 3466 viewsSpruceMoose

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:47 - Jan 9 by factual_blue

Yeah, but you try arguing that at as a defence against a charge of indecent exposure.

In that case out seems to mean pointing and laughing in my experience.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:47 - Jan 9 with 3478 viewsfactual_blue

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:24 - Jan 9 by SpruceMoose

We paid peanuts and got mentally incapable monkeys.

Comparing monkeys and tories is very, very unfair.

To the monkeys.

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:52 - Jan 9 with 3460 viewsBlueBadger

I see the people who spent ages telling people 'we won, you lost, get over it' are being very grown up about it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-46810637

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:53 - Jan 9 with 3455 viewsSomethingBlue

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 14:35 - Jan 9 by GlasgowBlue

When leavers put the threat of a punishment budget, falling house prices, higher unemployment, a 2016/17 recession etc as a counter argument to the Brexit Bus, people such as your good self object to the "the other side are doing it as well" argument.

You have just done that.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 14:35]

So are you whatabouting his whatabouting?
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 15:54]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:54 - Jan 9 with 3443 viewsSpruceMoose

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:52 - Jan 9 by BlueBadger

I see the people who spent ages telling people 'we won, you lost, get over it' are being very grown up about it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-46810637

"sad cowards, sitting in their living rooms with nothing better to do".

Savagely correct.

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:56 - Jan 9 with 3439 viewsGlasgowBlue

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:53 - Jan 9 by SomethingBlue

So are you whatabouting his whatabouting?
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 15:54]

No. I am saying that it's not something Steve usually engages in and is very critical of people who do.

I disagree with Steve on some political issues but voted for him as my poster of the year* because he is always very fair.

*Joint with SB
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 15:58]

Iron Lion Zion

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 16:10 - Jan 9 with 3419 viewsSteve_M

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:39 - Jan 9 by GlasgowBlue

Fair enough. Just seemed out of character from you.

Although I hadn't put too much thought into that particular post, I don't understand Parliamentary precedent well enough.

I do think that everything that has held the British state together for 300 years is up in the air at the moment and we aren't too far away from finding out how resilient it is.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 16:26 - Jan 9 with 3392 viewsxrayspecs

Not really.

The default position is that we leave on 29 March. That is in UK law. It is also in EU law.

There is only one deal on the table. The EU are not going to agree a new deal at this late stage. So we either have the PMs deal or no deal.

While many MPs do not want us to leave with no deal, there is no consensus on what the UK wants instead. While the UK can revoke article 50 unilaterally, we can only extend negotiations beyond March with the agreement of the other 27 EU member states.

The challenge for the no deal brigade is to both agree what they want instead (we are a long way from this) and to do so in the next few weeks so that we can try and persuade the EU to extend negotiations beyond March. That is not an easy ask.

While the UK can unilaterally revoke article 50, May is not going to do this and her party can not challenge her leadership for another 12 months. The key questions would be could Corbyn win a vote of no confidence in the government? Possibly, but that is far from certain as the Tories and DUP would surely vote this down. Even if he did win, he would still need a mandate from the public - another referendum - before revoking article 50 and the time for that has run out.

In the absence of an alternative deal around which MPs can align and with the clock ticking down, it appears to be a choice between the PM deal or no deal.
Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 16:30 - Jan 9 with 3386 viewsSwansea_Blue

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:24 - Jan 9 by GlasgowBlue

Aaron Banks referred to the National Crime Agency by GlasgowBlue 1 Nov 2018 14:40
Less a case of switching to remain and more a case of

A) Not having the politicians capable enough to deliver a forwards thinking globally inclusive Brexit that opens our country to both trade and immigration from outside the EU

B) too many racists and knuckle dragged associating themselves with Brexit

C) the wrong time to leave the EU with the world a far more volatile and uncertain place due to Trump and Putin

With regards to your last point; in what warped world would it make sense to vote for a racist and an antisemite (copyright Sir Trevor Phillips and Dame Margaret Hodge)?

Ah, ok. I hadn't seen that. Can't disagree with that logic.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 16:32 - Jan 9 with 3380 viewsSwansea_Blue

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:54 - Jan 9 by SpruceMoose

"sad cowards, sitting in their living rooms with nothing better to do".

Savagely correct.

Complete and utter losers aren't they? They should be like me - a sad coward, sitting in my office with nothing better to do

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 16:43 - Jan 9 with 3363 viewsGlasgowBlue

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 16:26 - Jan 9 by xrayspecs

Not really.

The default position is that we leave on 29 March. That is in UK law. It is also in EU law.

There is only one deal on the table. The EU are not going to agree a new deal at this late stage. So we either have the PMs deal or no deal.

While many MPs do not want us to leave with no deal, there is no consensus on what the UK wants instead. While the UK can revoke article 50 unilaterally, we can only extend negotiations beyond March with the agreement of the other 27 EU member states.

The challenge for the no deal brigade is to both agree what they want instead (we are a long way from this) and to do so in the next few weeks so that we can try and persuade the EU to extend negotiations beyond March. That is not an easy ask.

While the UK can unilaterally revoke article 50, May is not going to do this and her party can not challenge her leadership for another 12 months. The key questions would be could Corbyn win a vote of no confidence in the government? Possibly, but that is far from certain as the Tories and DUP would surely vote this down. Even if he did win, he would still need a mandate from the public - another referendum - before revoking article 50 and the time for that has run out.

In the absence of an alternative deal around which MPs can align and with the clock ticking down, it appears to be a choice between the PM deal or no deal.

The most sensible and balanced post I've read on this subject in a long time.

Somebody without bias in their post dealing with the facts.

Iron Lion Zion

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 16:52 - Jan 9 with 3352 viewsKievthegreat

Government now accepting amendments directly contradictory to withdrawal agreement.

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 16:57 - Jan 9 with 3340 viewsSwansea_Blue

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 16:52 - Jan 9 by Kievthegreat

Government now accepting amendments directly contradictory to withdrawal agreement.

So in an attempt to get the MPs to agree to May's deal that would allow for the implementation of the Withdrawal Agreement, the Govt is accepting amendments that would potentially invalidate the WA and thus prevent the implementation of May's deal?

Sounds like a great idea!

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 16:59 - Jan 9 with 3335 viewsxrayspecs

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 16:52 - Jan 9 by Kievthegreat

I wonder if this is a concession that May has secured from the EU to get the deal over the line? If she has, then she may just have pulled a rabbit out of the bag.
Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 17:02 - Jan 9 with 3327 viewsconnorscontract

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 15:28 - Jan 9 by GlasgowBlue

You do like to make up complete and utter bollox mate.

I always said that Cameron was the Tories best electoral asset but I could never figure out what he actually stood for.

I thought he was also very poor on delivering what he promised with regards to the Syrian refugees.

Just pulling your chain, old boy.

And your advocacy on refugees has been a constant, to your credit.
Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 17:03 - Jan 9 with 3320 viewsSwansea_Blue

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 16:59 - Jan 9 by xrayspecs

I wonder if this is a concession that May has secured from the EU to get the deal over the line? If she has, then she may just have pulled a rabbit out of the bag.

Is about the only scenario that makes any sense. No concessions have been publicised as far as I'm aware, but we'll have to wait and see I suppose. Without any concessions this looks like a very strange move.

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 17:07 - Jan 9 with 3309 viewsGlasgowBlue

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 16:59 - Jan 9 by xrayspecs

Can't see it myself. A Backstop can't be time limited, it's not a backstop if it has a time limit.

Having said that it could be clever politics by May. The DUP May support this amendment so she gets her deal through only for the EU to block it.

Iron Lion Zion

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 17:09 - Jan 9 with 3305 viewsxrayspecs

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 17:03 - Jan 9 by Swansea_Blue

Is about the only scenario that makes any sense. No concessions have been publicised as far as I'm aware, but we'll have to wait and see I suppose. Without any concessions this looks like a very strange move.

May clearly has something and we know that her focus has been on getting the unionists onside over the Irish border issues. Olly Robbins has spent the last month in Brussels trying to agree a form of words with the EU to provide "reassurance".

At face value, this is far more than many observers had expected. The devil will be in the detail though so we will have to wait and see what is actually on the table.

I just can not imagine that this would be a unilateral UK move.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 17:13]
Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 17:10 - Jan 9 with 3302 viewsconnorscontract

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 16:43 - Jan 9 by GlasgowBlue

The most sensible and balanced post I've read on this subject in a long time.

Somebody without bias in their post dealing with the facts.

Apart from the fact that it misses out the other option, pausing the Article 50 withdrawal period, although that requires permission from the other EU nations.

Which would almost certainly be granted to a new PM (of whatever party) but is less likely to be granted to May, who is perceived in Europe as having had her chance to do things her way.
Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 17:10 - Jan 9 with 3300 viewsGlasgowBlue

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 17:02 - Jan 9 by connorscontract

Just pulling your chain, old boy.

And your advocacy on refugees has been a constant, to your credit.

I'll let you off this time

Iron Lion Zion

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 17:13 - Jan 9 with 3295 viewsSwansea_Blue

Think we're seeing the death of No deal... on 17:09 - Jan 9 by xrayspecs

May clearly has something and we know that her focus has been on getting the unionists onside over the Irish border issues. Olly Robbins has spent the last month in Brussels trying to agree a form of words with the EU to provide "reassurance".

At face value, this is far more than many observers had expected. The devil will be in the detail though so we will have to wait and see what is actually on the table.

I just can not imagine that this would be a unilateral UK move.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 17:13]

I'm not convinced that just because it would be bonkers rules out it being a unilateral UK move!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024