Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you could turn back the clock.... 12:11 - Apr 2 with 12025 viewsitfcjoe

.....knowing everything you do now.

Who would you appoint as ITFC manager in summer 2018 following Mick leaving?

Realistic candidates only......

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If you could turn back the clock.... on 13:13 - Apr 2 with 2453 viewsLord_Lucan

If you could turn back the clock.... on 12:18 - Apr 2 by Reuser_is_God

Back then I was massively in favour of Jack Ross.

However I think had we appointed Lambert in the summer things would be hell of a lot different now.

I was also in favour of JR.

Strangely enough if Lambert had replaced Mick Mack I don't think it would have gone down well at all.

I also quite liked the Bristol Rovers bloke and Scott Parker - although Parker would have been a big gamble.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

If you could turn back the clock.... on 13:14 - Apr 2 with 2447 viewsLuciBlue

Was Helen Keller available ?

Poll: If you had to take one option..

If you could turn back the clock.... on 13:14 - Apr 2 with 2447 viewsFtnfwest

If you could turn back the clock.... on 12:45 - Apr 2 by Moisha

Jones was my first choice.... it’s interesting that since he has left, Luton have continued winning and scoring lots of goals.

Were they doing well because of him, or inspite of him??

Bit of both. They are a championship or League 1 club at worst that for years have been languishing in non league. The confidence there is just so high but he was able to continually replenish/change the players with 'upgrades' and get them to bed in seamlessly to the team which he had to do as they've risen so quickly. Played a very good style etc. I was a bit surprised when he left tbh but i suppose when you get the chance.... The Stoke thing won't happen overnight (if at all) but will be interesting to watch.
If you could turn back the clock.... on 13:16 - Apr 2 with 2434 viewsFtnfwest

If you could turn back the clock.... on 12:34 - Apr 2 by TRUE_BLUE123

Warburton
Jones
Steijn
Ross
Lampard
Gerrard
Parker
Unsworth
Burley

Would have been happy with any of these.
Hurst would also have been on this list at the time.

didn't really want another 'old hand' but the one i would have settled for was warburton. It's interesting how he hasn't managed to pick up any job this season though
If you could turn back the clock.... on 13:22 - Apr 2 with 2408 viewsBrixtonBlue

George Burley.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

If you could turn back the clock.... on 13:25 - Apr 2 with 2401 viewsMickeyMills

If you could turn back the clock.... on 12:12 - Apr 2 by Kieran_Knows

Nathan Jones.

he's been gone too long
If you could turn back the clock.... on 13:26 - Apr 2 with 2397 viewswkj

For curiosity I would lost to have seen what Jack Ross would have done

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Chambo, plus..... on 13:28 - Apr 2 with 2392 viewsBloots

....a Director of Football/Head of Recruitment.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2019 13:29]

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Login to get fewer ads

If you could turn back the clock.... on 13:34 - Apr 2 with 2366 viewsFixed_It

If you could turn back the clock.... on 12:47 - Apr 2 by TRUE_BLUE123

Oh right.

Yer you are right. If Evans said that then he is the fundamental problem (Which I think he is). So yes I agree.

Jesus - is this how people come to their blinkered views?
'IF Evans said that then yes he is the fundamental problem'...FFS.
He probably didn't say anything of the sort - but carry on - I'm sure there are plenty who would like to believe you and before long it will be stated as fact!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

If you could turn back the clock.... on 13:39 - Apr 2 with 2347 viewsPecker

If you could turn back the clock.... on 13:34 - Apr 2 by Fixed_It

He probably didn't say anything of the sort - but carry on - I'm sure there are plenty who would like to believe you and before long it will be stated as fact!

Don't think he would have chosen to have sold them, do you?
If you could turn back the clock.... on 13:44 - Apr 2 with 2329 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

If you could turn back the clock.... on 13:34 - Apr 2 by Fixed_It

Well what is wrong with that statement. If Evans said it then he is the fundamental problem. IF. That is just a reply to Peckers point.

That is not what I have based my dislike of Evans on. No need to cry about it tho mate.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

If you could turn back the clock.... on 13:54 - Apr 2 with 2307 viewswkj

The Evans argument is interesting, and while I don't think he is to exclusively blame, he put too much faith in Hurst. Evans has a record of liking the manager to take on a high level of responsibility which suits seasoned people like McCarthy and Lambert - though was a huge gamble with a manager as untested as Hurst.

That said Hurst rolled the dice with reckless abandon, and here we are.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2019 13:56]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:02 - Apr 2 with 2285 viewsDarth_Koont

We might have done better by promoting from within. Or at least bringing in a much less experienced coach from outside. Then perhaps they'd have looked to have learned from what we already had rather than bringing in their own ideas and players from the start.

Another Jim basically - even if they came from outside. Preferably without a profile like Gerrard or Lampard.

Pronouns: He/Him

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:07 - Apr 2 with 2269 viewsPecker

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:02 - Apr 2 by Darth_Koont

We might have done better by promoting from within. Or at least bringing in a much less experienced coach from outside. Then perhaps they'd have looked to have learned from what we already had rather than bringing in their own ideas and players from the start.

Another Jim basically - even if they came from outside. Preferably without a profile like Gerrard or Lampard.

Well, that's cleared that up then.
If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:11 - Apr 2 with 2261 viewsKieran_Knows

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:02 - Apr 2 by Darth_Koont

I wouldn't have been against promoting from within (presume you mean Nash and Hogg?), however I don't really think we're set up for that. Would've needed an experienced person above them (DoF, Sporting Director or something along those lines), IMO.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:11 - Apr 2 with 2256 viewsDarth_Koont

If you could turn back the clock.... on 13:16 - Apr 2 by Ftnfwest

didn't really want another 'old hand' but the one i would have settled for was warburton. It's interesting how he hasn't managed to pick up any job this season though

Yes, Warburton looked the best shout of the more established managers.

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:14 - Apr 2 with 2250 viewsDarth_Koont

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:11 - Apr 2 by Kieran_Knows

I wouldn't have been against promoting from within (presume you mean Nash and Hogg?), however I don't really think we're set up for that. Would've needed an experienced person above them (DoF, Sporting Director or something along those lines), IMO.

Not sure if Nash and Hogg would have been the right choices (maybe?) but more that we didn't need to go for experience. Based on what we know now, experience is only good if it can complement what we we already had, not give the manager the over-confidence to rip it up and start again.

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:16 - Apr 2 with 2240 viewsLord_Lucan

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:14 - Apr 2 by Darth_Koont

Not sure if Nash and Hogg would have been the right choices (maybe?) but more that we didn't need to go for experience. Based on what we know now, experience is only good if it can complement what we we already had, not give the manager the over-confidence to rip it up and start again.

Who would you have had then?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:17 - Apr 2 with 2234 viewschicoazul

Magilton.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:20 - Apr 2 with 2222 viewsDarth_Koont

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:16 - Apr 2 by Lord_Lucan

Who would you have had then?

Probably Warburton overall.

But in retrospect someone inexperienced like Jim (recently retired player who'd done the badges and interviewed well) would also have worked better than Hurst. But sounds like we already had a type of manager in mind with Hurst and Ross leading the way from the start.

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:24 - Apr 2 with 2210 viewsLord_Lucan

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:20 - Apr 2 by Darth_Koont

Probably Warburton overall.

But in retrospect someone inexperienced like Jim (recently retired player who'd done the badges and interviewed well) would also have worked better than Hurst. But sounds like we already had a type of manager in mind with Hurst and Ross leading the way from the start.

You mentioned promoting from within.

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:26 - Apr 2 with 2203 viewsFrimleyBlue

Jack Ross.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2019 14:27]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:36 - Apr 2 with 2171 viewsDarth_Koont

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:24 - Apr 2 by Lord_Lucan

You mentioned promoting from within.

Sure, if they're the right personalities for the job. But I don't know Nash or Hogg at all.

My point was that recruiting a totally inexperienced manager would probably have ensured we tried to build on what was already in place. That was the biggest failure and cost of Hurst's tenure.

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:37 - Apr 2 with 2170 viewsmonty_radio

I too had Ross out in front with Hurst and Warburton strong second choices.

Given how many on here have been brave enough to admit that PH was in there on their lists, yet still so many castigate Evans for lack of nous in his general management picks - if it says nothing else, it shows that hindsight is a perfectionist's craft.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

If you could turn back the clock.... on 14:45 - Apr 2 with 2155 viewsGeoffSentence

that chap who has had remarkable success in weird and wonderful places like Taiwan and whom the FA think highly of.

I can't remember his name but his success was built in promoting and improving reserves and young players.

Of course, he really was a complete unknown quantity and could have gone eiter way, but at least we know now which way it did go and no gamble could have gone worse than the one we took.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024