Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No confidence motion tabled in the Government 10:38 - Jul 25 with 7588 viewsElderGrizzly

Jo Swinson challenging Labour to back her

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 15:24 - Jul 25 with 1548 viewsgiant_stow

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 15:12 - Jul 25 by SpruceMoose

No, but they haven't offered what a large number of supporters want, which is fair enough, but they have tried to fluff over that with his weird fence sitting.

I assure you I'm not alone in taking my vote elsewhere for the first time. Labour really seem to have their head in the sand on this issue, and there's a big shock coming their, some some supporters, way.

I'm sure I read something about McDonald backtracking on the fight a Tory brexit by campaigning for remain promise. Think he said something on telly last night along those lines?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 15:28 - Jul 25 with 1538 viewsIpswichKnight

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 15:24 - Jul 25 by giant_stow

I'm sure I read something about McDonald backtracking on the fight a Tory brexit by campaigning for remain promise. Think he said something on telly last night along those lines?

He did, though the Labour policy has probably changed several times since then!

It was they would vote against any Tory deal no matter what it said

Now it is we will see what any deal is.

give it another hour and it will change again.
No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 15:30 - Jul 25 with 1534 viewsgiant_stow

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 15:28 - Jul 25 by IpswichKnight

He did, though the Labour policy has probably changed several times since then!

It was they would vote against any Tory deal no matter what it said

Now it is we will see what any deal is.

give it another hour and it will change again.

Ok, so they're just another bunch of shyster lying politician snakes - not to be trusted by any remainer.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 15:35 - Jul 25 with 1519 viewsActionMan

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 10:41 - Jul 25 by ElderGrizzly

Owen Jones is upset by it, so that is a good thing.

It won’t be successful, but it is fairly astute politically just before the summer recess and makes Corbyn look weak and indecisive (again)

Owen Jones is right - new PM will have a new bounce of popularity - force him into a GE with pro-Brexit rhetoric and you will end up with a solidly Conservative majority in Government and one with less Lib-Dem seats, assuming that the Brexit Party endorse him so they get enough votes in the marginals to cross the line so to speak. As for Boris himself thats the first time in my life that I have seen a PM savage the opposition so aggressively in the commons, whether we rate him or not he's the type of politician the public are going for right now and the Lib dems are very naive to try this so soon. Let him make mistakes first, right now he's only going to win out from his.
No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 15:41 - Jul 25 with 1506 viewsKievthegreat

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 14:01 - Jul 25 by BrixtonBlue

Utter nonsense. The Liberals have been irrelevant for years and now have a slight honeymoon period because of a new leader. No-one's remotely scared by them.

They doubled their share in the polls long before Jo Swinson took over. I mean you even posted a graph showing they did. The same graph also showed labour losing a 3rd of its support. Labour are looking over their shoulder and it's plain to see.
No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 15:49 - Jul 25 with 1493 viewsKievthegreat

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 14:10 - Jul 25 by Herbivore

Although in focusing on overhauling Labour the Lib Dems are essentially ensuring a hard Brexit Tory party will win any GE. Given that the Lib Dems are anti-Brexit I find it odd that they're pursuing a tactic that makes a no deal Brexit infinitely more likely.

If Labour adopted a positive position on a 2nd referendum and remain we wouldn't be talking about the Lib Dems polling 20%. The biggest reason the Lib Dems are gaining votes is the Labour parties fence sitting contortions. The Lib Dems have had the same position for 3 years, it's only because of Labour it's causing people to move over.
No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 16:06 - Jul 25 with 1472 viewsBrixtonBlue

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 15:41 - Jul 25 by Kievthegreat

They doubled their share in the polls long before Jo Swinson took over. I mean you even posted a graph showing they did. The same graph also showed labour losing a 3rd of its support. Labour are looking over their shoulder and it's plain to see.

The graph I posted shows Labour gaining and the Lib Dems (below them) flat.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 16:50 - Jul 25 with 1447 viewsDanTheMan

Not sure if it's been mentioned but from what I've read from others, the reason this is being done now is that it won't be voted until after the recess, and if it was done any time later than that then they government wouldn't be removed until after the 31st of October.

So basically this is the only time you can try and do this.

Might be wrong though, just something I saw doing the rounds.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 16:55 - Jul 25 with 1437 viewsKievthegreat

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 16:06 - Jul 25 by BrixtonBlue

The graph I posted shows Labour gaining and the Lib Dems (below them) flat.

You need to zoom in a long bloody way and only count the last 10 days (7th to 17th July) on the graph to see the massive .....+0.6% gain.

Just ignore the preceding month (9th May to 7th July) where they lost over a quarter of their voters (-8.7%) and all is well.
No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 16:57 - Jul 25 with 1431 viewsSwansea_Blue

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 16:50 - Jul 25 by DanTheMan

Not sure if it's been mentioned but from what I've read from others, the reason this is being done now is that it won't be voted until after the recess, and if it was done any time later than that then they government wouldn't be removed until after the 31st of October.

I'd seen that too (not sure if right or not).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 17:00 - Jul 25 with 1424 viewsDarth_Koont

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 16:50 - Jul 25 by DanTheMan

Makes sense.

If so, probably stole the thunder from Labour who thought they were the "general election" party and were the ones who were going to table the motion. Especially given the widespread condemnation they received over the past months for pushing this agenda.

So do the LibDems accept that Labour had a reasonable and now legitimate approach? Do Labour swallow their pride and support the motion positively? Or will there just be more posturing and jostling?

Pronouns: He/Him

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 17:04 - Jul 25 with 1413 viewsDanTheMan

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 17:00 - Jul 25 by Darth_Koont

Makes sense.

If so, probably stole the thunder from Labour who thought they were the "general election" party and were the ones who were going to table the motion. Especially given the widespread condemnation they received over the past months for pushing this agenda.

So do the LibDems accept that Labour had a reasonable and now legitimate approach? Do Labour swallow their pride and support the motion positively? Or will there just be more posturing and jostling?

Agreed. Need to work together if they both want to stop no deal and stop the games. Doesn't matter who tables motions.

They don't have to agree on everything or want to have a coalition or whatever to agree on this issue.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 17:12 - Jul 25 with 1405 viewsDarth_Koont

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 17:04 - Jul 25 by DanTheMan

Agreed. Need to work together if they both want to stop no deal and stop the games. Doesn't matter who tables motions.

They don't have to agree on everything or want to have a coalition or whatever to agree on this issue.

Absolutely. I think most politicians and parties are fire-fighting and worried about the optics at the time. When ultimately if they just get on with their jobs and the choices ahead of them then they'll be more favourably judged, especially in retrospect where their actions will be measured rather than their empty words.

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 17:21 - Jul 25 with 1387 viewsHerbivore

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 15:49 - Jul 25 by Kievthegreat

If Labour adopted a positive position on a 2nd referendum and remain we wouldn't be talking about the Lib Dems polling 20%. The biggest reason the Lib Dems are gaining votes is the Labour parties fence sitting contortions. The Lib Dems have had the same position for 3 years, it's only because of Labour it's causing people to move over.

Indeed, and they still haven't twigged that all they need to do to pinch back a good 5-8% points from the Lib Dems and a couple from the Greens is to unequivocally become the party of remain. They worry about losing seats to the Brexit Party but they aren't the biggest threat to them, they are much more of an issue for the Tories. That said, all the Lib Dems will achieve by taking a few more voters away from Labour is to ensure a no deal Brexit Tory party ends up forming the next government. They - and Labour - might be better off trying to form a progressive alliance to see off the danger of a no deal Brexit.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 17:45 - Jul 25 with 1357 viewsKievthegreat

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 17:21 - Jul 25 by Herbivore

Indeed, and they still haven't twigged that all they need to do to pinch back a good 5-8% points from the Lib Dems and a couple from the Greens is to unequivocally become the party of remain. They worry about losing seats to the Brexit Party but they aren't the biggest threat to them, they are much more of an issue for the Tories. That said, all the Lib Dems will achieve by taking a few more voters away from Labour is to ensure a no deal Brexit Tory party ends up forming the next government. They - and Labour - might be better off trying to form a progressive alliance to see off the danger of a no deal Brexit.

I think an alliance would be better for the country and Labour (I think it could hurt the Lib Dems, but country comes first).

However the Lib Dems, Greens, PC and SNP do talk. They coordinate motions in the house. The Greens and PC stepped aside in the upcoming byelection. They have made a point about having meetings with an empty chair for Jeremy Corbyn. If Labour wanted to, they could swan in and take charge because they have the heft of 200+ MPs. Labour however has an identity crisis around Brexit and trying to be all things to all people isn't working.

Until Labour changes its tact, the Lib Dems, Greens, etc... don't have any choice but to be the flag bearers for remainers. They can't just sit back and hope it all works out in the end.
No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 17:47 - Jul 25 with 1350 viewsgiant_stow

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 17:00 - Jul 25 by Darth_Koont

Makes sense.

In fairness, the libs are calling for an election in the new circumstances of Boris most likely going for no deal. Lab just wanted power regardless of brexit.

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 17:51 - Jul 25 with 1337 viewsDarth_Koont

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 17:47 - Jul 25 by giant_stow

In fairness, the libs are calling for an election in the new circumstances of Boris most likely going for no deal. Lab just wanted power regardless of brexit.

In fairness, the LibDems could have been calling for a general election since February and us actually heading towards a no deal by the original leave date. Same scenario.

Just as Labour could have come out as a proper Remain/Referendum party as nothing's really changed except the mood of the public.

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 18:05 - Jul 25 with 1322 viewsHerbivore

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 17:45 - Jul 25 by Kievthegreat

I think an alliance would be better for the country and Labour (I think it could hurt the Lib Dems, but country comes first).

However the Lib Dems, Greens, PC and SNP do talk. They coordinate motions in the house. The Greens and PC stepped aside in the upcoming byelection. They have made a point about having meetings with an empty chair for Jeremy Corbyn. If Labour wanted to, they could swan in and take charge because they have the heft of 200+ MPs. Labour however has an identity crisis around Brexit and trying to be all things to all people isn't working.

Until Labour changes its tact, the Lib Dems, Greens, etc... don't have any choice but to be the flag bearers for remainers. They can't just sit back and hope it all works out in the end.

I don't disagree, but there's a bit of a paradox in that by going more after Labour and their position as the opposition the Dems are making a no deal Brexit more likely.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 19:10 - Jul 25 with 1296 viewsBrixtonBlue

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 16:55 - Jul 25 by Kievthegreat

You need to zoom in a long bloody way and only count the last 10 days (7th to 17th July) on the graph to see the massive .....+0.6% gain.

Just ignore the preceding month (9th May to 7th July) where they lost over a quarter of their voters (-8.7%) and all is well.

I just looked at the graph as it is in the article. No zooming required. The Labour line is going up, the Lib Dems is flat.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 19:16 - Jul 25 with 1290 viewsGlasgowBlue

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 19:10 - Jul 25 by BrixtonBlue

I just looked at the graph as it is in the article. No zooming required. The Labour line is going up, the Lib Dems is flat.

The average of all recent polls have Labour on 25% and the Tories (pre Boris) on 23%.

Just two years ago both parties were polling 40%+.

Whatever way you spin it both Labour and the Tories have hemorrhaged support to the Brexit Party and the Lib Dems.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 20:49 - Jul 25 with 1247 viewsBrixtonBlue

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 19:16 - Jul 25 by GlasgowBlue

The average of all recent polls have Labour on 25% and the Tories (pre Boris) on 23%.

Just two years ago both parties were polling 40%+.

Whatever way you spin it both Labour and the Tories have hemorrhaged support to the Brexit Party and the Lib Dems.

Where have I said otherwise?

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 21:30 - Jul 25 with 1232 viewsNo9

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 15:35 - Jul 25 by ActionMan

Owen Jones is right - new PM will have a new bounce of popularity - force him into a GE with pro-Brexit rhetoric and you will end up with a solidly Conservative majority in Government and one with less Lib-Dem seats, assuming that the Brexit Party endorse him so they get enough votes in the marginals to cross the line so to speak. As for Boris himself thats the first time in my life that I have seen a PM savage the opposition so aggressively in the commons, whether we rate him or not he's the type of politician the public are going for right now and the Lib dems are very naive to try this so soon. Let him make mistakes first, right now he's only going to win out from his.

Just look at Ms Swinsons voting record which shows she's a hard right tory

That & her rhetoric suggests she is still in the tory party
No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 22:28 - Jul 25 with 1199 viewsreusersfreekicks

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 21:30 - Jul 25 by No9

Just look at Ms Swinsons voting record which shows she's a hard right tory

That & her rhetoric suggests she is still in the tory party

Try not to lose all credibility by posting such nonsense.
No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 13:42 - Jul 26 with 1136 viewsRyorry

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 14:55 - Jul 25 by Darth_Koont

Might seem like that on the surface but to me it seems like business as usual. The "terrorist incident" already exists in the form of Brexit and we're seeing a pro-Establishment, pro-status quo government emerge as a result. That's the lie of the populists and the loony right, that they're somehow progressive and offering a new way forward. But the new forward is backwards into reactionary conservatism, nationalism and a rejection of change itself.

Of course I think that means it's ultimately a dangerous government not a safe one. And won't address the needs and concerns of the UK citizens or the world at large. But in the battle for hearts and minds none of that matters: they appear to be a group who will promise and deliver simplicity even if it's actually the worst and most complicated option like a No Deal Brexit.

I wasn't referring to that well known ongoing stuff such Brexit, but to the one-off of such a sudden & complete change of personnel holding senior briefs in cabinet.

(Cue gifs of Y-fronts & cartoons of naked new ministers?!)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 14:15 - Jul 26 with 1115 viewspickles110564

No confidence motion tabled in the Government on 13:42 - Jul 26 by Ryorry

I wasn't referring to that well known ongoing stuff such Brexit, but to the one-off of such a sudden & complete change of personnel holding senior briefs in cabinet.

(Cue gifs of Y-fronts & cartoons of naked new ministers?!)

The Tories have wasted the last few years with the remainer PM and remainer cabinet, they should have installed a pro brexit one from the start and this would have been all over by now and would have been concentrating on the great new vision Boris has for this great country.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024