Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in 13:08 - Sep 12 with 18472 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

In your opinion, what is the best area of Suffolk to live in?

Can be based upon transport links, crime rate, local services etc etc. Generally interested in where people think is their favourite place to live?

Point to add - I live outside of Suffolk so have never had the pleasure!

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:47 - Sep 12 with 3001 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:37 - Sep 12 by judespiveyg

Two separate estates going up opposite Thomas Mills, traffic is an absolute nightmare on Saxtead road going into the town around 4 in the afternoon.

The second one is to be an industrial estate.....another supermarket will be next.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:53 - Sep 12 with 2987 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:47 - Sep 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

The second one is to be an industrial estate.....another supermarket will be next.

Hot rumour is that it will be Lidl of Aldi with a Waitrose to balance it out, I think Tesco tried before and got shot down, Morrisons isn't in a position to expand at the moment, and I don't see Asda or Sainsburys having a go.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 21:48 - Sep 12 with 2929 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:53 - Sep 12 by wkj

Hot rumour is that it will be Lidl of Aldi with a Waitrose to balance it out, I think Tesco tried before and got shot down, Morrisons isn't in a position to expand at the moment, and I don't see Asda or Sainsburys having a go.

The wimmin slaves in the house will explode with excitement if an Aldi arrives....Fram may be renamed Aldi-on -Alde.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 22:13 - Sep 12 with 2904 viewsjudespiveyg

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 19:59 - Sep 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

There is a lot brushed under the carpet at Thomas Pills!

As a student myself I'm more than aware of what you refer to, however it's still a great school and they are finally tackling the issue you allude to.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 22:15 - Sep 12 with 2895 viewsBluefish

Barton Mills def info

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 22:18 - Sep 12 with 2889 viewskinnockers

Kessingland.

Former leader of the Labour Party / Newsround Editor

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 22:27 - Sep 12 with 2865 viewsjeera

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 16:54 - Sep 12 by leitrimblue

Tad harsh

No respect some people.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 22:40 - Sep 12 with 2854 viewsEwan_Oozami

Akenfield, although unfortunately, it is directly on the route of the proposed Inner Northern Bypass

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Login to get fewer ads

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 09:26 - Sep 13 with 2735 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 22:13 - Sep 12 by judespiveyg

As a student myself I'm more than aware of what you refer to, however it's still a great school and they are finally tackling the issue you allude to.

.......about time....let's hope so!

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 09:47 - Sep 13 with 2713 viewscrunchie1978

emmmmmsull
or baduul ash.

buh.
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 09:49 - Sep 13 with 2712 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:07 - Sep 12 by J2BLUE

Completely agree on the leisure space. I always hoped they would do something with the Odeon. I heard it's becoming a mosque, no idea how true that is, but at least the building would be getting some sort of use

Isn’t this sort of what the council have done with Ipswich - both the Buttermarket regeneration (restaurants/bars/cinema/gym rather than shops) and the redesigned Cornhill?

Despite being much maligned the Cornhill development (pillars aside) seems to have been quite successful - certainly seems to be a lot more people and activity whenever I go into town around lunchtime. Would agree with the ghost town at night comments however that’s the same as any town high street really

Odeon has been purchased by Hope Church (currently at bottom of Bishops Hill)

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 09:53 - Sep 13 with 2705 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ipswich getting a rough ride in this thread IMO - clearly it’s not perfect and some of the estate areas of town have declined drastically, but I actually think the town centre and docks areas have been having something of a regeneration in recent years. Whilst not everyone’s cup of tea some fairly large chains and brands have opened in the past couple of years, and the restaurant scene in particular has come on leaps and bounds

To answer the OP, if money wasn’t an object I reckon I’d live somewhere like Newbourne - lovely spot, decent local pub (even if it is a Deben Inn and half burnt down atm!) but still very close and easy access to Ipswich and beyond

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 09:55 - Sep 13 with 2702 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:01 - Sep 12 by wkj

Your point about schooling is staggering, it is a bit of a post code lottery in terms of the quality of education. My brother went to Coppleston and I went to Kesgrave, the difference in standards in education according to my mother was night and day, at least when I went to school.

Kesgrave isn’t an Ipswich school though

Better comparison would be Northgate/Copleston vs Westbourne, but surely some schools being better than others is pretty much par for the course wherever you are?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 09:56 - Sep 13 with 2692 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:07 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

That is what always strikes Mrs Moose on her visits to Ipswich. You can walk down the Buttermarket on a Saturday night and not see a soul. Such a contrast to where we live.

I’d love to know when you walked down the Buttermarket on a Saturday night and didn’t see a soul, given that that is the one area of town which most definitely is busy on a Saturday night...

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 09:57 - Sep 13 with 2689 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 09:55 - Sep 13 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Kesgrave isn’t an Ipswich school though

Better comparison would be Northgate/Copleston vs Westbourne, but surely some schools being better than others is pretty much par for the course wherever you are?

It isn't, Althought I did go to Kesgrave while living on Foxhall Road near Alexandra Park, something my mother fought for on the basis of my brother's experiences in Coplestone. I am not sure how it is now, but back then a number of Ipswich catchment students went to KHS for similar reasons.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2019 9:58]

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:01 - Sep 13 with 2676 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 09:57 - Sep 13 by wkj

It isn't, Althought I did go to Kesgrave while living on Foxhall Road near Alexandra Park, something my mother fought for on the basis of my brother's experiences in Coplestone. I am not sure how it is now, but back then a number of Ipswich catchment students went to KHS for similar reasons.

For an Ipswich fan I really do have a limited knowledge of the town! Is Kesgrave one of the more affluent areas then?

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:02 - Sep 13 with 2675 viewsGeoffSentence

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 09:56 - Sep 13 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I’d love to know when you walked down the Buttermarket on a Saturday night and didn’t see a soul, given that that is the one area of town which most definitely is busy on a Saturday night...

Gets a busier later on down there. Back in 'Ye Goode Olde Days', before extended opening hours and cheap supermarket booze, the town used to be alive earlier in the evening as we all had to get out and down the pub before it shut. These days the youngsters don't seem to get out of bed before what used to be closing time.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:09 - Sep 13 with 2658 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:02 - Sep 13 by GeoffSentence

Gets a busier later on down there. Back in 'Ye Goode Olde Days', before extended opening hours and cheap supermarket booze, the town used to be alive earlier in the evening as we all had to get out and down the pub before it shut. These days the youngsters don't seem to get out of bed before what used to be closing time.

Fair point but again that’s a wider cultural shift than specific to Ipswich - people pre drink at home and go out later these days

Also whilst that true for the Plough/Sin/Revs square it doesn’t apply to the wider Buttermarket area, which is still always fairly lively with the restaurants, cinema and bowling alley

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:12 - Sep 13 with 2651 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 09:57 - Sep 13 by wkj

How long ago was that? Along with Northgate, Copleston is very much the best of the Ipswich public schools now

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:12 - Sep 13 with 2648 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:01 - Sep 13 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

For an Ipswich fan I really do have a limited knowledge of the town! Is Kesgrave one of the more affluent areas then?

When I went to school, Kesgrave was an up and coming catchment for sure. Martlesham heath was recently built and Grange farm went up as well as the Tesco shop. A lot of children from BT families went to Kesgrave so a lot of high expectations from those parents as I recall. The super route 66 bus route really opened the catchment to Ipswich once regular busses went through there.

In general, I think Kesgrave is, or was, fairly affluent, but there was a good mix of people and backgrounds there. I certainly wouldn't class it as a well-to-do elite area, but certainly a comfortable place to live.

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:13 - Sep 13 with 2645 viewsGeoffSentence

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:01 - Sep 13 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

The posh bits of Ipswich are generally to the East and North East of the Town.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:18 - Sep 13 with 2628 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:12 - Sep 13 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

How long ago was that? Along with Northgate, Copleston is very much the best of the Ipswich public schools now

Before the turn of the millennium. Copleston isn't necessarily a rough school, but had an awful record at the time of facilitating learning needs, my brother had strong dyslexia and got punished for being lazy and unteachable. Albeit times have changed now, I have been sure to address the situation as "at the time"

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:22 - Sep 13 with 2620 viewsJ2BLUE

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:18 - Sep 13 by wkj

Before the turn of the millennium. Copleston isn't necessarily a rough school, but had an awful record at the time of facilitating learning needs, my brother had strong dyslexia and got punished for being lazy and unteachable. Albeit times have changed now, I have been sure to address the situation as "at the time"

One bad experience doesn't make it a bad school. Always had a decent reputation. My brother has Autism and was treated very well in his time there. Started in 2004 I think.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:31 - Sep 13 with 2596 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:22 - Sep 13 by J2BLUE

One bad experience doesn't make it a bad school. Always had a decent reputation. My brother has Autism and was treated very well in his time there. Started in 2004 I think.

That is good news about your brother, but the time scale you talk of is a bit later on than when I referenced. I never called Copleston a bad school, but rather a situation where post code put my brother in a school unable to suit his learning needs, at the time. At the time the understanding of learning needs such as dyslexia and autism were not at the point they were at the turn of the millenium, and now.

I was agreeing with spruce that the quality of Ipswich schools are quite varied and how postcode can be a bit of a lottery for children in the town. I presented my point of view with a comparison case, not a hard and fast rule.

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:44 - Sep 13 with 2562 viewsITFC_Forever

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:13 - Sep 13 by GeoffSentence

The posh bits of Ipswich are generally to the East and North East of the Town.

Belstead Road and the Hayes' are in the SW, Henley Road is in the NW, so not strictly true.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024