Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in 13:08 - Sep 12 with 18479 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

In your opinion, what is the best area of Suffolk to live in?

Can be based upon transport links, crime rate, local services etc etc. Generally interested in where people think is their favourite place to live?

Point to add - I live outside of Suffolk so have never had the pleasure!

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:25 - Sep 12 with 3079 viewsfabian_illness

I’m firmly within the mythical golden triangle and I wouldn’t swap it for anywhere else in the world.
Pubs, good food, the best Indian ever and a proper old fashioned sense of community spirit.
15mins from Ipswich, 20mins from Colchester and 35mins from Bury.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 20:16]
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 17:32 - Sep 12 with 3051 viewsBLUEBEAT

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:27 - Sep 12 by wkj

You cant get much more beautiful than Wangford

Used to get my Lambrettas MOTs in Wangford.

Poll: W or W

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 17:37 - Sep 12 with 3046 viewsBLUEBEAT

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:51 - Sep 12 by J2BLUE

I was in Haverhill earlier this year for about half a day. Genuinely awful place with a really strange vibe.

Sh1thole is almost a compliment.

Doesn’t surprise me that they have a giant toilet roll sculpture on the A1307 roundabout.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 17:41 - Sep 12 with 3045 viewsBLUEBEAT

As a teen, I loved Lowestoft but would never move back.

It would be Woodbridge for me.

We looked at Shotley a while ago but you get the feels of Essex rather than Suffolk.

Old Felixstowe is nice again.

The cluster of villages in the Sutton-Bawdsey-Orford triangle would do me fine.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 17:59 - Sep 12 with 3020 viewsjudespiveyg

I would say Fram, but in the last five years about 4 separate housing estates have gone up, that being said the centre is still lovely with a nice selection of pubs, generally friendly people and great schools. I echo others when I say Woodbridge is lovely as well.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 18:10 - Sep 12 with 3003 viewsfergalsharkey

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:39 - Sep 12 by wkj

Ipswich really isnt at all that nice now a days. Not saying that to be edgy, but urban decay has become really evident in some areas of the town, and the actual development projects all seem to be wheel spinning at best.

Ipswich itself is a place of harmony and peace, no drugs, whores, crime,stabbings or petty pilfering.
Unlike bloody east Bergholt which is a hotbed of sordid sex and heroine induced crime.

Poll: Cook out?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 18:15 - Sep 12 with 2989 viewsBloomBlue

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:28 - Sep 12 by kinnockers

Where's she from, Beirut?

To be fair Beirut looks nicer then the London road area of Ipswich
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 18:16 - Sep 12 with 2985 viewsSpruceMoose

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 18:15 - Sep 12 by BloomBlue

To be fair Beirut looks nicer then the London road area of Ipswich

Lots of nice houses on London Road. Which ones are you troubled by the most?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 18:39 - Sep 12 with 2958 viewsBloomBlue

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 18:16 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

Lots of nice houses on London Road. Which ones are you troubled by the most?

I can strongly recommend a visit to Beirut some very nice properties and some of the most hospitable people you'll find anywhere in the world. Great food with their French influence and the normal Arab generosity
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 18:40 - Sep 12 with 2956 viewsFunge

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:51 - Sep 12 by J2BLUE

I was in Haverhill earlier this year for about half a day. Genuinely awful place with a really strange vibe.

Sh1thole is almost a compliment.

Haverhill is pretty appalling; altho the countryside around it is hulluva nice.

Odd comments on this thread.

Ipswich is fine. Yep, the High St is whack, but then that's true of every other provincial town in the country. Christchurch Park is the best park in England, there's some well decent restaurants, and IP4 is a welcoming and bountiful postcode. Hour away from London & Cambridge, 10 minutes to the sea, 5 minutes in any direction to beautiful countryside (unless you're heading towards Kesgrave).

Haverhole/ Lowestoft/ Brandon all proper crap by comparison.
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 18:41 - Sep 12 with 2952 viewsSpruceMoose

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 18:39 - Sep 12 by BloomBlue

I can strongly recommend a visit to Beirut some very nice properties and some of the most hospitable people you'll find anywhere in the world. Great food with their French influence and the normal Arab generosity

I'm sure. But what is your issue with London Road in particular?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 18:51 - Sep 12 with 2942 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 18:10 - Sep 12 by fergalsharkey

Ipswich itself is a place of harmony and peace, no drugs, whores, crime,stabbings or petty pilfering.
Unlike bloody east Bergholt which is a hotbed of sordid sex and heroine induced crime.

Have you stopped to consider that 'no drugs' might be why I see it as a slum?

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 19:59 - Sep 12 with 2899 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 17:59 - Sep 12 by judespiveyg

I would say Fram, but in the last five years about 4 separate housing estates have gone up, that being said the centre is still lovely with a nice selection of pubs, generally friendly people and great schools. I echo others when I say Woodbridge is lovely as well.

There is a lot brushed under the carpet at Thomas Pills!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:01 - Sep 12 with 2894 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 17:59 - Sep 12 by judespiveyg

There is actually yet another estate going up on the road out to Saxstead. If Fram had a rail link I think it wouldn't be long before it surpasses diss and saxmundam

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:10 - Sep 12 with 2880 viewssundaze

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:59 - Sep 12 by wkj

The Ivy house is gone now, but the pud near the spar is decent. I remember the old chippie, shame it closed really as the van that comes through on a Thursday is grotty as can be.

When did the Ivy house close? I was drinking in there a couple of months ago.
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:12 - Sep 12 with 2876 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:10 - Sep 12 by sundaze

When did the Ivy house close? I was drinking in there a couple of months ago.

Very very recently. When I went in there it felt like they only really bothered with the higher ups from Skinners, and the regular punter wasn't welcome. They have been going through staff for a long long time and it came as no surprise to see them close shop.

Edit:
They put it up for sale in June this year, and I guess they didn't have any buyers.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 20:21]

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:20 - Sep 12 with 2863 viewssundaze

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:12 - Sep 12 by wkj

Very very recently. When I went in there it felt like they only really bothered with the higher ups from Skinners, and the regular punter wasn't welcome. They have been going through staff for a long long time and it came as no surprise to see them close shop.

Edit:
They put it up for sale in June this year, and I guess they didn't have any buyers.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 20:21]

I remember seeing a blackboard outside advertising for staff. Shame, it used to be a cracking local back in the day. I remember, probably late 80s, a landlord by the name of Sam Newson, great character and the pub was always lively.
Village pubs have no chance nowadays, not as pubs anyway.
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:24 - Sep 12 with 2855 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:20 - Sep 12 by sundaze

I remember seeing a blackboard outside advertising for staff. Shame, it used to be a cracking local back in the day. I remember, probably late 80s, a landlord by the name of Sam Newson, great character and the pub was always lively.

I agree to an extent, but some pubs are doing cracking trades such as the Low house (kings head) in Laxfield only a few miles up the road. They put the mood of the community in their business model and some great live events, and have become a firm favourite in just 1 year of ownership.

The Ivy house used to be excellent, I mean, I had some lovely meals there and used to go there as my Christmas Eve venue, but the couple who took it over just became rude and disassociated with the village, as you can see by some of their more recent online reviews.

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:27 - Sep 12 with 2851 viewsGeoffSentence

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:20 - Sep 12 by sundaze

Community pubs seem to be the way to go for village pubs these days. There are a few in the Ipswich-Shotley-Sudbury Golden Triangle that closed or came close to closing but have been taken over by the local community and are thriving now.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:29 - Sep 12 with 2846 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:27 - Sep 12 by GeoffSentence

Community pubs seem to be the way to go for village pubs these days. There are a few in the Ipswich-Shotley-Sudbury Golden Triangle that closed or came close to closing but have been taken over by the local community and are thriving now.

That is exactly what the Low is in Laxfield, a consortium of 11 local people, one of which is a regular on Radio 4 apparently. It shows too, unsurprisingly a free house.

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:29 - Sep 12 with 2841 viewsSpruceMoose

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:29 - Sep 12 by wkj

That is exactly what the Low is in Laxfield, a consortium of 11 local people, one of which is a regular on Radio 4 apparently. It shows too, unsurprisingly a free house.

Decent brothel upstairs too.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:30 - Sep 12 with 2839 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:29 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

Decent brothel upstairs too.

I can neither confirm or deny

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:31 - Sep 12 with 2836 viewsSpruceMoose

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:30 - Sep 12 by wkj

I can neither confirm or deny

Must have been another poster who mentioned it then.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:37 - Sep 12 with 2825 viewsjudespiveyg

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:01 - Sep 12 by wkj

There is actually yet another estate going up on the road out to Saxstead. If Fram had a rail link I think it wouldn't be long before it surpasses diss and saxmundam

Two separate estates going up opposite Thomas Mills, traffic is an absolute nightmare on Saxtead road going into the town around 4 in the afternoon.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 20:39 - Sep 12 with 2820 viewsbournemouthblue

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:57 - Sep 12 by itfcjoe

Yep, agree with that - and it's quite clear there has been a lack of vision and a plan. There is so much stuff on the outskirts of town that they have just sucked all the life out of the town centre - Ransomes Europark, plus all the bits on the other side now with John LEwis, Whitehouse, Copdock etc.....these should be complimenting the town centre but here they seem to deliberately destroy it.

Suffolk Coastal and Babergh are happy to build in areas where the services of Ipswich will be stretched but won't do anything to help due to the NIMBYism on display there.

I've been working in Norwich for the last few weeks, whilst there is so much more there, more importantly their feels like more joined up thinking. But there seems a lot more issues with homelessness etc up there from my anecdotal view

I think Norwich is a unitary authority unlike Ipswich?

It probably benefits from being the only big city for 50 odd miles so it is more of a regional centre for everyone in Norfolk?

Interestingly, Ipswich actually has considerably more arts based organisations than Norfolk I am told

We seem to have a lot more events going on in the Town which people take for granted

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024