Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in 13:08 - Sep 12 with 18474 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

In your opinion, what is the best area of Suffolk to live in?

Can be based upon transport links, crime rate, local services etc etc. Generally interested in where people think is their favourite place to live?

Point to add - I live outside of Suffolk so have never had the pleasure!

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:55 - Sep 12 with 2088 viewsjontysnut

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:29 - Sep 12 by Blue_Order

Mildenhall.

Rubbish transport links, plenty of crime, and barely a pub left to drink in.

Come on down.

Maidenhall. The same but closer.
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:55 - Sep 12 with 2088 viewsChondzoresk

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:29 - Sep 12 by wkj

We are very close, I love the butchers in Eye, lovely pies they do.

What did you think of Stradbroke? I hate it, for a small village the parish council is a shambles, the person they pay to tidy the roads does nothing but stand on the street corner, and a growing number of kids have been running around unchecked and responsible for a lot of vandalism, theft and brutally killing livestock up the allotments. For a small village in a nice area, it's really come an awful village of late.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 14:37]

Stradbroke....well I was there 2000-2003, nice village then. Fish and Chip shop was good (not there now), Queen Head Pub I used regularly, but that's gone too now. I drove through it last week and the guy is still there standing on the corner of Queens Street. Unreal.
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:59 - Sep 12 with 2066 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:55 - Sep 12 by Chondzoresk

Stradbroke....well I was there 2000-2003, nice village then. Fish and Chip shop was good (not there now), Queen Head Pub I used regularly, but that's gone too now. I drove through it last week and the guy is still there standing on the corner of Queens Street. Unreal.

The Ivy house is gone now, but the pud near the spar is decent. I remember the old chippie, shame it closed really as the van that comes through on a Thursday is grotty as can be.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:15 - Sep 12 with 2044 viewsclive_baker

Coastal will get a lot of love on this thread, and rightly so, but my tuppence worth is that Southwold is better than Aldeburgh. A lot of 2nd home owners and London folk in Aldeburgh and it's all a bit twee and up it's own ar*e for me. One of the charms of Suffolk for me, unlike a home county, is it's proper. Naturally beautiful, not gentrified. There are notable examples outside of Aldeburgh, such as Lavenham. Stunning places, but not where I would choose to live.

I would say Bury St Edmund's is hugely underrated outside of Suffolk. Well connected on the A14 with it's proximity to Cambridge, and a wonderful town in it's own right. Great if you're into food & drink, culture and arts, history and architecture.

As far as villages go, one of my favourites is Walsham-le-willows. In part due to it's fantastic name, but also because it's got just about everything you would need from a village and it's very nice to look at. Lovely spot.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 15:16]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:24 - Sep 12 with 1994 viewsLKW15

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:13 - Sep 12 by GeoffSentence

Not a mosque, some Christian sect is doing something with it.

you're right, i think that church on bishops hill have taken it
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:25 - Sep 12 with 1997 viewsgiant_stow

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:50 - Sep 12 by wkj

Ipswich should be much more than it is for being a main line to London town. The are other cities and towns out there worse off than Ipswich, but the town has come nowhere near the potential is should have done by now.

The high street has little soul, small traders are few and far between. Football aside, Norwich is an example of a nice town to live (I use town deliberately in light of that article posted on here recently)

Without wanting to suck up to you plop heads, when I went on holiday in Suffolk last August, we visited Ipswich for a day. Mrs Ullaa loved it - in fact she loved it to the point where she was saying silly things like 'it's almost nicer than Norwich'. She liked the old buildings and I think she found the sense of impending danger we experienced reminiscent of London.

Needless to say, I shot her down hard and told her about how even you lot all hate it, but she wouldn't have it - silly girl. Edit: and then she said 'i don't want to hear about your mad little online tdwd or whatever habit, you fcking loon' but thats by the by
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 15:32]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:28 - Sep 12 with 1979 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:46 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

As someone who is glad they came from and grew up in Ipswich, I have to agree with wkj. On my last few trips home the decline is noticeable.

That could just be the UK in general though.

Every older person always says the place was better ‘back in their day’. Whether that be Ipswich, Romford, London, etc

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:28 - Sep 12 with 1974 viewsJ2BLUE

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:08 - Sep 12 by chicoazul

I hate villages, I voted to Leave but would now vote Remain, I dont cook eggs with the shell on anymore. What happened to you?

The eggs thing has gone right over my head.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:28 - Sep 12 with 1977 viewskinnockers

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:25 - Sep 12 by giant_stow

Without wanting to suck up to you plop heads, when I went on holiday in Suffolk last August, we visited Ipswich for a day. Mrs Ullaa loved it - in fact she loved it to the point where she was saying silly things like 'it's almost nicer than Norwich'. She liked the old buildings and I think she found the sense of impending danger we experienced reminiscent of London.

Needless to say, I shot her down hard and told her about how even you lot all hate it, but she wouldn't have it - silly girl. Edit: and then she said 'i don't want to hear about your mad little online tdwd or whatever habit, you fcking loon' but thats by the by
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 15:32]

Where's she from, Beirut?

Former leader of the Labour Party / Newsround Editor

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:30 - Sep 12 with 1968 viewsgiant_stow

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:28 - Sep 12 by kinnockers

Where's she from, Beirut?

chuckle - no, oddly enough Ladbroke Grove, brought up in the days before it got posh.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:31 - Sep 12 with 1962 viewsIP12

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:11 - Sep 12 by GeoffSentence

Excuse me Mr 62, but everyone knows that the term Golden Triangle is generally used to refer to the Ipswich-Shotley-Sudbury Golden Triangle.
Reference to anywhere else using the term 'golden triangle' is a clear breach of protected designation of origin, and I bid you refer to the Aldeburgh-Fram-Woody area as something else.

Would 'God's Waiting Room' be appropriate. A local estate agent of my acquaintance once described Aldeburgh as..."The place where old people go to die but don't". As one of a suitable age and living in the middle of that triangle I do understand this.
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:38 - Sep 12 with 1944 viewsSuperfrans

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:30 - Sep 12 by GeoffSentence

What is so special about Aldburgh? Whenever I go there I find it, and even its chippies, rather overrated.

The fish and chips isn't as good as they were. The chippie in the middle certainly isn't.

It's a fishing village, relatively unspoilt, the light is beautiful - plus it has loads of great memories for me personally.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:39 - Sep 12 with 1934 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:28 - Sep 12 by The_Romford_Blue

Every older person always says the place was better ‘back in their day’. Whether that be Ipswich, Romford, London, etc

And so to do younger ones.

I, of course, did not say that myself, but rather how the town never lived up to its potential and that the signs of urban decline are there

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:43 - Sep 12 with 1922 viewsSpruceMoose

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:28 - Sep 12 by The_Romford_Blue

Genuine question, other than coming up for football are you that familiar with Ipswich?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:47 - Sep 12 with 1909 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:43 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

Genuine question, other than coming up for football are you that familiar with Ipswich?

I wasn’t specifically referring to Ipswich. More a general point that everyone seems to think their place used to be better.

The way of the world I guess.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:48 - Sep 12 with 1907 viewsITFC_Forever

I live near to central Ipswich and it's ok.... down the hill is Old Stoke which has it's issues, but seems to be between those in the know and other like-minded souls.

But the town centre is a few minutes walk away, and town has a decent array of pubs and restaurants for what I need (mid-40s).

The countryside is literally a 5-10 minute drive away, which is great for kids / dog etc.

We lived in Gt Blakenham for 10 years which was nice enough, but everything we did was in Ipswich (kids school / swimming / dancing / shopping / ITFC / nights out) and we were forever driving back and forth and / or spending money on taxis, so when the opportunity arose, we moved back in to town.

As for Suffolk in general, the usual hotpots of Aldeburgh / Woodbridge etc are nice, although Aldeburgh is a bit of a way from civilisation for me.

BSE is very much an up-and-coming town over the last few years and is better from a transport point of view in that it is 20-30 minutes closer to the rest of the country if you're travelling on the A14. Rail links not so good though, so it's swings and rounabouts on that one.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:48 - Sep 12 with 1904 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:47 - Sep 12 by The_Romford_Blue

I wasn’t specifically referring to Ipswich. More a general point that everyone seems to think their place used to be better.

The way of the world I guess.

I haven't really noticed anyone doing that on this thread though 🤔

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:51 - Sep 12 with 1893 viewsJ2BLUE

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:41 - Sep 12 by chicoazul

There are a couple of worse more socially-deprived places in Suffolk never mind anywhere else!

I was in Haverhill earlier this year for about half a day. Genuinely awful place with a really strange vibe.

Sh1thole is almost a compliment.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 16:06 - Sep 12 with 1847 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:48 - Sep 12 by wkj

I haven't really noticed anyone doing that on this thread though 🤔

Blimey it was just a general comment.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 16:20 - Sep 12 with 1821 viewsjeera

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:48 - Sep 12 by ITFC_Forever

I live near to central Ipswich and it's ok.... down the hill is Old Stoke which has it's issues, but seems to be between those in the know and other like-minded souls.

But the town centre is a few minutes walk away, and town has a decent array of pubs and restaurants for what I need (mid-40s).

The countryside is literally a 5-10 minute drive away, which is great for kids / dog etc.

We lived in Gt Blakenham for 10 years which was nice enough, but everything we did was in Ipswich (kids school / swimming / dancing / shopping / ITFC / nights out) and we were forever driving back and forth and / or spending money on taxis, so when the opportunity arose, we moved back in to town.

As for Suffolk in general, the usual hotpots of Aldeburgh / Woodbridge etc are nice, although Aldeburgh is a bit of a way from civilisation for me.

BSE is very much an up-and-coming town over the last few years and is better from a transport point of view in that it is 20-30 minutes closer to the rest of the country if you're travelling on the A14. Rail links not so good though, so it's swings and rounabouts on that one.

If Bury had better rail links it would be twice the size it is.

If the lack of a direct link to London isn't deliberate then it should be.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 16:22 - Sep 12 with 1816 viewsBloomBlue

The trouble with villages is many are suffering with the same problems as the high street in Towns and losing shops and pubs. When I grew up the village school, pub, shop and Church was the lifeblood of the village community, once you take those away it's easy to lose the village feel.

There are lots of nice places still in Suffolk I'm sure although I think Ipswich has gone backwards over the last 10-15 years. Not been to Newmarket for years but I always thought that was a very underrated place.
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 16:54 - Sep 12 with 1760 viewsleitrimblue

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 15:51 - Sep 12 by J2BLUE

I was in Haverhill earlier this year for about half a day. Genuinely awful place with a really strange vibe.

Sh1thole is almost a compliment.

Tad harsh
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 17:16 - Sep 12 with 1727 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 16:06 - Sep 12 by The_Romford_Blue

Blimey it was just a general comment.

A confusing one, hense, my response

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 17:19 - Sep 12 with 1718 viewsSpruceMoose

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 17:16 - Sep 12 by wkj

A confusing one, hense, my response

Anyone familiar with Ipswich would find it hard to disagree that certain aspects of the town have experienced a sharp decline in recent years. They'd also recognise that other areas have been improved.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:24 - Sep 12 with 1712 viewsfabian_illness

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024