Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in 13:08 - Sep 12 with 18473 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

In your opinion, what is the best area of Suffolk to live in?

Can be based upon transport links, crime rate, local services etc etc. Generally interested in where people think is their favourite place to live?

Point to add - I live outside of Suffolk so have never had the pleasure!

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:01 - Sep 12 with 2037 viewsOxford_Blue

I love the Orford / Aldeburgh area.
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:05 - Sep 12 with 2029 viewsSpruceMoose

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:55 - Sep 12 by J2BLUE

The high street isn't something that really bothers me. I never go in town to go shopping. I know it's sad for some but if the high street eventually dies off that is just a consequence of modern life.

I personally think that town centres need to move away from places of commerce and pivot to being lived in leisure spaces. Shopping is never going to go back to being about brick stores. But leisure spaces need a physical presence.

But that being said, take for example the university in Ipswich and it's accommodation buildings. They are, IMO, too far from the town centre to have much of a positive impact, when there are things to do on the waterfront.

It's the same all over. If you head to the Financial District here in the evening and weekends it is dead. There are so few people who live there (relatively) that there isn't a population to support a bustling night time economy. The busy areas are those where people live. Maybe getting more people living in 'downtown' Ipswich will help it feel a bit more alive.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:07 - Sep 12 with 2017 viewsJ2BLUE

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:05 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

I personally think that town centres need to move away from places of commerce and pivot to being lived in leisure spaces. Shopping is never going to go back to being about brick stores. But leisure spaces need a physical presence.

But that being said, take for example the university in Ipswich and it's accommodation buildings. They are, IMO, too far from the town centre to have much of a positive impact, when there are things to do on the waterfront.

It's the same all over. If you head to the Financial District here in the evening and weekends it is dead. There are so few people who live there (relatively) that there isn't a population to support a bustling night time economy. The busy areas are those where people live. Maybe getting more people living in 'downtown' Ipswich will help it feel a bit more alive.

Completely agree on the leisure space. I always hoped they would do something with the Odeon. I heard it's becoming a mosque, no idea how true that is, but at least the building would be getting some sort of use

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:07 - Sep 12 with 2018 viewsSpruceMoose

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:00 - Sep 12 by itfcjoe

Think that's all pretty fair, and guess like most places if you are well enough to live in a nicer area then most places are decent enough to live like that.

Eating, drinking and cultural options are improving but still a way to go on that - but I was out last Saturday for a few beers and first time I've been in Town on a Saturday night when ITFC not played and you'd have thought it was a Wednesday, was utterly dead.

That is what always strikes Mrs Moose on her visits to Ipswich. You can walk down the Buttermarket on a Saturday night and not see a soul. Such a contrast to where we live.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:08 - Sep 12 with 2018 viewschicoazul

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:33 - Sep 12 by J2BLUE

I hate little villages. Wouldn't live in a village if you paid me.

1. Ipswich. Obviously

2. Felixstowe. Expecting some stick for this. Used to think of it as a chav town but as i've got older i've become more and more appreciative of the positive parts of the town. Obviously losing M&S and the Adnams shop are dark days in the town's history but Felixstowe has quite a bit going for it...

I hate villages, I voted to Leave but would now vote Remain, I dont cook eggs with the shell on anymore. What happened to you?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:08 - Sep 12 with 2012 viewsSpruceMoose

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:07 - Sep 12 by J2BLUE

Completely agree on the leisure space. I always hoped they would do something with the Odeon. I heard it's becoming a mosque, no idea how true that is, but at least the building would be getting some sort of use

Somewhere in Great Bentley a man suddenly looks up to the sky and screams.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:08 - Sep 12 with 2012 viewschicoazul

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:39 - Sep 12 by wkj

Ipswich really isnt at all that nice now a days. Not saying that to be edgy, but urban decay has become really evident in some areas of the town, and the actual development projects all seem to be wheel spinning at best.

People who don't think Ipswich is at worst OK are very under-travelled.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:09 - Sep 12 with 2012 viewsjeera

Suffolk's great and you can't go far wrong with any village that has an established pub and a small shop or two.

I say that because if there's enough trade to support both then chances are neither will be closing the moment you've moved in.

Lots of nice spots outside of Ipswich, Bury, Sudbury...and -- dare I say it -- outside of Haverhill, Diss...if you want a town nearby for convenience.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:11 - Sep 12 with 2003 viewsGeoffSentence

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:17 - Sep 12 by blue62

I love the area I am in. Bit of a golden triangle of Aldeburgh/Framlingham and Woodbridge got a bit of everything.

Excuse me Mr 62, but everyone knows that the term Golden Triangle is generally used to refer to the Ipswich-Shotley-Sudbury Golden Triangle.
Reference to anywhere else using the term 'golden triangle' is a clear breach of protected designation of origin, and I bid you refer to the Aldeburgh-Fram-Woody area as something else.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:12 - Sep 12 with 1996 viewsSpruceMoose

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:08 - Sep 12 by chicoazul

I agree with you here. It's a perfectly normal place to grow up and live. I think wkj is meaning that there are some areas which could do with a boost.

Old wkj is very well travelled, don't you worry about that! We're both veterans of the Mid West. Now that's somewhere you don;t want to live or grow up in.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:13 - Sep 12 with 1986 viewsGeoffSentence

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:07 - Sep 12 by J2BLUE

Not a mosque, some Christian sect is doing something with it.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:14 - Sep 12 with 1977 viewsSpruceMoose

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:13 - Sep 12 by GeoffSentence

Not a mosque, some Christian sect is doing something with it.

Heard Tom Cruise was coming down to open it or something...

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:16 - Sep 12 with 1968 viewsGeoffSentence

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:08 - Sep 12 by chicoazul

Anyone travelling to Gillingham next week may come back with increased fondness for Ippy.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:18 - Sep 12 with 1964 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:12 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

I agree with you here. It's a perfectly normal place to grow up and live. I think wkj is meaning that there are some areas which could do with a boost.

Old wkj is very well travelled, don't you worry about that! We're both veterans of the Mid West. Now that's somewhere you don;t want to live or grow up in.

That makes ipswich look like a haven in all honesty. It is shocking how many stereotypes about the mid West and their people tend to ring true.

Not going out saying the lower class are hicks and all that, but there is a devout belief and faith in a system that is grinding people into the ground because they are servants to the flag and the idea that politicians are serving the will of God.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:18 - Sep 12 with 1965 viewsSuperfrans

Aldeburgh is one of my favourite places in the world. Would love to live there...

But then I'm one of these London types who are no doubt ruining the place for the locals.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:24 - Sep 12 with 1953 viewsChondzoresk

North Suffolk...I live near Eye, its beautiful here. Good schools, amenities, lovely village pubs in the locality. I have lived in Ipswich, Stradbroke and Chichester, but Eye is the best.
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:29 - Sep 12 with 1934 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:24 - Sep 12 by Chondzoresk

North Suffolk...I live near Eye, its beautiful here. Good schools, amenities, lovely village pubs in the locality. I have lived in Ipswich, Stradbroke and Chichester, but Eye is the best.

We are very close, I love the butchers in Eye, lovely pies they do.

What did you think of Stradbroke? I hate it, for a small village the parish council is a shambles, the person they pay to tidy the roads does nothing but stand on the street corner, and a growing number of kids have been running around unchecked and responsible for a lot of vandalism, theft and brutally killing livestock up the allotments. For a small village in a nice area, it's really come an awful village of late.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 14:37]

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:30 - Sep 12 with 1928 viewsitfcjoe

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:18 - Sep 12 by Superfrans

Aldeburgh is one of my favourite places in the world. Would love to live there...

But then I'm one of these London types who are no doubt ruining the place for the locals.

It's more that outside of weekends and holidays it is dead because so many houses there are second homes - Londoners living there is a different matter, it's the Londoners with a weekend home that makes it hard

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:30 - Sep 12 with 1921 viewsSpruceMoose

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:29 - Sep 12 by wkj

We are very close, I love the butchers in Eye, lovely pies they do.

What did you think of Stradbroke? I hate it, for a small village the parish council is a shambles, the person they pay to tidy the roads does nothing but stand on the street corner, and a growing number of kids have been running around unchecked and responsible for a lot of vandalism, theft and brutally killing livestock up the allotments. For a small village in a nice area, it's really come an awful village of late.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 14:37]

You sound like you've been possessed by GrandadDel.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:30 - Sep 12 with 1926 viewsGeoffSentence

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:18 - Sep 12 by Superfrans

What is so special about Aldburgh? Whenever I go there I find it, and even its chippies, rather overrated.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:31 - Sep 12 with 1920 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:30 - Sep 12 by GeoffSentence

What is so special about Aldburgh? Whenever I go there I find it, and even its chippies, rather overrated.

It's a lovely village, but the last few times I've been the fish and chips have not lived up to the standard that the cult following have bestowed upon it
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 14:34]

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:38 - Sep 12 with 1893 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:30 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

You sound like you've been possessed by GrandadDel.

It does a bit, but the difference is what I'm talking about is true, all del is doing is snickering to himself 'fooling' people that he isn't [redacted]. Balls

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:38 - Sep 12 with 1893 viewsIllinoisblue

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:05 - Sep 12 by SpruceMoose

this. Online shopping is killing/has killed the idea of town centres being needed or relevant. Far better to turn central spaces into mixed use residential and leisure destinations.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:41 - Sep 12 with 2020 viewschicoazul

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:16 - Sep 12 by GeoffSentence

Anyone travelling to Gillingham next week may come back with increased fondness for Ippy.

There are a couple of worse more socially-deprived places in Suffolk never mind anywhere else!

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:42 - Sep 12 with 2016 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:41 - Sep 12 by chicoazul

There are a couple of worse more socially-deprived places in Suffolk never mind anywhere else!

But we're not allowed to mention Felixstowe

Crybaby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024