Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in 13:08 - Sep 12 with 18471 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

In your opinion, what is the best area of Suffolk to live in?

Can be based upon transport links, crime rate, local services etc etc. Generally interested in where people think is their favourite place to live?

Point to add - I live outside of Suffolk so have never had the pleasure!

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:47 - Sep 13 with 2258 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:44 - Sep 13 by ITFC_Forever

Belstead Road and the Hayes' are in the SW, Henley Road is in the NW, so not strictly true.

In the primary school days I grew up in Foxhall, that was the place they seemed to want to house the affluence, but it seems beyond the housing estate near Broke Hall they never really went much further trying to develop the area.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:48 - Sep 13 with 2258 viewsSoleBayBlue

Live in Reydon (work in Ipswich) all the benefits of Southwold, (can see the beach huts and walk or bike to town/beach in 10 mins, but with the advantage we can actually park on our drive, and its not quite so expensive!

Good little community in the village, which has sadly been lost in Town with all the 2nd homes.

The only thing I'd change would be some better public transport links, getting to Portman Rd and back by train requires some serious planning or an extra few £s on taxis (of which there aren't very many!)

Had a few years in Sudbury which was great, good links to London (although terrible to Ipswich.) water meadows, nice surrounding cvillages some decent pubs (The brewery tap!)

If I was to move again I think Woodbridge has it all, good transport links, close to the coast, plenty of decent shops, pubs and restaurants.
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:51 - Sep 13 with 2248 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:48 - Sep 13 by SoleBayBlue

Live in Reydon (work in Ipswich) all the benefits of Southwold, (can see the beach huts and walk or bike to town/beach in 10 mins, but with the advantage we can actually park on our drive, and its not quite so expensive!

Good little community in the village, which has sadly been lost in Town with all the 2nd homes.

The only thing I'd change would be some better public transport links, getting to Portman Rd and back by train requires some serious planning or an extra few £s on taxis (of which there aren't very many!)

Had a few years in Sudbury which was great, good links to London (although terrible to Ipswich.) water meadows, nice surrounding cvillages some decent pubs (The brewery tap!)

If I was to move again I think Woodbridge has it all, good transport links, close to the coast, plenty of decent shops, pubs and restaurants.

I tend to agree. Before starting my own business I had the opportunity to work at Sizewell, which is a bloody good place to work for the old pocket book. The transport links played a huge part in me taking the gamble that I did, luckily the gamble paid off, although I do often second guess myself.

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:52 - Sep 13 with 2245 viewsGeoffSentence

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:44 - Sep 13 by ITFC_Forever

Belstead Road and the Hayes' are in the SW, Henley Road is in the NW, so not strictly true.

'generally' my friend, I didnt say exclusively.

Belstead Road is very pleasant and some big ole posh houses down there.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 11:03 - Sep 13 with 2221 viewsITFC_Forever

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:52 - Sep 13 by GeoffSentence

'generally' my friend, I didnt say exclusively.

Belstead Road is very pleasant and some big ole posh houses down there.

Yep, run up and down there as part of my runs, some proper big houses on that road and off it.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 11:07 - Sep 13 with 2221 viewsStokieBlue

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:01 - Sep 12 by wkj

Your point about schooling is staggering, it is a bit of a post code lottery in terms of the quality of education. My brother went to Coppleston and I went to Kesgrave, the difference in standards in education according to my mother was night and day, at least when I went to school.

You should've tried Holywells.

SB
[Post edited 13 Sep 2019 11:08]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 11:09 - Sep 13 with 2211 viewsfooters

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 11:07 - Sep 13 by StokieBlue

You should've tried Holywells.

SB
[Post edited 13 Sep 2019 11:08]

Indeed. Some griping about Ipswich schools should come to Lowie. Give Kirkley High a go and see what you reckon.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 11:11 - Sep 13 with 2201 viewsSoleBayBlue

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:51 - Sep 13 by wkj

I tend to agree. Before starting my own business I had the opportunity to work at Sizewell, which is a bloody good place to work for the old pocket book. The transport links played a huge part in me taking the gamble that I did, luckily the gamble paid off, although I do often second guess myself.

I know a few people who work at Sizewell. Seems like a good gig if you can in there!
Login to get fewer ads

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 11:24 - Sep 13 with 2183 viewsitfcjoe

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 11:11 - Sep 13 by SoleBayBlue

I know a few people who work at Sizewell. Seems like a good gig if you can in there!

I'm currently doing a degree at Uni of Suffolk, a fair few jobs coming up that way and the uni are really tring to push the undergraduates to it - stating that these could realistically be jobs for life and those things just don't really exist any more, that if you can get in there now, with all the proposed development coming up you will be laughing if you can excel

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 11:26 - Sep 13 with 2175 viewsGeoffSentence

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 11:24 - Sep 13 by itfcjoe

I'm currently doing a degree at Uni of Suffolk, a fair few jobs coming up that way and the uni are really tring to push the undergraduates to it - stating that these could realistically be jobs for life and those things just don't really exist any more, that if you can get in there now, with all the proposed development coming up you will be laughing if you can excel

The offshore wind gig has got to be a reasonably secure one for the future too.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 11:28 - Sep 13 with 2170 viewsleitrimblue

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 22:27 - Sep 12 by jeera

No respect some people.

Clearly never witnessed the spectacle of the sun setting over the Chalkstone estate
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 11:50 - Sep 13 with 2134 viewsSoleBayBlue

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 11:24 - Sep 13 by itfcjoe

they are right, mates I have who work there are on very good money for Suffolk and essentially it is a job for life, although thats not for everyone.
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 12:04 - Sep 13 with 2119 viewsjeera

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 11:28 - Sep 13 by leitrimblue

Clearly never witnessed the spectacle of the sun setting over the Chalkstone estate

A sight to behold indeed.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 23:37 - Sep 13 with 2008 viewsdissboy2

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 13:38 - Sep 12 by BigManBlue

Villages with a pub are alright. The ones without are the most depressing places in the world...

you have to watch out for pending closures though, country pubs are struggling more and more
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 23:42 - Sep 13 with 2005 viewsblue62

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 14:11 - Sep 12 by GeoffSentence

Excuse me Mr 62, but everyone knows that the term Golden Triangle is generally used to refer to the Ipswich-Shotley-Sudbury Golden Triangle.
Reference to anywhere else using the term 'golden triangle' is a clear breach of protected designation of origin, and I bid you refer to the Aldeburgh-Fram-Woody area as something else.

Oh apologises, I didn't realise it have been used before.

I will upgrade my triangle to the Diamond Triangle, which is superior to the Golden version.
Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 23:46 - Sep 13 with 2005 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 19:59 - Sep 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

There is a lot brushed under the carpet at Thomas Pills!

Name a school that doesn’t have that problem.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 03:30 - Sep 14 with 1971 viewsTractorWood

I grew up in a village between Bury and Stow and it was nice if painfully unconnected and unserved by amenities. It wasn't really a place I could live and work so have slowly gravitated towards Cambridge as its job market is far better.

I know live near Newmarket which allows me to get to Cambridge in 25 minutes, Town games in 50 minutes. It also means I have amazing access to brilliant cycling like Hartest, Moulton, Wickhambrook etc.

Bury is fine but the demographic is very old. Bar ITFC there are few reasons to go to Ipswich. It has some ok pubs and restaurants but no shade on Cambridge. Newmarket is a ok. The horseracing link makes it very unique.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 03:32 - Sep 14 with 1969 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 23:46 - Sep 13 by WestStanderLaLaLa

Grange Hill

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 03:37 - Sep 14 with 1965 viewsTractorWood

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 23:42 - Sep 13 by blue62

Oh apologises, I didn't realise it have been used before.

I will upgrade my triangle to the Diamond Triangle, which is superior to the Golden version.

He's been mentioning this Shotley golden triangle for years. No one engages with it. I certainly wouldn't apologise.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 03:57 - Sep 14 with 1955 viewsjeera

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 03:30 - Sep 14 by TractorWood

I grew up in a village between Bury and Stow and it was nice if painfully unconnected and unserved by amenities. It wasn't really a place I could live and work so have slowly gravitated towards Cambridge as its job market is far better.

I know live near Newmarket which allows me to get to Cambridge in 25 minutes, Town games in 50 minutes. It also means I have amazing access to brilliant cycling like Hartest, Moulton, Wickhambrook etc.

Bury is fine but the demographic is very old. Bar ITFC there are few reasons to go to Ipswich. It has some ok pubs and restaurants but no shade on Cambridge. Newmarket is a ok. The horseracing link makes it very unique.

Bury demographic is very old? Really?

I have to say it isn't exactly sprawling with night clubs, but it's hardly all bowling greens either.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 04:22 - Sep 14 with 1952 viewsTractorWood

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 03:57 - Sep 14 by jeera

Bury demographic is very old? Really?

I have to say it isn't exactly sprawling with night clubs, but it's hardly all bowling greens either.

I think it is. Young people leave, mostly for London. Have a look around next time you are there.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 08:21 - Sep 14 with 1862 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 23:46 - Sep 13 by WestStanderLaLaLa

It's acknowledging the problem exists that is the issue.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 08:40 - Sep 14 with 1851 viewsfooters

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 08:21 - Sep 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

It's acknowledging the problem exists that is the issue.

The documentary series Grange Hill highlighted a lot of the failures endemic in our schools. And what have the government done about it? Nada.

Heroin in calculators, pre-teen pregnancies, class after class of ugly, ugly children... I could go on.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 08:55 - Sep 14 with 1834 viewswkj

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 08:40 - Sep 14 by footers

The documentary series Grange Hill highlighted a lot of the failures endemic in our schools. And what have the government done about it? Nada.

Heroin in calculators, pre-teen pregnancies, class after class of ugly, ugly children... I could go on.

That poor Roly chap, never did get his sausage

Crybaby

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 10:23 - Sep 14 with 1782 viewsjeera

Best Suffolk Area/Village to live in on 04:22 - Sep 14 by TractorWood

I think it is. Young people leave, mostly for London. Have a look around next time you are there.

I've lived around there most of my [adult] life, although not at the moment to be fair.

I know what you mean about a certain age group leaving, but that's the same of most towns that size, encouraged by people experiencing other places because of university.

But there's always this, 'I hate where I live' culture among the younger lot who have grown up somewhere and many return to Bury later on.

Hmm, maybe you have a point then.

But very old? No, most definitely not.

Edit: People who want to start a family; there you go. Plenty of those.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2019 11:23]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024