Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lack of transfer activity worries me 12:47 - Jan 16 with 4477 viewskizaitfc

I'm not saying I wanted another overhaul of players coming in, nor do I think our team is poor.

But by the sounds of it we stopped looking for improvement to the squad before the window even opened!

To have success football teams need to be constantly on the look out for ways to improve their squad (unless your Liverpool). Wycombe, Peterborough, Portsmouth, Sunderland and Oxford have already do so.

Evans seems to be moving back to the steady as we go method where other teams improve and we slowly decline.

I don't think many would view our team as a championship quality side, so if we get promotion we will either need to sign a significant amount of players in the Summer or we will struggle. Obviously signing a lot of players in one summer is not ideal as last season showed and I think has still been apparent this season despite less signings.

Evans needs to utilise the January window more effectively IMO to slowly bring in new talent that can either be thrown straight into the squad or slowly bedded in for the next season.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:43 - Jan 16 with 1469 viewsHerbivore

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:13 - Jan 16 by kizaitfc

DoF and ME said they thought it would be a quiet window and then Lambert Tuesday night stated that we don't have the money to do anything and played down any chances of more activity.

My main issue is the lack of money ME is willing to spend on transfers puts us severely at risk of stagnating again, we have several older players who will soon need to be replaced, but I can only imagine they will be replaced with freebies, our youth team or loan signings

Who are the several older players we need to replace? Chambers is one, obviously, Skuse is another but we already see him being phased out of late with Downes being his natural successor. Beyond that, who are you referring to?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:48 - Jan 16 with 1464 viewsHerbivore

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:24 - Jan 16 by kizaitfc

Yeah I understand all those issues.

Personally I'd look at loans with a view to buy just like the signing of Will Keane and what the potential of the Garbutt and Earl loans are.

The January window is the perfect opportunity to sign a player on loan with a view to permanent signing in the summer.

And to be fair to Lambert since being in League 1, he has signed KVY, Keane, Holy, Garbut (loan) and Norwood. Not bad signings despite being in League 1.

How did he make those signings without Evans' backing? And you say we aren't strengthening when we've already signed a player in the one area everyone agreed we needed strengthening. You're all over the shop. This is just whinging for the sake of whinging.

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:53 - Jan 16 with 1460 viewsBigManBlue

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:34 - Jan 16 by kizaitfc

I'm not a huge fan of a loan where you are simply improving another team's player.

But where there is potential to sign the player at the end of the loan where the loan is sort of used as a trial period, we could have 3 or 4 and I'd be reasonably fine with it especially when we are sat in League 1.

Yeah I'd agree with the target man but I think in this league where teams sit deep and defend you need that option to create havoc in the opposition box.

Absolutely, a few times when it's been tied going into the last ten minutes I've felt like we migth have had a bit more luck had we a big lump to come on and get on the end of a few hoofs.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:56 - Jan 16 with 1459 viewscrossyitfc

Simon Dawkins is available..
Lack of transfer activity worries me on 14:14 - Jan 16 with 1438 viewskizaitfc

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:48 - Jan 16 by Herbivore

How did he make those signings without Evans' backing? And you say we aren't strengthening when we've already signed a player in the one area everyone agreed we needed strengthening. You're all over the shop. This is just whinging for the sake of whinging.

Missed the point entirely!

It's the method and timing of Evans' contributions, January windows need to be utilised better.

A lot of the money spent over the summer came from the sell on clauses with Clarke and Webster aswell not ME putting his hand in his pocket

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 14:19 - Jan 16 with 1434 viewsDarth_Koont

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:00 - Jan 16 by kizaitfc

Well the team clearly isn't perfect otherwise we wouldn't be sat in 3rd place, so there is obviously room for improvement.

Id certainly say we need a winger, and a target man.

As I say my issue isn't necessarily the lack of signings or the quality of our current team as such it's the fact we sort of threw the towel in from the start.

There is nothing wrong with signing improvements to what you already have.

And to be honest from listening to Lambert's reasoning why we aren't looking at anyone as simply being we don't have the funds, to me that sounds like if he did he would look to strengthen

Difficult to see that we need a winger and a target man right now.

Keane and Norwood are fighting for that central striking position and looks to be some real competition for once. And I'm glad that we've abandoned our attempts at traditional wingers and wide midfielders as they just haven't worked. Width from wingbacks and Jackson further forward stretching the backline seems our most productive way forward. Especially with KVY eventually coming back and slotting in.

All being well, we take stock of our wingers (and strikers) in the summer. Maybe Lankester is a better winger than Edwards, Rowe or an out of position Judge to plan around - certainly he appears to be more controlled and comfortable on the ball. And maybe we also sort out a solid LB so Garbutt (hopefully signed) can make the left midfield his own.

But just now I'd rather we concentrated on what works best with the current team. We're starting to show improvements as things have settled down.

Pronouns: He/Him

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 14:47 - Jan 16 with 1419 viewsGarv

We need a winger but not much else, in my opinion.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 14:52 - Jan 16 with 1414 viewsJDB23

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:25 - Jan 16 by kizaitfc

At what point in any of my posts have I stated we should spend millions???

You didn’t, I’m saying it. To get in better players than what we have will cost millions. If you are talking about loans that is different, but I don’t think we should be going down that route, especially if we are building for the future.
Login to get fewer ads

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 14:58 - Jan 16 with 1416 viewsitfcjoe

The squad is bloated, and needs trimming - a new face often is a good thing but don't think you can add any more senior bodies into what we currently have, bar possibly another CB.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 15:07 - Jan 16 with 1392 viewsGarv

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:13 - Jan 16 by kizaitfc

DoF and ME said they thought it would be a quiet window and then Lambert Tuesday night stated that we don't have the money to do anything and played down any chances of more activity.

My main issue is the lack of money ME is willing to spend on transfers puts us severely at risk of stagnating again, we have several older players who will soon need to be replaced, but I can only imagine they will be replaced with freebies, our youth team or loan signings

Murphy and McGoldrick were loans.

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 15:08 - Jan 16 with 1388 viewsartsbossbeard

When do we officially run out of double digit squad numbers?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 15:09 - Jan 16 with 1384 viewsHerbivore

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 14:14 - Jan 16 by kizaitfc

Missed the point entirely!

It's the method and timing of Evans' contributions, January windows need to be utilised better.

A lot of the money spent over the summer came from the sell on clauses with Clarke and Webster aswell not ME putting his hand in his pocket

Let's see the accounts for this year if you don't think Evans has put his hand in his pocket. You also don't seem to understand the financial restrictions that exist being in this division. I imagine we're already close to breaching them with the size of our squad and our big wage bill.

We needed a left sided CB who can play left back and we've signed one. Anything else at this point is just fattening an already bloated squad.

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 15:20 - Jan 16 with 1366 viewsyorkshire

As has been stated - what do we need - with both Sears and Bishop back then I think that is basically the equivalent of two new signings

For me the only cover we need is going to be RB and we have probably the divisions best right back still to come back from injury - so I can hardy see Evans wanting to splash the cash there

I'll be glad when the window is closed if we can hold onto Downes and Woolfy
Lack of transfer activity worries me on 15:27 - Jan 16 with 1351 viewsSouperJim

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 15:07 - Jan 16 by Garv

Murphy and McGoldrick were loans.

I've always found the belief amongst fans that we need to spend money on a transfer fee to get a good player is an efficient idiot test

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 15:37 - Jan 16 with 1339 viewsDarth_Koont

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 15:27 - Jan 16 by SouperJim

I've always found the belief amongst fans that we need to spend money on a transfer fee to get a good player is an efficient idiot test

Especially given how few of our more ambitious punts have paid off over the last dozen years. Any transfer over half a million might as well come with a warning klaxon.

Pronouns: He/Him

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 15:57 - Jan 16 with 1319 viewsStokieBlue

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 14:47 - Jan 16 by Garv

We aren't playing with wingers at the moment so a rather strange position to say needs strengthening.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 16:39 - Jan 16 with 1299 viewsGarv

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 15:57 - Jan 16 by StokieBlue

We aren't playing with wingers at the moment so a rather strange position to say needs strengthening.

SB

For me it would be strange to assume that we will play the same way from now until the end of the season. And hopefully some signings we make (if any) won't just be for the next few months.

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 16:59 - Jan 16 with 1282 viewsSomethingBlue

I've a feeling we still want another one or two.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 17:49 - Jan 16 with 1250 viewsitfcbam

replying to the original post. How do you think any new recruits will be funded?? For league 1 we have a large squad so undoubtedly are probably heading for another loss making season. Yes all well and good saying would be good to sign players, etc. but any thought given to the funding??
Lack of transfer activity worries me on 20:00 - Jan 16 with 1226 viewslmfcblue

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 14:47 - Jan 16 by Garv

Current set up we are not using wingers so not unless he's looking to change formations again it seems pretty pointless
Lack of transfer activity worries me on 20:41 - Jan 16 with 1211 viewsparkerd

With Marcus Evans at the helm, then there's no chance in any major investment in the playing staff. Division one players equal division one! Marcus Evans must make way for someone who actually knows what their doing and invest in promotion!!
Lack of transfer activity worries me on 21:29 - Jan 16 with 1200 viewsagentp

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 20:41 - Jan 16 by parkerd

With Marcus Evans at the helm, then there's no chance in any major investment in the playing staff. Division one players equal division one! Marcus Evans must make way for someone who actually knows what their doing and invest in promotion!!

Anyone in mind?

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 22:03 - Jan 16 with 1187 viewsBlueNomad

There are 15 days to go in this window. Do we really lack hope if we don’t sign someone in that time? I’d suggest not.
Lack of transfer activity worries me on 22:11 - Jan 16 with 1180 viewsCoastalblue

I miss these threads, and they normally start earlier in the window than this too.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 23:13 - Jan 16 with 1162 viewsGirthyguy

I don't think we need anyone else now. Just need KVY to come back and up to full speed. Think we have every position fairly well covered. We just need to keep the team and system the same and stop making loads of changes and our quality will get us over the line I'm sure we can get one of the top 2 spots.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024