Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nicest ever Town players 15:11 - Jan 29 with 11298 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Bart has to be one of the nicest guys to ever play for Town.

Forget ability. Purely on having met players, most of whom have been nice enough with some absolutely nasty pieces of work thrown in, who are the ones you've come away thinking 'what an absolutely lovely bloke'.

For me it would be Bart, Mick Stockwell, Luke Chambers, Kevin Beattie, Neil Thompson, Gavin Johnson off the top of my head.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Nicest ever Town players on 18:22 - Jan 29 with 3441 viewsJimmy86

I'd say Chambo, who I've seen a couple of times in town, also took my boy to his football academy, which he was absolutely great with, was there to greet everyone before he had to go training. One of the aforementioned times I saw him in town was last season and I think it genuinely took its toll on him. He was absolutely gutted about where we found ourselves and he was hurting. He was also less than complimentary of Hurst, but that wasnt exactly a secret

John Wark was always decent whenever I saw him in the Queens head in Stow and always had decent chats with.

Also want to mention Tommy Smith! He was always decent and a nice guy! Saw him out on the P1SS once, somewhat hammered and he was very pleasant
Nicest ever Town players on 19:09 - Jan 29 with 3388 viewsMattinLondon

Had a ten minute conversation with Richard Naylor in Waterstones once and he was extremely friendly. As was Matt Richards - a match was postponed and a few of the team went on a night out and he was very friendly. Jim was there as well - also very friendly and very very talkative.
Nicest ever Town players on 19:27 - Jan 29 with 3370 viewsLord_Lucan

Nicest ever Town players on 19:09 - Jan 29 by MattinLondon

Had a ten minute conversation with Richard Naylor in Waterstones once and he was extremely friendly. As was Matt Richards - a match was postponed and a few of the team went on a night out and he was very friendly. Jim was there as well - also very friendly and very very talkative.

At the risk of repeating myself as I have told this a few times before during similar conversations but...................................

...............My boy RKD tweeted Magilton mentioning to him that he was my favourite modern day player (Magilton had left the club by then) and could he phone me on my 50th birthday.

So I'm sat in Birmingham at a trade show on my 50th feeling a bit sorry for myself when my phone rings.

JM "Is that Lucan"
LL "Yes, who is this"
JM "It's Jim Magilton, happy birthday"
LL "No it fecking isn't, who is it?

And so on

Then I saw my mate who was obviously in the know mouthing to me "It's him" just as I was about to hang up

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Nicest ever Town players on 19:41 - Jan 29 with 3349 viewsCoco

The most genuinely nice town player I’ve met is Andy Marshall. Really top bloke.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Nicest ever Town players on 19:44 - Jan 29 with 3347 viewsTheBoyBlue

Nicest ever Town players on 19:27 - Jan 29 by Lord_Lucan

At the risk of repeating myself as I have told this a few times before during similar conversations but...................................

...............My boy RKD tweeted Magilton mentioning to him that he was my favourite modern day player (Magilton had left the club by then) and could he phone me on my 50th birthday.

So I'm sat in Birmingham at a trade show on my 50th feeling a bit sorry for myself when my phone rings.

JM "Is that Lucan"
LL "Yes, who is this"
JM "It's Jim Magilton, happy birthday"
LL "No it fecking isn't, who is it?

And so on

Then I saw my mate who was obviously in the know mouthing to me "It's him" just as I was about to hang up

Roger Osborne. Lovely chap.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Nicest ever Town players on 19:45 - Jan 29 with 3349 viewstextbackup

Being too nice isn’t a good thing for a keeper

No time for a certain kitchen fitter on your list I must say

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Nicest ever Town players on 19:51 - Jan 29 with 3337 viewsLord_Lucan

Nicest ever Town players on 19:44 - Jan 29 by TheBoyBlue

Roger Osborne. Lovely chap.

I'm sure he is, but he always seems so bloody miserable.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Nicest ever Town players on 20:10 - Jan 29 with 3316 viewshector_clifford

I once met Paul Goddard in Menorca on holiday, while he was playing for us. He was really friendly and I got his autograph, and then he and his family waved at me when I saw him later that same day.

Poll: Who is your favourite outfield Town player of the 1978 cup winning team?

Login to get fewer ads

Nicest ever Town players on 20:22 - Jan 29 with 3306 viewspowinswitch

Nicest ever Town players on 20:10 - Jan 29 by hector_clifford

I once met Paul Goddard in Menorca on holiday, while he was playing for us. He was really friendly and I got his autograph, and then he and his family waved at me when I saw him later that same day.

Spent an hour with Tony Mowbray in Darlington when he was our skipper. He was such a gentleman, and articulate, intelligent, and looked as hard as nails. He wrote about meeting me in his weekly evening star or EADT column

Also met Matty Holland in stansted whilst travelling to Dublin for a weekend. Flight was delayed due to fog, and we exchanged memories of his time with the town, and where the club was at the time. Again a gentleman.

Both shared the quality of being very grounded.
Nicest ever Town players on 21:10 - Jan 29 with 3278 viewssolemio

Nicest ever Town players on 16:04 - Jan 29 by oneoffposter

Nicest - tarricco lovely fella and Wayne brown just a genuine normal geezer

Wont name the biggest ballbag as not the thread but I found Tarricco the complete opposite to the other player we sold to spurs in the 90s

I cannot agree with the second of your two choices.

I agree with many of the players mentioned, but would add Simon Milton. So pleasant to talk to and very nice with the kids.
Nicest ever Town players on 21:15 - Jan 29 with 3271 viewsbazgammon

Nicest ever Town players on 19:51 - Jan 29 by Lord_Lucan

I'm sure he is, but he always seems so bloody miserable.

he is a miserable bloke. Ian Marshall despite what people think is a very funny and friendly guy.

Poll: Lambert

Nicest ever Town players on 06:43 - Jan 30 with 3165 viewsYallop

Romeo Zondervan. I used to wait outside the players exit after most home matches to see him. Told him one Saturday I was playing in a cup final at Whitton the next day and would he come and watch. To my amazement he turned up for the first half.

I was sub so got to watch with him. Legend
Nicest ever Town players on 10:13 - Jan 30 with 3077 viewsIpswichKnight

Nicest ever Town players on 06:43 - Jan 30 by Yallop

Romeo Zondervan. I used to wait outside the players exit after most home matches to see him. Told him one Saturday I was playing in a cup final at Whitton the next day and would he come and watch. To my amazement he turned up for the first half.

I was sub so got to watch with him. Legend

Did he have a special magazine for you then, was that why you were watiing ;)
Nicest ever Town players on 10:19 - Jan 30 with 3075 viewsMercian

When I was a boy and still living in Ipswich my dad was a friend of a former player called Robin Turner. He was a very guy.
Nicest ever Town players on 10:22 - Jan 30 with 3070 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone mentioned Shefki yet? Always seemed like a nice chap to me.

Darren Bent?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Nicest ever Town players on 10:39 - Jan 30 with 3059 viewsKieran_Knows

I think I've only spoken to 2 players (nights out). One was Cresswell and the other was Jason Brown (was like 4th choice keeper 5/6 years back). Both were pleasant and stopped for a chat.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Nicest ever Town players on 11:05 - Jan 30 with 3010 viewshoppy

JAY TABB..... obviously - he's a different class of niceness.

Also, no mention of Cole Skuse, who is a very down to earth, friendly guy off the pitch

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Most of my contact with the players of my youth..... on 11:11 - Jan 30 with 3002 viewsBloots

...was through a drink and drug fueled haze, so difficult to remember really.

Plus I was generally in awe of most of them.

They were all generally decent blokes though, particular mentions to Kiwomya and Dozzell though.

Danny Sonner was a bit of a tit on the occasions I came across him.

All the golden oldies I've ever met have been total gents.

Of the new mob, inevitably Chambers and Skuse lead the way. In Germany they were both totally comfortable with the fans and couldn't really be any better with all of us.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Nicest ever Town players on 11:13 - Jan 30 with 2992 viewsiamipswich

Jay Tabb - Met him in Dusseldorf and couldn't shrug him off!
Tommy Smith
Wilnis

EDIT: and Matt Holland. Really nice, down to earth guy.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2020 15:38]

Poll: Who will return first?

Nicest ever Town players on 11:37 - Jan 30 with 2951 viewstractordownsouth

Skuse seemed like a nice bloke when I met him at Esso a few years back and couldn't work out how to switch to the front camera on my new phone...

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Oh I forgot one.... on 11:45 - Jan 30 with 2948 viewsBloots

....I met Sylvain Legwinski in a Starbucks on South Beach in Miami. (true story)

He seemed totally bemused that I recognised him, let alone wanted to have a chat. Anyway after a few minutes chatting about Ipswich he made his excuses and left.

As he wandered up the beach he turned round and gave me a little wave.

He was nice.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Nicest ever Town players on 12:38 - Jan 30 with 2892 viewsReuser_is_God

Nicest ever Town players on 10:39 - Jan 30 by Kieran_Knows

I think I've only spoken to 2 players (nights out). One was Cresswell and the other was Jason Brown (was like 4th choice keeper 5/6 years back). Both were pleasant and stopped for a chat.

& Tunnicliffe.

Tunnicliffe was a cnt.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Nicest ever Town players on 12:40 - Jan 30 with 2889 viewsKieran_Knows

Nicest ever Town players on 12:38 - Jan 30 by Reuser_is_God

& Tunnicliffe.

Tunnicliffe was a cnt.

Oh yeah, forgot about him! Yeah, he wasn't a pleasant chap at all.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Nicest ever Town players on 13:12 - Jan 30 with 2860 viewsTrumptonBlue

Another vote for Fab.

I met him when he was doing a book signing in Sainsburys in town. He was sitting at the table on his own, so it seemed like a good opportunity to pluck up the courage and have a chat. He was charming, funny, humble and we both had a moan about Roy Keane. He was already one of my favourite players and I was on a high for the rest of the day. Lord knows how Burley managed to fall out with him.
Nicest ever Town players on 13:51 - Jan 30 with 2820 viewshoppy

Nicest ever Town players on 13:12 - Jan 30 by TrumptonBlue

Another vote for Fab.

I met him when he was doing a book signing in Sainsburys in town. He was sitting at the table on his own, so it seemed like a good opportunity to pluck up the courage and have a chat. He was charming, funny, humble and we both had a moan about Roy Keane. He was already one of my favourite players and I was on a high for the rest of the day. Lord knows how Burley managed to fall out with him.

Perhaps Burley had been promised the 'La La La La La' gig by Asa in Lets Go To Town, only to find out that Fabian had already laid it down and got it in the can?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024