Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nicest ever Town players 15:11 - Jan 29 with 11299 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Bart has to be one of the nicest guys to ever play for Town.

Forget ability. Purely on having met players, most of whom have been nice enough with some absolutely nasty pieces of work thrown in, who are the ones you've come away thinking 'what an absolutely lovely bloke'.

For me it would be Bart, Mick Stockwell, Luke Chambers, Kevin Beattie, Neil Thompson, Gavin Johnson off the top of my head.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Nicest ever Town players on 14:36 - Jan 30 with 1731 viewsStu_Magoo

When I was a youngster, my dad and I bumped into John Wark in Everybody's Hobbies. He helped me select a couple of Scalextrics cars I wanted for Christmas. Much to my annoyance, him and my dad talked for ages like long lost friends and I didn't get to say much at all.
Nicest ever Town players on 15:02 - Jan 30 with 1704 viewsArgyle_blue

Have to give a mention to Allan Hunter. I’ve had the pleasure of playing a round of golf with him. Met him in the car park more recently at PR. Down to earth and friendly - top, top guy.
Nicest ever Town players on 15:26 - Jan 30 with 1658 viewsGlasgowBlue

Met Gary Roberts once. Very humble and a really nice guy.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Nicest ever Town players on 15:29 - Jan 30 with 1656 viewsGlasgowBlue

Nicest ever Town players on 15:33 - Jan 29 by skyblue23

Met Matt Holland at Oktoberfest in Colchester this year. Top bloke!

Matt Holland gave out the prizes at my dad’s pub ended if season awards a few years ago.

He arrived early and sat quietly at the end of the bar. My brother asked him if he played in the Sunday A or B team.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Nicest ever Town players on 15:34 - Jan 30 with 1646 viewshype313

Had a great drunken chat with Reuser in Hollywood's one night, he was on his own and was more than happy to continually buy the rounds.

At least, I think it was him..

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Nicest ever Town players on 16:07 - Jan 30 with 1613 viewsKropotkin123

Met Marcus Stewart in Bristol, when helping him with his MTB. I was working there whilst at uni. I think he was at Yeovil or Exeter at the time and my boss was a goalkeeping coach, who knew him and was keen for us to help him out. It was funny as most didn't care about football and didn't know him.

I was surprised that he was really nice. Never know what people are like behind closed doors, but he seemed more enthusiastic to talk to me about Ipswich, his success and the team's success. He seemed genuinely sad that he didn't match his first prem's tally and the resulting relegation.

Gave a cheeky little "twtds" comment, which I'm still not sure if it was a nod to this community. Seemed to be, but don't want to bend the truth by asserting certainty.

Without ever meeting them Fab, Holland, Stockwell and Chambers come across as really nice people.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Nicest ever Town players on 16:36 - Jan 30 with 1595 viewshype313

Nicest ever Town players on 16:07 - Jan 30 by Kropotkin123

Met Marcus Stewart in Bristol, when helping him with his MTB. I was working there whilst at uni. I think he was at Yeovil or Exeter at the time and my boss was a goalkeeping coach, who knew him and was keen for us to help him out. It was funny as most didn't care about football and didn't know him.

I was surprised that he was really nice. Never know what people are like behind closed doors, but he seemed more enthusiastic to talk to me about Ipswich, his success and the team's success. He seemed genuinely sad that he didn't match his first prem's tally and the resulting relegation.

Gave a cheeky little "twtds" comment, which I'm still not sure if it was a nod to this community. Seemed to be, but don't want to bend the truth by asserting certainty.

Without ever meeting them Fab, Holland, Stockwell and Chambers come across as really nice people.

I was working in a bar years ago and Marcus, Crofty and Jamma Wright always used to come in, I said to Marcus a few days before a United game if he could get me a ticket, he said "Here you go, have my mother in laws, I'd rather you have it than her"

Nicest ever Town players on 16:47 - Jan 30 with 1581 viewsmanchego

I met Bobby Robson a few times. He was friends with my folks.
We went to parties at his place and he came to ours a few times.
He was as great as you can imagine. Always happy and always having a laugh.

One time Town were in Europe (Holland?) and my brother was there on business and Bobby saw him and went over and said Hi and got him drinks and stuff.
Login to get fewer ads

Nicest ever Town players on 16:52 - Jan 30 with 1581 viewsuefacup81

Interesting that there seems to be somewhat of a disconnect between those who think a certain kitchen fitter 'seems nice', and those who've met him properly.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Nicest ever Town players on 17:42 - Jan 30 with 1559 viewsshamboy

Many years ago, I had arranged to go for a few beers with Gavin Johnson. Shortly before, I got a call from Gav to say that the players had arranged their Christmas do in Ipswich on the same night. He said I was welcome to come along.
So, picking Steve Palmer up on route, we went to the (Alan Brazil's old bar in St Peter's Street, whatever it was called, Newt and Cucumber?).

It was a fairly low key gathering to start with, and I have never been into 'fan worship' stuff. To me, the last thing players want to talk about is football. So when Gav said did I want to go upstairs where food had been laid on, I declined and instead stayed at the bar, talking with a very pleasant little fella who was propping the bar up, like me.

I think the evening petered out without major incident, and when I saw Gav later he said 'how did you get on with our Reserve keeper? It turned out that the fella at the bar had been none other than Clive Baker, and I hadn't recognised him at all. Thoroughly nice bloke, though!!

(edit) **Toad and Raspberry
[Post edited 30 Jan 2020 17:45]
Nicest ever Town players on 18:28 - Jan 30 with 1524 viewsPecker

Was lucky enough to meet Matty Holland on a few different occasions and he was always pleasant and made time for the supporters. Doesn't hide his hatred for the budgies.
Nicest ever Town players on 18:29 - Jan 30 with 1525 viewsHipsterectomy

I met Celina on a night out under MM. He was very friendly, but politely asked for no photos to be put online which made sense as we were on a bad run and he was out at a bar. He didn't even drink during the whole time he was there.

Not sure if that's a general footballer rule now, an Ipswich Town rule, or he was just being very cautious.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2020 18:33]

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Nicest ever Town players on 19:14 - Jan 30 with 1499 viewsagentp

Danny Sonner was a lovely guy. Think he used to give up his Saturday nights to clean the steps of the town hall.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Nicest ever Town players on 19:26 - Jan 30 with 1489 viewsJeanManuelThetis

Nicest ever Town players on 16:04 - Jan 29 by oneoffposter

Nicest - tarricco lovely fella and Wayne brown just a genuine normal geezer

Wont name the biggest ballbag as not the thread but I found Tarricco the complete opposite to the other player we sold to spurs in the 90s

Is that the same Wayne Brown that voted for the BNP?
Nicest ever Town players on 20:40 - Jan 30 with 1452 viewsCoastalblue

Met Kywomya after an away game up North and he seemed a great guy, was on red wine if I recall correctly.

I once spent a good 20 minutes havibg a drunken rant at Adam Tanner in a Witham pub, the Jack and Jenny was it?

If I call correctly he was having a drunken rant back.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Nicest ever Town players on 06:54 - Jan 31 with 1352 viewshype313

Nicest ever Town players on 17:42 - Jan 30 by shamboy

Many years ago, I had arranged to go for a few beers with Gavin Johnson. Shortly before, I got a call from Gav to say that the players had arranged their Christmas do in Ipswich on the same night. He said I was welcome to come along.
So, picking Steve Palmer up on route, we went to the (Alan Brazil's old bar in St Peter's Street, whatever it was called, Newt and Cucumber?).

It was a fairly low key gathering to start with, and I have never been into 'fan worship' stuff. To me, the last thing players want to talk about is football. So when Gav said did I want to go upstairs where food had been laid on, I declined and instead stayed at the bar, talking with a very pleasant little fella who was propping the bar up, like me.

I think the evening petered out without major incident, and when I saw Gav later he said 'how did you get on with our Reserve keeper? It turned out that the fella at the bar had been none other than Clive Baker, and I hadn't recognised him at all. Thoroughly nice bloke, though!!

(edit) **Toad and Raspberry
[Post edited 30 Jan 2020 17:45]

Black Adder

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024