Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? 09:53 - Mar 19 with 11518 viewsSwailsey

In terms of food etc.

A month? 2 months?

Hard to balance feeling like I need to be prepared and not wanting to take on unnecessary hoards at the detriment of others.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 11:25 - Mar 19 with 2897 viewsSwansea_Blue

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:05 - Mar 19 by Guthrum

They will introduce formal rationing if this continues*. Plus in lockdown, the panic-buyers will not be able to get to the shops.

* At some point they're going to run out of money to panic buy with, plus space to put the stuff.

Plenty of space, I've taken out a lease on a lockup - what do people reckon?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 11:33 - Mar 19 with 2888 viewsFenland_Blue

Going to be plenty of divorces and babies appearing.

Up and mainly down, following Town since 88

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 11:35 - Mar 19 with 2885 viewsSwansea_Blue

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 11:33 - Mar 19 by Fenland_Blue

Going to be plenty of divorces and babies appearing.

It's time like this I'd like a man cave. I do have a garage, so I think that will be seeing quite a lot of use, once I've cleared it out a bit.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Meat and Gin its all your basic food groups... on 11:35 - Mar 19 with 2884 viewsunstableblue

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:43 - Mar 19 by hampstead_blue

Need more gin and vodka, apart from that we have two freezers which are always full of meat and stuff

We've also got the Savernake Forest so hunting deer will be an option.

(vegans need not apply)

.... you shall be nourished

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 11:35 - Mar 19 with 2885 viewsBlue_Order

Just got an ounce in.

Should be good for a week or two.
Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 12:35 - Mar 19 with 2865 viewsElderGrizzly

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:47 - Mar 19 by BrixtonBlue

I think the daily updates from Johnson and his advisors have been very good and informative.

If he didn't do them people would be complaining they're not being kept informed/up-to-date.

They have been in some cases countering their own advice, plus the Language used by Johnson in particular has also been rightly criticised.

Information yes, but there is too much and too often requires a level of understanding that is beyond 90% of the population.

Mis-understanding advice fuels even more panic and the circle is complete.
Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 12:39 - Mar 19 with 2861 viewsRyorry

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:09 - Mar 19 by Harry_Palmer

Why would they not be able to get to the shops? The lockdown situations in Italy and Spain allow people to leave their homes if they are shopping for food or medicine don't they?

Because some of us have been told to self-isolate.

I've enough basics for probably 3-4 weeks, but will run out of fresh veg & eggs in 5-7 days, and it's that stuff you need to boost your immune system to help fight Covid-19.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 12:42]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 12:49 - Mar 19 with 2844 viewsHarry_Palmer

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 12:39 - Mar 19 by Ryorry

I've enough basics for probably 3-4 weeks, but will run out of fresh veg & eggs in 5-7 days, and it's that stuff you need to boost your immune system to help fight Covid-19.

Fair point, but I suspect the vast majority of people will still be allowed to go food shopping even in the event of a total lockdown. Delivery services will still be available to you or hopefully a friendly neighbour would help you out, I would volunteer Ryorry, but from memory you are a bit too far away!
Login to get fewer ads

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 12:55 - Mar 19 with 2832 viewsLord_Lucan

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:08 - Mar 19 by N2_Blue

you do realise a lock down doesn't mean you can't leave the house for essentials.

The government really needs to communicate this quickly because so many people seem to thing they need months worth of supplies and are panicking.

Lockdown does not mean you cannot go outside to shop or exercise. It means no unnecessary excursions and no social interactions where avoidable. This is already advised but hasn't been made compulsory yet. A lockdown will make it compulsory and shut all non-essential services

This is the same for all countires that have implemented their lockdowns

Well said.

In fact a lockdown would result in more goods in the shops - it did in Italy anyway.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:13 - Mar 19 with 2817 viewsjeera

I'm geared up because I thought I was having a hernia op next week, so I wouldn't drive for a while or lift much.

So I'd already got stocked up for that.

Only thing I'm worried about is beer. Tesco's shelves yesterday were devoid of beer!

The bastards have moved from loo rolls, to food, to discovering other food they didn't know before even existed, and now the feckers are taking all the booze too!

I hate people.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:27 - Mar 19 with 2789 viewsjeera

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 12:39 - Mar 19 by Ryorry

If you've got any sense you'll stick an online order in now.

You probably won't get a slot for a month but when it does arrive you might be glad you did it.

If things change then you can cancel.

I'd suggest anyone in the considered vulnerable group does so to be honest, and if you tell them then they're more likely to honour the booking and may even offer something sooner.

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:30 - Mar 19 with 2782 viewsJ2BLUE

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:27 - Mar 19 by jeera

You probably won't get a slot for a month but when it does arrive you might be glad you did it.

I'd suggest anyone in the considered vulnerable group does so to be honest, and if you tell them then they're more likely to honour the booking and may even offer something sooner.

People on MSE book Christmas slots by putting 4 bottles of champagne in their basket and checking out. It doesn't take the money. They then amend their basket to what they need/want at the time.

Might be a decent option for some.

I had the shock of my life when I went in Tesco yesterday and they were out of quinoa. Then I realised I was looking in the wrong place and they had plenty. Absolute scenes.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:35 - Mar 19 with 2781 viewsVaughan8

Anyone who has more than 2 weeks is stockpiling or has a massive chest freezer! haha

Surely even on "lockdown" we are allowed to get food somehow?
Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:38 - Mar 19 with 2773 viewsElderGrizzly

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:35 - Mar 19 by Vaughan8

Anyone who has more than 2 weeks is stockpiling or has a massive chest freezer! haha

Surely even on "lockdown" we are allowed to get food somehow?

Yes we are.

And if the morons don’t stop stockpiling, the Government will introduce rationing within the next 2 weeks
Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:42 - Mar 19 with 2765 viewsjeera

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:30 - Mar 19 by J2BLUE

People on MSE book Christmas slots by putting 4 bottles of champagne in their basket and checking out. It doesn't take the money. They then amend their basket to what they need/want at the time.

Might be a decent option for some.

I had the shock of my life when I went in Tesco yesterday and they were out of quinoa. Then I realised I was looking in the wrong place and they had plenty. Absolute scenes.

Potential downside being that if they're out of something at the time the order gets put together then they're out, regardless of the booking.

But as we've said, for those who can't get out and about it's better than nothing.

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:42 - Mar 19 with 2762 viewsVaughan8

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:38 - Mar 19 by ElderGrizzly

Yes we are.

And if the morons don’t stop stockpiling, the Government will introduce rationing within the next 2 weeks

Agreed. Unfortunately there is a lot of stupid and selfish people.

I can't honestly believe people would normally have a months worth of food in their house but maybe they have a large house/storage.

I would hope the things I have could last 1.5-2 weeks at a stretch bar milk/bread etc.
Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:52 - Mar 19 with 2751 viewsjeera

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:42 - Mar 19 by Vaughan8

Agreed. Unfortunately there is a lot of stupid and selfish people.

I can't honestly believe people would normally have a months worth of food in their house but maybe they have a large house/storage.

I would hope the things I have could last 1.5-2 weeks at a stretch bar milk/bread etc.

In all your years on the planet, you've never heard of people doing a monthly shop?

Really?

It's precisely how some people who get paid monthly budget their shopping.

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:54 - Mar 19 with 2746 viewsVaughan8

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:52 - Mar 19 by jeera

In all your years on the planet, you've never heard of people doing a monthly shop?

Really?

It's precisely how some people who get paid monthly budget their shopping.

People actually do that? Suppose if you don't buy any fresh item then yeah.

I can't believe people only get one shop a month for everything. Don't they eat fresh veg/fruit/milk/cheese/yoghurts etc etc etc?

Though if we all do what you suggest we will be blocking vulnerable people getting those delivery slots as and when they are needed.

Booking it in a month and cancelling it if not needed isn't great advice really. You're still blocking other people from getting those slots. It is just causing more problems down the line. we all need to be sensible.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 13:59]
Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:55 - Mar 19 with 2742 viewsRyorry

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:27 - Mar 19 by jeera

Said on another thread which you've probably not seen, that I placed a Waitrose order a week ago for a delivery on Sat 28th - first available one they had. But when I rang up to ask about amendments they said you can as long as it's before midday the day before, but they don't reserve non-perishables - what you get will be what's in stock the day before delivery.

Thought immediately of placing a Sains order for a month's time, but apparently they've said that as from Mon, they'll be providing some priority delivery slots for those on enforced isolation, so thought I'd wait & see what happens then.

3 very kind sets of neighbours offered to help a few days ago, but thing is that they all work ft, plus 2 sets have 6 youngish kids between them, so of course you're reluctant to ask, esp if having to specifically email or phone rather than just bumping into them.

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:58 - Mar 19 with 2733 viewsmonytowbray

I have three bog rolls left between 3 of us and I take no pride in admitting a "shower of shame" may become the requirement. But in difficult times we need to be open about these challenges and help each other.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 14:00 - Mar 19 with 2727 viewsRyorry

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:58 - Mar 19 by monytowbray

I have three bog rolls left between 3 of us and I take no pride in admitting a "shower of shame" may become the requirement. But in difficult times we need to be open about these challenges and help each other.

Even if I could travel, I'm afraid I wouldn't be volunteering to wipe your bum, however comparatively veganly sweet it is, soz!

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 14:01 - Mar 19 with 2725 viewsNewcyBlue

We have 5 cats and 5 rabbits. We'll eat the rabbits first. One is massive so will provide a good couple of days worth of food.

I've not told MrsN my plan yet. Wish me luck.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 14:04 - Mar 19 with 2712 viewsJ2BLUE

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:58 - Mar 19 by monytowbray

Not sure i'd be volunteering to help you with that mate.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 14:05 - Mar 19 with 2710 viewsEireannach_gorm

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 10:15 - Mar 19 by brazil1982

My mate swears by his recipe for mushy pea curry. I cant think of the mess it would create for me.

Lucky you stockpiled the toilet rolls.
Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 14:05 - Mar 19 with 2710 viewsjeera

Say there was lockdown today, how are you set? on 13:54 - Mar 19 by Vaughan8

People actually do that? Suppose if you don't buy any fresh item then yeah.

I can't believe people only get one shop a month for everything. Don't they eat fresh veg/fruit/milk/cheese/yoghurts etc etc etc?

Though if we all do what you suggest we will be blocking vulnerable people getting those delivery slots as and when they are needed.

Booking it in a month and cancelling it if not needed isn't great advice really. You're still blocking other people from getting those slots. It is just causing more problems down the line. we all need to be sensible.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 13:59]

I think it's fair to assume the fresh items would be considered top-ups.

I buy when I see offers. Generally I mean, clearly not at the moment.

If there's a 2/3 for something and the price difference is enough then of course I'll buy it if it's something I use regularly, can freeze etc.

Living alone it mounts up.

If you came here this week you'd see maybe 24 loo rolls in the cupboard and might think I'm stockpiling. Whereas the truth is I bought those 2 months ago when I had to spend 70 quid on a shop to use some tenner off voucher I'd been emailed. I ran out of things I wanted so bought non-perishables, that kinda thing.

It's just individual shopping habits isn't it. We all have our quirks.

Edit: I've just seen your edit. Vaughn with respect, please read what I said.

Vulnerable people, who may not have support or access to transport mate. Those are the ones I was clearly referring to.

And "if things change"; i.e. no more isolation and all is well. Then it won't make any difference.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 14:10]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024