Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't 11:27 - Apr 30 with 3131 viewsgainsboroughblue

These best elevens are great reads but also makes me wish I was slightly older sometimes, just to fully appreciate what a great side we were. I started going in the early 80's but was too young really to fully appreciate the gravity of how good we are.

I saw Beattie play but not at his peak, same with Big' Al Hunter, but from what I've been read from posters older than myself, I wish I could go in a time capsule and watch Jimmy Leadbitter.

Any more for any more?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:28 - Apr 30 with 2080 viewsLord_Lucan

Crawford or Phillips

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:32 - Apr 30 with 2043 viewsKeno

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:28 - Apr 30 by Lord_Lucan

Crawford or Phillips

Danny Hegan

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:34 - Apr 30 with 2044 viewsBarcaBlue

Crawford for me, missed him by about 5 years I think. Pretty sure my first game was in 1973 but I'm hopeless at remembering matches.
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:35 - Apr 30 with 2040 viewsbournemouthblue

Given I'm a millennial there's a long list but I know it could be worse, any of our fans from Generation Z have had it seriously rough!

So more or less anyone from the 70's and 80's sides and the title winning side

Pretty much anyone from our all time eleven I guess plus the all time eleven substitutes bench

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:40 - Apr 30 with 2013 viewsWarkystache

Trevor Whymark, only because I didn't go to a game until I was ten in 1984 and he'd long gone/retired injured by then, yet my dad always said he'd never seen a rawer more talented centre forward.

My dad never rated my hero Kevin Wilson, which. when I was a kid, made me detest Trevor Whymark 'cos pops always compared my favourites to him; plus we had some proper sh*t when I started watching. Mich D'Avray, Michael Cole, that sort. Until Dalian Atkinson made it in about 1987.

The other thing that used to annoy me was I just missed out on the 'greats' of the Sir Bobby era, so had to 'make do' with the likes of Steve McCall, Russell Osman and Terry Butcher. I know that's harsh on those players as they were good for us, but I'd've loved to have seen the likes of Mick Mills, Paul Mariner, Muhren and Thijssen live.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:40 - Apr 30 with 2014 viewsChutney

Good thread.

Beattie for me. By my standards Berra was good, Venus was good. Mowbray was good, McGreal was good, McAuley was good.

So I can barely imagine how it must've been to see someone like Beattie in a Town shirt every week.
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:41 - Apr 30 with 2011 viewsGuthrum

Paul Mariner. Never saw him play "live".

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:46 - Apr 30 with 2002 viewsPiercingBlue

Crawford. Only saw his testimonial
Login to get fewer ads

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:58 - Apr 30 with 1982 viewsWarkystache

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:41 - Apr 30 by Guthrum

Dad said he was a bit like a much, much better James Scowcroft. Intelligent runs, powerful in the air, good on the ground, great foil for Alan Brazil.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 12:02 - Apr 30 with 1970 viewsKeno

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:40 - Apr 30 by Chutney

Good thread.

Beattie for me. By my standards Berra was good, Venus was good. Mowbray was good, McGreal was good, McAuley was good.

So I can barely imagine how it must've been to see someone like Beattie in a Town shirt every week.

It was amazing!!

The only trouble was you got used to it and never thought Town would be any different

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 12:07 - Apr 30 with 1971 viewsBarcaBlue

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:58 - Apr 30 by Warkystache

Dad said he was a bit like a much, much better James Scowcroft. Intelligent runs, powerful in the air, good on the ground, great foil for Alan Brazil.

I've seen a few ex-players in the Best XI posts say Mariner was hard as nails. I never appreciated that at the time, he had much more "grace" about him than say someone like Bob Latchford or Malcolm MacDonald. Most complete striker I've seen at Ipswich hence the regret of not being able to compare with Crawford.
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 12:42 - Apr 30 with 1942 viewsPJH

Been there,done that.

Not sure that I was born at the right time for anything else but I was certainly born at the right time to be an ITFC supporter and it helped to have ITFC supporting mum and dad.
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 12:49 - Apr 30 with 1929 viewsPJH

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 12:07 - Apr 30 by BarcaBlue

I've seen a few ex-players in the Best XI posts say Mariner was hard as nails. I never appreciated that at the time, he had much more "grace" about him than say someone like Bob Latchford or Malcolm MacDonald. Most complete striker I've seen at Ipswich hence the regret of not being able to compare with Crawford.

Mariner was the more complete centre forward but Crawford was the better goalscorer/taker of chances.

Crawford is always guaranteed to be in any best ever ITFC team that I pick along with Mills,Hunter,Beattie,Thijssen,Wark and Muhren-the other four places are flexible.
[Post edited 1 May 2020 11:14]
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 12:55 - Apr 30 with 1892 viewsMeadowlark

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:40 - Apr 30 by Warkystache

Trevor Whymark, only because I didn't go to a game until I was ten in 1984 and he'd long gone/retired injured by then, yet my dad always said he'd never seen a rawer more talented centre forward.

My dad never rated my hero Kevin Wilson, which. when I was a kid, made me detest Trevor Whymark 'cos pops always compared my favourites to him; plus we had some proper sh*t when I started watching. Mich D'Avray, Michael Cole, that sort. Until Dalian Atkinson made it in about 1987.

The other thing that used to annoy me was I just missed out on the 'greats' of the Sir Bobby era, so had to 'make do' with the likes of Steve McCall, Russell Osman and Terry Butcher. I know that's harsh on those players as they were good for us, but I'd've loved to have seen the likes of Mick Mills, Paul Mariner, Muhren and Thijssen live.

Trevor Whymark was a fantastic player and in my opinion, never gets the recognition he deserves. He was the perfect strike partner to both David Johnson and Paul Mariner and made them both look good. (And before that Rod Befitt!) I'm not saying they weren't good of course, but Whymark was just a classy forward who got on with his game without making a fuss and could always be relied upon. His heading was second to none but his overall positional play and finishing were both top class. My favourite town player of all time.

But to answer the question: Ted Phillips. I saw Crawford.
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 12:56 - Apr 30 with 1894 viewsmonty_radio

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 12:49 - Apr 30 by PJH

Mariner was the more complete centre forward but Crawford was the better goalscorer/taker of chances.

Crawford is always guaranteed to be in any best ever ITFC team that I pick along with Mills,Hunter,Beattie,Thijssen,Wark and Muhren-the other four places are flexible.
[Post edited 1 May 2020 11:14]

Crawford fed off Phillips whereas Mariner was the provider.

The one player for me that I didn't see would be Tommy Parker as he held the appearance record for years.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 12:56 - Apr 30 with 1888 viewsRocky

Mark Fish.
I never did see him play.
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 12:57 - Apr 30 with 1887 viewsFtnfwest

Phillips or Crawford although barely saw viljoen either
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 13:10 - Apr 30 with 1881 viewsIP12

Leadbitter was a player 'years ahead of his time'. I saw him play several times (including the Third Div South days).....One of the best players ever to pull on a Town shirt. An England international right back once asked his manager how to play him, The reply was...'Don't worry about it. Take up your normal position on the pitch. He'll find you after about 30 mins.
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 13:28 - Apr 30 with 1847 viewsFifeITFC

I would have loved to have seen Muhern or Thijssen, I think. Would love to have seen their skills with the ball.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 13:36 - Apr 30 with 1838 viewsfactual_blue

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:41 - Apr 30 by Guthrum

I saw him on his debut.

But I don't like to mention it.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 13:38 - Apr 30 with 1829 viewsBlueBadger

Wark in his prime.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 13:39 - Apr 30 with 1829 viewsitfcjoe

Can I go or a manager? Bobby Robson - because then I'd be seeing one of his 3 great teams

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 14:02 - Apr 30 with 1800 viewsKieran_Knows

Wark or Beattie.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 14:07 - Apr 30 with 1791 viewsitfc_bucks

Mark Fish
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 14:10 - Apr 30 with 1790 viewsChurchman

I saw Crawford at the end of his career at Town. I’d love to have seen Phillips him and Jimmy Leadbetter terrorising the real Division One
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024