Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't 11:27 - Apr 30 with 3135 viewsgainsboroughblue

These best elevens are great reads but also makes me wish I was slightly older sometimes, just to fully appreciate what a great side we were. I started going in the early 80's but was too young really to fully appreciate the gravity of how good we are.

I saw Beattie play but not at his peak, same with Big' Al Hunter, but from what I've been read from posters older than myself, I wish I could go in a time capsule and watch Jimmy Leadbitter.

Any more for any more?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 14:10 - Apr 30 with 763 viewsPendejo

Phillips - powerful shot right or left foot

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 14:54 - Apr 30 with 753 viewsEpiphone

Another vote for Crawford and/or Phillips.
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 14:56 - Apr 30 with 749 viewsmonytowbray

Beattie. For sure.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 15:08 - Apr 30 with 746 viewsITFC_Forever

I started going in 1983, so I can just about remember Brazil, Wark, Mariner etc.

So I would say, in no particular order:
Beattie
Hunter
Whymark
Crawford
Phillips
Muhren
Thijssen

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 15:18 - Apr 30 with 739 viewsLibero

Kevin Beattie
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 15:23 - Apr 30 with 734 viewsLord_Lucan

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 13:28 - Apr 30 by FifeITFC

I would have loved to have seen Muhern or Thijssen, I think. Would love to have seen their skills with the ball.

I think Thijssen was the best footballer I have ever seen.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 17:38 - Apr 30 with 703 viewsrgp1

Albert Day

Scored a hat trick in a 5-1 thrashing of the scum at carrot road in 1947.
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 17:58 - Apr 30 with 690 viewsWeWereZombies

John Elsworthy

And not only because it would have made him seem even more of a gent when he served me at the Post Office counter on Felixstowe Road.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Login to get fewer ads

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 18:11 - Apr 30 with 673 viewsr2d2

Crawford, Leadbetter, and Phillips. My Dad used to go on about them all the time.
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 19:59 - Apr 30 with 653 views66notout

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 15:23 - Apr 30 by Lord_Lucan

I think Thijssen was the best footballer I have ever seen.

Hard to argue with that but there was a time when we were actually spoilt for choice.
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 20:49 - Apr 30 with 645 viewsJonBlue

Would love to have seen a Ted Phillips thunderbolt or two...
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 20:51 - Apr 30 with 644 viewsGeoffSentence

Ulrich Le Pen

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 20:58 - Apr 30 with 641 viewsSwansea_Blue

Crawford or Phillips.

Although I wish I'd been paying more attention to the SBR era. In fairness I was about 5 for my first game at the back end of '76. I would love to see that 78-81 era again now, knowing what In know and realising how special it was.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 21:40 - Apr 30 with 626 viewsDouble_Dutch

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 20:58 - Apr 30 by Swansea_Blue

Crawford or Phillips.

Although I wish I'd been paying more attention to the SBR era. In fairness I was about 5 for my first game at the back end of '76. I would love to see that 78-81 era again now, knowing what In know and realising how special it was.

Another vote for Crawford or Phillips.

I feel privileged to have witnessed the Robson years, although, It really is a major regret, that I didn't fully appreciate at the time how special that era was for a club the size of Ipswich. It just appeared that we would be challenging for all domestic honours and competing on the European scene as the norm. Oh, how times have changed!
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 23:05 - Apr 30 with 610 viewsjudespiveyg

Gates, my Dad reckons he's as skilful as anyone he's seen for Ipswich, a little guy in an era he could get hammered. A proper number 10.
But if I were to go for someone I narrowly missed, I'd have liked to see Giovani Dos Santos in his short time at the club, my brother still raves about him even though he can't have seen him play more than about five times.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 23:37 - Apr 30 with 599 viewsTangledupin_Blue

When we reminisce about central defenders we tend to dwell on Beattie (obviously) along with Butcher and Hunter but I really liked Billy Baxter. As I remember he wasn't big but was tough and could outjump much taller players regularly. Captain for years and very reliable. A pity his time at the club ended as it did.

Edit... The player I would like to have seen is Jimmy Leadbetter.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 23:39]

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 10:16 - May 1 with 543 viewsstrikalite

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 23:37 - Apr 30 by Tangledupin_Blue

When we reminisce about central defenders we tend to dwell on Beattie (obviously) along with Butcher and Hunter but I really liked Billy Baxter. As I remember he wasn't big but was tough and could outjump much taller players regularly. Captain for years and very reliable. A pity his time at the club ended as it did.

All the obvious ones have been said and I was just about to mention Billy Baxter who I would have loved to have seen, we used to call a lad a School "Billy" as his surname was Baxter but many of us didn't really have a clue I don't think :)...think one of the parents must have given him that tag during a five-a-side or something...
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 10:19 - May 1 with 542 viewsWeWereZombies

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 10:16 - May 1 by strikalite

All the obvious ones have been said and I was just about to mention Billy Baxter who I would have loved to have seen, we used to call a lad a School "Billy" as his surname was Baxter but many of us didn't really have a clue I don't think :)...think one of the parents must have given him that tag during a five-a-side or something...

Lad in my class was called Charlie because his surname was Woods.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 10:23 - May 1 with 540 viewsPJH

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 23:37 - Apr 30 by Tangledupin_Blue

I think he was five foot eight inches but yes he was great in the air and he did outjump taller opponents.

A winghalf in the 1961/62 team and also the youngest member of that team he was converted to centre half by Bill McGarry in 1964/65.
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 10:38 - May 1 with 534 viewsmonty_radio

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 10:23 - May 1 by PJH

I think he was five foot eight inches but yes he was great in the air and he did outjump taller opponents.

A winghalf in the 1961/62 team and also the youngest member of that team he was converted to centre half by Bill McGarry in 1964/65.

Each April time you hear people say that footballers whose teams are out of any danger or contention are already mentally on the beaches - meaning sunny, faraway climes.

We often saw Bill Baxter with towell spread out, sunning himself on the concrete of Broom Hill Lido. Even Felixstowe was a beach too far in those underpaid times.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 10:39 - May 1 with 534 viewsurbanblue

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:32 - Apr 30 by Keno

Danny Hegan

Not only did I seem him play for Town but also played with him and against him after he retired from the pro game. Mind you he was half pissed most of the time but still oozed class!
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:06 - May 1 with 518 viewssolemio

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 12:49 - Apr 30 by PJH

Mariner was the more complete centre forward but Crawford was the better goalscorer/taker of chances.

Crawford is always guaranteed to be in any best ever ITFC team that I pick along with Mills,Hunter,Beattie,Thijssen,Wark and Muhren-the other four places are flexible.
[Post edited 1 May 2020 11:14]

Flixible: You come from New Zealand.

I totally agree with all the points you make.
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:07 - May 1 with 517 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’m blessed to have had my teenage years when we were the best team in Europe so it would have to be Crawford and Phillips for me.

I fell out of love with football in 1983, other than World Cups, and didn’t return until 1991 so I’m sorry I missed Dalian Atkinson. From what those who saw him tell me he was very special.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:08 - May 1 with 516 viewssolemio

George McLuckie
One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:13 - May 1 with 513 viewsPJH

One player for Town you wished you'd seen play that you haven't on 11:06 - May 1 by solemio

Flixible: You come from New Zealand.

I totally agree with all the points you make.

Edit about to be made,my proof reader could not have been paying attention.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024