Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone written to their Tory MP? 23:21 - May 24 with 7431 viewstractordownsouth

Here's my contribution for what it's worth. Many of the MPs who've broken rank so far have done so off the back of constituent emails, so I'd encourage as many people to complain as possible.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 12:43 - May 25 with 1777 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 12:38 - May 25 by LankHenners

Wouldn't get your hopes up.

Dom's straight back to work. No stopping the man.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 12:46 - May 25 with 1764 viewsHerbivore

You think they're conveying a facade of actually caring? Interesting, that'd be a bold and risky strategy.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 12:47 - May 25 with 1760 viewsPinewoodblue

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 23:29 - May 24 by factual_blue

As a constituent of matt hancock's, there's no point.

Excellent letter though.

Every point as long as it is followed through. Just need to get someone to ask Hancock a question about it at Coronavirus daily press conference, when Hancock is available to answer.

I sent Cartlidge an email but do expect a reasoned response.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 13:00 - May 25 with 1735 viewsLankHenners

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 12:46 - May 25 by Herbivore

You think they're conveying a facade of actually caring? Interesting, that'd be a bold and risky strategy.

I imagine this is the 'relevant colleague' that the letters are being passed to.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 13:01 - May 25 with 1728 viewsfooters

Absolutely pathetic.

Hopefully their constituents will bear in mind the disdain their elected representatives actually hold for them.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 13:10 - May 25 with 1693 viewsLankHenners

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 13:01 - May 25 by footers

Absolutely pathetic.

Hopefully their constituents will bear in mind the disdain their elected representatives actually hold for them.

There could be an election tomorrow and I doubt we'd see the sort of swing you'd expect.

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 13:24 - May 25 with 1662 viewsHerbivore

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 13:10 - May 25 by LankHenners

There could be an election tomorrow and I doubt we'd see the sort of swing you'd expect.

Sadly you're right. I had a look at some responses on Facebook to one of the Tory backbenchers calling for Cummings to go. Whilst there were plenty of people in agreement and very angry with Cummings, there were just as many 60 plus white people from the South of England saying it was a disgrace, lefty media witch hunt, remoaner plot, did nothing wrong, support the PM's judgement, etc., etc. I found it fascinating and utterly depressing in equal measure.

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 13:27 - May 25 with 1651 viewstractordownsouth

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 13:24 - May 25 by Herbivore

Sadly you're right. I had a look at some responses on Facebook to one of the Tory backbenchers calling for Cummings to go. Whilst there were plenty of people in agreement and very angry with Cummings, there were just as many 60 plus white people from the South of England saying it was a disgrace, lefty media witch hunt, remoaner plot, did nothing wrong, support the PM's judgement, etc., etc. I found it fascinating and utterly depressing in equal measure.

They love it when Trump puts kids in cages for their parents breaking their law, yet now they're also claiming it's okay for DC to break the law for his kids' welfare

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 13:49 - May 25 with 1600 viewsitfcjoe

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 09:48 - May 25 by pointofblue

I’m in Suffolk Central and North Ipswich but I know Dan Poulter returned to work as a doctor so not sure how much of a MP he is being at the moment - not that I blame him for a moment. Interestingly he doesn’t appear to have any kind of social media account to gauge whether he supports Cummings, wants him gone or is pretending it’s not happening.

I've sent an email to Poulter, like you say he doesn't seem to have any social media presence now.

Will see what I get back, have had the automatic response so far but made sure included postcode etc so he has to reply

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 14:00 - May 25 with 1584 viewsTrequartista

Even if some Tory MPs took any notice of this, the government would simply withdraw the whip from them. They did this without hesitation last year even before they secured a comfortable majority.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 14:20 - May 25 with 1552 viewsLankHenners

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 13:24 - May 25 by Herbivore

Yes, whilst there has certainly been a lot of anger from and support for people in terrible circumstances such as not being able to visit dying family members, Tory voters hate 'lefties playing gotcha' far more than anything Cummings has done, even if they believe he was wrong.

Even the 'sensible' well-off, middle-class type of Tory voter would find some way of moralising their vote.

It would be a particularly sad and depressing case of 'online not reflecting the real world'.

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 13:32 - May 26 with 1464 viewsPablokuqi

Any replies yet?
Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 13:40 - May 26 with 1437 viewsKeno

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 13:32 - May 26 by Pablokuqi

Any replies yet?

No

I emailed my MP yesterday but Peter Bottomley is about as useless as Paul Lambert

Actually that is possibly unfair on Lambert

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 13:41 - May 26 with 1436 viewsPinewoodblue

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 14:20 - May 25 by LankHenners

Yes, whilst there has certainly been a lot of anger from and support for people in terrible circumstances such as not being able to visit dying family members, Tory voters hate 'lefties playing gotcha' far more than anything Cummings has done, even if they believe he was wrong.

Even the 'sensible' well-off, middle-class type of Tory voter would find some way of moralising their vote.

It would be a particularly sad and depressing case of 'online not reflecting the real world'.

Tosh!

Recent opinion poll says 52% of those who voted for Brexit say Cummings should resign.

46% of those who voted conservative also say he should resign.

Does highlight the fact that not everyone who voted for Brexit also voted conservative.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 14:27 - May 26 with 1403 viewsSarge

Mine is Dominic Raab. Perhaps if I word it in such a way to imply that public condemnation of Cummings could bring down the Prime Minister and open the door to No.10 for him, it may appeal to the slimy, rotten, opportunistic core that so defines the leadership of the Conservative Party.
Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 15:21 - May 26 with 1372 viewsghostofescobar

Yes I did a couple of days back. My MP is Julie Marson, Tory MP for Stortford and Hertford. No reply yet.just written again. Keep the pressure on I think.

GhostOfEscobar

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 16:04 - May 26 with 1345 viewssolomon

Not entirely sure mine can read, could always resort to pictures I suppose?
Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 16:45 - May 26 with 1326 viewstractordownsouth

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 14:27 - May 26 by Sarge

Mine is Dominic Raab. Perhaps if I word it in such a way to imply that public condemnation of Cummings could bring down the Prime Minister and open the door to No.10 for him, it may appeal to the slimy, rotten, opportunistic core that so defines the leadership of the Conservative Party.

Ask him if he understands the full extent of your email?

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 10:30 - May 27 with 1241 viewstractordownsouth

Got a generic response (which I can accept, given the circumstances) but can't help feeling the content was a bit wishy washy. I responded again afterwards

Dear TDS

Thank you for your email regarding No 10’s Chief of Staff, Dominic Cummings. Please accept my ‘generic’ response. I am not in a position to answer personally to each one.

As a parent I can understand why he and his wife would wish to ensure their child was in good hands once they had developed coronavirus symptoms. However, it is clear that the situation could have been handled very differently and it is not helpful for this ‘story’ to consume so much Government energy at a time like this. It is imperative that the Prime Minister retains control of the situation and I’ve fed this view into Government.

Irrespective of the behaviour of one or two individuals in high office, the fact remains that it is in everyone’s interest that we continue to observe the social distancing guidance and lockdown restrictions if we are to fully beat coronavirus. My hope is that people do not relax and think these restrictions do not matter simply because of this debacle!

Kind regards

Derek Thomas MP for St Ives

Dear Derek 

Thank you for responding, but I'm afraid that it is unacceptable that the situation still hasn't been resolved. Hundreds of parents have commented that they too were in the same scenario when they were ill but continued to look after their children, because they obeyed the rules and didn't explore childcare options hundreds of miles from home, and now feel as if they have suffered for nothing. The government response that Mr Cummings was just acting as a caring father implies that those who did not break the rules were not caring for their children, which is an insult in itself. I'm sure you can recognise that most of the public don't believe that conducting an hour long round trip to test your eyesight, with a child strapped in the back, is not what most Fathers would do. 

The argument of 'one or two individuals in high office' isn't correct either I'm afraid. The other government advisors who did this had the dignity to resign their positions - at the very least Mr Cummings should have apologised during his statement on Monday, which may have subsided some of the (admittedly sometimes hysterical) media coverage. However, I'm unsure why you felt the need for 'story' to be in inverted commas - the flouting of the rules by the top special adviser in government is in the public interest, as it was with the cases of Neil Ferguson and Catherine Calderwood. I appreciate they are different situations but clear violations of the same rules should be met with the same consequences - Cummings even admitted returning to Downing Street after his wife had vomited, which the NHS guidelines show is a Covid symptom. Besides, if Mr Cummings was so concerned about his welfare that he felt it necessary to drive half the length of the country, why wasn't he concerned enough not to return to Downing Street? There has to be consistency.

I too hope that people continue to observe the guidelines, and it is everyone's personal responsibility to do so. However, yesterday the police claimed that rule breakers were citing Cummings' disregard for the rules as an excuse for them to do the same. Of course that is poor on the part of the individuals, but surely you can recognise that those who set the government's instructions should obey them, else they lose legitimacy. A government's responsibility is to protect its' citizens and to recognise the human responses to their decisions - they must set an example. Whilst we are all desperately hoping there is not a second peak, I fear that if a second lockdown is required, the government's messaging has been undermined, and the virus will spread further. I hope you will agree with me and publically condemn the Prime Minister's actions 

Kind regards 

TDS
[Post edited 27 May 2020 10:31]

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 10:33 - May 27 with 1234 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 14:27 - May 26 by Sarge

Do the country a favour and send him an atlas instead.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 11:52 - May 27 with 1203 viewsGaryCooper

Yes, I have written to Jo Churchill with a request as to why council tax has not been discounted, a great deal of the services paid for by the tax have not been attainable for nine weeks, the staff are being paid for by furlough yet council tax remains the same.
Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 11:53 - May 27 with 1199 viewsHerbivore

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 11:52 - May 27 by GaryCooper

Yes, I have written to Jo Churchill with a request as to why council tax has not been discounted, a great deal of the services paid for by the tax have not been attainable for nine weeks, the staff are being paid for by furlough yet council tax remains the same.

Jesus wept, that's your big concern in all this?

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 11:59 - May 27 with 1185 viewsDubtractor

Wow. Lots of talk about hot takes recently, but that's a doozy.

Which services haven't you been able to access, and how much of your council tax do you reckon funds them? Most of the expensive stuff that councils provide has carried on regardless through this.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 12:01 - May 27 with 1180 viewsGaryCooper

Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 11:53 - May 27 by Herbivore

Jesus wept, that's your big concern in all this?

No my main concern is the NHS decision to empty the hospitals of all but the critically ill and send them back to their care homes, in excess of 12500 deaths, keep clapping.

I would suggest that for those on severely restricted budgets the discounting of council tax may be a priority? The frolicking furloughers are happy with their sour dough starter and banana bread.
Anyone written to their Tory MP? on 12:02 - May 27 with 1169 viewsm14_blue

That’s a really great point Gary.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024