Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cash out 08:32 - Aug 2 with 18836 viewsKropotkin123

Who uses cash?

- Old people
- Drug dealers and users
- Tax Dodgers

Why is cash an issue

Cost: Believe it or not, it costs money to make money. Mining metals, minting coins, designing pictures, testing quality, fraud prevention, fraud detection, printing and on and on.

Environment: The environment is harmed in many ways. Mining, supply chain impacts like transportation, electricity at ATMs, felling trees.

Health: aside from the obvious - pollution put into the atmosphere, waters and soil. Money is great for transferring viruses and bacteria. Many, many people touch the same coins and notes, which touch other coins and notes.

Drug Industry: Drug dealers don't use cards to buy and sell drugs. They operate in cash. A typical deal will have huge wads of £20 notes.

Tax Evaders: Paying in cash gives the recipient the ability to not declare actual earnings, reducing their tax liabilities, meaning you, yes you, end up paying more tax as the loss of revenue is factored into government taxation either knowingly or unknowingly.

How does the removal of cash reduce these issues

- No money means no investment in making money.

- No money means the environmental damage is stopped.

- Ceasing the circulation of money ceases the health risks associated with money

- Stopping the ability to pay for drugs without a trail will make it more difficult to distribute drugs on scale.

- Having all transactions through card will reduce low level tax evasion.

How to implement

- Instantly cease production of all new coins and notes.

- Give a one year period for everyone to return all coins and notes to banks.

- After one year make all notes and coins illegal tender.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 8:36]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Cash out on 11:36 - Aug 2 with 3764 viewsDebsyAngel

I use it still and prefer it that way. I use a card if I HAVE to but there should be all options as people prefer different things. And what would happen to money in a birthday card and stuff like that? Pocket money for kids?
Cash out on 11:38 - Aug 2 with 3761 viewsericclacton

Cash out on 11:58 - Aug 2 with 3709 viewsRyorry

Cash out on 11:36 - Aug 2 by DebsyAngel

I use it still and prefer it that way. I use a card if I HAVE to but there should be all options as people prefer different things. And what would happen to money in a birthday card and stuff like that? Pocket money for kids?

And charity collection tins, jars on counters etc.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Cash out on 11:59 - Aug 2 with 3706 viewsBent_double

Cash out on 10:28 - Aug 2 by Marshalls_Mullet

Paranoid.

Android?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Cash out on 12:00 - Aug 2 with 3704 viewsDebsyAngel

Cash out on 11:58 - Aug 2 by Ryorry

And charity collection tins, jars on counters etc.

Yes, of course - had forgotten about them!
Cash out on 12:07 - Aug 2 with 3675 viewsBent_double

Cash out on 09:43 - Aug 2 by MattinLondon

‘Big Brother’ doesn’t give a damn about the ordinary person.

Lockdown has probably reduced the usage of cash which is a good thing. If people are worried about spending too much money on their cards then they can put limitations on it.

Maybe they don't, but the point is they could in a cashless society, why give them even more power over our daily lives?

And anyone who thinks cash is only used by 'drug dealers' or those avoiding tax needs their head examining, me thinks.

Don't understand why some people are so anti-cash, I use cash and cards all the time, I take a lot of cash in my business, happy to have both.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Cash out on 12:08 - Aug 2 with 3673 viewsRyorry

Cash out on 09:36 - Aug 2 by Ely_Blue

It employs people to make cash, distribute cash, make/maintain cash machines etc etc, therefore you are intending to make more people unemployed?

Then there are the poorer countries in the world whereby cash is a simple transaction that doesn’t involve going online or having a digital infrastructure to be able to manage a cashless way of life.

Even in our own country you have small farm and hobby businesses (market traders/car boot sellers/marketplace sellers) for whom having card machines and PayPal payments just adds cost to them.

I could go on but not a very well thought out OP even for this country let alone the rest of the world

It's also pretty town/city focussed. Out here in the sticks when we sell tickets for village hall events, or our chook eggs to passers by, we/they are not going to be carrying card machines between the houses that are 400 yards apart when we drop the tickets off, and the passers by aren't going to leave their bank account details in the honesty boxes ...
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 12:10]

Cash out on 12:12 - Aug 2 with 3667 viewsPendejo

Cash out on 09:35 - Aug 2 by allezlesbleus

1) I've never had a problem at a till / checkout, being told that my cash doesn't work. I've had several problems at till/ checkouts where my card doesn't work through no fault of my own.

2) It is far easier to get into money problems when paying for everything by card.

3) I don't like the fact that if cash is banned, "Big Brother" would be able to trace everything that you do and pay for.

1) I have had problems at tills, usually for Scottish notes as I used to go North of the border frequently, and I've had the misfortune to receive a counterfeit note.

2) Disagree. Those at most vulnerability from loan sharks predominantly use cash.

3) There are over? 60m people native to U.K. then there are the millions of tourists, for Big Brother to keep a track on whether you are one of the few people buying "Big Jugs" magazine(obviously about antique porcelain) from Jindy Singh's cornershop (my local) they'd need agents on a one to twenty ratio, which would go someway to reducing unemployment, but entirely unfeasible.

However
The biggest thing for me would be tipping would probably die out, having spent 16 years in an industry where tips probably account for 25% (undeclared) income... But then that is tax evasion....

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

Cash out on 12:19 - Aug 2 with 3650 viewsPendejo

Cash out on 09:57 - Aug 2 by Bluefish

On this subject....

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/birds-manager-sacked-lettin

Interesting article

I had a situation where one of my employees was using a company fuel card to steal money. Networked part time at a petrol station and when someone paid cash he pocketed the cash and rang up a higher figure against the card. Eventually running up a debt of a few grand against the fuel card then disappearing.

Not saying the person in that article did that, just a reminder for me of a similar(ish) situation.

uberima fides

Cash out on 12:21 - Aug 2 with 3643 viewsPendejo

Cash out on 10:03 - Aug 2 by Horseboy

Poor old seaside suffering again, how do arcades survive? Kids with debit cards???

In some places the arcades work on tokens only which you buy on site either from a machine or cash booth.

Where there's a will there's a way

uberima fides

Cash out on 12:24 - Aug 2 with 3631 viewsBloomBlue

But in terms of costs bank cards cost money to make and they contain materials which are bad for the environment. Mobile phones contain batteries and the minerals used in batteries are much worse for the environment than money especially if they aren't disposed of correctly.

More financial fraud occurs using cards than money. Have you ever wondered why hackers demand the £millions in payment via (ie) bitcoin rather than cash.

Most tax Dodgers don't deal in cash unless you mean people who do small cash jobs ie window cleaners
Cash out on 12:28 - Aug 2 with 3624 viewsPendejo

Cash out on 10:07 - Aug 2 by Bent_double

So you're happy for government/big business to have total control of your finances (credit/debit cards, bank accounts can be cut-off at any time) and to know exactly where you're spending your money then?

No, there is a need for cash, it should not be got rid of.

See my post further down.

The manpower required to monitor every single transaction, every second of everyday would be immense, even if backed up by super computers.

No-one will a flying fck if you buy a loaf of bread every other day. Buying industrial amounts of chemicals to make explosives on the other hand.

There is already the capability to see money arriving at and leaving your bank account, and ask questions where there are discrepancies...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53581840

uberima fides

Cash out on 12:31 - Aug 2 with 3621 viewsPendejo

Cash out on 12:00 - Aug 2 by DebsyAngel

Yes, of course - had forgotten about them!

Reply to all in this chain - where there is a will there is a way

My youngest kids get their pocket money into their accounts by dd.

Waypoint type technology for the charity boxes.... Which are often targets for junky scum after a quick fix

Edit junky changed to kinky by auto correct. Let me state categorically I do not think kinky people are scum, in fact I am happy to embrace them, wearing a gimp suit and clamps.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 12:35]

uberima fides

Cash out on 12:33 - Aug 2 with 3612 viewsPendejo

Cash out on 10:28 - Aug 2 by Marshalls_Mullet

My local Chinese take away will still only accept cash.

Possibly falls under one of those categories.

Our local Chinese tried to levy a few for using debut card after that had been made illegal, so now only accept cash. While their just eat menu has had a 15% price increase levied, very naughty.

Does your Chinese appear on just eat or similar?

uberima fides

Cash out on 12:35 - Aug 2 with 3608 viewsRyorry

Cash out on 12:31 - Aug 2 by Pendejo

Reply to all in this chain - where there is a will there is a way

My youngest kids get their pocket money into their accounts by dd.

Waypoint type technology for the charity boxes.... Which are often targets for junky scum after a quick fix

Edit junky changed to kinky by auto correct. Let me state categorically I do not think kinky people are scum, in fact I am happy to embrace them, wearing a gimp suit and clamps.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 12:35]

Why are you so desperate to *force* people to use technology which clearly doesn't suit many, is cumbersome, prone to digital crashing and requires expensive hardware which simply doesn't function in the many areas of not just the UK where there is no mobile signal or wifi connection, but in poor or remote areas of the world?

Cash out on 12:43 - Aug 2 with 3591 viewsPendejo

Cash out on 12:35 - Aug 2 by Ryorry

Why are you so desperate to *force* people to use technology which clearly doesn't suit many, is cumbersome, prone to digital crashing and requires expensive hardware which simply doesn't function in the many areas of not just the UK where there is no mobile signal or wifi connection, but in poor or remote areas of the world?

I am neither the Governor of the Bank of England not the Chancellor of the Exchequer, so I am not forcing anyone to do anything, simply playing devil's advocate.

The hardware is not expensive, a PDQ machine is less than £20 (so I was told by prospective employer a few years ago)

Quality of mobile phone or Wi-Fi signal can be improved with a little investment (jobs)

I regularly use card payment in Colombia, some parts of which are both poor and remote.

However I would not suggest it's use should be imposed anywhere just that it could be achieved, I dare say bartering is still a currency somewhete.

uberima fides

Cash out on 12:50 - Aug 2 with 3580 viewsRyorry

Cash out on 12:43 - Aug 2 by Pendejo

I am neither the Governor of the Bank of England not the Chancellor of the Exchequer, so I am not forcing anyone to do anything, simply playing devil's advocate.

The hardware is not expensive, a PDQ machine is less than £20 (so I was told by prospective employer a few years ago)

Quality of mobile phone or Wi-Fi signal can be improved with a little investment (jobs)

I regularly use card payment in Colombia, some parts of which are both poor and remote.

However I would not suggest it's use should be imposed anywhere just that it could be achieved, I dare say bartering is still a currency somewhete.

"The hardware is not expensive, a PDQ machine is less than £20 (so I was told by prospective employer a few years ago)"

Computers & smartphones aren't expensive? Dream on.

"Quality of mobile phone or Wi-Fi signal can be improved with a little investment (jobs)"

We've been told that for the past 25 years, with no ensuing investment or improvement, so again, dream on.

Clearly there isn't a will in many places, so having made your same point several times, there's no need to keep banging on.

Cash out on 13:23 - Aug 2 with 3542 viewsWeWereZombies

Exactly, this is just the type of kick in the pants we need so that we can move to a barter system and pay for everything with cigarettes...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Cash out on 13:27 - Aug 2 with 3534 viewsN2_Blue

Cash out on 12:50 - Aug 2 by Ryorry

"The hardware is not expensive, a PDQ machine is less than £20 (so I was told by prospective employer a few years ago)"

"Quality of mobile phone or Wi-Fi signal can be improved with a little investment (jobs)"

We've been told that for the past 25 years, with no ensuing investment or improvement, so again, dream on.

Clearly there isn't a will in many places, so having made your same point several times, there's no need to keep banging on.

bit strong...he's only putting his viewpoint across after you asked him to respond and you bite his head off. Jeeze

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Cash out on 13:38 - Aug 2 with 3507 viewsRyorry

Cash out on 13:27 - Aug 2 by N2_Blue

bit strong...he's only putting his viewpoint across after you asked him to respond and you bite his head off. Jeeze

Well I'm sorry if it appeared to be a bit strong, I guess after a dozen people had given him their good reasons for retaining cash, & his response to that three times being "where there's a will there's a way" left me pretty irritated!

Cash out on 13:40 - Aug 2 with 3513 viewsKropotkin123

Thank you all for the replies.

I must admit, and as I've said to a couple of you in private, the OP was inspired by the article Bluefish linked. And I have been somewhat disingenuous in my motivations for writing the original post.

The people I associate with and I are in similar situations and cultural environments. Where largely we don't use cash unless we are forced to. So after reading the article of elder members of society being denied goods as simple as bread because they don't carry cards, I wanted to see how much push back there would be to a cashless society.

I do think that we will eventually get a cashless society, but I think it will be decades until cash is completely out.

I thought some of the reasoning and rationality for why it is still important and relevant interesting. And I found counter scenarios like the cards used at tuc shops equally so.

So, yeah, just wanted to say thanks, sorry and admit my motivations.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 13:41]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Cash out on 13:42 - Aug 2 with 3488 viewsRyorry

Cash out on 13:40 - Aug 2 by Kropotkin123

Thank you all for the replies.

I must admit, and as I've said to a couple of you in private, the OP was inspired by the article Bluefish linked. And I have been somewhat disingenuous in my motivations for writing the original post.

The people I associate with and I are in similar situations and cultural environments. Where largely we don't use cash unless we are forced to. So after reading the article of elder members of society being denied goods as simple as bread because they don't carry cards, I wanted to see how much push back there would be to a cashless society.

I do think that we will eventually get a cashless society, but I think it will be decades until cash is completely out.

I thought some of the reasoning and rationality for why it is still important and relevant interesting. And I found counter scenarios like the cards used at tuc shops equally so.

So, yeah, just wanted to say thanks, sorry and admit my motivations.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2020 13:41]

Haha, nice one, hats off to you! 👍

Cash out on 13:55 - Aug 2 with 3460 viewsFreddies_Ears

Cash out on 13:42 - Aug 2 by Ryorry

Haha, nice one, hats off to you! 👍

I have used cash precisely twice since mid-March. Once for a pub take-out, once at a Chinese. It seems easier to live without it!
Cash out on 13:56 - Aug 2 with 3461 viewsJ2BLUE

Cash out on 12:50 - Aug 2 by Ryorry

To be fair the hardware side of it isn't really an issue. PDQ machines are very cheap and would probably get even cheaper if we went cashless. Smartphones get better and cheaper by the year. You can now get a reasonable one with the ability to have google pay etc for £50. You can also get very cheap payment devices like Barclays Pingit which I believe they originally gave out for free to get people using their contactless platform.

Obviously wi-fi is different and I know the problems you've had.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Cash out on 13:56 - Aug 2 with 3458 viewsRyorry

Cash out on 13:23 - Aug 2 by WeWereZombies

Exactly, this is just the type of kick in the pants we need so that we can move to a barter system and pay for everything with cigarettes...

There is actually a barter system in place across many areas of the UK, called LETS - Local Exchange and Trading Schemes.

Basically, goods or services are themselves the units of currency, so, e.g., and English teacher might provide an hour of private tuition as a unit of currency, and swap that for an organic turkey reared by another member for Christmas.

That's just a simplified example, in reality the tution might be worth 10 units and the bird 8 units, but the + and - of your acount lies with the "bank".

Each area tends to call its units by names which identify with the local area, so e.g. in Ipswich they might be called 'Orwells'.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024