Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... 01:03 - Aug 20 with 8614 viewsBlueStreak

But since getting home I really cannot even begin to understand the odds of this happening.

Driving back from Southampton this morning, and looked left out the window and saw my dad (who works for a shipping company) driving a lorry in the next lane to me.

Now dad works all over the country on a 4 day on 4 day off pattern so wasnt even sure he was working but to be on the same meter of road at exactly the same time over two hours away from Ipswich has freaked me out a bit haha. Add to that I don't normally pay too much attention to who is driving lorries just makes it more odd.

Anyone else had really strange chance meeting like this before?
Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 11:09 - Aug 20 with 2770 viewsfactual_blue

We were at Heathrow, just arriving back from holiday. As we were looking for our taxi driver, we spotted my cousin's husband. We had a brief chat. I asked how the coach driving was going. Mark said he'd recently become a taxi driver, and was on a pickup.

We were his pick up.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 11:18 - Aug 20 with 2766 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I quite literally bumped into Shefki Kuqi full-on nude at Next Generation back in the day.

Will stay with me till' the day I die.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 11:19]

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 11:24 - Aug 20 with 2739 viewshoppy

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 11:18 - Aug 20 by ThisIsMyUsername

I quite literally bumped into Shefki Kuqi full-on nude at Next Generation back in the day.

Will stay with me till' the day I die.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 11:19]

I hope you didn't ask him to do his swan dive?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 11:28 - Aug 20 with 2730 viewsfactual_blue

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 10:14 - Aug 20 by PhilTWTD

I had once got on to the M25 and saw the chap who lived in the flat below me's distinctive camper van on the other carriageway.

A friend of mine was in Prague just as Eastern Europe opened up and someone tapped him on the shoulder and said, "Excuse me, do you work in the camera shop in Woodbridge?", which, of course, he did.

I did read a piece one about people bumping into friends on holiday like that and it suggested that it probably shouldn't be viewed as a surprise given people tend to gravitate to certain places on their holidays.

'in the flat below mine'.

[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 11:29]

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 11:29 - Aug 20 with 2723 viewshoppy

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 10:34 - Aug 20 by J2BLUE

For me or the goat?

The goat declined to comment. Either that, or didn't want to have to relive the experience to tell.

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 11:37 - Aug 20 with 2713 viewsbrazil1982

- Two weeks ago in a non-descript Welsh town with my girlfriend (visiting her family) waiting for our takeaway order, I said "Bet no-one from Ipswich has ever stood here" Two minutes later a bloke shows up at the top of that road wearing an Ipswich shirt.
Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 11:45 - Aug 20 with 2699 viewsRyorry

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 11:37 - Aug 20 by brazil1982

- Two weeks ago in a non-descript Welsh town with my girlfriend (visiting her family) waiting for our takeaway order, I said "Bet no-one from Ipswich has ever stood here" Two minutes later a bloke shows up at the top of that road wearing an Ipswich shirt.

Similar - lying down waiting to be seen in Glasgow airport's medical centre (waiting for change of flights) c. 1993, reading the 'Green 'Un - medic arrives to take my pulse etc - "oh, good to see a fellow Town fan in these parts"!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 12:16 - Aug 20 with 2684 viewsWarkystache

Having a bit of the other with a girl at uni in the early 1990's, I noticed she'd got a photo next to her bed, so idly had a quick look while she was asleep. I couldn't believe it when I saw she was standing next to one of my best friends from home, so asked her about it when she woke up. "Oh that was taken at my aunt's wedding somewhere in Essex" she said. "He's my cousin".

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Login to get fewer ads

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 12:52 - Aug 20 with 2652 viewsRyorry

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 12:16 - Aug 20 by Warkystache

Having a bit of the other with a girl at uni in the early 1990's, I noticed she'd got a photo next to her bed, so idly had a quick look while she was asleep. I couldn't believe it when I saw she was standing next to one of my best friends from home, so asked her about it when she woke up. "Oh that was taken at my aunt's wedding somewhere in Essex" she said. "He's my cousin".

Didn't realise you were from Norfolk

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 13:34 - Aug 20 with 2642 viewshoppy

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 11:28 - Aug 20 by factual_blue

'in the flat below mine'.

[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 11:29]

But you were happy to let "I did read a piece one" go?

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 13:50 - Aug 20 with 2634 viewsfactual_blue

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 13:34 - Aug 20 by hoppy

But you were happy to let "I did read a piece one" go?

I gave up in disgust after 'me's'.

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 13:53 - Aug 20 with 2625 viewshampstead_blue

Your chance meeting sounds wonderful. I'd be utterly made-up if that had happened to me.

If one of my son's had passed me I'd get dog's on the phone.

What a lovely coincidence.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 14:03 - Aug 20 with 2610 viewseastangliaisblue

Around 15 years ago I went to Peru, my first stop was Cusco. I was staying in a hostel, I walked into my dorm to be met by three Englishmen. I asked them where they were from, they were all from Norwich. I asked to move dorms.

Edit: The first bar I walked into in Cusco had a Norwich shirt on the wall, I couldn't believe it.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 14:07]
Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 15:24 - Aug 20 with 2550 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

A mate I worked with in the early 2000's had a neighbour from hell. A large middle aged bloke that was an absolute nutjob and Police were involved numerous times. He'd damaged his car, put a brick through his greenhouse and shouted at his girlfriend (but they only had a witness to confirm the latter, the other two he admitted to then denied when the cops turned up.

We'd witnessed him a few times going nuts when we'd been round playing on the PS2 or just having a few beers and even though there were a group of us none of us fancied confronting the guy.

Eventually they decided to move, reluctant to do so as they loved the house but this had gone on for 2-3 years. They sold it about 6 months later and I recall him often saying it was typical as since the For Sale sign went up they'd barely seen this bloke and sometimes wondered if he'd actually moved.

So they left Bramford and started their new life over The Crofts moving into their lovely new home and a couple of weeks later we'd been asked round for a moving in BBQ and were sat in the garden. Row of semi-detatched houses with those chest high wire fences and who was only two doors along kicking off about the noise as he sunbathed (calling The Fat Of The Land an irritating load of sh*te)

Turns out the reason he'd been barely been about those previous 6 months was that he spent most of his time with his new love interest who was their new neighbour!!! We were quite drunk and burst out laughing. His missus burst into tears and we all sobered up a bit quickly after that with respective tellings off from girlfriends.

Spoiler alert - This woman apparently got shot of him about a month later, which we like to believe was because she realised how mad he was following the new neighbours moving in who they'd previously had pleasant exchanges with. Whilst I appreciate now how horrible and stressful it was, as 20 somethings at work we hoped at the time it had lasted a bit longer.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 15:27]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 17:02 - Aug 20 with 2514 viewsfarkenhell

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 01:36 - Aug 20 by jeera

Again, not the same thing but whilst we're here:

I was wandering down a street in some small place in Australia with a mate of mine when we bumped into some customers of his from Haverhill market.

One occasion a cousin of mine was on holiday somewhere in the Canaries with his wife, they went on a day boat excursion and found themselves sitting down next to the Town & Car Parks Manager [from Bury St Ed] and his wife.

Must be something about Oz.

In a gap year after Uni, I lived and worked in Perth for a couple of months. One day after work, I missed my normal train home and the next one didn't stop at my usual station, so had to get off at the stop after that. To cheer myself up before the longer-than-usual walk home, I queued at the station's kiosk for some refreshments. A minute or so later, felt a sharp pain in the middle of my back. Turned round with clenched fists, only to see two Uni mates with girlfriends, grinning from ear to ear. Turned out that they were backpacking around the world, including a very brief 2 days in Perth.
Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 17:16 - Aug 20 with 2502 viewsfarkenhell

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 17:02 - Aug 20 by farkenhell

Must be something about Oz.

In a gap year after Uni, I lived and worked in Perth for a couple of months. One day after work, I missed my normal train home and the next one didn't stop at my usual station, so had to get off at the stop after that. To cheer myself up before the longer-than-usual walk home, I queued at the station's kiosk for some refreshments. A minute or so later, felt a sharp pain in the middle of my back. Turned round with clenched fists, only to see two Uni mates with girlfriends, grinning from ear to ear. Turned out that they were backpacking around the world, including a very brief 2 days in Perth.

...and later during that same trip to Oz, I happened to climb Ayres Rock. When you get to the top, you can fill in your name and address in a book. Mine was the first entry at the top of a new page on the right-hand side. As I started to write, I happened to glance at the corresponding entry at the top of the left-hand side. The address was a small village about 5 miles from the equally small village where I lived at the time.
Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 17:35 - Aug 20 with 2477 viewsLRB84UK

My weirdest day was wembley in the playoffs.

There was a large group of us going, mainly from Ipswich but 1 of the group was from Cardiff but was at uni in Portsmouth at the time. I had his ticket and had arranged to meet him at Wembley at whatever time. Obviously this was before many had mobile phones. Me and the group I was with went to get the tube at which ever station we were at, the doors opened and there he stood! Of all the routes, of all the trains and all the doors and he was the other side!

It gets stranger, as a ST holder his ticket was purchased in person (by us) on the 1st day of ST release. His brother who was still in Wales phoned up on the off chance on the last day of general sale and managed to get a ticket.... they were sat next to each other! VERY strange day!
Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 20:40 - Aug 20 with 2423 viewsjeera

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 02:33 - Aug 20 by acj

Totally different, but another one I reckon would’ve had some crazy long odds.

Was in the middle of one of the big blocos at Rio carnaval in 2017 (about 40000 people at basically a samba street party) and I bumped into a girl from Turkey that I’d met in Amsterdam a couple of years earlier. Her and her mates partied with us for the rest of the week, was a right laugh!

Blimey, that took some doing.

I went to Thailand many moons ago alone but ended up spending 3 weeks with a chap I pretty bumped into on the first day.

A year or so later I was in a queue for some rave in Cambridge and he was standing there also in the queue. Hadn't seen nor heard from him in between nor since and yet there we were.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 21:30 - Aug 20 with 2398 viewswerringtonblue

Holiday in Cyprus (Protarus) years ago - was walking with wife and two sons to dinner. Me and eldest were suddenly alone - 50 yards behind us was my wife and youngest speaking to a couple and their daughter... my youngest's classmate. We spent the rest of the holiday with them - other mum liked to get her boobs out and I had to remind her when we got home that I did not recognise her with her clothes on.

Turns out a former boss was in the same resort at the same time..... but only found out a month or so after getting home.

Earlier than that, on holiday in Minorca, my youngest, who we had sight of all the time, came running to us by the pool - "my mate is having a holiday here too" - family from school run were on sun beds 10 yards from us. That couple split up years after and the husband is now married to my wife's best friend.
Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 21:34 - Aug 20 with 2393 viewsacj

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 20:40 - Aug 20 by jeera

Blimey, that took some doing.

I went to Thailand many moons ago alone but ended up spending 3 weeks with a chap I pretty bumped into on the first day.

A year or so later I was in a queue for some rave in Cambridge and he was standing there also in the queue. Hadn't seen nor heard from him in between nor since and yet there we were.

Funny how you link up with people and knock about with them for a while if you’re travelling ‘alone’. The first time I came to South America it was on a solo trip but I only ever ended up being on my own for the odd bus ride, found loads of people along the way that I then spent a few weeks with.

Poll: Will Town score again this season?

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 21:42 - Aug 20 with 2379 viewsClapham_Junction

Years ago I had a holiday in Greenland and was staying at a tiny hostel near an airport in the middle of nowhere on my last night. There was a small bookcase in the common area and I noticed it had a Hebrew book in it. I opened it and discovered the people who left it there had written their names and where they lived in the book - it was the parents of one of my ex-girlfriends.
Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 21:55 - Aug 20 with 2365 viewsjeera

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 21:34 - Aug 20 by acj

Funny how you link up with people and knock about with them for a while if you’re travelling ‘alone’. The first time I came to South America it was on a solo trip but I only ever ended up being on my own for the odd bus ride, found loads of people along the way that I then spent a few weeks with.

It tends to work because there's no pressure is there?

You are each free to leave and go your separate ways at any time so there's no awkwardness if someone wants to do their own thing whenever they like.

For me, it's definitely the way to do it.

Like you say, you're only alone as much as you want to be.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 23:45 - Aug 20 with 2314 viewsBluespeed225

1991, i was just outside Scarborough to collect some scooter parts, thought i'd pop into Scarb' for something to eat, so had lunch in a cafe, walk along the seafront, bump into my cousin, the DF. he was visiting some bird in Middlesborough, she suggested Scarbo' for a day out! As Harry Hill might say, 'What are the chances of that happening?'..
Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 07:22 - Aug 21 with 2266 viewshype313

Whilst having a lovely leisurely breakfast one weekend at a cafe on the A12 I found myself sat next to the illustrious editor of TWTD, who was refereeing an argument between Dolly and Glassers, whilst wading through a farmers breakfast.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 08:10 - Aug 21 with 2239 viewsTangledupin_Blue

A friend and I returned (to Felixstowe) from a holiday in Scotland. The next day, a Sunday, we went for a lunchtime drink. Another regular at the same pub wandered over and said "I saw you two on Wednesday". We explained that he couldn't have seen us as we were on Isle of Skye that day. "Yes" he said, "I was driving in Portree and saw you go into a shop. By the time I parked and looked for you, you'd gone".

And years ago my dad, also a lorry driver based in Felixstowe, was in a works canteen in Widnes. My cousin, a service technician living in and working from Oldham, walked into the same canteen and sat next to him.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024