Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? 00:29 - Sep 18 with 4486 viewspatrickswell

And if so, did he withdraw his interest a la Lampard or did Evans not consider him.
Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 02:32 - Sep 18 with 3830 viewsJ2BLUE

He was interviewed but wasn't in the final four candidates. I *think* Phil posted it was Potter, Hurst, Lampard and Ross who were the final four.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 07:53 - Sep 18 with 3672 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 02:32 - Sep 18 by J2BLUE

He was interviewed but wasn't in the final four candidates. I *think* Phil posted it was Potter, Hurst, Lampard and Ross who were the final four.

Yes, that's right. Parker was interviewed but didn't make the shortlist.
Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 08:08 - Sep 18 with 3631 viewsMetal_Hacker

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 07:53 - Sep 18 by PhilTWTD

Bet he was gutted

Poll: If it were one or the other

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 08:13 - Sep 18 with 3621 viewscatch74

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 08:08 - Sep 18 by Metal_Hacker

Bet he was gutted

There must have been an element of satisfaction, bringing his newly promoted team full of internationals to L1 Ipswich. ‘Didn’t make the cut’ = asked for guarantees of backing. Understand Evans position but he’s definitely done something wrong in another life to get such bad luck on recruitment.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 08:17 - Sep 18 with 3605 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 08:13 - Sep 18 by catch74

There must have been an element of satisfaction, bringing his newly promoted team full of internationals to L1 Ipswich. ‘Didn’t make the cut’ = asked for guarantees of backing. Understand Evans position but he’s definitely done something wrong in another life to get such bad luck on recruitment.

He's done a good job, but getting one of the most expensive squad in the league with the best striker in the league is a much different job to the one he applied for with Ipswich.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 08:24 - Sep 18 with 3578 viewsMetal_Hacker

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 08:17 - Sep 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

He's done a good job, but getting one of the most expensive squad in the league with the best striker in the league is a much different job to the one he applied for with Ipswich.

I guess so but with hindsight , Hurst or Parker ? I know which I'd have

Poll: If it were one or the other

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 09:18 - Sep 18 with 3467 viewspatrickswell

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 08:24 - Sep 18 by Metal_Hacker

Based on their managerial achievements in 2018 - Hurst would have stood out a mile above everyone with the possible exception of Graham Potter.

The ultimate difference being that Hurst appears to have been the only one who walked into his new job and thought “Confrontation - that’s the way to present myself to everyone here.”
Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 09:24 - Sep 18 with 3437 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 09:18 - Sep 18 by patrickswell

Based on their managerial achievements in 2018 - Hurst would have stood out a mile above everyone with the possible exception of Graham Potter.

The ultimate difference being that Hurst appears to have been the only one who walked into his new job and thought “Confrontation - that’s the way to present myself to everyone here.”

You say that but surely in interview Evans would’ve asked Hurst for his plans for the club. When hurst then turns round and says he has a plan to remove our top four scorers from the season before and replace them with lower league players with no championship experience, why the f**k did Evans think that was a good idea and employ him.

It’s as if he didn’t even ask the question..

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Login to get fewer ads

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 09:34 - Sep 18 with 3412 viewsKeno

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 09:24 - Sep 18 by The_Romford_Blue

You say that but surely in interview Evans would’ve asked Hurst for his plans for the club. When hurst then turns round and says he has a plan to remove our top four scorers from the season before and replace them with lower league players with no championship experience, why the f**k did Evans think that was a good idea and employ him.

My son is a Liverpool fan and likes to play a variation of Football Manager where he manages Man U and sees how quickly he can ruin them but selling the best players, buying crap ones and basically playing crap formations etc

Its an tho Hurst was doing that in real life

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 09:40 - Sep 18 with 3398 viewspatrickswell

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 09:24 - Sep 18 by The_Romford_Blue

I think there’s two possibilities.

1) Hurst lied to him. He seemed to have a real chip on his shoulder about young players thinking they had made it too soon or not being able to shout at them. What happened to “nurture” Paul? Our two best managers of the last 50 years built their success on encouraging young players rather than belabouring them.

2) The four top scorers thing is a bit of a misnomer. He had no say over Celina and while McGoldrick May have signed a new contract if it was offered, I think the club chose to cut ts losses bearing in mind his injury record. I feel sure that Waghorn and Garner asked for moves both for their own reasons, but also having seen Hurst operate they probably thought, “Nah, you’re an idiot”. The signings Hurst made would have made sense to him in that he probably felt he had greater control and authority over them as they were his signings. But they needed help from the senior pros and that may not have been forthcoming given how much of a battering Hurst was giving them seemingly for having had the temerity to be at the club before him.
Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 09:42 - Sep 18 with 3382 viewsITFC_Forever

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 09:40 - Sep 18 by patrickswell

I think there’s two possibilities.

1) Hurst lied to him. He seemed to have a real chip on his shoulder about young players thinking they had made it too soon or not being able to shout at them. What happened to “nurture” Paul? Our two best managers of the last 50 years built their success on encouraging young players rather than belabouring them.

2) The four top scorers thing is a bit of a misnomer. He had no say over Celina and while McGoldrick May have signed a new contract if it was offered, I think the club chose to cut ts losses bearing in mind his injury record. I feel sure that Waghorn and Garner asked for moves both for their own reasons, but also having seen Hurst operate they probably thought, “Nah, you’re an idiot”. The signings Hurst made would have made sense to him in that he probably felt he had greater control and authority over them as they were his signings. But they needed help from the senior pros and that may not have been forthcoming given how much of a battering Hurst was giving them seemingly for having had the temerity to be at the club before him.

McG would have not signed another new contract no matter what.

As for Waghorn and Garner, I think you're right... they saw Hurst in action and got out while they could.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 10:00 - Sep 18 with 3337 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 08:24 - Sep 18 by Metal_Hacker

Unfortunately you can't have the benefit of hindsight when you are in the situation.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 10:15 - Sep 18 with 3297 viewshampstead_blue

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 07:53 - Sep 18 by PhilTWTD

and of that list of 4, was Hurst the first one offered or did the the others pull out?

If Hurst was ME's first choice then I am going to take a very long gym session

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 10:18 - Sep 18 with 3287 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Who knows.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 10:28 - Sep 18 with 3251 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 10:15 - Sep 18 by hampstead_blue

and of that list of 4, was Hurst the first one offered or did the the others pull out?

If Hurst was ME's first choice then I am going to take a very long gym session

Not sure on Potter, but I think the expectations in terms of staffing numbers and finance were different with Lampard so that ended and Ross got the Sunderland job while Town were waiting to formally speak to Hurst, who I think was always the one favoured by ME.
Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 10:31 - Sep 18 with 3234 viewsclive_baker

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 08:17 - Sep 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Quite right. It's easy in hindsight to look back with regret but at the time Parker had zero managerial experience, and Hurst had come off the back of an excellent season with Shrewsbury and had a good CV.

Parker lived in Putney area anyway, was given loads of cash and already had the basis of a very good squad at Championship level. Everything about him going to Fulham just worked. There's nothing to say he would've definitely flopped here and no doubt couldn't have done worse than Hurst, but I think it's premature to say he's one that really got away.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 10:48 - Sep 18 with 3187 viewsHerbivore

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 10:31 - Sep 18 by clive_baker

Quite right. It's easy in hindsight to look back with regret but at the time Parker had zero managerial experience, and Hurst had come off the back of an excellent season with Shrewsbury and had a good CV.

Parker lived in Putney area anyway, was given loads of cash and already had the basis of a very good squad at Championship level. Everything about him going to Fulham just worked. There's nothing to say he would've definitely flopped here and no doubt couldn't have done worse than Hurst, but I think it's premature to say he's one that really got away.

Same with Lampard really. He did a decent job at Derby but had serious money to spend, we wouldn't have even been able to afford some of the loanees he brought in there. Taking them to the play offs was about par given their level of investment. What he could have done here with no money to spend is another matter entirely. Maybe he'd have integrated the yoots and got us playing lovely football, maybe we'd still have massively struggled.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 10:55 - Sep 18 with 3171 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 10:48 - Sep 18 by Herbivore

Same with Lampard really. He did a decent job at Derby but had serious money to spend, we wouldn't have even been able to afford some of the loanees he brought in there. Taking them to the play offs was about par given their level of investment. What he could have done here with no money to spend is another matter entirely. Maybe he'd have integrated the yoots and got us playing lovely football, maybe we'd still have massively struggled.

We'd have been fine with anybody other than Hurst. Lampard wouldn't have sold Waghorn for example and the players would have massively respected having him at the club. Could have been a very different story.

We wouldn't have spent the money he did at Derby but I expect we'd have brought in a much better calibre of player than Hurst did!
[Post edited 18 Sep 2020 10:56]
Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 10:57 - Sep 18 with 3162 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Wrong thread!
[Post edited 18 Sep 2020 12:01]
Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 11:03 - Sep 18 with 3152 viewsHerbivore

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 10:55 - Sep 18 by PrideOfTheEast

We'd have been fine with anybody other than Hurst. Lampard wouldn't have sold Waghorn for example and the players would have massively respected having him at the club. Could have been a very different story.

We wouldn't have spent the money he did at Derby but I expect we'd have brought in a much better calibre of player than Hurst did!
[Post edited 18 Sep 2020 10:56]

Hurst was only able to bring the players in that he did because he sold the likes of Webster and Waghorn. How would we have signed a better calibre of player whilst not selling anyone? Sorry buddy, but that's highly speculative. I doubt Lampard could have done any worse than Hurst of course but quite what he could have achieved and whether it would have been enough to land him the Chelsea job is a different story.

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 11:10 - Sep 18 with 3133 viewsbournemouthblue

I'll replace the few remaining positives we have in this side, selling them for under market value in the process and securing some Lower League hopefuls and Premier League under 19's to build a new side with

What can possibly go wrong?

Everything Paul, literally everything!

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 12:09 - Sep 18 with 3077 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 11:03 - Sep 18 by Herbivore

Hurst was only able to bring the players in that he did because he sold the likes of Webster and Waghorn. How would we have signed a better calibre of player whilst not selling anyone? Sorry buddy, but that's highly speculative. I doubt Lampard could have done any worse than Hurst of course but quite what he could have achieved and whether it would have been enough to land him the Chelsea job is a different story.

We didn't need much to make that squad capable of competing for the top 6. The core of the squad was good until we sold those players, replaced them with players of inferior quality, and completely lost morale.

My point is I don't believe anybody in the running other than Hurst would not have said to Marcus, I'll sell our best players (Webster, Waghorn for example) and use a chunk of the money to buy a bunch of lower league players. That is me speculating, I agree, but I'm not sure anybody has ever done that to the extent Hurst did here. It should never have been allowed to happen.

And he'd have had a small amount of money avaialble to loan to supplement the squad, in the same way we got Chalobah and of course Celina and Lawrence previously.
Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 12:26 - Sep 18 with 3037 viewsITFC_Forever

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 12:09 - Sep 18 by PrideOfTheEast

We didn't need much to make that squad capable of competing for the top 6. The core of the squad was good until we sold those players, replaced them with players of inferior quality, and completely lost morale.

My point is I don't believe anybody in the running other than Hurst would not have said to Marcus, I'll sell our best players (Webster, Waghorn for example) and use a chunk of the money to buy a bunch of lower league players. That is me speculating, I agree, but I'm not sure anybody has ever done that to the extent Hurst did here. It should never have been allowed to happen.

And he'd have had a small amount of money avaialble to loan to supplement the squad, in the same way we got Chalobah and of course Celina and Lawrence previously.

It's pretty clear that Hurst was told by ME that there wasn't much of a budget, but if we sold anyone, he would get a proportion of that money to improve the squad, hence why we sold Webster so early.

Garner and Waghorn were not daft, they could see how the Hurst regime was going to be and got out as soon as they could.

Hurst did an unbelievable amount of damage in such a short time. I dislike him more than Keane and Jewell.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 12:27 - Sep 18 with 3034 viewscatch74

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 11:03 - Sep 18 by Herbivore

Might have had Mount and Tomori on loan here, even Ashley Cole!

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 12:33 - Sep 18 with 3022 viewsHerbivore

Phil? Did Scott Parker ever get interviewed for the manager’s job in 2018? on 12:27 - Sep 18 by catch74

Might have had Mount and Tomori on loan here, even Ashley Cole!

Doubtful, there's a reason we got someone like Chalobah who is miles down the pecking order. I bet those two cost a fair whack.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024