Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Depressing 10:57 - Oct 10 with 13087 viewsDarth_Koont

If you can’t get yourself ahead of the Tories on current showing then something’s not right, is it?

Pronouns: He/Him

Depressing on 23:18 - Oct 10 with 1089 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Depressing on 20:32 - Oct 10 by tractordownsouth

So, long story short, you're fine with politicians breaking the law and subverting democracy as long as said politician is wearing a blue rosette?

Aren't you a fanboy of Tony Blair?

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Depressing on 00:57 - Oct 11 with 1050 viewsSpruceMoose

Depressing on 23:18 - Oct 10 by The_Last_Baron

People like you don't want genuine discussion, you don't want to see proof or evidence, you just want to frustrate people into sinking to your level and playing your games.

That's why I just don't engage, instead I just call someone like that a seepy dong end and move on.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 2:00]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Depressing on 09:19 - Oct 11 with 958 viewstractordownsouth

Depressing on 23:18 - Oct 10 by The_Last_Baron

Blair's policy record was largely positive, but I think the way the Iraq War was handled was awful and should've only have been done with clear UN approval.

See, it's not that hard to criticise your own side.

Now you have a go.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Depressing on 09:34 - Oct 11 with 947 views26_Paz

If Sir Kier Starmer comes out against increased corona restrictions I will support Labour!

The Paz Man

Depressing on 09:56 - Oct 11 with 934 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Depressing on 20:29 - Oct 10 by hampstead_blue

Sorry for being busy.
Next time I will be more mindful to your time.

What do I think of your post? I think when you look at the way that the former speaker abused his position to frustrate the government then I think BJ flipped it back and said 'up yours we are going to get this done'.

I voted for the Government. What they do with the authority given is out of my hands until the next ge.

How the Gov get's it's business done is beyond my level of knowledge. We didn't cover the UK constitutional law at Hedingham Comp, nor have I studied it since.
~
You clearly have an argument against the way the Government is getting it's business done. I'll vote for the Tories at the next ge as there is no serious opposition.

I'm sorry if my reply isn't a deep political essay on the law.

Thank you for your reply. I understand that everyone has a life outside of TWTD, but as threads go to multiple pages it is sometimes necessary to point out comments or questions on earlier pages.

Your post was about debate being shut down on a message board. Mine was an invitation to debate, and a comment on the way in which Johnson as Prime Minister has shut down not just debate but Parliament itself, and now judicial scrutiny.

I didn't study Law, either. But there are plenty of mid length articles about what Johnson is doing. A retired Supreme Court Judge wrote this week about his deep concerns over the way in which current legislation is seeking to remove judicial oversight. Anybody who cares about this country needs to read and understand this.

I'm not a Tory, but there are some Tories who I have a degree of respect for. When someone like Rory Stewart is drummed out of Parliament for not being a Johnson True Believer then every Tory voter needs to question a leader who fears competent and intelligent voices on his own side.

It's too late once the laws are passed which say we can not criticise the Government any more. They are in the process of passing Laws which say that Judges won't be able to ensure that their decisions are consistent with the Law. And, obviously, we no longer have the safety net of the European Court of Human Rights.

Johnson's direction of travel this year has been more akin to ErdoÄŸan in Turkey, who has transformed a relatively liberal democracy into a strongman fiefdom, than having any continuity with Macmillan, Heath, Thatcher or Major.

Thatcher would have kicked him out the first time he pulled the "ruffles hair, I haven't done my homework because only swots do homework" manoeuvre as a Junior Minister, and he would never have been allowed to come back.

It's just as much a personality cult as Corbynism ever was, but with real power and no respect for the checks and balances essential to good governance in a country with no written Constitution.

I'm not sure if it is a good or bad thing that, having purged competent politicians like Stewart or Javid, they are utterly incompetent.
Depressing on 10:03 - Oct 11 with 926 viewsDarth_Koont

Depressing on 09:56 - Oct 11 by ArnoldMoorhen

Thank you for your reply. I understand that everyone has a life outside of TWTD, but as threads go to multiple pages it is sometimes necessary to point out comments or questions on earlier pages.

Your post was about debate being shut down on a message board. Mine was an invitation to debate, and a comment on the way in which Johnson as Prime Minister has shut down not just debate but Parliament itself, and now judicial scrutiny.

I didn't study Law, either. But there are plenty of mid length articles about what Johnson is doing. A retired Supreme Court Judge wrote this week about his deep concerns over the way in which current legislation is seeking to remove judicial oversight. Anybody who cares about this country needs to read and understand this.

I'm not a Tory, but there are some Tories who I have a degree of respect for. When someone like Rory Stewart is drummed out of Parliament for not being a Johnson True Believer then every Tory voter needs to question a leader who fears competent and intelligent voices on his own side.

It's too late once the laws are passed which say we can not criticise the Government any more. They are in the process of passing Laws which say that Judges won't be able to ensure that their decisions are consistent with the Law. And, obviously, we no longer have the safety net of the European Court of Human Rights.

Johnson's direction of travel this year has been more akin to ErdoÄŸan in Turkey, who has transformed a relatively liberal democracy into a strongman fiefdom, than having any continuity with Macmillan, Heath, Thatcher or Major.

Thatcher would have kicked him out the first time he pulled the "ruffles hair, I haven't done my homework because only swots do homework" manoeuvre as a Junior Minister, and he would never have been allowed to come back.

It's just as much a personality cult as Corbynism ever was, but with real power and no respect for the checks and balances essential to good governance in a country with no written Constitution.

I'm not sure if it is a good or bad thing that, having purged competent politicians like Stewart or Javid, they are utterly incompetent.

Spot on.

Although just want to point out that Corbynism is a policy cult not a personality cult. Even Corbyn’s greatest fans would probably argue that he could have done better projecting his personality.

Pronouns: He/Him

Depressing on 10:09 - Oct 11 with 921 viewsm14_blue

Great post
Depressing on 10:52 - Oct 11 with 892 viewsHerbivore

Depressing on 09:34 - Oct 11 by 26_Paz

If Sir Kier Starmer comes out against increased corona restrictions I will support Labour!

Have you ever thought about voting for a party based in their manifesto and overall vision for the country rather than on whether they support whichever single issue you've decided is important to you right now?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Depressing on 10:58 - Oct 11 with 886 viewshampstead_blue

Interesting post. Thank-you.

If there are any links you have to said articles please share. I'm interested in learning more.
Turkey is not the path to follow.

For the record I wanted Hunt for the Tory leadership and I sit slightly to the left in the Tory party. I'm not the rabid nut job some like to draw.

I do look forward to seeing the links but will also dig around myself.

Thanks again.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Depressing on 11:01 - Oct 11 with 884 viewshampstead_blue

Depressing on 00:57 - Oct 11 by SpruceMoose

People like you don't want genuine discussion, you don't want to see proof or evidence, you just want to frustrate people into sinking to your level and playing your games.

That's why I just don't engage, instead I just call someone like that a seepy dong end and move on.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 2:00]

and Sir, people like you simply throw abuse at anything they do not like.

Not once have I seen you post anything of substance. Not once. It's always the negative which, as my Father would say, is wrong.

Blair is a war criminal and should be in prison. He is more interested in his own self promotion and wealth than social justice.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Depressing on 11:12 - Oct 11 with 878 viewspointofblue

Depressing on 11:01 - Oct 11 by hampstead_blue

Not once have I seen you post anything of substance. Not once. It's always the negative which, as my Father would say, is wrong.

Blair is a war criminal and should be in prison. He is more interested in his own self promotion and wealth than social justice.

Though this is going off topic but Blair has caused many of the issues which we see today - the increase in terrorist threat comes from the decision to complete destabilise Afghanistan and Iraq without a workable plan in place to avoid a power vacuum. The choice to sell the gold reserves, albeit possibly one where the final decision was taken by Brown, left us in a weaker position when the global crash hit. I’d argue the denigration of immigrants and asylum seekers in the press started during his time as Prime Minister and the government did very little to try and change the narrative or educate, which allowed the extreme right to build momentum behind the ‘cause’.

This government is the result of this festering misguided resentment and dog whistling from the mid 00s which has finally come to a head. It is becoming a Trump like cult and those who now feel like they have a platform to express their darker views will not go away quietly - especially when comments from the likes of Johnson and Patel are going almost unchallenged even by the opposition. (ETA - apologies, thought I was on a different thread with that final remark)
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 11:12]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Depressing on 11:19 - Oct 11 with 871 viewseireblue

Of course equating “the left” to genocidal monsters, is not abuse, nor is some of the language you use towards a teenage girl, who will do more for the most important challenge the world faces, than you will, is negative.
Depressing on 11:44 - Oct 11 with 862 views26_Paz

Depressing on 10:52 - Oct 11 by Herbivore

Have you ever thought about voting for a party based in their manifesto and overall vision for the country rather than on whether they support whichever single issue you've decided is important to you right now?

Imagine supporting the party that best represent you on the big issues of the day, disgraceful.

The Paz Man

Depressing on 11:53 - Oct 11 with 847 viewstractordownsouth

Depressing on 11:12 - Oct 11 by pointofblue

Though this is going off topic but Blair has caused many of the issues which we see today - the increase in terrorist threat comes from the decision to complete destabilise Afghanistan and Iraq without a workable plan in place to avoid a power vacuum. The choice to sell the gold reserves, albeit possibly one where the final decision was taken by Brown, left us in a weaker position when the global crash hit. I’d argue the denigration of immigrants and asylum seekers in the press started during his time as Prime Minister and the government did very little to try and change the narrative or educate, which allowed the extreme right to build momentum behind the ‘cause’.

This government is the result of this festering misguided resentment and dog whistling from the mid 00s which has finally come to a head. It is becoming a Trump like cult and those who now feel like they have a platform to express their darker views will not go away quietly - especially when comments from the likes of Johnson and Patel are going almost unchallenged even by the opposition. (ETA - apologies, thought I was on a different thread with that final remark)
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 11:12]

The gold reserves thing is one of the biggest myths of recent political history. Sure, it was a poor decision, but the idea it left us unable to deal with the crash is nonsense. Estimates are that it cost between 10bn and 15bn.

For context, that's roughly the same as what Johnson and Hancock just spent on an Excel spreadsheet, and about 6 or 7 times less than the hit to our economy caused by Johnson's Brexit deal, according to the treasury's analysis.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Depressing on 12:56 - Oct 11 with 816 viewspointofblue

Depressing on 11:53 - Oct 11 by tractordownsouth

The gold reserves thing is one of the biggest myths of recent political history. Sure, it was a poor decision, but the idea it left us unable to deal with the crash is nonsense. Estimates are that it cost between 10bn and 15bn.

For context, that's roughly the same as what Johnson and Hancock just spent on an Excel spreadsheet, and about 6 or 7 times less than the hit to our economy caused by Johnson's Brexit deal, according to the treasury's analysis.

Interesting, thanks for that - so it would have helped, minimally, but hardly a solution.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Depressing on 13:12 - Oct 11 with 805 viewsSpruceMoose

Tell it to the politicians you'd like to see harmed.

You're a morally and intellectually bankrupt fraud.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2020 13:14]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Depressing on 14:31 - Oct 11 with 765 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Depressing on 10:58 - Oct 11 by hampstead_blue

Interesting post. Thank-you.

If there are any links you have to said articles please share. I'm interested in learning more.
Turkey is not the path to follow.

For the record I wanted Hunt for the Tory leadership and I sit slightly to the left in the Tory party. I'm not the rabid nut job some like to draw.

I do look forward to seeing the links but will also dig around myself.

Thanks again.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/28/ex-lord-chief-justice-uk-parliamen

Following on from:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/20/parliament-surrendered-role-over-c

And going on in the background is this review into the whole concept and terms of reference of Judicial Review, the means by which Government decisions can be overseen to make sure that they are legal:

Here's the Government website explaining that:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-launches-independent-panel-to-look

And, for balance, here is a hot take:

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/judicial-review-panel-reforms-domini

Add in the Priti Patel comments, and the terror attack on a solicitor's office:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/10/lawyers-claim-knife-attack-at-l

Now add it all up, along with suspending people like Dominic Grieve or deselecting Rory Stewart:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-49579050

And tell me that this isn't a Government which is going far past all norms of expected behaviour to marginalise, neuter or destroy any forms of dissent or opposition. Thatcher would hate this. John Major has, in his very mild careful way, already said that he does:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-30951775.html

and more recently over Boris breaking international law to get Brexit done:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/former-pms-tony-blair-john-22672999

It all adds up.

The evidence is all there, but it is really boring stuff, mostly. So boring people talk about it in boring ways.

And while they are neatly cutting off all forms of resistance, they are ramming through stuff like this in plain sight:

This is Banana Republic stuff. This is what Britain has become.

Thatcher would have hated this. Major does. So does Rory Stewart.

So should any true One Nation Conservative.

Whose side are you on, Hampstead?
Depressing on 15:47 - Oct 11 with 732 viewsHerbivore

Depressing on 11:44 - Oct 11 by 26_Paz

Imagine supporting the party that best represent you on the big issues of the day, disgraceful.

You'd vote for Hitler if he said he'd knock £50 a year off your tax bill.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Depressing on 17:13 - Oct 11 with 701 viewsmonytowbray

Depressing on 12:05 - Oct 10 by noggin

There will be no reaction until the reality of brexit dawn on those who ignorantly voted for it through the GE.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2020 12:05]

Hopefully.

So far Starmer’s impressed me about as much as most rich men in suits seem to impress me.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024