Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oldest team in the league 12:32 - Nov 15 with 13469 viewsdingus

Oldest team in the league on 09:00 - Nov 17 with 1018 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Oldest team in the league on 08:46 - Nov 17 by The_Flashing_Smile

Which are the quality young players who have been signed by other teams in this league and would walk straight into our first team?

As has been explained to you a few times, we spent £0.5m on KVY. That's what young quality costs at this level. We don't have anymore money for signings like that.

That’s not really true. The joint 2nd top scorer in the league is a 24 year old forward signed by Fleetwood on a free this Summer

Similarly Hull’s top scorer with one goal less is a 21 year old again signed on a free. Their right back is also a year younger than KVY and was signed on a free. They sit above us in the table

That’s just off the top of my head - there will be plenty of other options out there. The reality is that we signed older players as they’re who the manager chose to put his faith in

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Oldest team in the league on 09:05 - Nov 17 with 1026 viewsHerbivore

Oldest team in the league on 09:00 - Nov 17 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That’s not really true. The joint 2nd top scorer in the league is a 24 year old forward signed by Fleetwood on a free this Summer

Similarly Hull’s top scorer with one goal less is a 21 year old again signed on a free. Their right back is also a year younger than KVY and was signed on a free. They sit above us in the table

That’s just off the top of my head - there will be plenty of other options out there. The reality is that we signed older players as they’re who the manager chose to put his faith in

Yep, precisely this. Barely any money gets spent on fees at this level, you get the odd fee spent but it's the exception rather than the norm. Other sides are managing to bring in players in their early to mid 20s on free transfers and these players are getting game time and doing well. I'm not sure why that strategy becomes impossible when it comes to us and the only two choices we have are to spend money or sign older players. Perhaps different rules apply to Ipswich.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Oldest team in the league on 09:16 - Nov 17 with 1008 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Thanks. Interesting. Obviously there are deals to be had (Mick signed Mings, for example). But generally to get the better quality youngsters you have to pay for them. If a youngster's really good he's less likely to be free, I'd have thought.

I'd be interested to know where the players you mention came from and what the circumstances were behind their signing.

It could be our scouting isn't very good. And it could equally be that Lambert's less keen on signing promising youngsters - I'll concede that if it's proven to be the case. My only point in regard to this thread is he hasn't deliberately picked the oldest team in the league. Our first team would be much younger if everyone was available. In reality we're not particularly an old OR young team. We're a blend of youth and experience.

There are many things to have a pop at Lambert about but I don't really see much wrong with the team age-wise. Our oldest player, Ward, I think everyone was happy with, and Dobra's the only young player I can think of who isn't playing as much as he should to my mind.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2020 9:19]

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Lambert out. (n/t) on 09:22 - Nov 17 with 993 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Oldest team in the league on 09:24 - Nov 17 with 987 viewshaynes_toe1

Oldest team in the league on 08:08 - Nov 17 by Herbivore

Lambert's signings have helped bolster that late 20s/early 30s demographic in the sqaud and it's hard to se how we end up making any money on any of them, KVY aside, if he ever gets fit. Here's the permanent signings made by Lambert and their current age:

Judge - 32
Norwood - 30
Holy - 28
Wilson - 31
KVY - 24
Hawkins - 28
Cornell - 29
Ward - 35

So the average age of players Lambert has signed for the first team squad is 29.6. I know some will claim all sorts of mitigation, that it is impossible to sign players younger than those we signed with no budget (even though other sides at this level do it all the time) but it doesn't really smack of someone who is putting the building blocks in place for the future in how they are putting a squad together. And it's not like they've all been resounding short term successes either.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2020 8:37]

And partially in Lamberts defence, you could accept those signings had we stormed the league last season - short term vision in signings is fine if it delivers short term success. That we've signed ageing players and not performed on the pitch makes it that much more frustrating. Rather than sign 6 old players i'd have rather we tried with 2 younger players with a bit of potential.
Oldest team in the league on 09:30 - Nov 17 with 979 viewsHerbivore

Oldest team in the league on 09:24 - Nov 17 by haynes_toe1

And partially in Lamberts defence, you could accept those signings had we stormed the league last season - short term vision in signings is fine if it delivers short term success. That we've signed ageing players and not performed on the pitch makes it that much more frustrating. Rather than sign 6 old players i'd have rather we tried with 2 younger players with a bit of potential.

Quite. Ward looks like he'll hopefully be decent but is the very definition of a short term fix and I'd be surprised if we're not in a position where we need to sign a new left back next summer. Holy has done okay, decent enough League 1 goalie. The others are different shades of mediocre.

Oldest team in the league on 11:18 - Nov 17 with 939 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Oldest team in the league on 09:24 - Nov 17 by haynes_toe1

Depends what you mean by "ageing players." I'd only describe Ward as that out of that lot.

Oldest team in the league on 11:41 - Nov 17 with 920 viewsitfcjoe

Oldest team in the league on 08:08 - Nov 17 by Herbivore

Lambert's signings have helped bolster that late 20s/early 30s demographic in the sqaud and it's hard to se how we end up making any money on any of them, KVY aside, if he ever gets fit. Here's the permanent signings made by Lambert and their current age:

Judge - 32
Norwood - 30
Holy - 28
Wilson - 31
KVY - 24
Hawkins - 28
Cornell - 29
Ward - 35

So the average age of players Lambert has signed for the first team squad is 29.6. I know some will claim all sorts of mitigation, that it is impossible to sign players younger than those we signed with no budget (even though other sides at this level do it all the time) but it doesn't really smack of someone who is putting the building blocks in place for the future in how they are putting a squad together. And it's not like they've all been resounding short term successes either.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2020 8:37]

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Oldest team in the league on 11:43 - Nov 17 with 918 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Oldest team in the league on 09:05 - Nov 17 by Herbivore

Yep, precisely this. Barely any money gets spent on fees at this level, you get the odd fee spent but it's the exception rather than the norm. Other sides are managing to bring in players in their early to mid 20s on free transfers and these players are getting game time and doing well. I'm not sure why that strategy becomes impossible when it comes to us and the only two choices we have are to spend money or sign older players. Perhaps different rules apply to Ipswich.

Here's what you said about this season's signings a couple of months ago;

"They are decent, solid signings. Nobody is going to be flying at half mast over them but I can't see any reason to complain about them either. They fill some important gaps in the squad."

Those 3 signings are as good a swoop as anyone in League One can manage by Herbivore 18 Aug 2020 15:33
We could sign Messi and it wouldn't be enough to get us promoted under this clown.

They are decent, solid signings. Nobody is going to be flying at half mast over them but I can't see any reason to complain about them either. They fill some important gaps in the squad.

And here's what you said about young players around the same time;

"Think it's a stretch to say the young players have more footballing intelligence than him (Jackson) as well. Dobra has made one league appearance and got sent off. Lankester we've only seen a handful of times and he looks to have a lot of talent but hard to say much more than that."

As it stands line up for 1st game? by Herbivore 18 Aug 2020 14:08
I'm not overly worried about that. The wide forward role he should be pushed up pretty high most of the time and looking to bridge the gap to the central striker. It's not like playing wide midfield in a 4-4-2. I think he's got the attributes to do well in that role, whoever plays out of Lankester or Dobra or even Sears on the other side will be the one to drop in a touch more and link play when needed. Think it's a stretch to say the young players have more footballing intelligence than him as well. Dobra has made one league appearance and got sent off. Lankester we've only seen a handful of times and he looks to have a lot of talent but hard to say much more than that.

You had little time for Dobra then, now he seemingly should have been playing. Seems like you change your view to fit your agenda at the time.

Oldest team in the league on 11:48 - Nov 17 with 910 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Oldest team in the league on 11:41 - Nov 17 by itfcjoe

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

Herbs doesn't fool me. He was quite happy with this season's signings at the time. Now he's saying they're too old.

Funny old game.

Oldest team in the league on 11:52 - Nov 17 with 904 viewsitfcjoe

Oldest team in the league on 09:16 - Nov 17 by The_Flashing_Smile

Thanks. Interesting. Obviously there are deals to be had (Mick signed Mings, for example). But generally to get the better quality youngsters you have to pay for them. If a youngster's really good he's less likely to be free, I'd have thought.

I'd be interested to know where the players you mention came from and what the circumstances were behind their signing.

It could be our scouting isn't very good. And it could equally be that Lambert's less keen on signing promising youngsters - I'll concede that if it's proven to be the case. My only point in regard to this thread is he hasn't deliberately picked the oldest team in the league. Our first team would be much younger if everyone was available. In reality we're not particularly an old OR young team. We're a blend of youth and experience.

There are many things to have a pop at Lambert about but I don't really see much wrong with the team age-wise. Our oldest player, Ward, I think everyone was happy with, and Dobra's the only young player I can think of who isn't playing as much as he should to my mind.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2020 9:19]

"In reality we're not particularly an old OR young team. We're a blend of youth and experience."

I think this is where your Ipswich-centric view may be causing you an issue on this thread, and having supported a Championhsip team for 17 years means a number of fans don't see the reality of what life in L1 is.

We are an old team in L1, when you look at our opposition you see that we are effectively still a Championship squd in this league with regards to size and age-profile.

Oldest team in the league on 11:59 - Nov 17 with 899 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Oldest team in the league on 11:52 - Nov 17 by itfcjoe

"In reality we're not particularly an old OR young team. We're a blend of youth and experience."

I think this is where your Ipswich-centric view may be causing you an issue on this thread, and having supported a Championhsip team for 17 years means a number of fans don't see the reality of what life in L1 is.

We are an old team in L1, when you look at our opposition you see that we are effectively still a Championship squd in this league with regards to size and age-profile.

Do you mean squad or first 11? As I've stated, and Phil and a couple of others have agreed, but for injuries/heads not right, we'd have had a much younger 'players who've had minutes' list and would be fairly average for the division, going by the stats in the OP.

Wouldn't you also agree we currently probably have the youngest centre back pairing in the entire football league?

i could be wrong, but I think the age of our team is a fairly minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

Oldest team in the league on 13:12 - Nov 17 with 865 viewsitfcjoe

Oldest team in the league on 11:59 - Nov 17 by The_Flashing_Smile

Do you mean squad or first 11? As I've stated, and Phil and a couple of others have agreed, but for injuries/heads not right, we'd have had a much younger 'players who've had minutes' list and would be fairly average for the division, going by the stats in the OP.

Wouldn't you also agree we currently probably have the youngest centre back pairing in the entire football league?

i could be wrong, but I think the age of our team is a fairly minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

I think both, I think having Woolfie and Downes fit would have made a difference but doesn't turn us from an old to a young team, and realistically the only young player who has got any proper game time this season is Mark McGuinness, a loanee.

We haven't really got any truly young players playing, the likes of Dozzell, Downes and Woolfie are 4th year professionals - had the authorities not changed the Reserve team to an U23 from an U21 team, then the only player U21 who has had league minutes this season is Jack Lankester

40 is likely to be the youngest CB pairing, and hopefully they will both start on Saturday, but there can't be many full back pairings older than 70 in world football!

I think major issue is that lambert is talking about the long term, and that we have a young team, when it is just not the case compared to this league - Sunderland have an old team, but most teams we play have 4-5 u22 players, with anohter 3 or 4 on the bench

Oldest team in the league on 13:17 - Nov 17 with 853 viewsHerbivore

Oldest team in the league on 13:12 - Nov 17 by itfcjoe

I think both, I think having Woolfie and Downes fit would have made a difference but doesn't turn us from an old to a young team, and realistically the only young player who has got any proper game time this season is Mark McGuinness, a loanee.

We haven't really got any truly young players playing, the likes of Dozzell, Downes and Woolfie are 4th year professionals - had the authorities not changed the Reserve team to an U23 from an U21 team, then the only player U21 who has had league minutes this season is Jack Lankester

40 is likely to be the youngest CB pairing, and hopefully they will both start on Saturday, but there can't be many full back pairings older than 70 in world football!

I think major issue is that lambert is talking about the long term, and that we have a young team, when it is just not the case compared to this league - Sunderland have an old team, but most teams we play have 4-5 u22 players, with anohter 3 or 4 on the bench

It's a bit of a stretch to say we have the youngest CB pairing as well when that pairing has featured in just two games this season. I'm not convinced they'll be our most used pairing this season, when KVY is fit I think Chambers moves back to the centre with Woolfie and I can see Nsiala still getting games here and there too. And as you say they are currently flanked by a couple of pensioners so it's swings and roundabouts. We're miles away from being a young side.

Oldest team in the league on 13:56 - Nov 17 with 833 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Fair enough. Like I say, I only came into this thread because I thought the 'oldest team' tag was a little unfair, and I think most would agree with that.

It's a fair point that we don't have many U21 players knocking on the door. Debatable if that's Lambert's fault though. As I've said, I'd like to have seen more of Dobra... and now I think about it El Miz should be knocking on the door more, but other than that I don't see a lot wrong with Lambert's selection of our youth players.

I personally would class Dozzell, Downes and Woolfie as youngsters regardless of them being 4th year professionals, but that's obviously debatable. They are all saleable players with room to improve, if that's the barometer.

Oldest team in the league on 14:01 - Nov 17 with 823 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Oldest team in the league on 13:17 - Nov 17 by Herbivore

It's a bit of a stretch to say we have the youngest CB pairing as well when that pairing has featured in just two games this season. I'm not convinced they'll be our most used pairing this season, when KVY is fit I think Chambers moves back to the centre with Woolfie and I can see Nsiala still getting games here and there too. And as you say they are currently flanked by a couple of pensioners so it's swings and roundabouts. We're miles away from being a young side.

No-one in this thread said we're a young side.

It is without doubt that Woolfy would've started the season if he was fit. Also, as soon as the Wilson/Toto partnership showed cracks, McGuinness was in.

Again, you're looking at the stats and ignoring the context. Lambert clearly wants to play these two ahead of the other two. The fact they've only played two shows why the stat in the OP is a bit meaningless at this early stage of the season.

Oldest team in the league on 14:27 - Nov 17 with 794 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Oldest team in the league on 11:43 - Nov 17 by The_Flashing_Smile

"They are decent, solid signings. Nobody is going to be flying at half mast over them but I can't see any reason to complain about them either. They fill some important gaps in the squad."

Those 3 signings are as good a swoop as anyone in League One can manage by Herbivore 18 Aug 2020 15:33
We could sign Messi and it wouldn't be enough to get us promoted under this clown.

They are decent, solid signings. Nobody is going to be flying at half mast over them but I can't see any reason to complain about them either. They fill some important gaps in the squad.

"Think it's a stretch to say the young players have more footballing intelligence than him (Jackson) as well. Dobra has made one league appearance and got sent off. Lankester we've only seen a handful of times and he looks to have a lot of talent but hard to say much more than that."

I'm not overly worried about that. The wide forward role he should be pushed up pretty high most of the time and looking to bridge the gap to the central striker. It's not like playing wide midfield in a 4-4-2. I think he's got the attributes to do well in that role, whoever plays out of Lankester or Dobra or even Sears on the other side will be the one to drop in a touch more and link play when needed. Think it's a stretch to say the young players have more footballing intelligence than him as well. Dobra has made one league appearance and got sent off. Lankester we've only seen a handful of times and he looks to have a lot of talent but hard to say much more than that.

You had little time for Dobra then, now he seemingly should have been playing. Seems like you change your view to fit your agenda at the time.

Interesting you just down arrow this and nothing more. They're YOUR words.

Oldest team in the league on 14:41 - Nov 17 with 776 viewsSpruceMoose

But is Ricky Gervais one of our five a day though? 🤔

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Oldest team in the league on 14:44 - Nov 17 with 770 viewsfooters

Oldest team in the league on 14:41 - Nov 17 by SpruceMoose

The public demands a 10-pager!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Oldest team in the league on 14:46 - Nov 17 with 761 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Oldest team in the league on 14:27 - Nov 17 by The_Flashing_Smile

Interesting you just down arrow this and nothing more. They're YOUR words.

I guess when you're caught bang to rights dowarrowing is all you have left.

Oldest team in the league on 14:50 - Nov 17 with 748 viewsSpruceMoose

Oldest team in the league on 14:46 - Nov 17 by The_Flashing_Smile

I guess when you're caught bang to rights dowarrowing is all you have left.

Sorry... I had to!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Oldest team in the league on 14:52 - Nov 17 with 742 viewsX0Y0

Looking at the distribution of the charts and minutes played, it doesn't appear as though most teams have 4-5 u22 players - closest would be Accrington, Swindon and Wimbledon, but they would fall short of that mark.

Furthermore, Sunderland have given very limited game time to players U23, and Peterborough and Portsmouth have given almost no game time to players 21 or younger. Same applies to Oxford, Blackpool and Northampton.

If you look at the balance of experience in most of our lineups I actually think it has been reasonable this season, and an improvement on previous years. Main debate I think is reasonable is whether Dobra could / should have had more game time, however that may have ended up being in place of Lankester on occasion.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2020 15:22]
Oldest team in the league on 15:04 - Nov 17 with 727 viewsPassionNotAnger

Oldest team in the league on 11:43 - Nov 17 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yay, here comes the argument man (yet again)

Bit rich complaining about someone changing their views - in the time I've been viewing this board you've had at least 3 different user names/accounts and even more flounces.
Oldest team in the league on 15:10 - Nov 17 with 720 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Oldest team in the league on 15:04 - Nov 17 by PassionNotAnger

Yay, here comes the argument man (yet again)

Bit rich complaining about someone changing their views - in the time I've been viewing this board you've had at least 3 different user names/accounts and even more flounces.

Changing a username isn't changing your views. It's just a name.

And when it comes to argumentative, what's your reason for being in this thread other than having a pop at me?

Oldest team in the league on 15:10 - Nov 17 with 720 viewsNewcyBlue

Oldest team in the league on 14:41 - Nov 17 by SpruceMoose

Potatoes are funnier.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024