Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans 12:17 - Nov 19 with 3500 viewsTieDyedIn95

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/karl-fuller-ipswich-town-letting-fans-down-1-693145

Evans is doing the bare minimum here with the expected result, League One. We're not lighting up the league with our performances, or team (which we're told should easily get us out of this league, despite being made up of players who largely put us here) and we have shown no ambition other than to participate in cup competitions. We are as far removed from the legacy of Sir Alf. and Sir Bobby and even George Burley as we ever have been and I don't see that changing regardless of whoever is the manager until Evans moves on.

We as a support have given the man too easy a time and put absolutely no pressure on him to do any better than he has either, we've swallowed the soundbites and spin and accepted our fate because he keeps the club afloat. I am sorry, simply existing is not good enough for Ipswich Town.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 14:10 - Nov 19 with 1530 viewsBlueBadger

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 13:12 - Nov 19 by TheTrueBlue1878

I think if I recall correctly, Sheepshanks did him up like a bit of kipper. Sold him the Premier League dream and sold the idea to Evans that it would only take a quick invesment of a few million to reach the promise land.

We probably could have done, under a competent manager. Instead he hired Keane and Jewell.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 14:19 - Nov 19 with 1529 viewsVaughan8

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 13:43 - Nov 19 by StokieBlue

He keeps us afloat by handing over a decent chunk of money every year and now with the salary cap he can't just throw money at it and buy a team even if he wanted to.

So what do you think he can do? What do you want him to do?

All very good to have a moan but you've not really contributed anything to the debate.

SB

People who comment on facebook (i know I shouldn't look at that haha) are a bit like this "Evans out", "he's ruining our club" "why am i paying for my season ticket just for home ifollow games" " I want away games as well".

When you question it, they have no answer. There isn't an answer. No-one wants the club so we are stuck with Evans. They can't even suggest any improvements but "spend money".
Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 14:21 - Nov 19 with 1517 viewstractorboy1978

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 13:59 - Nov 19 by itfcjoe

He makes the point about playing 66 games in 80/81, but the season totally fell apart because the squad were knackered

And despite what he says, the game is undoubtedly different now.
Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 14:21 - Nov 19 with 1511 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 13:52 - Nov 19 by 66notout

Surely, if Sheepshanks was that astute. we would never have been in such a financial mess in the first place.

I never said he was astute, just a good salesmen.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 14:27 - Nov 19 with 1494 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 13:43 - Nov 19 by StokieBlue

He keeps us afloat by handing over a decent chunk of money every year and now with the salary cap he can't just throw money at it and buy a team even if he wanted to.

All very good to have a moan but you've not really contributed anything to the debate.

SB

Well whatever his 'plan' is right now clearly is not working.

Where is the plan to rebuild us?

Unfortuantely you've just said, his plan is to keep us afloat each year and let us just drift.

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 14:32 - Nov 19 with 1479 viewsVaughan8

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 14:27 - Nov 19 by TheTrueBlue1878

Unfortuantely you've just said, his plan is to keep us afloat each year and let us just drift.

What do you want him to do though?

He's made poor manager decisions throughout (except Mick I suppose) but thats all in the past. What can we do now? We probably have as good a squad as we can get in this league now? You can't really throw money at it?
Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 14:33 - Nov 19 with 1471 viewshype313

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 14:32 - Nov 19 by Vaughan8

He's made poor manager decisions throughout (except Mick I suppose) but thats all in the past. What can we do now? We probably have as good a squad as we can get in this league now? You can't really throw money at it?

Certainly not now we can't.

Makes you wonder if the salary cap suits Marcus....

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 14:34 - Nov 19 with 1458 viewsHerbivore

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 14:27 - Nov 19 by TheTrueBlue1878

Erm, have you not seen the five point plan?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 14:44 - Nov 19 with 1442 viewsStokieBlue

Where have I mentioned a plan?

I've simply asked what the OP wants him to do.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 15:12 - Nov 19 with 1415 viewsBluefish

I think my mum could write something better than that. He seems to struggle with the fact that football has moved on and times can't be compared. If he wants to compare the 70s to present then we could say ME is putting far too much money in because we didn't need to waste money on players back then and spending it on wine was far more productive

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 15:18 - Nov 19 with 1421 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 14:32 - Nov 19 by Vaughan8

Even Mick's tenure, the best manager we've had in the Evans era and he made him operate with his hands tied behind his back. Micks tenure came to a natural end and he kept him on another year extra because he didn't want to pay the final year of his contract up.

We have an ok squad, not the best you would get in this league but its ok, with the odd bright spark in there - Bishop, Dozzell, Woolfenden.

You can't throw money at it no, but I can't believe there is a better academy in this league, so use it and trust it, that is our gateway to bridging the gap we lack in transfer fees, getting the talent younger and developing them and providing a pathway for them.

Some may say Lambert is doing that now, I don't know.

But when Saturday comes around and Lambert picks Bishop/Nolan/Judge with no place for McGavin that is where I have issues.

I don't know, I jsut feel that we have the potential to really build a academy centric football club, and it feels the potential is there, without having a manager that trusts them.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2020 15:19]

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 15:26 - Nov 19 with 1408 viewsFixed_It

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 14:19 - Nov 19 by Vaughan8

People who comment on facebook (i know I shouldn't look at that haha) are a bit like this "Evans out", "he's ruining our club" "why am i paying for my season ticket just for home ifollow games" " I want away games as well".

When you question it, they have no answer. There isn't an answer. No-one wants the club so we are stuck with Evans. They can't even suggest any improvements but "spend money".

Leave Mach out of this.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 15:27 - Nov 19 with 1408 viewsCoco

yer but we hounded out Mick who would've had us comfortable in mid-table until the end of time. Mick wuz the messiah bor.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 15:33 - Nov 19 with 1392 viewsBlueBadger

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 15:27 - Nov 19 by Coco

yer but we hounded out Mick who would've had us comfortable in mid-table until the end of time. Mick wuz the messiah bor.

The Football Is Better Now.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 15:35 - Nov 19 with 1394 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 15:27 - Nov 19 by Coco

It was certainly the right time for Mick to move on, too late if you ask me actually. But what followed was car crash that pushed this club back 5 years.

I mean honestly, that PH transfer window of L1 and 2 imports, overseen by Evans again.

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 17:00 - Nov 19 with 1355 viewsMonkeyAlan

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 15:35 - Nov 19 by TheTrueBlue1878

It was certainly the right time for Mick to move on, too late if you ask me actually. But what followed was car crash that pushed this club back 5 years.

I mean honestly, that PH transfer window of L1 and 2 imports, overseen by Evans again.

Those transfers wouldn't have happened if the numb skulls hadn't hounded Mick out. None of those would have left and we would probably still be in the championship.
Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 17:43 - Nov 19 with 1339 viewsgordon

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 13:32 - Nov 19 by Herbivore

He gave too much money too soon to a rookie manager in Magilton, and Jim didn't really utilise that money very well. Signed way too many CMs and I genuinely can't remember a time since then that we haven't had too many CMs. Then he sacked Jim, went for a headline grabbing appointment, and gave him close to a blank chequebook. Evans needed a football man at the club from day 1 to help keep things in check, instead he gave his managers a ton of rope and they all ended up hanging themselves.

We spent an absolute fortune (relatively) on David Norris, who was an upmarket Vemund Brekke Skard.
Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 17:54 - Nov 19 with 1332 viewsbraveblue

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 13:29 - Nov 19 by TheTrueBlue1878

Again, got the big purchases wrong in his early tenure.

Up until Mick arrived the bulk of the big transfers were.

If Mick had had the budget in his 5 year tenure that was given in the 5 years before Mick under Evans, I wouldn't be suprised if we were a consistent top 6 side right now.

But again Evans fluffed his footballing decisions.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2020 13:29]

So who else did MM take to top 6?
Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 18:50 - Nov 19 with 1318 viewsKeaneish

SB

All you did is police his comment without adding anything to the debate either.

I’d like to see us adopt the Portsmouth approach and make this club a real fan owned community enterprise. The days of majority ownership by a small group should be controlled or prohibited. I’d like to see a consortium of vetted Town fans approach Evans with a plan to phase out ownership over time (if he’s interested in diluting his control) or at least to reduce the controlling, majority stake to give more control back.

I’d like the MD and Chief Execs employed to be bona fide town fans if they have the right credentials elected by shareholders who have voting rights.

The club should invest more in community grass roots football and there should be greater emphasis on corporate and social responsibility throughout the club.

These are all very high-level points without much in the way of a plan of action but they’re talking points none-the-less.

This is a good read: https://www.efdn.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Its-not-just-a-game-community-wo

What would you like to see happen?
[Post edited 19 Nov 2020 20:43]

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 18:55 - Nov 19 with 1314 viewsHerbivore

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 17:54 - Nov 19 by braveblue

So who else did MM take to top 6?

Millwall, Wolves, Sunderland. Essentially every other club side he managed, as well as us in 2014/15 obviously.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 18:57 - Nov 19 with 1315 viewsMullet

That's all well and good, but when fan's decided to raise their ire they were too lazy to look as high as the boardroom, and lashed out at the one bloke least deserving of it.

It's clear that the embarrassment and damage done from that now hampers any effort to criticise Evans effectively. Especially when it means far more than a handful of people who wanted to be Anglia News with a bedsheet need to hold their hands up.

The idea that "we are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans" only holds true when you examine that so many of those people didn't hold Hurst, Evans or Lambert to anywhere near the same scrutiny or high standards. That hypocrisy is the anchor on any sensible discourse around life without Marcus.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 19:19 - Nov 19 with 1300 viewsEl_Fenix

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 14:33 - Nov 19 by hype313

Certainly not now we can't.

Makes you wonder if the salary cap suits Marcus....

The salary cap could suit Marcus. He could operate the club in a way that generates positive cash flow, which could pay off some of the accrued interest on £100 million of debt.

On the other hand - Marcus would still be the owner a Zombie club, and would still be stuck with the manager who persuaded him to convert a generic five-point plan for the club into a five-year guaranteed employment plan for the manager.

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 19:47 - Nov 19 with 1287 viewsstonojnr

Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 14:10 - Nov 19 by BlueBadger

We probably could have done, under a competent manager. Instead he hired Keane and Jewell.

dont recall much complaining when either were appointed, even if we knew Keane would be a rocky ride.
Agree with Karl Fuller - We are happy to exist with no ambition under Evans on 20:36 - Nov 19 with 1261 viewsstonojnr

one of the issues I have with case put forward in the article is the Evans era has covered 6 managers, 4 of which got to pick cup games,though theres 1 manager out of all of them who clearly had no ambition in cup games, you cant IMO lump the decisions of all those managers and all those games on Lamberts doorstep, he isnt here to take responsibility for all that.

and lets talk about cup runs in the Evans era, everyone just forgotten we got to the semi final of the League cup in 2011, 90mins from Wembley ?

clearly it made such an impression on fans, after all winning those cup games gave the team such confidence that season, we sacked the manager because we were doing so well, so the assistant manager had to take charge for it.

Ive said before the club are in a position at the moment getting out of L1 is the absolutely priority, its not about entertaining the fans, or giving them a bit of warm glow nostalgia feel about cup games they clearly can barely remember in the years to come.

The manager has decided the best way to achieve that promotion aim is to drop out of the cup games early, he now has what he wanted, and its down to him to motivate the squad of players he has got to achieve the aim of promotion, there are no excuses now, so lets see how it turns out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024