Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing 10:35 - Dec 15 with 3786 viewsElderGrizzly

Will be interesting to see how the two main parties position themselves here

[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 10:36]
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:11 - Dec 15 with 827 viewsjeera

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:06 - Dec 15 by Fixed_It

Basically - they haven't. We are continually reminding them to wear masks in corridors. We are continually reminding them to avoid physical contact, We are continually telling them 'tough'(well - usually a bit more subtle than that) when they complain that 'It's freezing!' the second the window is open for ventilation. It's been very draining for all of us.

It must be mentally exhausting!

Fully understand that.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:13 - Dec 15 with 824 viewsRyorry

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:02 - Dec 15 by Fixed_It

I am all for following the guidelines, but the point is the Government are totally contradicting themselves when it comes to schools and teachers.
My family mostly live away (abroad), and so I won't be seeing them unfortunately. I totally get you trying to do what's best, and I would be exactly the same if I had been living according to those guidelines hitherto. But I haven't been able to because of my job. FWIW I will not be visiting my parents this Christmas - again, because of my job.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:17 - Dec 15 with 814 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 10:55 - Dec 15 by bluelagos

I sense a bit of a groundswell/shift of opinion.

If the new variant can be shown to be more virulent (faster spread) then he has both an additional need to do something, and a "Get out of jail" card.

That assumes of course that he is capable of making a tough call when it needs to be made, rather than say spend 2 weeks dithering before making the same call he should have made previously.

It assumes he has the time and brain space to be able to think this through properly, whilst also negotiating a Brexit Deal with Europe AND negotiating access to his kids with all his angry exes.

Hmmm, New-Variant Covid really is the answer to his prayers, isn't it?
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:19 - Dec 15 with 806 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:08 - Dec 15 by homer_123

Is that because everyone has Covid then? ;)

must be using those new home testing kits!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:20 - Dec 15 with 803 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:01 - Dec 15 by ElderGrizzly

The message from the Government minister on the media rounds this morning appears to be they will keep the 5 days, but we need to do the minimum possible.

In other words, washing their hands of any issues when spikes occur

As long as they sing "Happy Birthday" whilst washing their hands, all will be fine!
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:26 - Dec 15 with 801 viewsCrayonKing

Said a couple of weeks ago that it would be Christmas at home with no visitors for us. It will be the first year our kids haven't spent Christmas with their cousins but they understand the reasons.

Currently getting guilt-tripped from sister-in-law and mother for ruining Christmas, but travelling and mixing households indoors seemed too risky even a few weeks ago. Now it just seems like total madness.

How many people are going to die unnecessarily just because Boris can't face being mocked-up as the Grinch on the front page of the Sun?!
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 12:32]
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:36 - Dec 15 with 759 viewsjeera

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:26 - Dec 15 by CrayonKing

Said a couple of weeks ago that it would be Christmas at home with no visitors for us. It will be the first year our kids haven't spent Christmas with their cousins but they understand the reasons.

Currently getting guilt-tripped from sister-in-law and mother for ruining Christmas, but travelling and mixing households indoors seemed too risky even a few weeks ago. Now it just seems like total madness.

How many people are going to die unnecessarily just because Boris can't face being mocked-up as the Grinch on the front page of the Sun?!
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 12:32]

This is the man who boasted on TV about going onto Covid wards and shaking hands with everyone.

I cannot believe anyone took the idiot remotely seriously following that.

As if his previous record of stupidity wasn't already enough.

PM of the UK for goodness' sake.

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:03 - Dec 15 with 736 viewsEastTownBlue

Well, Keir Starmer is asking for a rethink...

[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 13:03]
Login to get fewer ads

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:04 - Dec 15 with 723 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Isn't it obvious that lockdown should have been extended (perhaps with certain exceptions - students travelling home etc) until a bubble could be formed on the 23rd?

Instead, we have people crowding in shopping centres, pubs, restaurants, offices etc right before mingling with 3 other households for 5 days over Xmas?
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:05 - Dec 15 with 715 viewsElderGrizzly

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:03 - Dec 15 by EastTownBlue

Well, Keir Starmer is asking for a rethink...

[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 13:03]

Clever. Very much putting it all on Boris
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:13 - Dec 15 with 694 viewsElderGrizzly

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:05 - Dec 15 by ElderGrizzly

Clever. Very much putting it all on Boris

Looks like the options being discussed are:

- cutting the Christmas period for exemptions from five days to three,
- or cutting bubbles from three households to two
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:15 - Dec 15 with 681 viewsStokieBlue

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:13 - Dec 15 by ElderGrizzly

Looks like the options being discussed are:

- cutting the Christmas period for exemptions from five days to three,
- or cutting bubbles from three households to two

Would either make that much difference?

The second one could possibly scale back vectors 33% but that's still a lot of vectors.

The first one is irrelevant isn't it? If 3 households are mixed then it takes hours rather than days for the virus to be passed on if it's present.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:18 - Dec 15 with 670 viewsElderGrizzly

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:15 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

Would either make that much difference?

The second one could possibly scale back vectors 33% but that's still a lot of vectors.

The first one is irrelevant isn't it? If 3 households are mixed then it takes hours rather than days for the virus to be passed on if it's present.

SB

No, but they won’t pull it all back so they will need to make a gesture.

I also think they again need to explain this is not 3 households per day, but for the entire 5 days. The amount of people who appear to think you can bounce between households each day
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:20 - Dec 15 with 669 viewsStokieBlue

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:18 - Dec 15 by ElderGrizzly

No, but they won’t pull it all back so they will need to make a gesture.

I also think they again need to explain this is not 3 households per day, but for the entire 5 days. The amount of people who appear to think you can bounce between households each day

I actually thought they had been pretty clear about that, I don't know anyone who thinks it's 3 per day but I suspect people are wilfully reading what they want to read.

SB

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:23 - Dec 15 with 655 viewsbrazil1982

The public have to take some personal responsibility. I am visiting my parents this Saturday from up North. Drive down, gift exchange, cup of tea in the garden, probably with an umbrella, socially distant with face coverings. I had a test yesterday too for a little peace of mind.

it won't be fun but we get to see each other - my mother has dementia so anytime now she won't recognise me. She does currently so I'm visiting if only for a socially distant half hour. We will take all those precautions. If only the majority would too....
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:28 - Dec 15 with 644 viewsAce_High1

Christmas was madness and many of us on here have been calling it for the last 3 months.

it should be 100% cancelled with celebrations rescheduled for the spring/summer.

Unfortunately uncle Boris wants the front page headlines so will plough on and "save" Christmas.

We will all pay for it in January and the same people desperate for a "normal" Christmas will be the ones shouting loudest about "my freedom" and "rights" in January when more businesses close, lockdown comes in and more people suffer and die.

Well done Boris and the some of the great British public.
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:30 - Dec 15 with 638 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:20 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

I actually thought they had been pretty clear about that, I don't know anyone who thinks it's 3 per day but I suspect people are wilfully reading what they want to read.

SB

Same. The amount of people who are openly discussing ignoring that appears quite high in my social network.
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:40 - Dec 15 with 623 viewsMookamoo

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:20 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

SB

The Grandparent generation in our family are having difficulty understanding it. They have asked why we can't go over on Boxing Day 'as it will just be us' - them having spent Christmas day with 2 different households.

They've given up trying to listen to what Boris has to say now. The guilt trips and pressure from that older group will mean a lot bounce from household to household.
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:45 - Dec 15 with 613 viewsStokieBlue

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:40 - Dec 15 by Mookamoo

The Grandparent generation in our family are having difficulty understanding it. They have asked why we can't go over on Boxing Day 'as it will just be us' - them having spent Christmas day with 2 different households.

They've given up trying to listen to what Boris has to say now. The guilt trips and pressure from that older group will mean a lot bounce from household to household.

That's absolutely the worst thing to do though, especially if it's between older households so lets hope not.

SB

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:57 - Dec 15 with 597 viewsstantheman

SB

That's why we are coming home from my daughters before my son-in-laws family appear on Boxing Day. The problem being, as a follow on from that, is how many households his family have mixed with in the mean time as he has a big family all living in Ipswich area. I better get a spreadsheet out to see how long after Christmas it would be safe to meet up with the daughter again. Happy Christmas everyone.
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 14:04 - Dec 15 with 590 viewsMookamoo

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:45 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

That's absolutely the worst thing to do though, especially if it's between older households so lets hope not.

SB

We're not going round,. They're perfectly intelligent and almost in possession of their faculties but simply don't get the 3 households.

The other set of Grandparents are now on Discord and we're had a trial run using this:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/Tabletop_Simulator/
That will be Boxing Day afternoon.
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 14:44 - Dec 15 with 552 viewsDebsyAngel

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:10 - Dec 15 by Ryorry

Quite. Him putting the right thing to do over popularity? His history shows 0 chance of that. A third wave of Covid_19 is inevitable.

Usually go to friends for Christmas Day, it's going to be a walk along the beach or maybe up t'dale this year, just me & the mutt. Life is for living as long as you can, not just for Christmas.

Going to be just me and my husband and make it what we can, but I will be pretty upset most of the day, as will miss seeing my parents. They are coming here Friday to collect their presents at the door and that's it. My husband will be dropping his Mum and brother's presents round Sunday at the door. Just hope I and everyone will be around next Xmas to have a better one.
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 15:01 - Dec 15 with 540 viewsjeera

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 13:45 - Dec 15 by StokieBlue

SB

People like my elderly mum are now so bored they're beside themselves and are now taking chances.

I'm annoyed with her because she let slip that she's nipped out a few times to the shops.

Here's muggins doing all he can to keep his head down so he can go and visit her over Xmas and she's off to effing Tesco.

I know she's had enough, and she lives alone and it's been difficult for her. But she came out with something so stupid I nearly fell over: "If something was going to happen it would have by now." She knew the second she said it how ridiculous that sounded but that's all she could come up with.

Like I say, there must be loads like her who almost don't care anymore. Vaccine's are around the corner too so just that little bit longer...

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 15:23 - Dec 15 with 518 viewsjontysnut

we were going to have my 88 year old dad and the 93/84 in laws in as safe as way as we could - no close contact, no help yourself on the table, windows open etc but now we're thinking is it really worth it? Just put it off and have Christmas in February.
Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 16:00 - Dec 15 with 480 viewsstantheman

Joint statement calling for stopping of xmas mixing on 12:06 - Dec 15 by Fixed_It

Basically - they haven't. We are continually reminding them to wear masks in corridors. We are continually reminding them to avoid physical contact, We are continually telling them 'tough'(well - usually a bit more subtle than that) when they complain that 'It's freezing!' the second the window is open for ventilation. It's been very draining for all of us.

I would have liked to be a teacher myself, it's the "kids" bit that put me off. Credit to you.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024