Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well done Brexit voters 06:04 - Jan 7 with 6717 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at the owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Well done Brexit voters on 07:48 - Jan 7 with 3033 viewstiptreeblue

Surely, if this item can be bought in Britain, this will be a good thing for the country in the end regarding jobs?
Well done Brexit voters on 07:52 - Jan 7 with 3007 viewsBlueBadger

Well done Brexit voters on 07:48 - Jan 7 by tiptreeblue

Surely, if this item can be bought in Britain, this will be a good thing for the country in the end regarding jobs?

It'll just be more expensive because parts, etc will have been subject to import duty, sorry, sovereignty tax.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Well done Brexit voters on 07:53 - Jan 7 with 3012 viewsPinewoodblue

Well done Brexit voters on 07:48 - Jan 7 by tiptreeblue

Somethings will have to be purchased from UK based companies as some EU companies will no longer sell to the UK. They are supposed to collect VAT on the sales and pay it to the exchequer.

Similar situation arose years ago with Channel Islands based companies selling CDs.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Well done Brexit voters on 08:10 - Jan 7 with 2982 viewsKeaneish

Well done Brexit voters on 07:52 - Jan 7 by BlueBadger

It'll just be more expensive because parts, etc will have been subject to import duty, sorry, sovereignty tax.

I’d like to think an entrepreneur would look at this situation and see opportunity to make the parts in England and capitalise on the situation. Think we’ll see lots of pragmatism like this in the upcoming months and years...

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Well done Brexit voters on 08:13 - Jan 7 with 2977 viewstiptreeblue

Then there must be an opportunity for a young entrepreneur, or an established company to start producing these things?
Well done Brexit voters on 08:22 - Jan 7 with 2953 viewsBlueRaider

There is very little duty, it is more likely to be VAT on imports. I work for a company that imports and exports and it is VAT that is the issue. Businesses buying components will be able to recover the VAT they pay over, so there won't be cost increases in that scenario

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Well done Brexit voters on 08:27 - Jan 7 with 2930 viewsKeaneish

Well done Brexit voters on 08:13 - Jan 7 by tiptreeblue

Then there must be an opportunity for a young entrepreneur, or an established company to start producing these things?

Yes, exactly this. Naturally raw material that doesn’t exist in this country will be imported but there will be shifts in manufacturing where economically viable to introduce new methods that only exist on the continent or elsewhere.

There’s rich opportunity for folk out there at the moment if people were so inclined to seek it out and take advantage of it. Hopefully the government will produce some good, favourable investment initiatives soon - I haven’t seen anything too forthcoming at the moment.

Well done Brexit voters on 08:33 - Jan 7 with 2912 viewsStokieBlue

Is it a customs charge or a VAT charge?

Worth noting that the VAT laws also changed on 1st January but it wasn't brexit related. Companies like eBay are now enforced to take 20% VAT at the time of the sale and pay it to the treasury as many weren't paying VAT on items after the purchase.

This is a similar rule to Germany though so not really EU related.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Well done Brexit voters on 08:39 - Jan 7 with 2873 viewsKeaneish

Well done Brexit voters on 08:33 - Jan 7 by StokieBlue

Is it a customs charge or a VAT charge?

Worth noting that the VAT laws also changed on 1st January but it wasn't brexit related. Companies like eBay are now enforced to take 20% VAT at the time of the sale and pay it to the treasury as many weren't paying VAT on items after the purchase.

This is a similar rule to Germany though so not really EU related.

SB

The picture says customs charge...

Well done Brexit voters on 08:44 - Jan 7 with 2851 viewsBlueRaider

Well done Brexit voters on 08:39 - Jan 7 by Keaneish

The picture says customs charge...

Customs charges include duty and VAT

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Well done Brexit voters on 08:44 - Jan 7 with 2834 viewsHerbivore

Well done Brexit voters on 08:13 - Jan 7 by tiptreeblue

You honestly think that the UK attempting to produce all the goods it needs domestically is a viable option? Even if it was long-term, and I'm highly doubtful about that, it doesn't really address the short-term issue.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Well done Brexit voters on 08:52 - Jan 7 with 2822 viewsSwansea_Blue

Well done Brexit voters on 08:44 - Jan 7 by Herbivore

You honestly think that the UK attempting to produce all the goods it needs domestically is a viable option? Even if it was long-term, and I'm highly doubtful about that, it doesn't really address the short-term issue.

Not only that, it's about choice for the consumer as well isn't it? If I want a pair of genuine hand stitched Bavarian lederhosen, I don't want some knock-up a bloke in Bognor Regis has tried to put together.

'I'm sure we can cobble something together' is is a pathetic defense for us losing our choice (or at best making it much more expensive). Very naive too. We 'The People' lose out, as seemingly is always the case.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Well done Brexit voters on 08:53 - Jan 7 with 2810 viewsKeaneish

No it won’t but opportunity exists. It’s not a short term option starting from now but many people got the ball rolling 2 or 3 years ago. It’ll take time for sure but there’s positivity in this.

Well done Brexit voters on 08:55 - Jan 7 with 2799 viewsKeaneish

Well done Brexit voters on 08:44 - Jan 7 by BlueRaider

Customs charges include duty and VAT

Yeah, it’s split or at least it has been on the customs charges I’ve always paid from the US.

Well done Brexit voters on 09:20 - Jan 7 with 2699 viewsChurchman

No, not all the goods it needs. Stuff has been imported since before the Romans and that won’t change. What and where we import from will change as it always has. Trade with the EU as a percentage has been falling for years and I suspect Brexit will accelerate that.

There is no way Britain can or will produce all it needs, but with investment and innovation maybe it’ll produce more. I find those ‘Inside the Factory’ programmes interesting as much for the innovation, technology and processes as anything else. They remind me that failure of old industries and lack of manufacturing in this country was far more about failure to invest than anything else.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2021 9:32]
Well done Brexit voters on 09:31 - Jan 7 with 2644 viewsMonkeyAlan

Will give entrepreneurs a real chance in this country in the long term. Will open up opportunities.
Well done Brexit voters on 09:36 - Jan 7 with 2608 viewsjeera

Well done Brexit voters on 09:20 - Jan 7 by Churchman

No, not all the goods it needs. Stuff has been imported since before the Romans and that won’t change. What and where we import from will change as it always has. Trade with the EU as a percentage has been falling for years and I suspect Brexit will accelerate that.

There is no way Britain can or will produce all it needs, but with investment and innovation maybe it’ll produce more. I find those ‘Inside the Factory’ programmes interesting as much for the innovation, technology and processes as anything else. They remind me that failure of old industries and lack of manufacturing in this country was far more about failure to invest than anything else.

We used to produce many more products.

Then with the introduction of more competition from abroad with lower prices a natural selection took place. Factories closed down 40 years ago as a result and are not about to magically respring from the ground like mushrooms. I saw with my own eyes floor after floor void of people but full of wasted state-of- the-art machinery rendered worthless and gathering dust. It was bad thing for some British industry at the time but beneficial for the consumer.

Increased competition meant that products became widely accessible to more people rather than only those could afford to pay top prices.

Those days cannot just be undone, the country's industries adjusted a long time ago and all has long moved on. Our output looks a completely different monster now.

Anyone thinking this belated attempt at reversal is a good thing is mad.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Well done Brexit voters on 09:36 - Jan 7 with 2619 viewsKropotkin123

Well done Brexit voters on 09:20 - Jan 7 by Churchman

- The share of UK exports accounted for by the EU has generally fallen over time from 54% in 2002 to 43% in 2019.
- The share of UK imports accounted for by the EU fell from 57% in 2006 to 52% in 2019.

11% over 17 years and 5% over 13 years. Whilst it has been falling, as you say, it represents the biggest chunk of trade we do and any "accelerated" change is going to bring with it unnecessary challenges to companies and consumers throughout the supply chain. I don't think we can be so flippant about the impact of change.

Source: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7851/

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Well done Brexit voters on 09:41 - Jan 7 with 2561 viewsjeera

Well done Brexit voters on 09:31 - Jan 7 by MonkeyAlan

Will give entrepreneurs a real chance in this country in the long term. Will open up opportunities.

Really?

So when do you open your first factory then?

Well done Brexit voters on 09:47 - Jan 7 with 2545 viewsMoriarty

Well done Brexit voters on 09:31 - Jan 7 by MonkeyAlan

Not if any of the products referred to are protected by intellectual property rights.

Also, the entrepreneurs, whoever “they” might be, had the same opportunity to do so before Brexit. Being a member of the EU was not a bar to internal innovation.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2021 9:47]

fka omuircheartaigh

Well done Brexit voters on 09:52 - Jan 7 with 2512 viewsjeera

Well done Brexit voters on 09:47 - Jan 7 by Moriarty

Not if any of the products referred to are protected by intellectual property rights.

Also, the entrepreneurs, whoever “they” might be, had the same opportunity to do so before Brexit. Being a member of the EU was not a bar to internal innovation.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2021 9:47]

It's a real bizarre take isn't it, and one I have heard a lot.

As though no one in this country was allowed to manufacture before now.

Those that closed down were outpriced, it's pretty straightforward. The only way would have been of course to take on foreigners who were prepared to work for relative pennies - oh yes, that happened for years too. Then the blighters went and got 'rights'.

Besides, we don't want foreigners now either so what can you do?

Well done Brexit voters on 09:57 - Jan 7 with 2493 viewsBlueBadger

Well done Brexit voters on 08:52 - Jan 7 by Swansea_Blue

Not only that, it's about choice for the consumer as well isn't it? If I want a pair of genuine hand stitched Bavarian lederhosen, I don't want some knock-up a bloke in Bognor Regis has tried to put together.

'I'm sure we can cobble something together' is is a pathetic defense for us losing our choice (or at best making it much more expensive). Very naive too. We 'The People' lose out, as seemingly is always the case.

Yes, but the football is better now.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Well done Brexit voters on 10:02 - Jan 7 with 2494 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Well done Brexit voters on 10:07 - Jan 7 with 2469 viewstiptreeblue

Nothing will change overnight, that`s why I said it gives people an opportunity. There will always be a period where it will be difficult. but in the end, it should make a better manufacturing base in this country. People have always complained that Britain has lost most of this, and this is partly down to belonging to the EU.
Well done Brexit voters on 10:09 - Jan 7 with 2462 viewstiptreeblue

Well done Brexit voters on 08:52 - Jan 7 by Swansea_Blue

Where have I said that, if you want to buy foreign goods, you shouldn`t. If that`s what you want, then feel free to do so. BUT then, don`t complain about import duties. That`s all i`m saying
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024