Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him 16:35 - Mar 3 with 2200 viewsBlueBlood90

I'm not the most savvy when it comes to big financial transactions like this takeover.

Obviously I've read all the articles regarding the takeover and seen about Evans potentially wiping the debt clean.

Is it really as straight forward as that and Evans is just going to wave goodbye to £100m+ of money which is effectively owed to him?

It seems unfathomable how huge and important that would be for us if we're to move forwards and be successful in our new era.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:36 - Mar 3 with 2171 viewstractorboy1978

Looks like £100m odd written off in exchange for £17.5m-£30m (depending what figure you believe) + a retained 5% stake in the club.
Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:39 - Mar 3 with 2131 viewsWD19

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:36 - Mar 3 by tractorboy1978

Looks like £100m odd written off in exchange for £17.5m-£30m (depending what figure you believe) + a retained 5% stake in the club.

Just think of the tax benefits though.............
Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:40 - Mar 3 with 2112 viewsDubtractor

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:39 - Mar 3 by WD19

Hell yeah.

And that's before you think of the benefit in kind his brand has had from association with ITFC over the last 13 years.......

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:41 - Mar 3 with 2084 viewsCoastalblue

But it was never a debt in real terms, it was the amount of money he was prepared to pay to fund us on an ongoing basis. For tax reasons (I assume) it was classed as a loan rather than money given over. Maybe football regulations had something to do with this too?

People always seemed to get very hung up on the debt figure, can't believe Evans ever really thought he would see any of it back unless by some miracle we had three or four Prem years.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:42 - Mar 3 with 2068 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

No-one would buy the club with £100m of debt attached, so if/when the takeover goes ahead it will be with the debt written off. This way Evans gets something back from his investment and stops losing £7m a year. It's fortunate that the debt is owed to Evans, if it was external debt then we could only do this by going into administration.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:44 - Mar 3 with 2038 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:41 - Mar 3 by Coastalblue

But it was never a debt in real terms, it was the amount of money he was prepared to pay to fund us on an ongoing basis. For tax reasons (I assume) it was classed as a loan rather than money given over. Maybe football regulations had something to do with this too?

People always seemed to get very hung up on the debt figure, can't believe Evans ever really thought he would see any of it back unless by some miracle we had three or four Prem years.

We haven't had this much debt all along though - had his initial plan worked we'd have gone up in the first 3 years or so and the club would have been worth a lot more than his investment. Same plan again with the new owners but from a much lower starting point!

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:45 - Mar 3 with 2020 viewsfooters

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:39 - Mar 3 by WD19

He must've made at least £100m through tax over the years, the clever bastard.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:47 - Mar 3 with 1979 viewschrismakin

Could it be a simple case of whatever the Americans have planned. His 5% stake IS the debt value.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:49 - Mar 3 with 1946 viewsfooters

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:47 - Mar 3 by chrismakin

Could it be a simple case of whatever the Americans have planned. His 5% stake IS the debt value.

A club valuation of two billion seems a little punchy to me.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 16:57]

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:52 - Mar 3 with 1911 viewschrismakin

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:49 - Mar 3 by footers

But what about the potential long term plans... housing developments. New offices etc etc. Plus the club.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:55 - Mar 3 with 1880 viewschicoazul

Isn’t it the case that the original deal between him and Sheepy meant he could never sell the club for more than he paid for it..?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:55 - Mar 3 with 1870 viewsfooters

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:52 - Mar 3 by chrismakin

But what about the potential long term plans... housing developments. New offices etc etc. Plus the club.

You value things in the present, not in the future.

The debt already belongs to Evans, he's just recouping some of the losses with the cash and the 5% punt.

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 17:03 - Mar 3 with 1778 viewsChurchman

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:49 - Mar 3 by footers

When we’ve won the Champions League three straight years, you won’t be saying that. Bargain.
Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 17:05 - Mar 3 with 1762 viewsjayessess

He's taking 30p in the £ on a debt that has no realistic prospect of being repaid.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 17:18 - Mar 3 with 1670 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:47 - Mar 3 by chrismakin

Evans is never getting what he’s put in back, the club wouldn’t be sellable on the basis of having to pay him £100m or still owe it. It’s simply a pragmatic call of cutting his losses or accepting that he’s put in the money as a cost of running the club for the time he’s been here

Only he’ll know the exact motivations of keeping a 5% stake but presumably he either still wants to have a small interest or sees it as a way of getting more down the line should the new owners be successful in raising the value

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 17:36 - Mar 3 with 1582 viewsDerryfromBury

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:42 - Mar 3 by Charlie_pl_baxter

No-one would buy the club with £100m of debt attached, so if/when the takeover goes ahead it will be with the debt written off. This way Evans gets something back from his investment and stops losing £7m a year. It's fortunate that the debt is owed to Evans, if it was external debt then we could only do this by going into administration.

Exactly as I was explaining to the wife over lunch. Had it not been for ME (like him or not) we would have been insolvent many moons ago.
Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 17:40 - Mar 3 with 1550 viewschrismakin

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 17:36 - Mar 3 by DerryfromBury

Exactly as I was explaining to the wife over lunch. Had it not been for ME (like him or not) we would have been insolvent many moons ago.

Altho apart from putting in a bit of lifeboat money every year. Hes barely put any time into the club.

Football structure wrong
Player contracts wrong
Academy set up wrong
Supporter links wrong
Commercial activity non existent
Community involvement.. thrown away

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 17:40 - Mar 3 with 1563 viewsStokieBlue

I think it's a pretty fair deal for ME.

He's put in 100m, he can recoup between 17m of that from the sale, X from the land near the training ground and then 5% of any future potential upside if we reach the PL.

He was never going to get his 100m back and he knew that so this way he gets back probably 25% to 30% of that and a speculative stake which could be worth zero or something decent in the future.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 17:48 - Mar 3 with 1527 viewsWeWereZombies

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 17:36 - Mar 3 by DerryfromBury

Actually we were insolvent many moons ago...that is how Evans was able to step in and buy Ipswich Town in the way he did.

As for the debt that is owed to him I expect that if fortunes take a turn for the better and the club is flush with cash there will be a clause that Evans can exercise to kick off repayments, it is not just the Mafia that turn up mob handed.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 18:01 - Mar 3 with 1467 viewsFixed_It

Marcus Evans potentially writing off all of the debt owed to him on 16:55 - Mar 3 by chicoazul

Isn’t it the case that the original deal between him and Sheepy meant he could never sell the club for more than he paid for it..?

Really? That doesn't tally with the idea that he bought us to get to the Prem in order to make a quick buck!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024