Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Classic car people 15:30 - Mar 16 with 4938 viewsclive_baker

I don't think I would ever be bothered about owning a classic car (not that I have the money). Seems like a lot of faff and I'm not into them enough, but I do like looking at them. I walked past a neighbour earlier polishing his Mercedes 190 SL and I have to say that's a cool car.

What are the best ones, for a novice like me? E Type Jag?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Classic car people on 19:08 - Mar 16 with 1633 viewsjeera

Classic car people on 19:06 - Mar 16 by azuremerlangus

A Hyundai is never going to be a classic.

Sigh, neither is my Astra.

I wish I had kept my:

50cc FS1M
Cortina M3
Capri M2

And not crashed my Cortina M5.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Classic car people on 19:17 - Mar 16 with 1624 viewsazuremerlangus

Classic car people on 19:08 - Mar 16 by jeera

I wish I had kept my:

50cc FS1M
Cortina M3
Capri M2

Cortina Mk 3 - a classic and no argument.

I had a M4 Cortina - Friday afternoon car as it turned out.

I wish I had kept:

Scirroco Mk1
Scirrroco Mk2
VW Beetle (flat windscreen, metal dash board etc)
Smart roadster Coupe - a lot of fun and I think that will be a future classic

The rest I made the right decision on...

In total I think I'm up to 15 cars so far...
[Post edited 16 Mar 2021 19:18]

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Classic car people on 19:18 - Mar 16 with 1622 viewsChurchman

Classic car people on 19:04 - Mar 16 by jeera

Just hang on to your current car for the next 30 years!

I think maybe pick up a car that’s 10 or 15 years old with the right credentials? The problem is finding the right thing that’s desirable and the electronics in them. Of more modern wheels a Subaru Impreza maybe?
Classic car people on 19:21 - Mar 16 with 1614 viewsazuremerlangus

Classic car people on 19:18 - Mar 16 by Churchman

I think maybe pick up a car that’s 10 or 15 years old with the right credentials? The problem is finding the right thing that’s desirable and the electronics in them. Of more modern wheels a Subaru Impreza maybe?

The electrics/electronics is the killer - older classics are easy because they so agricultural when it comes to the engineering.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Classic car people on 19:39 - Mar 16 with 1599 viewsWicklowBlue

Classic car people on 19:03 - Mar 16 by azuremerlangus

All the classics are already too much money?

I think a cheaper option is to try and identify tomorrow's classic car - and the spares will be easier to get hold of too.

Call me crazy but I always wanted a 75. Drove a CDTi years ago and loved it but needed work and couldn't agree on a deal.

V6 Connoisseur, future classic? There was a V8 too.
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1314402
Classic car people on 22:44 - Mar 16 with 1575 viewsChurchman

Classic car people on 19:39 - Mar 16 by WicklowBlue

Call me crazy but I always wanted a 75. Drove a CDTi years ago and loved it but needed work and couldn't agree on a deal.

V6 Connoisseur, future classic? There was a V8 too.
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1314402

Not crazy at all. That’s a really lovely car. They came out at the same time as the original Lexus IS200, another car I really liked and did get the chance to borrow through work at the time.
Classic car people on 22:55 - Mar 16 with 1570 viewsCoastalblue

Classic car people on 22:44 - Mar 16 by Churchman

Not crazy at all. That’s a really lovely car. They came out at the same time as the original Lexus IS200, another car I really liked and did get the chance to borrow through work at the time.

The Jap import IS200 with the beams engine was the one to have, really decent car and not too hard to squeeze a bit more on top of the 210 bhp if you're so inclined.

My dream classic was always an old Lotus Elan, I love them but reality is there's no way I'll ever afford one now unless I win the lottery so would probably have to buy an old MX5 (still a damn fine fun car) and pretend.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Classic car people on 23:22 - Mar 16 with 1566 viewsChurchman

Classic car people on 22:55 - Mar 16 by Coastalblue

The Jap import IS200 with the beams engine was the one to have, really decent car and not too hard to squeeze a bit more on top of the 210 bhp if you're so inclined.

My dream classic was always an old Lotus Elan, I love them but reality is there's no way I'll ever afford one now unless I win the lottery so would probably have to buy an old MX5 (still a damn fine fun car) and pretend.

The standard IS200 wasn’t slow. Rock solid chassis on it too so I can understand why it’d take more power. I’ve always liked the MX5. Really good cars - all marques of them. I’ve always worried about looking a bit of a sad old git in one. No idea why as it’s nobody else’s business, but it’s just a feeling. ASA usable modern classic that’s as good as anything.

The Elan really is a classic. Wonderful engineering. I saw one not to far back in that two tone red and white paint job. Couldn’t believe how small it was.
Login to get fewer ads

Classic car people on 00:06 - Mar 17 with 1557 viewsWicklowBlue

Classic car people on 23:22 - Mar 16 by Churchman

The standard IS200 wasn’t slow. Rock solid chassis on it too so I can understand why it’d take more power. I’ve always liked the MX5. Really good cars - all marques of them. I’ve always worried about looking a bit of a sad old git in one. No idea why as it’s nobody else’s business, but it’s just a feeling. ASA usable modern classic that’s as good as anything.

The Elan really is a classic. Wonderful engineering. I saw one not to far back in that two tone red and white paint job. Couldn’t believe how small it was.

Ooohh now you are talking MX5 wise, super cars! I really love the new model...

But still as a petrol head and ex Alfa owner...there can be only one choice....

Classic car people on 00:11 - Mar 17 with 1544 viewsThe_Last_Baron

The price of classic cars today are obscene. Ten years ago you could pick up a great deal but now you have to pay well over the odds, even for restoration projects.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Classic car people on 07:05 - Mar 17 with 1530 viewsChurchman

Classic car people on 00:06 - Mar 17 by WicklowBlue

Ooohh now you are talking MX5 wise, super cars! I really love the new model...

But still as a petrol head and ex Alfa owner...there can be only one choice....

My dads brother had a white one of those. Sounded like an orchestra when he hit the pedal. Wonderful looking too.

Of the Italian cars, the one I’d have is a red Lancia Delta Integrale. Boring, unassuming little hatchback. Open the bonnet and oh my, Again, what a piece that of engineering. Shame they’re so fragile for this climate.
Classic car people on 07:40 - Mar 17 with 1526 viewsnoggin

Classic car people on 15:33 - Mar 16 by EdwardStone

I am glad you asked

I am just about to advertise my fine classic motor....1956 Gaz 69

Easy to drive, no-nonsense, go anywhere Russian Army utility truck

Stylish, comfortable and a joy to own

POA

""no-nonsense, go anywhere Russian"

Can it play in midfield?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Classic car people on 07:43 - Mar 17 with 1522 viewsEdwardStone

Classic car people on 07:40 - Mar 17 by noggin

""no-nonsense, go anywhere Russian"

Can it play in midfield?

It might be a better bet than some of our current players tbh
Classic car people on 07:52 - Mar 17 with 1518 viewsElephantintheRoom

Entirely depends what you like and what your budget is. And what you consider 'classic'. Choose wisely and you can watch your money grow in a far more interesting fashion than an ISA. Mostly they are a money pit - ad very frustrating to own.

The classic answer is an MGB - basically a twwo seat morris marina which is relatively cheap to maintain, and is eternally popular. The rolls royce owners club will assure you that an old(ish) roller is by far the best classic to buy... your biggest bills will be fuel - until something goes wrong, which it will.

Others would suggest a future classic - like a 4x4 golf which are relatively cheap for a superb car - with the added advantage of good build quality and reliability.

Try going to an auction - H&H do them twice yearly at the IWM Duxford - they are reat fun - and cheaper to get in than the museum which you can look at free while you are there.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Classic car people on 08:14 - Mar 17 with 1506 viewsPlums

Classic car people on 18:14 - Mar 16 by jeera

Ha. Like you I tried a few projects myself, some more successful than others.

One day a mate came over to repair a head gasket with me on my old van.

I was most impressed when he showed me how it should done, with an organised bench, labelling everything along the way and noting the order in which parts were removed.

I could then see how my impatience and lack of ability to follow proper instructions had hindered me in the past.

This sounds familiar. A mate and I ‘did the tappets’ on my Bedford CF but I’d forgotten to buy a new rocker cover gasket so we just stuck the old one on. Cue a week of small fires on the exhaust manifold until I got that changed. I’m not sure the tappets were any better either. I remember picking the big end shells out of the road when the engine eventually let go - fortunately outside the garage owned by my next door neighbour. How he must have wept with laughter at the ‘mending’ going on over the fence at times.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2021 12:14]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Classic car people on 08:52 - Mar 17 with 1496 viewsLeBlue

Classic car people on 18:41 - Mar 16 by dickie

I've got a 1972 Triumph Spitfire in the garage, I inherited it when my Mum died in 2007 and have lugged it around since then at various dwellings. For my wedding day I got it just about roadworthy and put a bent MOT on it but I haven't driven it since that day. It only wants about 1-2k spent on it to get out running well but it hasn't been a priority since having kids (2 seater!) and since we did our T4 camper conversion. One day in the future it'll be on the road (by which time I'll definitely be old enough for a midlife crisis), I'm almost tempted to do an EV conversion on it.

The ridiculous thing though is the amount of vehicles we've got - 2 cars, 1 classic and a 90s camper and only 2 of them are currently roadworthy

I had a 1971 Triumph Spitfire that met a sad demise. We were having building work done at home, so to keep it safe, I parked it outside my mother-in-law's. 2 other cars had a RTA on the road outside her house and one of them spun off the road and smashed the Spitfire against some railings.

I was so sad that day but, given the state of what was left of the Spitfire, glad I wasn't in it - was like a crushed can of pop.
Classic car people on 08:56 - Mar 17 with 1494 viewsElephantintheRoom

Classic car people on 15:59 - Mar 16 by EdwardStone

A moment on Google has been enlightening

In the tv series The Saint, Roger Moore, drove a Volvo

But in the 2 movies a different Saint drove a Jensen

Ian Ogilvy rather unwisely chose a Jag XJS when he was the saint.... poor old iceman was lumbered with a volvo coupe in his movie version, which maybe explains his plunge from stardom.

In the first saint movie, jack hawkins drove something entirely different and closer to the literary Saint's choice of a Hirondelle

For those with long memories (or DVD collections) The Baron drove an earlier Jensen when he was adventuring - and had a glamorous sidekick who hailed from Snape

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Classic car people on 17:45 - Mar 17 with 1432 viewsearlsgreenblue

I’ve got a totally original mk1 Seat Ibiza, in white, around the 10k miles mark, 1982 “Y” reg. 2 owners from new, sat in a dry secure garage, Phil up in Garneys Ipswich (Seat dealer) remembers the car new & had ordered the car seat covers ( still in bag) & various other bits at the point of Sale, longest journey it ever did was Stowmarket to Garneys for service, & only in the dry! Comes out only to free the clutch & brakes every couple of months, all the books & papers, had an everything service couple of years back, inc, brake fluid etc.
Whats it worth........£500 - £5000 - £15000 no idea whatsoever, surely with the system Porsche engine & now owned by VW has to be an appreciating classic? The VW element of that manufacturer & its rising empire suggests it will, time will tell!
Classic car people on 18:09 - Mar 17 with 1417 viewsbluelagos

I wish I had kept my:

50cc FS1M
Cortina M3
Capri M2

Cortina mk5 was first motor. Had a mind of it's own but still loved it.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Classic car people on 21:14 - Mar 17 with 1395 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Classic car people on 15:32 - Mar 16 by Ewan_Oozami

Reliant Scimitar - stylish British classic car with added frission of potential death every time you drive it - especially the 3 litre version...they are the Starfighters of the classic car world...

I used to work with a guy who had a really poorly maintained example. Terrifying to get a lift in.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Classic car people on 02:09 - Mar 18 with 1364 viewsCoastalblue

I wish I had kept my:

50cc FS1M
Cortina M3
Capri M2

I was going to buy a 'fizzie' cos they were the ones to have, about 2mph faster lol. Lad crashed it and wrecked it on the way to meet me and I ended up buying a DT50 instead.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Classic car people on 02:30 - Mar 18 with 1359 viewsjeera

Classic car people on 02:09 - Mar 18 by Coastalblue

I was going to buy a 'fizzie' cos they were the ones to have, about 2mph faster lol. Lad crashed it and wrecked it on the way to meet me and I ended up buying a DT50 instead.

Excuse me, but this was an FS1M I'll have you know.

Which meant a separate oil tank.

It was also a 1976 so before the days of restrictions.

2mph faster indeed!

Those DTs were posy little things though.

A mate had a DT125 and it flew!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Classic car people on 09:05 - Mar 18 with 1328 viewsChurchman

Classic car people on 18:09 - Mar 17 by bluelagos

Cortina mk5 was first motor. Had a mind of it's own but still loved it.

After passing his test my buddy at the time used to borrow his dad’s Mk3 Cortina. It was a red 2000GXL with a black vinyl roof, maroon interior, 4 headlights, rostyle wheel one.

My mate drove it like a maniac and by throwing the wheel over hard in a corner could ground it as it leaned over and send up a shower of sparks. Spectacular. I think we’d watched The Sweeney a few times! His dad was nuts to trust him with it.
Classic car people on 09:24 - Mar 18 with 1319 viewsearlsgreenblue

Classic car people on 02:30 - Mar 18 by jeera

Excuse me, but this was an FS1M I'll have you know.

Which meant a separate oil tank.

It was also a 1976 so before the days of restrictions.

2mph faster indeed!

Those DTs were posy little things though.

A mate had a DT125 and it flew!

FS1E ? Or a DX version with a front disc brake, mostly yellow tank with black stripe.
Classic car people on 14:29 - Mar 18 with 1289 viewssoupytwist

Classic car people on 21:14 - Mar 17 by Charlie_pl_baxter

I used to work with a guy who had a really poorly maintained example. Terrifying to get a lift in.

I always think that the Reliant Scimitar would have sold so much better if there had been some kind of celebrity endorsement of its capabilities, like a famous person getting caught speeding in one.

Fellow member of the venture scout troop I attended was killed in one in a head on collision when he was about 18.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024