Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. 09:37 - Mar 21 with 3916 viewsCheltenham_Blue

If I had to boil down everything from Evans that has left us in the abject position with seemingly uncaring players, then it's the absolute lack of Vision, Identity and of Leadership from Evans for his entire twelve years.

Clegg, Milne, O'Neil have all being mouthpieces with no real authority to run the club at all, on the basis, that Evans wants the final say on every decision, but doesn't actually have the time to be around the club all the time, nor does he want to be a figurehead of the club.

You simply can't have it both ways in that instance, its bad enough from a supporters perspective, but now imagine being a player with a man paying your wages who takes all the final decisions including on recruitment and player sales, but who you never see.

The mere fact that its Evans taking these decisions, must undermine the manager, be it Magilton, Keane, Jewell, McCarthy, Hurst, Lambert or Cook. Do we have a manager? or a Head Coach? If it's a Manager, let him manage all aspects of the club but its no longer clear. Sure, the manager identifies targets, but its Evans finishing the job off, same with outs, does anyone believe if Lambert had anything to do with it, that Jackson would still be here?

Where Evans lack of investment, or rather his penny pinching and corner cutting, does become a problem is that it does nothing except encourages player apathy.

Lambert spoke at length about how run down the training ground facilities had become, including of all things, the lack of re-decoration causing club logos and blue paintwork to become faded. We all know that the ground is in a similar state and deteriorating yearly.

Evans lack of investment for me, centres on the things that make us proud of our club and ultimately the things that make players proud to play for the club. Players, no matter who they are, need a club they can believe in and be proud of. Evans running down of stadia and training facilities, simply in order to save £20k here, £80k there, has cost us, and him, millions.

And yet he still refuses to see it. That for me, is why Evans must go at his first opportunity.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2021 9:39]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 09:55 - Mar 21 with 3692 viewsBobbychase

On a sort-of related note, not a good look from Kayden Jackson to be seen smirking behind Cook's back yesterday, when thousands of us are watching on iFollow.

Tell you what Kayden, when you do your job as a striker (not score one goal in 17 appearances this season and leave your teammates hanging with the red card v Sunderland), you can take the p*ss out of Cook for doing his. Until then...

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 09:58 - Mar 21 with 3658 viewshaynes_toe1

But as a fanbase Evans is never under any pressure. Towards the end of Lambert there was almost universal agreement that Evans was the bigger problem and something had to change.

As soon as he sacked Lambert and got Cook in it was 'wait and see' along with 'well he has made the right decision now' etc.

Evans knows if things get really difficult and fans start applying pressure on him all he has to do is change manager.
It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 09:58 - Mar 21 with 3662 viewsArnieM

This Club is in DESPERATE NEED of a TAKE OVER. Tbh nothing is as important as this single most important thing that could happen at this Club before next season.

If Evans remains the owner, Cook, like all his predecessors will fail, and this Club WILL DIE under Evans.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 09:59 - Mar 21 with 3650 viewswkj

I don't think it has anything to do with players not caring - I just think many of them just aren't very good.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 10:24 - Mar 21 with 3596 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 09:58 - Mar 21 by ArnieM

This Club is in DESPERATE NEED of a TAKE OVER. Tbh nothing is as important as this single most important thing that could happen at this Club before next season.

If Evans remains the owner, Cook, like all his predecessors will fail, and this Club WILL DIE under Evans.

Has to be the right people though.

Not easy to find.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 10:25 - Mar 21 with 3594 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 09:58 - Mar 21 by haynes_toe1

But as a fanbase Evans is never under any pressure. Towards the end of Lambert there was almost universal agreement that Evans was the bigger problem and something had to change.

As soon as he sacked Lambert and got Cook in it was 'wait and see' along with 'well he has made the right decision now' etc.

Evans knows if things get really difficult and fans start applying pressure on him all he has to do is change manager.

Need to see what Cook can do with a pre-season and some of his own recruitment.

We have had a squad that hasn't attempted to play decent football in over a decade now, it's not going to happen over night.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 10:27 - Mar 21 with 3607 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 09:55 - Mar 21 by Bobbychase

On a sort-of related note, not a good look from Kayden Jackson to be seen smirking behind Cook's back yesterday, when thousands of us are watching on iFollow.

Tell you what Kayden, when you do your job as a striker (not score one goal in 17 appearances this season and leave your teammates hanging with the red card v Sunderland), you can take the p*ss out of Cook for doing his. Until then...

I think Kayden has bags of potential.

But when you also have someone who appeared on Judge Rinder for 'kissing a granny', you have to question his personality.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2021 10:27]

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 10:31 - Mar 21 with 3558 viewsBlueBorn86

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 10:25 - Mar 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

We have had a squad that hasn't attempted to play decent football in over a decade now, it's not going to happen over night.

We virtually need a whole new squad and I don’t think Evans is going to bankroll that. We will have a squad of freebies and loans! A takeover is crucial but you are right it needs to be the correct buyer.
Login to get fewer ads

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 10:32 - Mar 21 with 3539 viewshaynes_toe1

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 10:25 - Mar 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

I agree in terms of playing style.

But in terms of the players showing a bit more resilience, better mentality etc - need to see something resembling a positive influence before the end of the season for me to have confidence.
It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 12:34 - Mar 21 with 3413 viewsSteve_D

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 10:32 - Mar 21 by haynes_toe1

I agree in terms of playing style.

But in terms of the players showing a bit more resilience, better mentality etc - need to see something resembling a positive influence before the end of the season for me to have confidence.

Why would the players care , they. know they are not going to be replaced or put under any pressure as M E will not invest in in playing staff so if they are still under contract they are on easy street , as for a end of season clear out Paul Cook will never get the money he needs to make this a decent squad unless this so called takeover ever comes about
It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 12:55 - Mar 21 with 3380 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Yes. Time to get the #Evansout campaign rolling

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 13:23 - Mar 21 with 3342 viewsHARRY10

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 09:55 - Mar 21 by Bobbychase

I wonder if that was the attitude and type of behaviour that had Lambert removing Jackson from the first team training ?

The club seems to get in too many 'jack the lads' who may have talent, but are not committed professionals.....Taylor, Chopra, Bullard. Too many of our youngsters who believe the hype, but never really deliver.

We need a huge clear out this summer, if only to change the mindset of the squad, and the club. The wage bill is not warranted by the team achievements.

If players are not self motivated, they should not be here. And with a season with reduced income I cannot see us keep mediocre players on the wages they are on. If their contract is up they should not be kept. Let them see how well they will be paid elsewhere.

And PC needs to put this over bluntly this week. Earn the right to be here, or find a job elsewhere.
It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 13:37 - Mar 21 with 3314 viewsabracaDOBRA_

FWIW I saw that and didn't really think anything of it. It wasn't aimed at Cook was it? Just thought he was chatting to other subs and was laughing at something they said...

What did you think he was taking the piss out of Cook for? Genuine question as took it completely different way to you
It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 13:43 - Mar 21 with 3294 viewsJ2BLUE

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 10:24 - Mar 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

Has to be the right people though.

Not easy to find.

We are never going to know they are the right people.

I posted this on another thread, sorry to BlueBadger but I can't be bothered to explain again:

Evans is the Titanic.

The managers are the bloke rearranging the deckchairs.

The fact is, whatever short term solutions a manager might find, this club is going to have taken on more water in another five years and it will be even harder to turn around.

Some people standing on the deck saw a rescue boat coming and screamed "No! I'm not getting on that, it might sink!" while the boat they are on takes on more and more water.

Other said "It's not the fault of that nice Mr Evans, he has bailed at least three bathtubs of water in the last hour" while the boat they are on slowly sinks.

We NEED a takeover. It's never going to be a well known and respected Town fan who has become a billionaire by uploading cute cat videos to Youtube who wants nothing in return and is doing in for the love of the club. We need to be realistic.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 13:51 - Mar 21 with 3285 viewsbobbyramsey

The squad is poor, bloated and pampered, that's about it....

[Post edited 21 Mar 2021 15:23]
It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 15:29 - Mar 21 with 3193 viewsGarv

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 10:27 - Mar 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

But when you also have someone who appeared on Judge Rinder for 'kissing a granny', you have to question his personality.

Jackson's also useful because he's someone you can actually accuse of looking like a competition winner, because he is.

Tongue in cheek obviously...

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 15:32 - Mar 21 with 3186 viewsGarv

A lack of care is what it all points to for me, so I make you pretty much spot on.

The only thing I disagree with is him getting too involved in recruitment. From the outside looking in, I don't think there's any recruitment structure or plan. It's just whoever the manager is at the time recruiting players he likes, and not much more. It appears to me that we want to let the manager run the club on their own. They need that buzzword 'structure'.

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 15:45 - Mar 21 with 3153 viewsmrshallisfit

He is a horrible, talentless dumbf@@k whose only glory moment was on Judge Rinder.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2021 15:56]
It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 15:56 - Mar 21 with 3121 viewsRegencyBlue

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 15:32 - Mar 21 by Garv

A lack of care is what it all points to for me, so I make you pretty much spot on.

The only thing I disagree with is him getting too involved in recruitment. From the outside looking in, I don't think there's any recruitment structure or plan. It's just whoever the manager is at the time recruiting players he likes, and not much more. It appears to me that we want to let the manager run the club on their own. They need that buzzword 'structure'.

It’s down to Evans to provide the funding for those player choices though.

Our recruitment is slow and we cannot or will not pay for the quality we need. Instead we end up with more sick notes, players coming to the end of their careers and players no one else is interested in because they are not good enough. Do you really think Ward and Hawkins were Lamberts first choices for this season?

There is one constant in our relentless decline over the last thirteen years and that is our illustrious owner. Expect more of the same whilst he remains!
It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 16:21 - Mar 21 with 3081 viewsIllinoisblue

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 10:27 - Mar 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

Potential? He’s 27 ffs.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 16:30 - Mar 21 with 3066 viewsChurchman

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 16:21 - Mar 21 by Illinoisblue

Potential? He’s 27 ffs.

At 27 Jackson’s got no more potential. He won’t get any better. He is in his prime. Jeez.
It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 19:05 - Mar 21 with 2975 viewsGarv

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 15:56 - Mar 21 by RegencyBlue

It’s down to Evans to provide the funding for those player choices though.

Our recruitment is slow and we cannot or will not pay for the quality we need. Instead we end up with more sick notes, players coming to the end of their careers and players no one else is interested in because they are not good enough. Do you really think Ward and Hawkins were Lamberts first choices for this season?

There is one constant in our relentless decline over the last thirteen years and that is our illustrious owner. Expect more of the same whilst he remains!

You make a good point.

We assume managers sign players who are their first choice. No, they sign players they can. Lamberts signings were generally good enough, it's Hurst's that are letting us down still (and those left over from Mick's time, not than I'm necessarily blaming him for that, they're just getting too old).

And I agree. If Evans stays on I can see Cook going the same way as Keane, Jewell and Lambert.

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 23:34 - Mar 21 with 2865 viewseddiespearitt03

As " Harry" pointed out, that Paul Cook should tell the players to earn the right to be here.

It could be a thing footballers do at most clubs. Put a few shifts in to earn the right. Usually around the time their contract is coming to an end or to gain the trust of a new manager. Just look how many new managers we have had at this club in recent years.
The fact that Evans has watched plenty of these abysmal games and still awards a renewed contract is baffling. Then sacks the manager who favored and recommended who should get another contract. The decline continues under a new manager who inherits the previous managers squad. This is where we are under Marcus Evans.
It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 14:03 - Apr 30 with 2506 viewsTieDyedIn95

Considering Cook brought him back from the youth team as well...

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

It's all going wrong from the top, and its why the players don't seem to care. on 15:05 - Apr 30 with 2437 viewsdirtyboy

For the very first time.

Ever.

I now see why people bemoaning Evan's lack of ambition was an issue. (I apologise to those people too).

The reason being that it did appear to filter down the club that the owner wasn't hands on, so why would you care if it wasn't clearly obvious that the person paying your wages cared?

And quite simply, us fans would blame the manager, the manager would go and here we find ourselves again.

The new owners will be more demanding, they'll be putting pressure on the manager, not the fans as such. The manager will be able to pass that onto the players and the culture changes.

I think even if we do end up with a fair few of our current players staying on, the shift in structure and vision will change things dramatically.

The lack of contracts being renewed created a weird feeling that players wouldn't have felt the club cared, why would they care, irrespective of the "playing for their careers" mantra, it's hard to motivate oneself when it's not part of an overall plan.

Now we are just 'stuck in a rut' and can't find a way out, that could have possibly been stopped and the players we have may have been fine, but now we do need those wholesale changes.

I think Evans, for all he did, got it wrong and didn't have the drive and visible enthusiasm that filters down from the very top.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024