Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jackson for Bennetts 10:30 - Mar 21 with 2315 viewsKeaneish

Think this would be the only change I’d make next week. If we’re going to start defending in a 4-4-2 when out of possession, I think we’re moving toward a flexible system to get Jackson into the side regularly. He’d certainly be far more influential than Bennetts and it’d allow him to partner Norwood. Add Dobra to the bench on a regular basis and that’d do me nicely.

Thought Toto had his best game for us too. Cook seems to be coaching him to be more comfortable on the ball and he grew in confidence yesterday. Thought his positioning was excellent throughout, notable with the lack of last ditch diving tackles or blocks. Pretty faultless for the first time in ages. Looks to have edged ahead of Wilson in the pecking order.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Jackson for Bennetts on 10:33 - Mar 21 with 1734 viewsZXBlue

Toto has been fine all season.

The abuse he gets is hard to understand and born of pre existing assumptions.
Jackson for Bennetts on 10:35 - Mar 21 with 1718 viewsStokieBlue

Bennetts was good in the first half though and defending very well in the 442. He was often the highest player up the pitch and was pressurising the defenders. He was knackered in the second half. Obviously need to get him to do it for a full match but a few on here noticed at the time the shift he was putting in.

I don't think the evidence from the match supports much of that post I'm afraid.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Jackson for Bennetts on 10:37 - Mar 21 with 1702 viewspointofblue

Jackson cannot play out wide - I’m not sure how many times he has to fail there before that becomes obvious. He has promise in a two but otherwise is ineffectual.

The lacking midfielder is the big issue we need to address. Wigan’s pitch will no doubt be a bog due to rugby being played on it which doesn’t suit us, as we’re skilful but lightweight. I don’t think Dozzell, Bishop and Judge work as a three but cannot see a way around it unless we try something radical like bring Huws back from the cold or stick Woolfenden in there.

Cook was critical of the ‘back six’ yesterday for conceding the equaliser; I’m not sure who the sixth member would be and wonder if that insinuates a change or two next Saturday.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Jackson for Bennetts on 10:44 - Mar 21 with 1686 viewsChrisd

Those 3 behind Norwood are crucial, Jackson isn't a wide player and never will be. Yes we keep hearing he's quick, but you also have to have a bit of footballing nous in those wide areas and I just don't think he's got that. Unless we play two up top, for me Jackson doesn't fit into the side. Continue to play AJ in that No.10 role, but it's who you play either side of him. If it was Edwards from earlier in the season then he'd be a definite starter on that left side, but he's not delivering that same level of performance. Then on the other side who knows? Bennetts flatters to deceive and yes I know Lankester is one of our young players, but if we are all being honest he's not been the same since he's returned from injury, so you can't select him because of sentimental reasons. Ultimately, this doesn't leave us with many options, even the loans in Harrop and Thomas have hugely underwhelmed. PC has more questions than answers currently. What was more encouraging was at least he's playing players in their natural positions instead of trying to shoehorn them in to get them in the side.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2021 10:59]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Jackson for Bennetts on 10:46 - Mar 21 with 1672 viewsKeaneish

Jackson for Bennetts on 10:33 - Mar 21 by ZXBlue

Toto hasn’t been fine all season in my opinion. He’s been found wanting positionally many a time and he’s been ineffective on the ball.

Jackson for Bennetts on 10:50 - Mar 21 with 1659 viewsKeaneish

Jackson for Bennetts on 10:37 - Mar 21 by pointofblue

Jackson cannot play out wide - I’m not sure how many times he has to fail there before that becomes obvious. He has promise in a two but otherwise is ineffectual.

The lacking midfielder is the big issue we need to address. Wigan’s pitch will no doubt be a bog due to rugby being played on it which doesn’t suit us, as we’re skilful but lightweight. I don’t think Dozzell, Bishop and Judge work as a three but cannot see a way around it unless we try something radical like bring Huws back from the cold or stick Woolfenden in there.

Cook was critical of the ‘back six’ yesterday for conceding the equaliser; I’m not sure who the sixth member would be and wonder if that insinuates a change or two next Saturday.

...Jackson naturally makes all his runs into the channels and he doesn’t need to play as a wide winger if we have overlapping full backs. Bennetts played more narrow at times yesterday to be closer to Norwood and I see Jackson filling this role quite comfortably in future.

Jackson for Bennetts on 10:56 - Mar 21 with 1639 viewsKeaneish

Jackson for Bennetts on 10:35 - Mar 21 by StokieBlue

Bennetts was good in the first half though and defending very well in the 442. He was often the highest player up the pitch and was pressurising the defenders. He was knackered in the second half. Obviously need to get him to do it for a full match but a few on here noticed at the time the shift he was putting in.

I don't think the evidence from the match supports much of that post I'm afraid.

SB

I thought Bennetts was the poorest player in our side by some distance in the first half. Kept his shape well but time and time again he seems to lack confidence in the right areas. That might improve with a bit of coaching but I’d rather Jackson’s pace and partnership was the highest threat up the pitch than Bennetts indecision and often poor choices or execution.

Jackson for Bennetts on 11:06 - Mar 21 with 1620 viewsipswichtillidie

Bennett’s is so frustrating as a player. There’s a special player in there but his decision making and end product time and time again are left wanting. For me you can juggle the team around as much as you want most of them ain’t good enough to be Ipswich players. We are overrated and ain’t as good as the hype! (top 2! Joke) we no consistency and every player has shown at times they are good enough but frustratingly more than not show they are not!

Gav

Login to get fewer ads

Jackson for Bennetts on 11:25 - Mar 21 with 1589 viewsTractorFrog

Jackson for Bennetts on 10:33 - Mar 21 by ZXBlue

Toto has been brilliant since he returned to the side, but I think a lot of it is because of his good partnership with Wilson. As much as I like Chambers and Woolfenden, we should not break up the current CB duo unless one (or both) of them drop off in form, which they haven't done yet.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

Jackson for Bennetts on 11:30 - Mar 21 with 1574 viewsKeaneish

Jackson for Bennetts on 11:25 - Mar 21 by TractorFrog

Toto has been brilliant since he returned to the side, but I think a lot of it is because of his good partnership with Wilson. As much as I like Chambers and Woolfenden, we should not break up the current CB duo unless one (or both) of them drop off in form, which they haven't done yet.

In recent games, Toto was at fault for Gillingham’s second and made three mistakes in one move to give Fleetwood the opportunity for their second too. I’m in favour of not breaking up partnerships if they’re sound but Wilson and Toto as a pair have too many flaws. With KVY coming back, one will be making way for Chambers.

Jackson for Bennetts on 11:33 - Mar 21 with 1560 viewsRadlett_blue

Jackson for Bennetts on 10:46 - Mar 21 by Keaneish

Toto hasn’t been fine all season in my opinion. He’s been found wanting positionally many a time and he’s been ineffective on the ball.

Toto was decent yesterday. Cook managed him at Accrington & I think he's well aware of his strengths & weaknesses. It's been noticeable that once he gets the ball now, he gets rid of it quickly which should be his game (he's not a ball player) & it fits with Cook's wish for Town to play with a higher tempo. Even if this does lead to some pointless hoofing, it's better than Toto dwelling on the ball for several seconds & then going long once everyone's marked.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Jackson for Bennetts on 11:42 - Mar 21 with 1548 viewsKeaneish

Jackson for Bennetts on 11:33 - Mar 21 by Radlett_blue

Toto was decent yesterday. Cook managed him at Accrington & I think he's well aware of his strengths & weaknesses. It's been noticeable that once he gets the ball now, he gets rid of it quickly which should be his game (he's not a ball player) & it fits with Cook's wish for Town to play with a higher tempo. Even if this does lead to some pointless hoofing, it's better than Toto dwelling on the ball for several seconds & then going long once everyone's marked.

It’s notable that in the last few games especially, sides have pressed Toto and Wilson quickly. They are being targeted for sure.

Jackson for Bennetts on 11:57 - Mar 21 with 1516 viewsStokieBlue

Jackson for Bennetts on 10:56 - Mar 21 by Keaneish

I thought Bennetts was the poorest player in our side by some distance in the first half. Kept his shape well but time and time again he seems to lack confidence in the right areas. That might improve with a bit of coaching but I’d rather Jackson’s pace and partnership was the highest threat up the pitch than Bennetts indecision and often poor choices or execution.

I can't agree with that, however it is interesting how people see the game differently. Perhaps an internal bias towards certain players or types of players might explain it.

HIs job in the first half was to clearly close down the defence (something you are advocating in your opening post) which he did well yet you are focusing on other aspects of his performance and not mentioning that at all. You could literally hear Cook yelling at him to do that and you could see Bennetts communicating back to Cook.

Defenders seem far more worried when Bennetts has the ball than most our other forwards, the end product might not be there yet but anything to cause some panic is better than nothing.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Jackson for Bennetts on 12:03 - Mar 21 with 1507 viewsRadlett_blue

Jackson for Bennetts on 11:57 - Mar 21 by StokieBlue

I can't agree with that, however it is interesting how people see the game differently. Perhaps an internal bias towards certain players or types of players might explain it.

HIs job in the first half was to clearly close down the defence (something you are advocating in your opening post) which he did well yet you are focusing on other aspects of his performance and not mentioning that at all. You could literally hear Cook yelling at him to do that and you could see Bennetts communicating back to Cook.

Defenders seem far more worried when Bennetts has the ball than most our other forwards, the end product might not be there yet but anything to cause some panic is better than nothing.

SB

the player ratings are a case in point. KVY was apparently our 2nd best player yesterday, although all he achieved was one run down the wing, followed by a poor cross & he unsurprisingly looked rusty. Bennetts was our 2nd worst starting player, which was absurd as he looked a threat when on the ball.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Jackson for Bennetts on 12:08 - Mar 21 with 1503 viewsSimonds92

Bennetts and Bishop are the only ball carriers we have in the team. His end product isn't great at the minute but really think he could come good. If we're taking someone out of that team it would have to be Edwards if he's low on confidence he doesnt add anything.
Jackson for Bennetts on 12:13 - Mar 21 with 1488 viewsKeaneish

Jackson for Bennetts on 11:57 - Mar 21 by StokieBlue

SB

But defending from the front is only part of his job and it should be a mandatory. We’ve been poor at creating chances from open play and in every appearance he’s had, he’s not been effective. I like his potential, it’s there for all to see but right now, we need players to deliver. If he starts to go that, fine but he’s running out of time and chances and he’s off back to Germany soon.

Jackson for Bennetts on 12:24 - Mar 21 with 1475 viewsDennyx4

I guess we all see things differently, but Bennetts was the reason we had a good first half. Pressed up high and stopped their full back from getting forward.

He was the only player that Portsmouth were worried about, and deserves to be in the team next week. Thought he had a very good first half, but lacked the fitness to keep up the pressing. Sadly the pressing dropped off in the second half, even with the fresh legs that were introduced (Dobra, Jackson & Parrott).

Thought Judge was poor again yesterday, and slowed our attacks down, by playing the simple ball, rather than an attacking pass.

Toto does what he is good at, which is attack the ball - he is different from all our other defenders in this regard, but this positive can also be his weakness. See ball go for it, seems to be the motto - unsettles forwards, but also gives away rash free-kicks / penalties. We miss him horribly, if a team goes direct and he isn't playing.

Was looking at some stats earlier and interestingly in League games this season Wilson has only ever played with Toto as his partner in central defence. Toto however has played with Woolfy & Mcguinness too.
Jackson for Bennetts on 12:59 - Mar 21 with 1411 viewsKeaneish

Jackson for Bennetts on 12:24 - Mar 21 by Dennyx4

I guess we all see things differently, but Bennetts was the reason we had a good first half. Pressed up high and stopped their full back from getting forward.

He was the only player that Portsmouth were worried about, and deserves to be in the team next week. Thought he had a very good first half, but lacked the fitness to keep up the pressing. Sadly the pressing dropped off in the second half, even with the fresh legs that were introduced (Dobra, Jackson & Parrott).

Thought Judge was poor again yesterday, and slowed our attacks down, by playing the simple ball, rather than an attacking pass.

Toto does what he is good at, which is attack the ball - he is different from all our other defenders in this regard, but this positive can also be his weakness. See ball go for it, seems to be the motto - unsettles forwards, but also gives away rash free-kicks / penalties. We miss him horribly, if a team goes direct and he isn't playing.

Was looking at some stats earlier and interestingly in League games this season Wilson has only ever played with Toto as his partner in central defence. Toto however has played with Woolfy & Mcguinness too.

I thought the urgency and press all over the pitch coupled with the defensive high line to squeeze the play was the reason we had such a good first half. We forced so many errors from them. Bennetts was a part of this success but it wasn’t exclusively him in my view. He’l likely get more starts but needs to do more.

Jackson for Bennetts on 13:42 - Mar 21 with 1356 viewsGarv

Disagree that he'd necessarily be far more influential than Bennetts. The latter has a good touch and faces defenders up while providing an outlet to get us up the pitch. And he's one of the only ones occasionally willing to let from distance, and he's got quality in that sense, albeit we haven't seen it enough.

Jackson doesn't lend himself to a possession based game either, I'd argue.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Jackson for Bennetts on 17:16 - Mar 21 with 1241 viewschrismakin

I like Bennetts I really do, he was taking a lot of guidance from Cook yesturday and it showed, he made some very good runs, took away the defenders and made space for Norwood and Edwards.

Sadly, HT seemed to ruin his momentum and we never got him in the game second half.

I think Cook likes him, he's a cook sort of player,

IMO we don't have a better wide option from those available.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Jackson for Bennetts on 17:24 - Mar 21 with 1228 views3_5_2

Jackson for Bennetts on 11:33 - Mar 21 by Radlett_blue

I thought that re: Toto seemed to have been told to get it under control and pass it quickly

I have never had a problem with CB's whose main role is to win the ball (air or deck) then give it to players quickly who can do more with it

I am not a massive fan of his but to fair, he has done ok recently and certainly has the physicality required in this horrible league

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Jackson for Bennetts on 17:25 - Mar 21 with 1222 viewshaynes_toe1

Bennetts was one of our better first half players. Weird take from the OP.
Jackson for Bennetts on 18:07 - Mar 21 with 1207 viewsKeaneish

Jackson for Bennetts on 17:25 - Mar 21 by haynes_toe1

Bennetts was one of our better first half players. Weird take from the OP.

Given he was the one subbed whereas everyone was putting in as much of a shift as each other, I think Cook thought otherwise.

Jackson for Bennetts on 18:10 - Mar 21 with 1199 viewschrismakin

Jackson for Bennetts on 18:07 - Mar 21 by Keaneish

Given he was the one subbed whereas everyone was putting in as much of a shift as each other, I think Cook thought otherwise.

He wasn't subbed until the 59th Minute, which at that point it was the right sub.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Jackson for Bennetts on 18:14 - Mar 21 with 1187 viewsHerbivore

Jackson for Bennetts on 10:37 - Mar 21 by pointofblue

Jackson has played wide for us about 3 times. The idea that there's no way he can play as a wide forward isn't based on much hard evidence.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024