Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Don’t shoot the messenger 09:10 - Mar 26 with 15390 viewsParky

I have just been sent a text from somebody who has previously been spot on with info, saying that Paul Cook sent the players home Wednesday midway through training due to lack of effort and intensity.

Apparently all the players left as told, meaning the lunch that was cooked/made had to be donated to the Samaritans.

If true, slightly concerning, but fair play to Cook.

Edit - Clarified this was Wednesday, not yesterday.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2021 9:33]
Don’t shoot the messenger on 10:41 - Mar 26 with 2056 viewstextbackup

Don’t shoot the messenger on 10:35 - Mar 26 by Guthrum

It's the same psychological mechanisms, irrespective of the situation. And 'wake the fck up' is not a viable approach when it comes to dealing with mentality problems.

have to agree to disagree on this one.

im not having them get off easily playing the mental health card. they've been a huge bunch of let downs for a years now.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Don’t shoot the messenger on 10:46 - Mar 26 with 2029 viewsWeWereZombies

Don’t shoot the messenger on 10:28 - Mar 26 by Guthrum

If players actually want to move elsewhere because they think it'll be a cushier number, then it is probably best to let them go. Cook has, after all, said it is a clean slate for all of them (and welcomed Jackson back into the fold).

Indeed, it is pointless them being here if not prepared to buy into the Paul Cook project.

I don't think McGoldrick departed for Sheffield United because he thought it would be a cushier number, he wanted to make the best of his talents whilst he was able. On a lesser note (well maybe not, time will tell) Jordan Rhodes could not even get into a Third Division side but is now a regular in a Scottish Premiership team, still under contract to Hearts but they will get promoted this season so I guess they have put him out on loan as the squad member most likely to become a useful playmaker in the top flight - and he will be motivated by getting into a more glamorous shop window for the betterment of his career.

See also Waghorn, Garner, even Harrison seems to be better off at Portsmouth than he was here. Sure some of those released this summer will disappear without trace, it is an unfortunate truth about football even in the best of times. I won't be surprised if others we thought were useless turn out to do well at a higher level though. All of us supporters cannot imagine anyone wanting to play for another club over Town, and when the players sign they talk about us being a big club, great set of supporters, kiss the badge etc. but we should not forget that even if they do not have a perspective on their short careers there are people who depend upon them or who rely on them for an income that do know the finiteness of the resource.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Don’t shoot the messenger on 10:49 - Mar 26 with 2007 viewsStewart27

Don’t shoot the messenger on 09:31 - Mar 26 by Herbivore

Christ, so more or less straight after the new manager has said he was disappointed they couldn't train with the intensity he'd hoped, they put in a lacklustre effort. I guess this is what happens when you have a huge first team squad where half won't be here next season, where the fitness coach is working from home, and they've had two years of nothing but negativity from the manager. What a mess.

None of your reasons blame the players themselves. Huge squad, fitness coach, ex manager.

These are grown adults who get paid a vast sum of money who should be out to impress their manager, earn their contract and give back to the long suffering fans.

If true then it’s disgraceful and they should be ashamed of themselves.
Don’t shoot the messenger on 10:55 - Mar 26 with 1978 viewsGuthrum

Don’t shoot the messenger on 10:41 - Mar 26 by textbackup

im not having them get off easily playing the mental health card. they've been a huge bunch of let downs for a years now.

It's not a matter of getting off easily, so much as a technical issue which has to be sorted asap.

And we do need to see the squad working on that as hard as possible. No excuses for failing to put everything into turning it around now that the driving force* is there.

* which I do think Cook possesses.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:04 - Mar 26 with 1935 viewsGuthrum

Don’t shoot the messenger on 10:46 - Mar 26 by WeWereZombies

I don't think McGoldrick departed for Sheffield United because he thought it would be a cushier number, he wanted to make the best of his talents whilst he was able. On a lesser note (well maybe not, time will tell) Jordan Rhodes could not even get into a Third Division side but is now a regular in a Scottish Premiership team, still under contract to Hearts but they will get promoted this season so I guess they have put him out on loan as the squad member most likely to become a useful playmaker in the top flight - and he will be motivated by getting into a more glamorous shop window for the betterment of his career.

See also Waghorn, Garner, even Harrison seems to be better off at Portsmouth than he was here. Sure some of those released this summer will disappear without trace, it is an unfortunate truth about football even in the best of times. I won't be surprised if others we thought were useless turn out to do well at a higher level though. All of us supporters cannot imagine anyone wanting to play for another club over Town, and when the players sign they talk about us being a big club, great set of supporters, kiss the badge etc. but we should not forget that even if they do not have a perspective on their short careers there are people who depend upon them or who rely on them for an income that do know the finiteness of the resource.

Agree with all of that. Tho for McGoldrick, Waghorn and Garner it might have been more the case that the club were swapping someone they thought a good manager for one they weren't so impressed by. Whereas in the present situation (which was what I was thinking of), Lambert only had a record of failure at Town and Cook seems to be the one wanting to gee things up.

Something as simple as a change of scene can transform a player's output. Look at Conor Hourihane, for example.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:04 - Mar 26 with 1938 viewssoupytwist

Don’t shoot the messenger on 09:59 - Mar 26 by textbackup

how are other clubs dealing with it?

because that sounds such a 2021 cop out answer to me.

majority of people are gagging to exercise/gym/play football to better their mental state, yet we get stuck with a group of 30/40 of fcking no hopes/drips/losers that are shrinking and shaking in the corner whilst doing so.

fck 'em, cant wait to see the back of them

Here's what Hereford are doing - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/26/hereford-josh-gowling-fa-trophy

I wonder how long Hurst or Lambert would have survived in a CoD session against the players?
Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:24 - Mar 26 with 1877 viewsHarry_Palmer

Fitness is definitely an issue with this squad. It was noticeable against Portsmouth that there was a big difference between us and them. Pompey were still full of energy at 90 mins whereas most of our team looked dead on their feet.

It has been said all season that we only play with the right intensity for small spells in games and since Cook has arrived it has been even more apparent that they cannot maintain the level of energy required to carry out his game plan for 90 mins. This is perhaps why we have seen good 1st half performances followed by a flat 2nd half, Plymouth at home being another prime example.

At least Cook will now be patently aware of this and we can expect a very different scenario next year after a full pre-season.
Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:30 - Mar 26 with 1830 viewsHerbivore

Don’t shoot the messenger on 10:27 - Mar 26 by Wallingford_Boy

He is ALWAYS right, we are all idiots!

Glad to see you're getting there.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:32 - Mar 26 with 1822 viewsHerbivore

Don’t shoot the messenger on 10:38 - Mar 26 by noggin

Why the down vote Wally? Seems pretty random.

Wally has his panties firmly in a bunch because I disagree with his views sometimes. It's a bit sad really.

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:32 - Mar 26 with 1820 viewsHerbivore

Don’t shoot the messenger on 10:41 - Mar 26 by textbackup

Toxic masculinity bingo right here.

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:37 - Mar 26 with 1789 viewstextbackup

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:32 - Mar 26 by Herbivore

Toxic masculinity bingo right here.

honestly couldn't careless.

heart goes out to those that genuinely suffer, but for this bunch of losers to get off the hook using it wont wash.

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:41 - Mar 26 with 1771 viewsHerbivore

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:24 - Mar 26 by Harry_Palmer

Fitness is definitely an issue with this squad. It was noticeable against Portsmouth that there was a big difference between us and them. Pompey were still full of energy at 90 mins whereas most of our team looked dead on their feet.

It has been said all season that we only play with the right intensity for small spells in games and since Cook has arrived it has been even more apparent that they cannot maintain the level of energy required to carry out his game plan for 90 mins. This is perhaps why we have seen good 1st half performances followed by a flat 2nd half, Plymouth at home being another prime example.

At least Cook will now be patently aware of this and we can expect a very different scenario next year after a full pre-season.

It might also help to account for why we get so many soft tissue injuries. The fact that after one double session on Monday they weren't able to train at any inte sity in the Tuesday is a bit worrying to say the least. I know the games have come thick and fast but most of the squad haven't played all of those games. We also essentially had a 3 week break over Christmas and New Year.

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:42 - Mar 26 with 1767 viewsIllinoisblue

Someone needs to edit the ITFC Wikipedia page and change professional to amateur

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:43 - Mar 26 with 1757 viewsfooters

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:41 - Mar 26 by Herbivore

It might also help to account for why we get so many soft tissue injuries. The fact that after one double session on Monday they weren't able to train at any inte sity in the Tuesday is a bit worrying to say the least. I know the games have come thick and fast but most of the squad haven't played all of those games. We also essentially had a 3 week break over Christmas and New Year.

This is what I'm having trouble with. These players are professional athletes. Why can't they hack running about on the grass for a few sessions? The mind boggles. It's not like they have any other duties aside from playing football.

Still, nice work if you can get it.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:45 - Mar 26 with 1757 viewshype313

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:41 - Mar 26 by Herbivore

I've heard a whisper that Cook was shocked at how bad our fitness levels were/are

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:47 - Mar 26 with 1727 viewsWallingford_Boy

Don’t shoot the messenger on 10:38 - Mar 26 by noggin

Why the down vote Wally? Seems pretty random.

mistake, meant to downvote another of "his" posts.

But cba.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2021 11:50]

RIP Sir Bobby

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:52 - Mar 26 with 1686 viewsWallingford_Boy

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:32 - Mar 26 by Herbivore

Wally has his panties firmly in a bunch because I disagree with his views sometimes. It's a bit sad really.

Seems a few others on here share my knicker twisting thoughts about your patronising, fight-picking, posting style, x.

RIP Sir Bobby

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:54 - Mar 26 with 1690 viewsitfcjoe

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:45 - Mar 26 by hype313

I've heard a whisper that Cook was shocked at how bad our fitness levels were/are

Who'd have thought that giving the players 6 months off without any proper programmes, and then basically not speaking to them for that whole time would have been an issue?

Who'd have thought sacking your fitness coach and opting to go without one and have assistant manager and coaches doing the warm up rather than trained professionals would have been an issue?

Who'd have thought that the toughest scheduled season in reality would have required some really precise and important workload management?

None of this is good, but as Clive said earlier in the thread, Lambert had checked out of the job when lockdown hit - the result is we are now massively undercooked and there is no time to sort that.

Players coming back in under and overweight after the summer....

No disrespect to Chambers and Skuse, but should they have been in the top 4-5 in all the fitness tests when they came back? The fact they were shows it's just reliant on those who can look after themselves to do so

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Don’t shoot the messenger on 12:01 - Mar 26 with 1629 viewsclive_baker

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:24 - Mar 26 by Harry_Palmer

100%

I would say it's more to do with fitness and less to do with application to be honest. I've never really prescribed to the idea that its a wholesale lack of effort for everyone, we don't look like a side that lacks effort and I think the previous manager has to take a lot of responsibility for the recent shortcomings. There's personal responsibility on the players of course, but you'll never be match fit unless you're given the tools within the club to get there . People have been saying that for years the players don't care. We never won a derby match under Mick because the players didn't care enough, which was b0llocks then and is now. We just weren't as good as them. It might be the case for some of course, but by and large I think in the Championship we weren't good enough. And over the past 2 seasons we've been let down by physical condition, set up, our overly intricate style of play and spectacular mis-management.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2021 12:07]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Don’t shoot the messenger on 12:01 - Mar 26 with 1628 viewsKieran_Knows

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:45 - Mar 26 by hype313

When lockdown first happened last March, and everything was cancelled, our first team players were told 'to keep active'. That was it, no plans, no nothing.

Whereas the youth team players all had proper plans written up etc.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Don’t shoot the messenger on 12:03 - Mar 26 with 1612 viewstextbackup

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:54 - Mar 26 by itfcjoe

Who'd have thought that giving the players 6 months off without any proper programmes, and then basically not speaking to them for that whole time would have been an issue?

Who'd have thought sacking your fitness coach and opting to go without one and have assistant manager and coaches doing the warm up rather than trained professionals would have been an issue?

Who'd have thought that the toughest scheduled season in reality would have required some really precise and important workload management?

None of this is good, but as Clive said earlier in the thread, Lambert had checked out of the job when lockdown hit - the result is we are now massively undercooked and there is no time to sort that.

No disrespect to Chambers and Skuse, but should they have been in the top 4-5 in all the fitness tests when they came back? The fact they were shows it's just reliant on those who can look after themselves to do so

them two are in great shape for their ages, and hats off to them for the personal pride they take.

huge chunk of the rest are pathetic excuses for footballers.

Don’t shoot the messenger on 12:05 - Mar 26 with 1574 viewsNthQldITFC

Don’t shoot the messenger on 10:17 - Mar 26 by portmanking

I do think that Cook has the perfect storm of disengaged players and three-quarters of a squad that's out-of-contract. It gives him carte blanche to wield the axe and mould his own squad in a way that Lambert simply couldn't. Not that I'm defending PL in any way, of course.

I just feel that a blank canvas must be one of the main attractions to managing Ipswich next season (and new ownership... pretty please?)

Will the funding be there under the current regime though?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Don’t shoot the messenger on 12:06 - Mar 26 with 1574 viewstractorboy1978

Don’t shoot the messenger on 11:54 - Mar 26 by itfcjoe

And who'd have thought arguably our most important player would struggle to keep fit after coming back overweight and well off the pace following 6 months of not looking after himself.
Don’t shoot the messenger on 12:07 - Mar 26 with 1553 viewstractorboy1978

Don’t shoot the messenger on 12:05 - Mar 26 by NthQldITFC

Will the funding be there under the current regime though?

We will be shipping some fairly chunky (pre-COVID) salaries this summer so even if funding is at the same level as this year we will be competing for the best free transfers at this level.
Don’t shoot the messenger on 12:07 - Mar 26 with 1542 viewsPositivelyPortman

Don’t shoot the messenger on 09:59 - Mar 26 by Herbivore

I agree with this. Imagine working under Lambert the last 2 years, with his relentless negativity and reports that he wouldn't even speak to the players. Now imagine that being the case during lockdown when your life outside of football is more or less zero. Players are human beings, Lambert leaving doesn't undo all the damage. There's very little time to work with the players to try and turn things around given how congested the season is. It's a huge issue. That said, even taking that into account this squad is in need of a big refresh come the summer.

Ahhhh, poor little professional footballers, my heart bleeds for every one of them.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024