Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bad Town players that we loved anyway 17:25 - Apr 3 with 7747 viewswkj

We've had a fair few players in our time that have stole a living here, though some of them have gone down fondly in our memories.

I'll start with Larsen Touré - Bags of energy, fun with the fans, gentleman on twitter, celebrating the in cup game like the game was over when there was more to play - and of course, that corner.

Always had a smile on his face and I truly wish he was a good footballer as he would have gone down a legend here with his personality.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:15 - Apr 3 with 1856 viewsN2_Blue

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:09 - Apr 3 by Churchman

He played in the Premier League and didn’t look out of place. Could play a multitude of positions, scored against Norwich, was brave, determined, great attitude and a thoroughly professional player.

He was a lot better than a bit average.

Completely agree.

506 league appearances for us! If he was a bad...or even an average player for us, everyone else may as well give up!

Bizarre to name him as bad and backtrack but to still call him average. I thought it must be because he was thinking of someone else

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:17 - Apr 3 with 1847 viewsN2_Blue

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:12 - Apr 3 by BelsteadCav

What?

Not really....i think Danny Haynes is a fairly decent shout.

Loved because of his Norwich goals but actually not a particularly great or successful player.

Micky Stockwell is a 'what?'

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:18 - Apr 3 with 1839 viewsBelsteadCav

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:11 - Apr 3 by Herbivore

This is the thing you need to apologise for following your return, not being a bit mardy.

What’s wrong with saying he was average?

Because he was just that, didn’t set the world a light. Not really the best at anything apart from being versatile. And he ran around a lot 🤷🏼‍♂️

Just an opinion. No need to go overboard.

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:20 - Apr 3 with 1820 viewsJ2BLUE

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:18 - Apr 3 by BelsteadCav

Because he was just that, didn’t set the world a light. Not really the best at anything apart from being versatile. And he ran around a lot 🤷🏼‍♂️

What's wrong with it? It's wrong.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:20 - Apr 3 with 1830 viewsN2_Blue

Because it's a ridiculous thing to say and a very odd opinion.

I'd have him in an Ipswich Town Hall of fame...there is nothing average about him.

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:23 - Apr 3 with 1824 viewsjayessess

Trouble is they all look good looking back from 2021, don't they?

Once upon a time you might've been able to patronise some of the players mentioned here (Thetis/Uhlenbeek) as being mostly useless cult hero triers, but they were a cut above anything we've had for years.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:27 - Apr 3 with 1807 viewswaveneyblue

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:23 - Apr 3 by jayessess

Once upon a time you might've been able to patronise some of the players mentioned here (Thetis/Uhlenbeek) as being mostly useless cult hero triers, but they were a cut above anything we've had for years.

Micky Stockwell ?????

Two years younger and he would've been a major part of our Glory Year in the Premier League.

Bloody loved the man
Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:28 - Apr 3 with 1794 viewsHerbivore

Apologise.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:29 - Apr 3 with 1791 viewswkj

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 17:43 - Apr 3 by Hipsterectomy

Kevin Bru was well-liked here, in fact I don't think I'd ever seen a bad word said about him on here or social media. He certainly wasn't the greatest player we had though.

Castro Sito/Sito Castro I seem to remember not being great (though honestly I remember nothing about him) yet some fans loved him.

Jamie Peters as well, never saw anything from him tbh but he was adored by some cause he could run at players.

I tell you what, I would have him back in the team quicker than quick (Peters). When you consider some of those who followed him on the right wing, we've not really had much better since he left - certainly not with any longevity.

Crybaby

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:29 - Apr 3 with 1787 viewsJ2BLUE

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:28 - Apr 3 by Herbivore

Apologise.

Not on here either. Needs its own thread.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:31 - Apr 3 with 1781 viewsHerbivore

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:29 - Apr 3 by J2BLUE

Agreed.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:32 - Apr 3 with 1782 viewswkj

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 17:50 - Apr 3 by fabian_illness

Frank Nouble for me.
Defenders looked sh1t scared when he ran towards them, but they really needn’t have been.

His game under Mick vs Palace at home was his crown and glory for us. 2 well taken goals by charging the goalkeeper down. Not a technical player - but intimidating when he was on the move.

Crybaby

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:32 - Apr 3 with 1784 viewsmonkeymagic

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:23 - Apr 3 by jayessess

Mitch D’Avray, although he did follow in the footsteps of top quality forwards and played in what was then considered a poor side. Mind you, would probably walk away with player of the season against the current crop.
Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:34 - Apr 3 with 1770 viewsBelsteadCav

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:29 - Apr 3 by J2BLUE

That made me Laugh out loud

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:58 - Apr 3 with 1705 viewsBlueBadger

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 17:59 - Apr 3 by Radlett_blue

Jean-Manuel Thetis. Thought he was better than he actually was so always had a mistake in him.
He also allegedly lamped GB after being left out of the Town team against Charlton.

Thetis was the bad players' bad player.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 19:00 - Apr 3 with 1707 viewsBlueBadger

As someone's already had my personal favourite of Manu Thetis, I'm going to go for Richard Naylor when he played up front.
Capable of putting in performances like Wemburley, but also capable of some absolute shockers.

But never less than 100% committed and always capable of some highly entertaining violence. If you didn't enjoy the sight of him kicking arch-bully Martin Keown 6 feet up in the air there was something wrong with you.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 19:01 - Apr 3 with 1700 viewsBlueBadger

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:07 - Apr 3 by J2BLUE

Danny Haynes. Saved by a few goals against Norwich. Possibly slightly harsh as he was played at RM so much rather than up front but he used to get the ball, run like fook and not stop until he ran it out of play. About five times per game.

Capable of the most ridiculous instinctive finishes but give him any time to think and he was hopeless in front of goal.

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 19:36 - Apr 3 with 1646 viewsChurchman

My two favourite worst players were Gus and dear old Frank Nouble, but since they’re taken I’ll offer.... Phil Whelan.

He came into the team and started well. I seem to remember him scoring an important goal late in the 91/92 season against somebody, possibly Wolves. Big, imposing, looked decent. But he just seemed to get worse and worse. I forgave it all because he’d come through the system and was part of the promotion team. Then against somebody he wound up with his foot pointing the wrong way round (Man U?) and I empathised. And then he just disappeared.

It’s a poor offering but my first choices were taken.
Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 19:44 - Apr 3 with 1629 viewsjudespiveyg

I wouldn't say he was particularly bad as such but I love JET. The best kind of footballer, 100% flair without any kind of substance. Looks like he's just playing to have fun, which I like to see.

Toto. Seems like a good guy but you're just waiting for him to make a mistake.

Nouble and Mad Dog Knudsen also spring to mind.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 19:44 - Apr 3 with 1623 viewsSimonds92

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:17 - Apr 3 by N2_Blue

Not really....i think Danny Haynes is a fairly decent shout.

Loved because of his Norwich goals but actually not a particularly great or successful player.

Micky Stockwell is a 'what?'

I kind of agree but i think Haynes would be a fair improvement on Kayden Jackson who some people seem to rate fairly highly. For a start DH was genuinely lightning quick whereas everyone talks about Jackson being quick but he certainly doesn't seem to breeze past division 3 carthorses.
Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 19:50 - Apr 3 with 1600 viewsLeoMuff

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 19:36 - Apr 3 by Churchman

My two favourite worst players were Gus and dear old Frank Nouble, but since they’re taken I’ll offer.... Phil Whelan.

He came into the team and started well. I seem to remember him scoring an important goal late in the 91/92 season against somebody, possibly Wolves. Big, imposing, looked decent. But he just seemed to get worse and worse. I forgave it all because he’d come through the system and was part of the promotion team. Then against somebody he wound up with his foot pointing the wrong way round (Man U?) and I empathised. And then he just disappeared.

It’s a poor offering but my first choices were taken.

Southend away ?

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 19:55 - Apr 3 with 1590 viewsChurchman

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 19:50 - Apr 3 by LeoMuff

Southend away ?

Looked it up. He scored twice for us. First in the Southend game and a few days later in a night game against Wolves. I’d forgotten he scored at Southend. Great days
Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 19:56 - Apr 3 with 1594 viewsRobTheMonk

I loved it when Richie Wellens came in on loan and publically called out the arse holes of the team at the time.

Wonder what he'd say about the current crop...
Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 20:11 - Apr 3 with 1557 viewsSuperCoops

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 17:59 - Apr 3 by BelsteadCav

Ok, not a bad player. But not a great one. A bit average

I take it back

You're kidding. I would love a few Stockwell's in our team right now. Hard working, versatile, never makes a mistake, consistent, maybe never a Messi, but never a Dozzell or Judge either.

Mick Stockwell was an early version of Matt Holland. Dependable, seldom injured, always reliable, always hard working and not a bit of trouble.
Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 20:13 - Apr 3 with 1553 viewsRonFearonsHair

Bad Town players that we loved anyway on 18:01 - Apr 3 by N2_Blue

Manuel Thetis

Wasn't actually that bad a player but did some crazily bad things on the pitch and got booked at an alarming rate when yellow cards weren't as prevalent as they are now. He'd be a walking red card in todays game

I seem to recall him somehow scoring an overhead kick i think...probably the last player I'd expect to score a goal like that.

Not only was it an overhead kick, but it was a volley whilst on his backside having spooned the original attempt straight up into the year. A unique goal.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024