Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. 18:32 - May 14 with 10884 viewsTrequartista

I'm not a viroligist. I'm not an expert. I'm not a fortune-teller. I'm not privy to all the data. I'm just a punter trying to make sense of the data in the public domain.

So why on earth did we keep India off the red list for so long when people like me could see a mile off back in mid-April that this was a huge risk? This was not hindsight, this was plain sight.

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list by StokieBlue 14 Apr 2021 11:43
It sounds awful there at the moment with a new wave running totally out of control after the easing of restrictions:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/14/a-tsunami-of-cases-desperation-as-covid-second-wave-batters-india

This line is the one that is incredibly worrying though and I would think should mean India is on the red list until other countries can do some genome sequencing:

"Nightmare scenes of a country struggling to cope have begun to emerge as doctors speak of a new variant of the virus that appears to be spreading faster than ever before, affecting young people and even children this time around."

"This time we are seeing younger people between 20 and 40 getting seriously affected and even children are now being hospitalised with severe symptoms."

SB

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list by Trequartista 16 Apr 2021 9:40
The ‘double mutation’ Indian variant has today been detected in the uk. I am absolutely amazed India was not put on the red list. We knew it was bad there when they withheld the az vaccine for their own people. Appalling mistake by the government

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list by StokieBlue 23 Apr 2021 12:44
So India is now on the red list, 9 days after this thread and obviously far too late.

The most sequenced variant of C19 in the UK (after the UK variant) is now the Indian B1617 variant. It's not huge numbers at the moment but it's definitely here and most likely has been for a month or two (but closing up sooner would likely still have helped).

This table is quite interesting to show the difference between the variants - with regards to the Indian variant a lot of the answers are "don't know" at the moment:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1383107879058608129

SB

Where are the questions from the journalists about this? All I saw was questions about the future that have already been answered with "depends and don't know". Where is the Labour Party holding the Government and its advisors to task? Yvette Cooper is the only person i've seen ask the question.

Look at this from disgraceful statement from Whitty ""What we know with all the variants is that things can come out of a blue sky - you're not expecting it and then something happens - that happened with the B.1.1.7 (the variant first identified in Kent), that has happened to India with this variant as well"

The only thing coming out the blue sky were the aeroplanes you kept letting land from India bringing the variants!

They is now a fair chance we are going to be asked to obey restrictions for longer than promised because of this, and no-one seems to care.

Livid.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 21:25 - May 14 with 1139 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:54 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

Perhaps you missed the bit where I said Mr Corbyn AND Brexit

Thank you YBR for your reply; I am still left leaning, nothing will ever change that and unashamedly will tell you that it was Mr Corbyn and Brexit that made me switch to voting Tory - the same as it did for millions of us - but hey you knew that I am sure.

You are totally making this shizz up yer waste of fekkin space....or you are just a fekkin mentalist. Whatever!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 21:33 - May 14 with 1108 viewsGeomorph

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:50 - May 14 by J2BLUE

I was quite pleased the enquiry is taking place next year. That's if it's independent. Closer to an election and more to pin on them.

You have to give the despicable tories some credit. Starve northern councils of money and services, dumb down education and then tell red wall voters it’s all their mps fault. Coupled with stoking hatred of brown people. As for COVID. The Kent variant could be seen by anyone creeping westwards as an obvious expanding hotspot for about 2 months on daily maps before the useless t0ssers acted.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 21:46 - May 14 with 1078 viewsXYZ

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 21:12 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

YBR - I can unashamedly say that your summation is pretty much it. Myself and a few million others alike.
If Labour do not get our vote at the next general election, they will not win it. Ideology is one thing, reality of course is another.
There are many on here quick to judge, taking the moral high ground, knowing that their anonymity means we will never find out what they are really like as upstanding citizens.

Anonymous poster claiming moral highground criticises other anonymous posters for claiming the moral highground.

Excellent internetting.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 21:53 - May 14 with 1063 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 21:12 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

YBR - I can unashamedly say that your summation is pretty much it. Myself and a few million others alike.
If Labour do not get our vote at the next general election, they will not win it. Ideology is one thing, reality of course is another.
There are many on here quick to judge, taking the moral high ground, knowing that their anonymity means we will never find out what they are really like as upstanding citizens.

Rather than offering me out via pm why not just answer my questions in public?
So here's another too....what was your particular Lexit angle that you were persuaded to back the Tories to deliver for you?
So rather than me telling you where I live why not just let me know publicly where you fancy meeting up to discuss your made up story?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 21:55 - May 14 with 1057 viewsBlueForYou

Outstandingly well spoken TimefliesbyintheBlue..!!
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:00 - May 14 with 1042 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 21:53 - May 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

Rather than offering me out via pm why not just answer my questions in public?
So here's another too....what was your particular Lexit angle that you were persuaded to back the Tories to deliver for you?
So rather than me telling you where I live why not just let me know publicly where you fancy meeting up to discuss your made up story?

I never did get a question - just vitriol
As for the question just posted I voted for Brexit for reasons that I am willing to discuss with you anytime you care to meet, so we can discuss face to face.
Being retired I can meet anywhere say within 100 miles of an IP postcode -
Are you a pint or a glass of wine gentleman - my treat.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:11 - May 14 with 1029 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:00 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

I never did get a question - just vitriol
As for the question just posted I voted for Brexit for reasons that I am willing to discuss with you anytime you care to meet, so we can discuss face to face.
Being retired I can meet anywhere say within 100 miles of an IP postcode -
Are you a pint or a glass of wine gentleman - my treat.

Here will do for now...
What was your particular Lexit angle that you were persuaded to back the Tories to deliver for you?
What was it about the Labour Party of old that had you hooked that you now think the Conservatives are delivering for you ya silly sod?

...just in case you forgot Pec....Timefliesby

Edit....definitely a pint of wine person.
[Post edited 14 May 2021 22:14]

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:14 - May 14 with 1017 viewsnoggin

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:51 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

No Blue Badger, not at all. Your constant tirade towards a government that is far from perfect, along with so many others on here, does nothing but push more voters towards them.
Any government needs a strong opposition - all we have at the moment is thousands of Captain Hindsights, thousands of those so far left they are in danger of falling off their pedestals and thousands of folk with no alternate medicine/policies/ideas at all.
I, for the best part of 65 years was a left of centre voter - it is the likes of you, that convinces the likes of me to have no truck with the left until some semblance of common sense is restored.
Posts like the one you have made is music to the ears of those you wish to defeat...
I remember the days when a crisis such as covid would have resulted in parties uniting and working together - you and your ilk are doing more damage to the left than you realise.
This Indian variant is troublesome, and needs us all pulling together to defeat it. Thank goodness the majority of folk on these islands understand that, whatever political persuasions we hold.

lol

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Login to get fewer ads

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:14 - May 14 with 1009 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 21:55 - May 14 by BlueForYou

Thank you
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:18 - May 14 with 1006 viewsvapour_trail

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:16 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

Ah, the old new poster jibe! - I am well aware that you folk that have been here since God was a boy consider yourselves better in every way than us newcomers on here!

I wonder if you have read the survey that discusses those who spend more than ten hours a week on social media -

Ha ha. Mate it’s very clear what and who you are. You lack the intelligence to disguise it.

Like the left of centre angle this time, very good.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:19 - May 14 with 1003 viewsnoggin

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:16 - May 14 by m14_blue

I was going to make a joke about ‘Captain Hindsight’ but, unbelievably, someone has used it unironically.

This whole thread is about the complete, literal, opposite of hindsight.

You’ve been groomed by Boris and his friends in the media, repeating his nonsensical sound bites.

Careful now, another 2 million people will vote tory after reading your post and wetting their pants over it.

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:20 - May 14 with 1002 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:14 - May 14 by noggin

lol

Perhaps the most transparent troll ever...couldn't be bothered to engage until now, seems he doesn't like my style!

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:28 - May 14 with 974 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:11 - May 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

Here will do for now...
What was your particular Lexit angle that you were persuaded to back the Tories to deliver for you?
What was it about the Labour Party of old that had you hooked that you now think the Conservatives are delivering for you ya silly sod?

...just in case you forgot Pec....Timefliesby

Edit....definitely a pint of wine person.
[Post edited 14 May 2021 22:14]

Why did i change my voting pattern - I answered that earlier old boy - do try and keep up. Brexit was the answer then and still is. Oh you have not taken up the challenge - no one ever does - shame.
Yes and drinking wine out of a pint glass sort of fits.....
Sleep well..
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:32 - May 14 with 965 viewsnoggin

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:28 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

Why did i change my voting pattern - I answered that earlier old boy - do try and keep up. Brexit was the answer then and still is. Oh you have not taken up the challenge - no one ever does - shame.
Sleep well..

Ah, so you don't like foreigners...

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:35 - May 14 with 964 viewsBondiBlue

What is wrong with the UK?! CLOSE YOUR BORDERS! Lots of love, Australia.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:35 - May 14 with 961 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:28 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

Sleep well..

One glass at a time old boy...sophisticated is my middle name....so you clearly can't answer, who would'a thunk it!

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:36 - May 14 with 956 viewsnoggin

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:35 - May 14 by BondiBlue

What is wrong with the UK?! CLOSE YOUR BORDERS! Lots of love, Australia.

Australia, you silly old racist. Lots of love Norway

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:37 - May 14 with 959 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

You misspelled Pecker, Pecker!

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 22:47 - May 14 with 938 viewspointofblue

All we had to do was copy Australia and close the borders. Seemingly the moaning from the airline industry was more important than keeping people safe here.

Fuming.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 23:06 - May 14 with 910 views26_Paz

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 21:02 - May 14 by m14_blue

I didn’t watch the presser, did they seem confident that the vaccine would still be effective?

I didn’t watch it either but saw the highlights. Usual caveats ‘no evidence to suggest it evades the vaccine’ ‘monitoring closely’ etc. Fingers crossed!

The Paz Man

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 23:08 - May 14 with 915 viewsStokieBlue

I've not read all the thread yet but...

This is one of those times when one doesn't want to be proven right. The trajectory was obvious to anyone and even more obvious to those with some modelling experience.

The issue now is that Bolton and the surrounding areas need to lock down as they are exponential but the local administrations are pushing back. Burnham has already rejected any form of lockdown from this variant so we will be back to playing politics whilst it spreads and probably kills.

Preliminary research I've read puts the Indian variant at 60% more transmissible than the already more transmissible Kent variant. That's going to push the baseline R up to maybe near 5 which is very high. The world is allowing covid to optimise itself and through the laws of natural selection it's obliging. We are giving it the opportunity and it will and is taking it.

It's past party politics or national politics now. People need to take it seriously but all around me I see people who think it's over.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 23:13 - May 14 with 894 viewssyntaxerror

I make you right, gotta own the libs.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 23:15 - May 14 with 888 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 23:08 - May 14 by StokieBlue

I've not read all the thread yet but...

This is one of those times when one doesn't want to be proven right. The trajectory was obvious to anyone and even more obvious to those with some modelling experience.

The issue now is that Bolton and the surrounding areas need to lock down as they are exponential but the local administrations are pushing back. Burnham has already rejected any form of lockdown from this variant so we will be back to playing politics whilst it spreads and probably kills.

Preliminary research I've read puts the Indian variant at 60% more transmissible than the already more transmissible Kent variant. That's going to push the baseline R up to maybe near 5 which is very high. The world is allowing covid to optimise itself and through the laws of natural selection it's obliging. We are giving it the opportunity and it will and is taking it.

It's past party politics or national politics now. People need to take it seriously but all around me I see people who think it's over.

SB

Is there any evidence that it is resistant to the vaccine?
If not then is your concern that eventually a mutation will be....if so then what is the answer to our predicament with regards to some sort of return to 'normal?'

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 23:18 - May 14 with 1207 viewsjeera

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 23:15 - May 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

If not then is your concern that eventually a mutation will be....if so then what is the answer to our predicament with regards to some sort of return to 'normal?'

The point is that if stringent measures, or at least some common sense ones such as placing countries with new variants on the list immediately, helps stop it mixing things up and creating even more strains.

Sooner or later a variant will emerge that isn't covered by existing vaccines, if it hasn't already.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 23:23 - May 14 with 1201 viewsStokieBlue

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 23:15 - May 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

No evidence that it's resistance to the vaccine any more than the other variants. The key here is that it's more transmissible. Vaccines don't offer 100% protection from infection, just protection from hospitalisation so it can still spread given the huge increase in baseline R.

The worry is that the communities where the new variant is most prevalent are the same as those with a low uptake in vaccination so we could be looking at a horrible localised situation.

SB
[Post edited 14 May 2021 23:28]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024