Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. 18:32 - May 14 with 10882 viewsTrequartista

I'm not a viroligist. I'm not an expert. I'm not a fortune-teller. I'm not privy to all the data. I'm just a punter trying to make sense of the data in the public domain.

So why on earth did we keep India off the red list for so long when people like me could see a mile off back in mid-April that this was a huge risk? This was not hindsight, this was plain sight.

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list by StokieBlue 14 Apr 2021 11:43
It sounds awful there at the moment with a new wave running totally out of control after the easing of restrictions:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/14/a-tsunami-of-cases-desperation-as-covid-second-wave-batters-india

This line is the one that is incredibly worrying though and I would think should mean India is on the red list until other countries can do some genome sequencing:

"Nightmare scenes of a country struggling to cope have begun to emerge as doctors speak of a new variant of the virus that appears to be spreading faster than ever before, affecting young people and even children this time around."

"This time we are seeing younger people between 20 and 40 getting seriously affected and even children are now being hospitalised with severe symptoms."

SB

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list by Trequartista 16 Apr 2021 9:40
The ‘double mutation’ Indian variant has today been detected in the uk. I am absolutely amazed India was not put on the red list. We knew it was bad there when they withheld the az vaccine for their own people. Appalling mistake by the government

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list by StokieBlue 23 Apr 2021 12:44
So India is now on the red list, 9 days after this thread and obviously far too late.

The most sequenced variant of C19 in the UK (after the UK variant) is now the Indian B1617 variant. It's not huge numbers at the moment but it's definitely here and most likely has been for a month or two (but closing up sooner would likely still have helped).

This table is quite interesting to show the difference between the variants - with regards to the Indian variant a lot of the answers are "don't know" at the moment:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1383107879058608129

SB

Where are the questions from the journalists about this? All I saw was questions about the future that have already been answered with "depends and don't know". Where is the Labour Party holding the Government and its advisors to task? Yvette Cooper is the only person i've seen ask the question.

Look at this from disgraceful statement from Whitty ""What we know with all the variants is that things can come out of a blue sky - you're not expecting it and then something happens - that happened with the B.1.1.7 (the variant first identified in Kent), that has happened to India with this variant as well"

The only thing coming out the blue sky were the aeroplanes you kept letting land from India bringing the variants!

They is now a fair chance we are going to be asked to obey restrictions for longer than promised because of this, and no-one seems to care.

Livid.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:20 - May 14 with 746 viewsSpruceMoose

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:19 - May 14 by You_Bloo_Right

I'm not interested in your spat with Badger.

What I would like to understand, though, is how a self-proclaimed one time left-leaning person ends up voting for the Conservatives at any level. I get you don't like what you think the Labour party has become but what reasons could a person with such a history have to vote for the Tories?

Obvious answer is that he's lying.

100% certain on that one.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:24 - May 14 with 754 viewsHARRY10

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:11 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

It is not necessarily BB that you point it out consistently, it is your cowardly name calling and actual belief that you are the pillar of society that we should all look up to; in reality you and your like are turning thousands away from the party that loads of us have supported for years.: but then you would never listen to the millions of us that have stopped voting labour would you. Remember I have a very long list of your continual cowardly name calling of us that think different to you regarding the current political landscape.
You need to get out more and speak/listen/mix with real folk with real aspirations and ambitions instead of making out that we are all second rate citizens if we do not follow The Badger Way.

Well this rightie may not have much of a grasp on facts and accuracy, but at least he is spot on in trotting out the party line

That being at the moment that either it's the metropolitan liberal elite, or the woke (depending on the day) who are driving millions into the arms of the Tories by...... err, pointing out the lies, the corruption and fatal incompetence of the Tories.

Which our duty bigot has not grasped the implications of ie it is not what the Tories offer, but the supposed failings of Blue Badger. An inevitable problem when you haven't the slightest idea of what you are posting, and are merely post what you are told

Expect..... ' but some are more equal than others' to be his next bleat
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:26 - May 14 with 743 viewsHerbivore

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:51 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

No Blue Badger, not at all. Your constant tirade towards a government that is far from perfect, along with so many others on here, does nothing but push more voters towards them.
Any government needs a strong opposition - all we have at the moment is thousands of Captain Hindsights, thousands of those so far left they are in danger of falling off their pedestals and thousands of folk with no alternate medicine/policies/ideas at all.
I, for the best part of 65 years was a left of centre voter - it is the likes of you, that convinces the likes of me to have no truck with the left until some semblance of common sense is restored.
Posts like the one you have made is music to the ears of those you wish to defeat...
I remember the days when a crisis such as covid would have resulted in parties uniting and working together - you and your ilk are doing more damage to the left than you realise.
This Indian variant is troublesome, and needs us all pulling together to defeat it. Thank goodness the majority of folk on these islands understand that, whatever political persuasions we hold.

Your constant attempts to deflect any thread criticising the government on to "the left" are very transparent and utterly shameful.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:28 - May 14 with 732 viewsFreddies_Ears

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:00 - May 14 by Swansea_Blue

Don't be daft. They've been screwing up and people have every right to be critical. Each time they've dallied in their decision making like this it's been shown to have resulted in about another 20-30k uneccessary deaths.

Yes the opposition have been poor, but the blame for the failures and corruption lies solely at the door of the perpertraitors.

Two weeks late to lockdown last spring, two weeks late in the autumn, the fiasco of schools opening for one day after the Christmas superspreading family gatherings, and now two weeks late to impose red status on India for political reasons ( neighbouring countries with a fraction of India's rates went red 2 weeks before India did, but the PM wasn't planning to grovel for a trade deal with those). The first two errors cost 20,000 lives each. I haven't yet seen credible stats for the third, though it is understood to have doubled the eventual spring death toll ( so, another 20,000+ lives lost). It is far too soon to know what will happen with this fourth delayed decision, but it is not too soon to call it as another, tragically typical, example of putting politics over people's lives.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:28 - May 14 with 732 viewsDebsyAngel

They have known for a few weeks - but kept schtum cos of the local elections and that could lost votes for them.

Why India have not had a lockdown is beyond me.

I too am livid, and June will not happen now. Just constant lies, dangled carrots and no way out of this. If it is a risk NOW, why not delay all the planned openings of stuff due Monday? They managed to cancel Christmas in a few days.

Deploying vaccines to the hotspots are too little too late - they cannot vaccinate that many people, and the things take a few weeks to work.

Why are we ALWAYS weeks too late? Some people cannot wait forever. If I cannot reclaim my freedom come early August, that's it for me.

Always "we have learnt from our mistakes"- NO, YOU HAVE NOT, why do you keep on making the SAME ones then??

If only we had a sensible government like New Zealand and Australia.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:29 - May 14 with 737 viewsJ2BLUE

I share your rage. We have risked normal life in the UK for foreign travel. It's an absolute shambles. Australia had the right idea. As SB says, BJ should resign if this causes ANY delay to the roadmap.

If we get through this though we'll then have to allow foreign holidays because it's a human right to travel in the middle of a pandemic apparently. Candice and Wayne will just HAVE to book that trip to Benidorm. Sophie and David will just HAVE to book that trip to Tuscany because what would the neighbours think if they looked beyond the end of their f##k1ng nose and decided it would be better to have a holiday in the UK and not risk the entire country?

I know some will take issue because you just have to go abroad because you're special and don't give me this BS about following the rules. Follow your common sense and don't be so wilfully ignorant just because it allows you to do what you want.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:33 - May 14 with 717 viewsSteve_M

This thread is interesting, and plausible. That the government prioritised a trade deal with India over public health:

Or the accompanying story:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-the-three-days-in-april-that-may-have-fuelle

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:33 - May 14 with 710 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:29 - May 14 by J2BLUE

I share your rage. We have risked normal life in the UK for foreign travel. It's an absolute shambles. Australia had the right idea. As SB says, BJ should resign if this causes ANY delay to the roadmap.

If we get through this though we'll then have to allow foreign holidays because it's a human right to travel in the middle of a pandemic apparently. Candice and Wayne will just HAVE to book that trip to Benidorm. Sophie and David will just HAVE to book that trip to Tuscany because what would the neighbours think if they looked beyond the end of their f##k1ng nose and decided it would be better to have a holiday in the UK and not risk the entire country?

I know some will take issue because you just have to go abroad because you're special and don't give me this BS about following the rules. Follow your common sense and don't be so wilfully ignorant just because it allows you to do what you want.

The alternate viewpoint is to not blame people for getting sick of the government f***ing everything up and deciding not to put enjoying their lives on hold for any longer.

(Not a dig at you).

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Login to get fewer ads

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:34 - May 14 with 698 viewsHARRY10

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:45 - May 14 by NthQldITFC

Does a red list really work though? Is the managed hotel quarantine enforced? What about people or entire flights who may have been in close contact with people from red list countries in transit? Would it be feasible to have an enforced 10 day quarantine for ALL arrivees into the UK, and what sort of numbers could we handle in that scenario, resulting in what sort of percentage cut on current travel rates?

Lazy but unloaded questions as I haven't really read much on this lately.

Scotland managed it - and I suspect it may have deterred many from entering Scotland.....

........were it not for the fact that England continued to allow passengers from India to continue to land in England with no quarantine required

Remember arrivals from Italy last Feb/March

Of course the problem in Scotland was directly caused by Nicola Sturgeon, who it appears, did not impose Scotlands quarantine rules on England. Yes, I know...but some crank is peddling that nonsense on another thread.

So why did the bloated buffoon not stop flights from India when he had already done so with those from Somalia, who had comparative low levels of infection. Could it be connected to him wanting to tie up something that resembled a trade deal ?

Johnson putting himself before the countries health............of course not.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:34 - May 14 with 695 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:19 - May 14 by You_Bloo_Right

I'm not interested in your spat with Badger.

What I would like to understand, though, is how a self-proclaimed one time left-leaning person ends up voting for the Conservatives at any level. I get you don't like what you think the Labour party has become but what reasons could a person with such a history have to vote for the Tories?

Thank you YBR for your reply; I am still left leaning, nothing will ever change that and unashamedly will tell you that it was Mr Corbyn and Brexit that made me switch to voting Tory - the same as it did for millions of us - but hey you knew that I am sure.
The trouble is on this site we are harangued for admitting as much and called all sorts of vindictive and widely inaccurate terms.
I voted for Neil Kinnock when the sun newspaper was saying would the last one out turn the lights off if he wins!! I was a Michael Foot supporter when I am not convinced he deserved it!
To see though the far left trying to take over my party is not good, and you know, I was brought up to respect those with differing opinions - that certainly is not the case on here.
I see Mr Spruce is suggesting i could be telling lies - mmmmm - stupid boy!
I hope I have answered at least some of your question - thank you for being respectful.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:35 - May 14 with 698 viewsJ2BLUE

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:33 - May 14 by ThisIsMyUsername

The alternate viewpoint is to not blame people for getting sick of the government f***ing everything up and deciding not to put enjoying their lives on hold for any longer.

(Not a dig at you).

Read the last paragraph again.

This is about putting us back to square one potentially. If you don't get your trip abroad for another year then deal with it. We're an island. Plenty of beaches and lots of different holiday types for everyone.

Truly impaired.

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:37 - May 14 with 685 viewsbluelagos

So you are looking to pass the blame away from those that make the rules onto people who follow them?

To expect Jo public to unilaterally chose / decide where and when it is safe to travel to, rather than our public servants....nah sorry J2. The issue of foreign travel is critical to keeping us safe (plainly) and passing the buck onto Jo public doesn't sit well with me.

Same with the pubs, restaurants etc. You wouldn't open them and advise people to only do xyz. If they need to be closed, close them. Same with tourism (both in coming and returning)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:38 - May 14 with 671 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:35 - May 14 by J2BLUE

Read the last paragraph again.

This is about putting us back to square one potentially. If you don't get your trip abroad for another year then deal with it. We're an island. Plenty of beaches and lots of different holiday types for everyone.

I know, but each to their own. I agree with your sentiment. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be enough of a collective appetite for it. Also there'll definitely be a lot of 'well if they are going on holiday then so will I' going on.

Still, blame the government before the people. Although probably most of them voted for the government. So screw everyone.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:39 - May 14 with 669 viewsJ2BLUE

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:37 - May 14 by bluelagos

So you are looking to pass the blame away from those that make the rules onto people who follow them?

To expect Jo public to unilaterally chose / decide where and when it is safe to travel to, rather than our public servants....nah sorry J2. The issue of foreign travel is critical to keeping us safe (plainly) and passing the buck onto Jo public doesn't sit well with me.

Same with the pubs, restaurants etc. You wouldn't open them and advise people to only do xyz. If they need to be closed, close them. Same with tourism (both in coming and returning)

I knew you'd be one to take issue. You don't seem to care as long as you can justify it by pointing at the government.

They are incompetent, as you know. They haven't followed the scientific advance for most of the pandemic, as you know. It was obvious a variant would eventually be an issue. I can only take responsibility for myself. I am not the one passing the buck.

Truly impaired.

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:40 - May 14 with 660 viewsSwansea_Blue

Agree with a lot of the sentiment for that, but we want him to change the roadmap don't we? It's if he carries on irrespective of this variant he needs to go. I may be misunderstanding tho.

Wales have slighlty changed their roadmap today. Some planned activities are on hold until they know more. They're not ruling out closing the Wlaes/England border again either, which is a lot more difficult to do politically than stopping entrants into international ports in the UK.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:41 - May 14 with 653 viewsLeoMuff

It is not necessarily BB that you point it out consistently, it is your cowardly name calling and actual belief that you are the pillar of society that we should all look up to; in reality you and your like are turning thousands away from the party that loads of us have supported for years.: but then you would never listen to the millions of us that have stopped voting labour would you. Remember I have a very long list of your continual cowardly name calling of us that think different to you regarding the current political landscape.
You need to get out more and speak/listen/mix with real folk with real aspirations and ambitions instead of making out that we are all second rate citizens if we do not follow The Badger Way.

Well if you can’t look up to people who have put at risk their lives and their families lives to help others for the past year who can you look up to ?

I note you seem to prefer looking up to those that splash £200k on wallpaper, give £100k grants to people you may or not be having an affair with or those who bully colleagues and break the ministerial code.

Seems an odd choice to me.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:42 - May 14 with 644 viewsJ2BLUE

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:40 - May 14 by Swansea_Blue

Agree with a lot of the sentiment for that, but we want him to change the roadmap don't we? It's if he carries on irrespective of this variant he needs to go. I may be misunderstanding tho.

Wales have slighlty changed their roadmap today. Some planned activities are on hold until they know more. They're not ruling out closing the Wlaes/England border again either, which is a lot more difficult to do politically than stopping entrants into international ports in the UK.

I want him to do what is needed for safety but if he has to then he needs to resign.

Truly impaired.

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:42 - May 14 with 643 viewsbluelagos

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:51 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

No Blue Badger, not at all. Your constant tirade towards a government that is far from perfect, along with so many others on here, does nothing but push more voters towards them.
Any government needs a strong opposition - all we have at the moment is thousands of Captain Hindsights, thousands of those so far left they are in danger of falling off their pedestals and thousands of folk with no alternate medicine/policies/ideas at all.
I, for the best part of 65 years was a left of centre voter - it is the likes of you, that convinces the likes of me to have no truck with the left until some semblance of common sense is restored.
Posts like the one you have made is music to the ears of those you wish to defeat...
I remember the days when a crisis such as covid would have resulted in parties uniting and working together - you and your ilk are doing more damage to the left than you realise.
This Indian variant is troublesome, and needs us all pulling together to defeat it. Thank goodness the majority of folk on these islands understand that, whatever political persuasions we hold.

The guy works for the NHS, at the coal face regarding handling CV. You can either listen to him or not, your choice.

As for people coming together, we have had remarkable compliance with the variance lockdowns, people literally changing how they live their lives. Reduced social contact, travel, new working - a whole myriad of changes to all lives. To suggest we have not "come together" is a remarkably ignorant view of what has happened in the past 12 months.

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:45 - May 14 with 632 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:34 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

Thank you YBR for your reply; I am still left leaning, nothing will ever change that and unashamedly will tell you that it was Mr Corbyn and Brexit that made me switch to voting Tory - the same as it did for millions of us - but hey you knew that I am sure.
The trouble is on this site we are harangued for admitting as much and called all sorts of vindictive and widely inaccurate terms.
I voted for Neil Kinnock when the sun newspaper was saying would the last one out turn the lights off if he wins!! I was a Michael Foot supporter when I am not convinced he deserved it!
To see though the far left trying to take over my party is not good, and you know, I was brought up to respect those with differing opinions - that certainly is not the case on here.
I see Mr Spruce is suggesting i could be telling lies - mmmmm - stupid boy!
I hope I have answered at least some of your question - thank you for being respectful.

Well thanks for that, I think, but whilst you make it clear that it was Corbyn that moved you away from Labour (maybe the radical policies, maybe the antisemitism issue and how that was/wasn't dealt with, maybe everything, whatever, that is unimportant) as I am sure you realise it doesn't really answer my question.

What I wanted to know was, what was the damascene moment that made you look at the Conservatives and say, "These are the very ones for me"? What appealed about the Conservatives against any of the other options on the ballot paper?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:45 - May 14 with 633 viewsbluelagos

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:39 - May 14 by J2BLUE

I knew you'd be one to take issue. You don't seem to care as long as you can justify it by pointing at the government.

They are incompetent, as you know. They haven't followed the scientific advance for most of the pandemic, as you know. It was obvious a variant would eventually be an issue. I can only take responsibility for myself. I am not the one passing the buck.

You might want to revisit that comment after you've slept on it. (or not) Appreciate you are wound up / angry so won't press further tonight.

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:46 - May 14 with 623 viewsJ2BLUE

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:45 - May 14 by bluelagos

You might want to revisit that comment after you've slept on it. (or not) Appreciate you are wound up / angry so won't press further tonight.

I like you mate. I just cannot understand how you can't see this. You aren't a Tory. You know what they are. This is your blind spot.

Truly impaired.

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:48 - May 14 with 611 viewsSwansea_Blue

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:42 - May 14 by J2BLUE

I want him to do what is needed for safety but if he has to then he needs to resign.

He won't though. Teflon Johnson - nothing sticks to him. We've seen examples of the slavish public loyalty in this thread, plus the executive are watering down powers that can be used to scrutinise them and hold them to account.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:49 - May 14 with 609 viewsRyorry

So which bit of working long hours as a ft nurse in A&E & critical care units in an NHS hospital, particularly over the past 14 months, do you think is *not* "speak(ing)/listen(ing)/mix(ing) with real folk with real aspirations and ambitions"? 🤔

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:49 - May 14 with 600 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:41 - May 14 by LeoMuff

Well if you can’t look up to people who have put at risk their lives and their families lives to help others for the past year who can you look up to ?

I note you seem to prefer looking up to those that splash £200k on wallpaper, give £100k grants to people you may or not be having an affair with or those who bully colleagues and break the ministerial code.

Seems an odd choice to me.

I know, volunteer with and mix with loads of folk who have gone above and beyond the call of duty during these past 15 months, including family at Ipswich Hospital.
I am not aware that any of them have posted on social media their heroic deeds; I could be wrong of course. The silent minority I call them.
Whow this wallpaper is increasing in value by the day - perhaps I should bring it into my investment portfolio.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:50 - May 14 with 598 viewsJ2BLUE

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:48 - May 14 by Swansea_Blue

He won't though. Teflon Johnson - nothing sticks to him. We've seen examples of the slavish public loyalty in this thread, plus the executive are watering down powers that can be used to scrutinise them and hold them to account.

I was quite pleased the enquiry is taking place next year. That's if it's independent. Closer to an election and more to pin on them.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024