Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. 18:32 - May 14 with 10885 viewsTrequartista

I'm not a viroligist. I'm not an expert. I'm not a fortune-teller. I'm not privy to all the data. I'm just a punter trying to make sense of the data in the public domain.

So why on earth did we keep India off the red list for so long when people like me could see a mile off back in mid-April that this was a huge risk? This was not hindsight, this was plain sight.

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list by StokieBlue 14 Apr 2021 11:43
It sounds awful there at the moment with a new wave running totally out of control after the easing of restrictions:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/14/a-tsunami-of-cases-desperation-as-covid-second-wave-batters-india

This line is the one that is incredibly worrying though and I would think should mean India is on the red list until other countries can do some genome sequencing:

"Nightmare scenes of a country struggling to cope have begun to emerge as doctors speak of a new variant of the virus that appears to be spreading faster than ever before, affecting young people and even children this time around."

"This time we are seeing younger people between 20 and 40 getting seriously affected and even children are now being hospitalised with severe symptoms."

SB

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list by Trequartista 16 Apr 2021 9:40
The ‘double mutation’ Indian variant has today been detected in the uk. I am absolutely amazed India was not put on the red list. We knew it was bad there when they withheld the az vaccine for their own people. Appalling mistake by the government

Sounds like India needs to be put on the red list by StokieBlue 23 Apr 2021 12:44
So India is now on the red list, 9 days after this thread and obviously far too late.

The most sequenced variant of C19 in the UK (after the UK variant) is now the Indian B1617 variant. It's not huge numbers at the moment but it's definitely here and most likely has been for a month or two (but closing up sooner would likely still have helped).

This table is quite interesting to show the difference between the variants - with regards to the Indian variant a lot of the answers are "don't know" at the moment:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1383107879058608129

SB

Where are the questions from the journalists about this? All I saw was questions about the future that have already been answered with "depends and don't know". Where is the Labour Party holding the Government and its advisors to task? Yvette Cooper is the only person i've seen ask the question.

Look at this from disgraceful statement from Whitty ""What we know with all the variants is that things can come out of a blue sky - you're not expecting it and then something happens - that happened with the B.1.1.7 (the variant first identified in Kent), that has happened to India with this variant as well"

The only thing coming out the blue sky were the aeroplanes you kept letting land from India bringing the variants!

They is now a fair chance we are going to be asked to obey restrictions for longer than promised because of this, and no-one seems to care.

Livid.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:51 - May 14 with 1316 viewsXYZ

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:28 - May 14 by DebsyAngel

They have known for a few weeks - but kept schtum cos of the local elections and that could lost votes for them.

Why India have not had a lockdown is beyond me.

I too am livid, and June will not happen now. Just constant lies, dangled carrots and no way out of this. If it is a risk NOW, why not delay all the planned openings of stuff due Monday? They managed to cancel Christmas in a few days.

Deploying vaccines to the hotspots are too little too late - they cannot vaccinate that many people, and the things take a few weeks to work.

Why are we ALWAYS weeks too late? Some people cannot wait forever. If I cannot reclaim my freedom come early August, that's it for me.

Always "we have learnt from our mistakes"- NO, YOU HAVE NOT, why do you keep on making the SAME ones then??

If only we had a sensible government like New Zealand and Australia.

Australia do not have a sensible (federal) government; they do have individual states that forced central action and they didn't want to be shown up by the kiwis.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:51 - May 14 with 1318 viewsbluelagos

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:46 - May 14 by J2BLUE

I like you mate. I just cannot understand how you can't see this. You aren't a Tory. You know what they are. This is your blind spot.

I think they've royally fcked up. Too late to ld1. Too kate to ld2. And it looks like we may need another one.

My only real disagreement - is that if we are told it's safe to travel, then I think pointing the finger at people who travel is ridiculous (if it turns out it's not safe)

And I like you too J2!

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:54 - May 14 with 1298 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:45 - May 14 by You_Bloo_Right

Well thanks for that, I think, but whilst you make it clear that it was Corbyn that moved you away from Labour (maybe the radical policies, maybe the antisemitism issue and how that was/wasn't dealt with, maybe everything, whatever, that is unimportant) as I am sure you realise it doesn't really answer my question.

What I wanted to know was, what was the damascene moment that made you look at the Conservatives and say, "These are the very ones for me"? What appealed about the Conservatives against any of the other options on the ballot paper?

Perhaps you missed the bit where I said Mr Corbyn AND Brexit

Thank you YBR for your reply; I am still left leaning, nothing will ever change that and unashamedly will tell you that it was Mr Corbyn and Brexit that made me switch to voting Tory - the same as it did for millions of us - but hey you knew that I am sure.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:54 - May 14 with 1302 viewsm14_blue

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:49 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

I know, volunteer with and mix with loads of folk who have gone above and beyond the call of duty during these past 15 months, including family at Ipswich Hospital.
I am not aware that any of them have posted on social media their heroic deeds; I could be wrong of course. The silent minority I call them.
Whow this wallpaper is increasing in value by the day - perhaps I should bring it into my investment portfolio.

What an absolutely rubbish thing to say.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:54 - May 14 with 1302 viewsHARRY10

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:50 - May 14 by J2BLUE

I was quite pleased the enquiry is taking place next year. That's if it's independent. Closer to an election and more to pin on them.

The problem there is it ius likely to be open ended and so will drag on for years.

It should begin as soon as possible
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:55 - May 14 with 1303 viewsJ2BLUE

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:51 - May 14 by bluelagos

I think they've royally fcked up. Too late to ld1. Too kate to ld2. And it looks like we may need another one.

My only real disagreement - is that if we are told it's safe to travel, then I think pointing the finger at people who travel is ridiculous (if it turns out it's not safe)

And I like you too J2!

It's clearly not safe though is it? How many polls have we seen where people admit they don't bother isolating on their return? We've had people coming to this country via Turkey to avoid the costs of mandatory quarantine. Are we supposed to believe they'll do it at home? The only effective thing would be mandatary isolation at your own expense when entering the country. Anything less is a massive hole in the government's strategy. There is so much you'd naturally not trust the government on. Why do you trust them on this?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:55 - May 14 with 1302 viewsbluelagos

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:50 - May 14 by J2BLUE

I was quite pleased the enquiry is taking place next year. That's if it's independent. Closer to an election and more to pin on them.

Much as it would be nice, the chance of the inquiry reporting before the next election....not happening. There's nothing good going to come of it for the govt (aside from the vaccine roll out) so sure it will end up taking long enough to report after the next election.

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:57 - May 14 with 1280 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:42 - May 14 by bluelagos

The guy works for the NHS, at the coal face regarding handling CV. You can either listen to him or not, your choice.

As for people coming together, we have had remarkable compliance with the variance lockdowns, people literally changing how they live their lives. Reduced social contact, travel, new working - a whole myriad of changes to all lives. To suggest we have not "come together" is a remarkably ignorant view of what has happened in the past 12 months.

The public have certainly come together - I wholeheartedly agree; It is the political parties that have not cooperated.
Login to get fewer ads

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 20:01 - May 14 with 1259 viewsHARRY10

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:54 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

Thank you YBR for your reply; I am still left leaning, nothing will ever change that and unashamedly will tell you that it was Mr Corbyn and Brexit that made me switch to voting Tory - the same as it did for millions of us - but hey you knew that I am sure.

I think Billy Bunter, with jam round his mouth. puts up a more credible argument for not him stealing and eating the 'tuck'

........than ever do your ridiculous bleats about you being a Labour voter
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 20:04 - May 14 with 1252 viewssyntaxerror

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:33 - May 14 by Steve_M

This thread is interesting, and plausible. That the government prioritised a trade deal with India over public health:

Or the accompanying story:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-the-three-days-in-april-that-may-have-fuelle

This is spot on.
Boris was due to fly to India for trade talks, and adding India to the red list would have put him in a difficult position both with regard to his travel, and the fact that the Indian government were refusing to admit that India was in the midst of a very bad wave of infections.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 20:13 - May 14 with 1240 viewsbluelagos

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:55 - May 14 by J2BLUE

It's clearly not safe though is it? How many polls have we seen where people admit they don't bother isolating on their return? We've had people coming to this country via Turkey to avoid the costs of mandatory quarantine. Are we supposed to believe they'll do it at home? The only effective thing would be mandatary isolation at your own expense when entering the country. Anything less is a massive hole in the government's strategy. There is so much you'd naturally not trust the government on. Why do you trust them on this?

I'm not sure I do. I am just of the opinion that the benefits from living our lives - and the damage from constant lockdowns are so great - that we have to strike a sensible balance.

Am not sure those making the rules always get it right (Clearly too late in putting India on the red list it seems) but I am not going to blame those travelers from India who followed the rules that applied.

Those who broke rules - yep not good. But the vast majority am sure complied with the testing / isolating requirements in place at the time.

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 20:14 - May 14 with 1244 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:54 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

So if I have understood correctly, and allow me to paraphrase a little, as a left of centre voter you couldn't "hold your nose" and vote for Labour despite Corbyn because the Brexit policy was to hold a second referendum pitting a workable plan against remain. But you could hold your nose and vote for the Conservatives despite the years you have resided on the left of the political spectrum witnessing at first hand how divisive their policies have been because they promised to "get Brexit done" (whatever that meant).

That about it? The reason you voted for the Conservatives was Brexit and those decades of a left of centre personal ideology needed to be put to one side to secure our exit from the EU?

If I have that right I guess it is safe to assume that, now Corbyn no longer leads the party and Brexit is "done", that Labour can look forward to re-securing your vote at the next general election.
[Post edited 14 May 2021 20:15]

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 20:17 - May 14 with 1226 viewsSitfcB

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:51 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

No Blue Badger, not at all. Your constant tirade towards a government that is far from perfect, along with so many others on here, does nothing but push more voters towards them.
Any government needs a strong opposition - all we have at the moment is thousands of Captain Hindsights, thousands of those so far left they are in danger of falling off their pedestals and thousands of folk with no alternate medicine/policies/ideas at all.
I, for the best part of 65 years was a left of centre voter - it is the likes of you, that convinces the likes of me to have no truck with the left until some semblance of common sense is restored.
Posts like the one you have made is music to the ears of those you wish to defeat...
I remember the days when a crisis such as covid would have resulted in parties uniting and working together - you and your ilk are doing more damage to the left than you realise.
This Indian variant is troublesome, and needs us all pulling together to defeat it. Thank goodness the majority of folk on these islands understand that, whatever political persuasions we hold.

So it isn’t Boris’ fault, it’s someone near him?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 20:20 - May 14 with 1215 viewsHARRY10

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:57 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

The public have certainly come together - I wholeheartedly agree; It is the political parties that have not cooperated.

absolute nonsense

much of the spread is by the public disregarding the lockdown

and no weasel words from you will shift an ounce of blame away from the government onto other political parties, as decsions on

purchasing PPE

lockdowns

quarantine rules

discharging patients from hospital

are all decisions made by the government, as even you know
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 20:22 - May 14 with 1219 viewsSitfcB

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:19 - May 14 by You_Bloo_Right

I'm not interested in your spat with Badger.

What I would like to understand, though, is how a self-proclaimed one time left-leaning person ends up voting for the Conservatives at any level. I get you don't like what you think the Labour party has become but what reasons could a person with such a history have to vote for the Tories?

Because it’s all Labours fault...

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 20:25 - May 14 with 1205 viewsMullet

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:11 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

It is not necessarily BB that you point it out consistently, it is your cowardly name calling and actual belief that you are the pillar of society that we should all look up to; in reality you and your like are turning thousands away from the party that loads of us have supported for years.: but then you would never listen to the millions of us that have stopped voting labour would you. Remember I have a very long list of your continual cowardly name calling of us that think different to you regarding the current political landscape.
You need to get out more and speak/listen/mix with real folk with real aspirations and ambitions instead of making out that we are all second rate citizens if we do not follow The Badger Way.

So this name calling and judgemental attitude you have such a problem with.....?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 20:31 - May 14 with 1173 viewsJ2BLUE

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 20:13 - May 14 by bluelagos

I'm not sure I do. I am just of the opinion that the benefits from living our lives - and the damage from constant lockdowns are so great - that we have to strike a sensible balance.

Am not sure those making the rules always get it right (Clearly too late in putting India on the red list it seems) but I am not going to blame those travelers from India who followed the rules that applied.

Those who broke rules - yep not good. But the vast majority am sure complied with the testing / isolating requirements in place at the time.

We'll have to agree to strongly disagree! There are plenty of things which are legal but you still wouldn't do. I do agree that the government are mostly to blame but I also think people could see this coming a mile off and still doing it, despite knowing the risks, even with permission is just totally wrong. IMO.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 20:32 - May 14 with 1166 views26_Paz

As long as this variant isn’t resistant to the vaccine we shouldn’t have too much of a problem. Whitty pretty much said that. That’s the key, guess we’ll find out in the next couple of weeks.

The Paz Man

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 20:33 - May 14 with 1160 viewsVic

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 18:33 - May 14 by BlueBadger

Is the answer 'because the government are corrupt, incompetent sociopaths'?

No!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 20:57 - May 14 with 1112 viewsHARRY10

"Where are the questions from the journalists about this? All I saw was questions about the future that have already been answered with "depends and don't know". Where is the Labour Party holding the Government and its advisors to task? Yvette Cooper is the only person i've seen ask the question. "

I think you have answered your question

The government are allowed to ignore questions from the media, and when in the house simply lie through their teeth.

There is virtually no mechanism to make them accountable, beyond an election

And what there is via the Electoral Commission we have in response the witless bleats from Hartlepool voters that there is too much focus on 'the cost of wallpaper'. As if alleged corruption is of no importance, or maybe could be part of the treason their area is not flowing with milk and honey

As to Yvette Cooper her questioning was most likely reported because she chairs the home office affairs committee. However what sanctions does that committee have to deal with a corrupt and incompetent government.

The real power lies with voters - who as seen have not only presided over this huge failing, but backed it.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 21:02 - May 14 with 1103 viewsm14_blue

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 20:32 - May 14 by 26_Paz

As long as this variant isn’t resistant to the vaccine we shouldn’t have too much of a problem. Whitty pretty much said that. That’s the key, guess we’ll find out in the next couple of weeks.

I didn’t watch the presser, did they seem confident that the vaccine would still be effective?
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 21:07 - May 14 with 1094 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 21:02 - May 14 by m14_blue

I didn’t watch the presser, did they seem confident that the vaccine would still be effective?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57109660

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 21:12 - May 14 with 1079 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 20:14 - May 14 by You_Bloo_Right

So if I have understood correctly, and allow me to paraphrase a little, as a left of centre voter you couldn't "hold your nose" and vote for Labour despite Corbyn because the Brexit policy was to hold a second referendum pitting a workable plan against remain. But you could hold your nose and vote for the Conservatives despite the years you have resided on the left of the political spectrum witnessing at first hand how divisive their policies have been because they promised to "get Brexit done" (whatever that meant).

That about it? The reason you voted for the Conservatives was Brexit and those decades of a left of centre personal ideology needed to be put to one side to secure our exit from the EU?

If I have that right I guess it is safe to assume that, now Corbyn no longer leads the party and Brexit is "done", that Labour can look forward to re-securing your vote at the next general election.
[Post edited 14 May 2021 20:15]

YBR - I can unashamedly say that your summation is pretty much it. Myself and a few million others alike.
If Labour do not get our vote at the next general election, they will not win it. Ideology is one thing, reality of course is another.
There are many on here quick to judge, taking the moral high ground, knowing that their anonymity means we will never find out what they are really like as upstanding citizens.
Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 21:13 - May 14 with 1079 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 19:11 - May 14 by Timefliesbyintheblue

It is not necessarily BB that you point it out consistently, it is your cowardly name calling and actual belief that you are the pillar of society that we should all look up to; in reality you and your like are turning thousands away from the party that loads of us have supported for years.: but then you would never listen to the millions of us that have stopped voting labour would you. Remember I have a very long list of your continual cowardly name calling of us that think different to you regarding the current political landscape.
You need to get out more and speak/listen/mix with real folk with real aspirations and ambitions instead of making out that we are all second rate citizens if we do not follow The Badger Way.

What was it about the Labour Party of old that had you hooked that you now think the Conservatives are delivering for you ya silly sod?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 21:19 - May 14 with 1068 viewsborge

Indian Variant - Absolutely livid. on 20:31 - May 14 by J2BLUE

We'll have to agree to strongly disagree! There are plenty of things which are legal but you still wouldn't do. I do agree that the government are mostly to blame but I also think people could see this coming a mile off and still doing it, despite knowing the risks, even with permission is just totally wrong. IMO.

I don't like to see you two arguing....!

Isn't the reality a combination of the points you both make? The government has been incompetent with many elements of its response. Its decision making is too often driven by self-interest, economic 'well-being' and kowtowing to Steve Baker and the other idiots on the right of the party. At the same time, don't we have a collective responsibility to make sensible decisions? Just because we're allowed to do something doesn't make it sensible. We could all stop working from home but luckily many of us don't. We could all go abroad as of Monday but luckily many of us won't.

I do however think that certain rules should be a lot stricter. Why are they 'offering' tests door to door in Bradford, Blackburn etc? Surely tests should be compulsory. Why are they allowing travel agents to book stop over trips in Instanbul for people travelling from India so that they can avoid hotel quarantine? Why do passport control queues mix people who are required to go to spend time in hotel quarantine with people who aren't?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024