Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone ever had hypnosis? 14:18 - Jul 13 with 2058 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I've always suffered from a fear of heights, but It got worse a few years ago after being involved in a motorway accident whilst driving over a suspension bridge.

Now, I'll try to find alternative routes so I don't have to go over bridges at all. It's something I'd like to get fixed if I can as it can be really debilitating.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 14:27 - Jul 13 with 1588 viewsJ2BLUE

Yea. Didn't work. I fell asleep and afterwards he just said "that just shows you were relaxed and taking it all in".

Bullsh1t. Not saying none of it works but it didn't for me. 6 sessions at something like £75 an hour.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 14:28 - Jul 13 with 1567 viewsRyorry

Yeah, for back pain - was actually recommended by the orthopaedic surgeon after a lumbar back op in the 1970s.

Didn't work as the hypnotist didn't manage to get me hypnotised - unsurprisingly, as he seemed to me a bit of a slimeball who I couldn't trust one little bit!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 14:34 - Jul 13 with 1553 viewsgiant_stow

Yeah ages back I had a few sesssions to try and beat my OCD.

In my case, it didn't work, but I'm told that not everyone is susceptable to hypnosis.

To back that up, my very heavy smoking Dad had a session to help in give up years back and it actually helped him hugely.

THink the main thing is to be careful who you go to as there are some charletons out there.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 14:44 - Jul 13 with 1530 viewsMattinLondon

Yeah.
A few seasons ago Paul Lambert hypnotised me into thinking that ‘he got it’ and that everything was great. Took me a while to snap away from it - thankfully I did.

No side efforts apart from a hatred of the phrase ‘it’s nae normal’.
Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 14:46 - Jul 13 with 1512 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 14:44 - Jul 13 by MattinLondon

Yeah.
A few seasons ago Paul Lambert hypnotised me into thinking that ‘he got it’ and that everything was great. Took me a while to snap away from it - thankfully I did.

Yeah the little sod did that to me too. 'Dortmund' was the trigger word.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 14:49 - Jul 13 with 1500 viewsBlueAlex

You might want to look into EMDR, which is a specific approach used by some psychologists to help people following traumatic incidents such as the one you describe.

I am a clinical psychologist but it's not an approach I'm trained in. It is however one that it is in high demand and one that I know works for many. There is a solid evidence base too. I've deliberately not included any further information so that you can research/make your mind up yourself.

Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you choose to go for.
Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 14:50 - Jul 13 with 1494 viewsMattinLondon

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 14:46 - Jul 13 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah the little sod did that to me too. 'Dortmund' was the trigger word.

In some cases the hypnosis must damage some individuals long term memory as apparently it didn’t work on them.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 14:53]
Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 14:52 - Jul 13 with 1472 viewsWallingford_Boy

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 14:28 - Jul 13 by Ryorry

Yeah, for back pain - was actually recommended by the orthopaedic surgeon after a lumbar back op in the 1970s.

Didn't work as the hypnotist didn't manage to get me hypnotised - unsurprisingly, as he seemed to me a bit of a slimeball who I couldn't trust one little bit!

Hypnosis to get over a bad back?! Never heard of that one!

I would try it.... but I think its all a lot of nonsese, so doubt it would work for me!

RIP Sir Bobby

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 14:52 - Jul 13 with 1496 viewsfactual_blue

I can remember somebody telling me some years ago that first you need to understand whether one's fear comes from the fact that you want to jump from the height, or whether you'll fall.

But I can't remember any more than that.

Not a lot of help really.*

*This could be my motto.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 14:54 - Jul 13 with 1451 viewsKeno

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 14:50 - Jul 13 by MattinLondon

In some cases the hypnosis must damage some individuals long term memory as apparently it didn’t work on them.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 14:53]

I cant remember if Ive been hypnotised but oddly when I hear the rooster I start acting like a big cock

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 15:03 - Jul 13 with 1427 viewsfooters

I invested in a tape to help with the same issue, vertigo etc. Only been using it for a few months, maybe a day or two a week, before bed. Can't really vouch for its efficacy as have barely left the house during lockdown!

Was fairly cheap as a one-off. Will see if I can find the site if it's of any interest. Have to nip this stuff in the bud before it becomes debilitating, as my dear mother with her driving.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 15:06]

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 15:06 - Jul 13 with 1421 viewsfooters

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 14:52 - Jul 13 by factual_blue

I can remember somebody telling me some years ago that first you need to understand whether one's fear comes from the fact that you want to jump from the height, or whether you'll fall.

*This could be my motto.

I've heard similar, that that particular fear is your subconscious struggling with the ability to just jump off and basically having your mortality in your hands.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 15:36 - Jul 13 with 1341 viewsBlueBadger

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 14:44 - Jul 13 by MattinLondon

Yeah.

I will never forgive him for making me resent anyone who tries to buy me a beer.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 15:37 - Jul 13 with 1340 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 15:03 - Jul 13 by footers

I invested in a tape to help with the same issue, vertigo etc. Only been using it for a few months, maybe a day or two a week, before bed. Can't really vouch for its efficacy as have barely left the house during lockdown!

Was fairly cheap as a one-off. Will see if I can find the site if it's of any interest. Have to nip this stuff in the bud before it becomes debilitating, as my dear mother with her driving.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 15:06]

I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 15:38 - Jul 13 with 1337 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 14:52 - Jul 13 by factual_blue

*This could be my motto.

It's definitely fear of falling. I avoid deep level underground stations as the same thing happens to me on the escalators.

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 15:39 - Jul 13 with 1333 viewsMattinLondon

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 15:36 - Jul 13 by BlueBadger

I will never forgive him for making me resent anyone who tries to buy me a beer.

Is that because you’re a Malibu man?
Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 15:44 - Jul 13 with 1330 viewsCaptainAhab

Yes, I had hypnotherapy for a while, to help with anxiety, in particular in the run up to being best-man which was really stressing me out.
I would highly, highly recommend it, so long as you're with the right person.
The thing that surprised me is how different it was from my preconceptions, I never felt like I was "hypnotised" or in any way out of control, remaining conscious, just deeply relaxed. I'd almost call it guided meditation, rather than hypnosis. In some ways I'd say it was life changing for me, I still listen to some sessions for relaxation and use some of the techniques I learnt.
It could really help you as a form of therapy and I can't see why it wouldn't be worth a go.
FYI I saw Helen Wyer, I think from Advance Hypnotherapy in Ipswich.

*Edited for terrible spelling
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 15:48]
Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 15:44 - Jul 13 with 1331 viewshype313

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 15:38 - Jul 13 by Cheltenham_Blue

It's definitely fear of falling. I avoid deep level underground stations as the same thing happens to me on the escalators.

I'm equally fearful of Heights, it's got worse as I've got older, and someone told me it was a fear of falling not a fear of heights, which makes sense as I love nothing more than looking out of a plane window looking at the place I'm visiting from a great height because I knoe rationally I'm safe.

Ask me to walk around the top of Framlingham Castle and I'd pass out.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 17:45 - Jul 13 with 1244 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I tried lots of alternative therapies for anxiety/social phobia many years ago. Tried various hypnotherapists and all any of it did was relieve me of time and money. The thing that worked - and changed my life - was CBT. I'd highly recommend that (if you can find a decent practitioner).

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 17:51 - Jul 13 with 1228 viewsjeera

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 15:44 - Jul 13 by hype313

I'm equally fearful of Heights, it's got worse as I've got older, and someone told me it was a fear of falling not a fear of heights, which makes sense as I love nothing more than looking out of a plane window looking at the place I'm visiting from a great height because I knoe rationally I'm safe.

Ask me to walk around the top of Framlingham Castle and I'd pass out.

It's certainly a funny one.

I did a parachute jump expecting to conquer my difficulty with heights.

I thoroughly enjoyed the jump but still can't get up a [tall] ladder.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 18:00 - Jul 13 with 1208 viewshype313

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 17:51 - Jul 13 by jeera

In the early 80s my mother decided that she wanted to overcome her fear of heights by doing a parachute jump at the old Ipswich airfield, she managed to do it but she said afterwards it made things worse...

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 18:02 - Jul 13 with 1200 viewsMattinLondon

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 17:51 - Jul 13 by jeera

This is going to sound daft but is it because you felt safer when you did your parachute jump?

As long as I feel safe I don’t have a fear of heights - but a wobbly ladder when only a couple or so metres up makes me feel quite scared.
Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 18:06 - Jul 13 with 1197 viewsjeera

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 18:02 - Jul 13 by MattinLondon

This is going to sound daft but is it because you felt safer when you did your parachute jump?

As long as I feel safe I don’t have a fear of heights - but a wobbly ladder when only a couple or so metres up makes me feel quite scared.

Yep, felt secure; well-strapped into the harness like one of those baby bouncing things.

Don't get me wrong, getting out of the plane has every nerve in your body screaming at you that you're a moron, but once the short fall is over and the chute is up you feel safe as houses and just enjoy the view.

Then you come crashing to the ground a few minutes later but that's another story.

Point is, as you say, I still don't feel safe up a ladder which I thought would be a doddle after doing that.

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 18:08 - Jul 13 with 1193 viewsjeera

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 18:00 - Jul 13 by hype313

In the early 80s my mother decided that she wanted to overcome her fear of heights by doing a parachute jump at the old Ipswich airfield, she managed to do it but she said afterwards it made things worse...

At first I thought that said in her early 80s!

Mine was at Ipswich too, early 90s-ish.

Bloke in front of me lost it completely and had to be 'helped' out the door.

He did everything wrong and crossed the A14, landing in the Shell garage lorry park over the road. They reckoned they'd never seen that before.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 18:10]

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 18:10 - Jul 13 with 1181 viewshype313

Anyone ever had hypnosis? on 18:08 - Jul 13 by jeera

At first I thought that said in her early 80s!

Mine was at Ipswich too, early 90s-ish.

Bloke in front of me lost it completely and had to be 'helped' out the door.

He did everything wrong and crossed the A14, landing in the Shell garage lorry park over the road. They reckoned they'd never seen that before.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 18:10]

Still, they do a nice array of pasties in there.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024