Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? 20:25 - Aug 19 with 6442 viewsPippin1970

8 or 9 for myself, late 70s , then obviously those 3 yrs when we dominates under Robson. Living up in Yorkshire at time with mainly Leeds fans at school.
How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 11:18 - Aug 20 with 1286 viewsitfcjoe

First game was just after Xmas 1991 when I was 6.

Barely missed a home game since bar a few months when I was between going with my Uncle to some of my Dad's friends and went infrequently which was 94/95

I assume I didn't go to all the night games when I was little as well - but 30 years now

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 11:21 - Aug 20 with 1278 viewsITFC_RDM

I never had a choice... so the day I was Born. Attended my first game away at Wigan when I was 3 in 1992.
How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 11:21 - Aug 20 with 1279 viewsKieran_Knows

How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 11:00 - Aug 20 by ArnieM

Nope, I used to live in the flats right next to the school in Defoe Rd …. I Was alway late for school too lol !!

Ha, I know where you mean! How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? My old man went to Thurleston, he was a Whitton boy.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 12:42 - Aug 20 with 1235 viewsOldboy

We share all that in common, except the Yorkshire thing obviously.
How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 12:50 - Aug 20 with 1227 viewsTractorWood

4/5. I remember the noise, the atmosphere the sense of togetherness and the primal reactions between home and away as the game ebbed and flowed. Still feelings I get today.

Nothing beats a last minute winner, a drab game being totally forgotten by seconds of genius or that rush of hope that comes with an equaliser late in the second half.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 12:54 - Aug 20 with 1225 viewstimothyeo

So, long-ish story I guess.

I wasn't born in Suffolk but moved at an early age, must have been 5 or 6. Started with no interest in football but by 8 I was hooked.

Without going into things I don't want to, moved away for most of my life but a really unusual turn of events meant that 12 years ago I was doing some coaching at what was at the time a League Two club. Absolutely loved it but it also meant I practically stopped 'supporting' Ipswich in every viable sense other than checking results, but it just became impossible.

Now I still rarely get to go to Portman Road despite being much closer but enjoying this forum etc as a place to discuss.
How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 12:58 - Aug 20 with 1219 viewsChurchman

How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 10:30 - Aug 20 by Bluespeed225

Loved the name John O’Rourke as a kid, so Dad would update me on things, then he took me, April 72’, lost to Sheffield Utd, hooked. PR, apart from my Aunts house on Chantry where’s she lived since 56’, is the longest connection in my life.

John O’Rourke scored in the first game I attended in March 68. Crawford score too, but was ancient, so JO’R was my absolute hero, with his mop of black hair and a goal every week. 50+ years on, my sister still mocks me about it.

I was devastated when he left a year or two later.
How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 14:30 - Aug 20 with 1186 viewssw20tractor

6 years old. Early Eighties, Town 3 Everton 0. My mum managed to get tickets to the Everton directors box courtesy of Howard Kendall. The team were staying at the Moat house where my mum worked. Hooked ever since.
Login to get fewer ads

How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 14:58 - Aug 20 with 1165 viewsgtsb1966

On a side note I do remember the admission fee for me in 1974 was 30p!!!
How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 15:11 - Aug 20 with 1149 viewsstopmoaning

I don't remember my first game, I've just thought of myself as having supported them since I was born - although, obviously I didn't really. I've moved all over the country/world since being born in Ipswich, and I just cannot support any other sporting team in the same way. I've tried following the local team up where I live now, and I look at their scores, but I couldn't name their squad like I've always been able to with town.

It's weird.
How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 15:15 - Aug 20 with 1148 viewsFartman

6 yrs and 56 days old for me. Were supposed to watch Platini of St. Etienne against Town, but ended up falling in love with the side in blue and white from Suffolk. Mariner's header made me rave about him to my dad. Town became my club from that day, and Mariner my hero and alter ego on the field.

"Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts." -- Winston S. Churchill

How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 15:18 - Aug 20 with 1141 viewsnorth_stand77

How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 14:58 - Aug 20 by gtsb1966

On a side note I do remember the admission fee for me in 1974 was 30p!!!

Ha! I still have my Wembley FA Cup Final ticket - cost £2.50!!
How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 16:42 - Aug 20 with 1097 viewsnorfsufblue

How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 15:18 - Aug 20 by north_stand77

Ha! I still have my Wembley FA Cup Final ticket - cost £2.50!!

So do I... but my first game after I moved into suffolk was when my mates dad offered to take me.. 22nd September 1973... bit of a gloryhunter me ..getting on bandwagon after Town beating Real Madrid ... was a beautiful day and Town beat Burnley 3-2 in a belting game.... was impossible not to get hooked!!!
How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 16:56 - Aug 20 with 1087 viewsblue62

Was thinking about this, got to be late 60s, I remember standing on a wooden step that I carried to the game so I could see over the wall at the front of the old west stand.

Also remember having to sit on the grass around the edge of the pitch as the stands were so rammed, not sure if that was a Liverpool game or the Leeds one.
How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 17:00 - Aug 20 with 1085 viewsBluespeed225

How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 15:11 - Aug 20 by stopmoaning

I don't remember my first game, I've just thought of myself as having supported them since I was born - although, obviously I didn't really. I've moved all over the country/world since being born in Ipswich, and I just cannot support any other sporting team in the same way. I've tried following the local team up where I live now, and I look at their scores, but I couldn't name their squad like I've always been able to with town.

It's weird.

I can’t name our squad now!
How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 17:53 - Aug 20 with 1057 viewsFBI

9 and a half, November '76. I'd been to the Hawthorns in '75 to see Albion vs Blackburn but was too young to appreciate it. By '76 we lived in Clare and my dad said we should go and support our hometown team...

Mariner's home debut (and THAT goal), Whymark bagged four and I was lost forever.

Two sidenotes: Went to Wembley in '78 on Johnny Wark-donated comps cos the feller my mum was seeing at the time was a mate of his - and a Cadbury's rep who did everything possible to buy my favour... successfully. She dumped him the week before but we still went :-D

My first ever game attended on my own, with no company? Cheltenham on Tuesday. Aged 54 and a bit. Awesome trip except the result. Possibly because I ended up standing next to Yorkshire Mike :-D Oh, and a fight between some p!ssed teachers and some equally p!ssed teens on the train from Bristol...

And a side - side note: My mate Keith used to drive a young lad named Norwood to kids' football competitions...

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 18:00 - Aug 20 with 1039 viewsDJR

How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 16:56 - Aug 20 by blue62

Was thinking about this, got to be late 60s, I remember standing on a wooden step that I carried to the game so I could see over the wall at the front of the old west stand.

Also remember having to sit on the grass around the edge of the pitch as the stands were so rammed, not sure if that was a Liverpool game or the Leeds one.

Mention of a wooden step brings back memories of wooden rattles. I am not quite sure when they went out of fashion but they were certainly about in the late 60s.
As regards the game you mentioned, I think it must have been the Leeds FA Cup game, our record attendance, which was 3,000 above capacity. I was in the North Stand for the first half and the crush was so great that some of the metal barriers broke. At half time, I was able to walk along the pitch and get into the Churchmans which was less crowded
How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 19:40 - Aug 20 with 993 viewsGogs

I was coming up to 4, after the FA Cup final in 78. Before then I liked Arsenal as they had Pat Rice playing for them. He was my favourite as I associated him with my favourite food, Curry (I wasn't aware of Tony Currie at that time, and Darren 'Slow winger' Currie was far too late). But even after 78 I liked Wolves as well as I had a Wolves 'Old Gold' coloured t-shirt. I was well aware of how good Ipswich were at that time, my older brothers used to go all the while, and on my 7th birthday in June 1981 I got a knitted Town Jumper, hat and scarf so I was getting more and more keen to go see us play, as I was just about considered old enough by my parents. Wasn't until 10 October 1981 when I went to my first game though, a 1-0 win against Wolves, Kevin O'Callaghan scoring and at that point I fully nailed my colours to the mast. But if pushed to name premier league sides I like, it'd still be Wolves and Arsenal
How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 19:41 - Aug 20 with 992 views3_5_2

1970. First game was arsenal at home

Just realised I have been following itfc for 50 years !

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 19:47 - Aug 20 with 989 viewsChurchman

How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 18:00 - Aug 20 by DJR

Mention of a wooden step brings back memories of wooden rattles. I am not quite sure when they went out of fashion but they were certainly about in the late 60s.
As regards the game you mentioned, I think it must have been the Leeds FA Cup game, our record attendance, which was 3,000 above capacity. I was in the North Stand for the first half and the crush was so great that some of the metal barriers broke. At half time, I was able to walk along the pitch and get into the Churchmans which was less crowded

Talking of rattles, for my first game I was bought a rosette, programme, a pin badge and a scarf. I was indulged! The scarf to the Cup Final 10 years later and was in later years lost by my misses.

How we are still married I’ll never know. I don’t think any divorce lawyer would have found in her favour after that crime!
How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 22:53 - Aug 20 with 939 viewsClareBlue

6 in 1974 on holiday in Suffolk. Another brought up in Yorkshire surrounded by Leeds fans. Elland Rd was out of bounds as it was so dangerous.PR was like another world and stayed with them ever since.
How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 23:31 - Aug 20 with 921 viewsRadlett_blue

How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 18:00 - Aug 20 by DJR

Hillsborough had been an accident waiting to happen for years.
I followed Man Utd as an impressionable 10 year old because my best friend did. However, after watching Town v Man U draw 0-0 live in 1971 aged 14, I became a Town fan & a regular at PR, partly because it was considered a safe enough ground for a 14 year old to visit on his own.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 07:44 - Aug 21 with 873 viewsZurichBlue

10 years old, 1968. First game 2-2 v QPR.
How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 08:02 - Aug 21 with 866 viewsZurichBlue

How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 16:56 - Aug 20 by blue62

I remember sitting on the grass in front of the West Stand when we beat Man Utd 4-0. What a win that was against a team with George Best, Bobby Charlton, Nobby Styles and Dennis Law. I was also lucky enough to see us beat them 6-0 about 10 years later, though I was North Stand regular by then!
How old were you when you started supporting Ipswich? on 08:25 - Aug 21 with 857 viewsaceviljoen

1960 13 years old
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024