Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
do any of you think cook should go right now? 15:46 - Sep 13 with 10762 viewspositivity

and if so, why?

(i think it's too early to make a call)

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 19:43 - Sep 13 with 2954 viewsBlueBadger

He should have up until the point Keane and Hurst should have gotten the sack.

So, end of September, basically.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 20:14 - Sep 13 with 2913 viewsreusersfreekicks

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 15:47 - Sep 13 by itfcjoe

No

WOuld I be disappointed if he did? No

Agreed
do any of you think cook should go right now? on 01:00 - Sep 14 with 2784 viewsHighgateBlue

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 19:24 - Sep 13 by mylittletown

Given his previous record, I probably should feel a lot more comfortable, but I am getting very worried by all the witless cliches.

And the results?
do any of you think cook should go right now? on 01:12 - Sep 14 with 2782 viewsHighgateBlue

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 18:28 - Sep 13 by pennyfathersleg

This for me. He has been the manager of ITFC for 24 games, half a season. We have won 4 (FOUR) of those games. We all know the team needed a reboot, but, when he took over, we were on the verge of the playoffs. We got progressively worse after his arrival (he was supposed to be an improvement on Lambert). The division was shockingly bad last season; we should have at least finished in the playoffs. We have got progressively worse this season also. There was absolutely no positives in the second half on Saturday (and most of the first half). Not even any fight/effort.

Last season we had the best defence in the league right? Why rip that all up and start again? The issue was going forward. By all means rip that up and start again. I’m sure that Skuse and Downes (yes he wanted to go but he still had a contract) would have done a much better job than Evans and Harper.

Having no assistant and a coaching team with no experience is also a big issue for me. He clearly doesn’t have a plan B. Saturday was a prime example. Surely with an experienced assistant, they would have seen that? Why hasn’t employed one!?

If Morsy doesn’t come good very quickly, Cook may not last long anyway.

I agree with Hurst comparison.

Having said all this, I hope to dear god he proves me wrong!!!

Yes, I've been saying this about the defence all season. Such kid-in-a-sweet-shop arrogance to dump all the players, including our player of the season, and think he can just drop whoever he wants into place and they'll be better. We're conceding more than twice as many as last year.

I am glad that more fans are now starting to realise that defending is important. The mood for the first few games was "we're playing better than last year, we're just not winning". Now the comments are much more "we're better going forward, but we're worse overall". The latter is just so obviously correct. Good football does not equal pretty going forward! Losing 5-2 at home should remind everyone of that. 1-0 at home would be just dandy right now, wouldn't it? But I'm not sure that Cook, with his 2-7-1 formation is ever going to get us that...
do any of you think cook should go right now? on 04:26 - Sep 14 with 2748 viewsshamboy

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 16:34 - Sep 13 by Funge

I said this at fulltime on Saturday, and still haven't really calmed down...

He's an absolute, total lemon; as inept as Paul Hurst, on the current showing.

Given full licence to rip up a team (that absolutely needed ripping up, by the way), and then replaced with all the players he might want.

He's put a coaching structure in place that is woefully inadequate - just like Hurst. What the actual fck were the keeper and back 4 doing for the last 2 weeks? 4 out of the 5 Bolton goals were horrific (I thought their 1st was nicely done, tbf…)

He's done absolutely nothing whatsoever in his time here, to justify any degree of support at all.

The owners, backroom management and players are all good enough - he palpably isn't.

We look better going forwards than last year, no doubt - but to defend like that, after 2 uninterrupted weeks on the training pitch, against a team who were in Division 4 last year - it's absolutely inept.

And now we're betting the farm on Samy Morsy being the enforcer of all midfield enforcers.

I have absolutely no idea who we get in to fix this mess, by the way. Roy Race?

So, you think Gamechangers should go to their investors, cap in hand, asking for another £6-7m to change the entire management team?

Script that request for me please, as I think it is likely to be met with incredulity and mistrust. In fact it could cause serious fissures in the relationship as whatever contingencies have been foreseen, it won't include that.
do any of you think cook should go right now? on 07:03 - Sep 14 with 2696 viewsFunge

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 04:26 - Sep 14 by shamboy

So, you think Gamechangers should go to their investors, cap in hand, asking for another £6-7m to change the entire management team?

Script that request for me please, as I think it is likely to be met with incredulity and mistrust. In fact it could cause serious fissures in the relationship as whatever contingencies have been foreseen, it won't include that.

No idea how we fix it.

The ITFC way under Evans was to bumble on through; I cant imagine that the Americans will follow suit.

'In fact it could cause serious fissures in the relationship as whatever contingencies have been foreseen, it won't include that.'

Mmmm. Righto.
do any of you think cook should go right now? on 07:11 - Sep 14 with 2691 viewsgordon

This is absolutely the problem. If you're controlling that pension fund, you've freed up a lot of cash on the basis that it's getting you gaurunteed promotion. Sacking Cook in September won't be in the budget, lol.
do any of you think cook should go right now? on 08:02 - Sep 14 with 2638 viewsHerbivore

£6-7m? Where have you plucked that figure from?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 11:00 - Sep 14 with 2544 viewstimothyeo

Really, we should have got rid at the end of last season but that is with a bit of hindsight and it's understandable why we didn't.

We have let him build an entire side from pretty much scratch though, so I think sacking him now would be entirely subject to how many players genuinely signed because of Cook etc - and of course - who's available and willing to come in as a replacement. We're not really privy to those facts.

A saving grace is this team that's been built is really high quality for League One and can probably be adapted to perform at this level under multiple playing styles of different managers.
do any of you think cook should go right now? on 11:45 - Sep 14 with 2519 viewsWoodbridgeblue1980

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 18:28 - Sep 13 by pennyfathersleg

This for me. He has been the manager of ITFC for 24 games, half a season. We have won 4 (FOUR) of those games. We all know the team needed a reboot, but, when he took over, we were on the verge of the playoffs. We got progressively worse after his arrival (he was supposed to be an improvement on Lambert). The division was shockingly bad last season; we should have at least finished in the playoffs. We have got progressively worse this season also. There was absolutely no positives in the second half on Saturday (and most of the first half). Not even any fight/effort.

Last season we had the best defence in the league right? Why rip that all up and start again? The issue was going forward. By all means rip that up and start again. I’m sure that Skuse and Downes (yes he wanted to go but he still had a contract) would have done a much better job than Evans and Harper.

Having no assistant and a coaching team with no experience is also a big issue for me. He clearly doesn’t have a plan B. Saturday was a prime example. Surely with an experienced assistant, they would have seen that? Why hasn’t employed one!?

If Morsy doesn’t come good very quickly, Cook may not last long anyway.

I agree with Hurst comparison.

Having said all this, I hope to dear god he proves me wrong!!!

Nailed it
do any of you think cook should go right now? on 12:19 - Sep 14 with 2487 viewsJDB23

The thing that worries me the most is we've brought in a lot of players who only really came here for Cook. If we sack him then it could get very messy and whoever comes in might have a real challenge in getting those players on board. I hope that's not the case and these players are model professionals, but we could be damned if we do, damned if we don't. What a club.
do any of you think cook should go right now? on 12:54 - Sep 14 with 2466 viewstextbackup

No.

i'd be gutted if he did, purely because he's got players in, and tailor made the squad for his needs/requiements where does that leave players that came only for him if he goes.

that said, saturday really worried me.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 13:00 - Sep 14 with 2449 viewsWilbrahamBlue

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 15:47 - Sep 13 by Herbivore

I don't think he should go yet, but if he was to go I wouldn't feel any real sympathy for him. Let's have it right, he's done a terrible job here over the last 6 months. It's still early days this season but if things don't turn soon he will go and he can have no complaints.

Do you think there are any mitigating circumstances at all? Like any?
do any of you think cook should go right now? on 13:00 - Sep 14 with 2449 viewsjayessess

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 07:11 - Sep 14 by gordon

This is absolutely the problem. If you're controlling that pension fund, you've freed up a lot of cash on the basis that it's getting you gaurunteed promotion. Sacking Cook in September won't be in the budget, lol.

I think this is overstated, really.

The current median tenure for a football league manager is 359 days. You'd have to be pretty negligent to pin everything on your current manager definitely being in post for the duration of their contract. The business plan will have provisions for what happens if we have to dismiss the manager and what happens if we spend more than 1 season at this level. The player recruitment might have been conducted with Cook's preferred tactics in mind, but he's far from the only coach to line up with some variation of 4-2-3-1. Any prospective replacement is going to be asked what they'd do with this group of players and know they'll have very little leeway in terms of January transfers.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 13:11 - Sep 14 with 2428 viewsHerbivore

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 13:00 - Sep 14 by WilbrahamBlue

Do you think there are any mitigating circumstances at all? Like any?

None that justify a record of 4 wins in 24 games. He's had us in relegation form since he came in. Neither last season's squad nor this one should be performing as badly as he's had us performing.

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 13:16 - Sep 14 with 2422 viewsWilbrahamBlue

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 01:12 - Sep 14 by HighgateBlue

Yes, I've been saying this about the defence all season. Such kid-in-a-sweet-shop arrogance to dump all the players, including our player of the season, and think he can just drop whoever he wants into place and they'll be better. We're conceding more than twice as many as last year.

I am glad that more fans are now starting to realise that defending is important. The mood for the first few games was "we're playing better than last year, we're just not winning". Now the comments are much more "we're better going forward, but we're worse overall". The latter is just so obviously correct. Good football does not equal pretty going forward! Losing 5-2 at home should remind everyone of that. 1-0 at home would be just dandy right now, wouldn't it? But I'm not sure that Cook, with his 2-7-1 formation is ever going to get us that...

- 'I've been saying this all season' (its 6 games in)

- 'We're conceding more than twice as many as last year' (scoring twice as many)

- 'fans are now starting to realise that defending is important' (who needs reminding of this? but what fan doesn't prefer a beautiful goal?)

JAMES WILSON - would you like him back?

you don't like change do you?

6 games in 10 goals scored, will take that over last 3 seasons by god. Does that mean i accept 15 goals conceded, of course not its crap. But I take this lot and what might develop this season every time over the last 5 years of Evans.
do any of you think cook should go right now? on 13:19 - Sep 14 with 2417 viewsWilbrahamBlue

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 13:11 - Sep 14 by Herbivore

None that justify a record of 4 wins in 24 games. He's had us in relegation form since he came in. Neither last season's squad nor this one should be performing as badly as he's had us performing.

You must remember the annual October to March months under Lambert where we were in relegation form each season thou? couldn't muster a shot for 3 games type-thing? relentless 0-0s or if we went behind that was it, best we can hope is 1-1 after 1 conceded we were done.

Its different, not all good right now obviously but I bet all of you baying for blood would laud any sort of replacement and then tear them apart within 5 weeks too.

What's the point?
do any of you think cook should go right now? on 13:23 - Sep 14 with 2410 viewsHerbivore

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 13:19 - Sep 14 by WilbrahamBlue

You must remember the annual October to March months under Lambert where we were in relegation form each season thou? couldn't muster a shot for 3 games type-thing? relentless 0-0s or if we went behind that was it, best we can hope is 1-1 after 1 conceded we were done.

Its different, not all good right now obviously but I bet all of you baying for blood would laud any sort of replacement and then tear them apart within 5 weeks too.

What's the point?

So because Lambert had long stints of being sh!t we shouldn't be concerned that Cook has delivered half a season of relegation form?

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 13:28 - Sep 14 with 2392 viewsWilbrahamBlue

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 13:23 - Sep 14 by Herbivore

So because Lambert had long stints of being sh!t we shouldn't be concerned that Cook has delivered half a season of relegation form?

Its not concern, its delirium...

So stick your neck out then:

what do you want to happen?
and by when?
and who is suitable to replace Cook?
What do they have to do to please you and by when?
What if they don't? continue the cycle?

Where is the harm in backing a guy who has been in a very unique situation so far and clearly is hugely motivated individual who has direct and recent relevant experience across several clubs?
[Post edited 14 Sep 2021 13:29]
do any of you think cook should go right now? on 13:34 - Sep 14 with 2370 viewsjayessess

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 13:19 - Sep 14 by WilbrahamBlue

What's the point?

I want a manager whose on pitch achievements approximately match the size of the budget entrusted to them. There are lots of managers who match or even succeed that standard and none of our managers since McCarthy have. Is it too much to ask?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 13:41 - Sep 14 with 2357 viewsWilbrahamBlue

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 13:34 - Sep 14 by jayessess

I want a manager whose on pitch achievements approximately match the size of the budget entrusted to them. There are lots of managers who match or even succeed that standard and none of our managers since McCarthy have. Is it too much to ask?

If you have judged that after 6 games of a season then you would only be happy supporting Chelsea or City i'm afraid..

i will respectfully ignore any response that chucks in the end of last season with a squad that all had contracts terminating and hadn't delivered for 3 seasons already and was widely recognised as the worst performing team for 50 years.

You must realistically expect us to climb the table ? or do you expect a relegation battle? stick your neck out....
[Post edited 14 Sep 2021 13:44]
do any of you think cook should go right now? on 14:06 - Sep 14 with 2301 viewsBlueBlood90

No.

I'd give him 10-15 games and see if there's an up-turn in fortunes. At that point there can be no excuses if players aren't fully fit or 'gelled' yet.

I am however worried that Cook may have been heavily reliant on Leam Richardson and his other backroom staff at Wigan who have all gone on to new jobs at a higher level than him/us and replaced them with complete newbies in Roberts, Jeffers etc.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2021 14:07]

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 14:16 - Sep 14 with 2276 viewsHerbivore

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 13:28 - Sep 14 by WilbrahamBlue

Its not concern, its delirium...

So stick your neck out then:

what do you want to happen?
and by when?
and who is suitable to replace Cook?
What do they have to do to please you and by when?
What if they don't? continue the cycle?

Where is the harm in backing a guy who has been in a very unique situation so far and clearly is hugely motivated individual who has direct and recent relevant experience across several clubs?
[Post edited 14 Sep 2021 13:29]

I want us to start winning games and I want us to do it immediately. If we do that then Cook will keep his job and we'll all be much happier. It's really not rocket science. He's done a really poor job so far but everyone hopes that changes, however he's been poor enough to date that I'll shed no tears if the owners pull the trigger any time soon if things don't improve.

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 14:25 - Sep 14 with 2272 viewsFacefacts

No.

They will give him 5 or 6 games after Morsy comes into the League One team. The Boro suspension means Paul Cook will get more time.

Paul Cook knows the league and wants to operate as he did at this level with other teams. The teams who overachieve are low budget, small squad, take a pride in battering big time charlies, together till I die clubs like Lincoln (slow start this season as Michael Appleton had to have time off over the summer) and Accrington. I include Portsmouth in this now that their budget is reduced and the Cowleys are managing, but even they are starting to struggle, although they are one of the clubs where the crowd are a constant 12th man. An exception is MK Dons but I don't think their style will get them promoted.

ITFC is a huge weight on Cook's shoulders as it is still the opposite club of most of the above characteristics. It is an elephant around his neck as players were allowed to run down their contracts over the past two years in mid table of League One. That will take time to heal.

All L1 opponents hate us as they hear we have 'bought the league' and raise their game to play against us.

I agree with the comment that Paul Cook made the defensive substitution on Saturday to stop Bolton scoring 7 or 8. Most managers would have done that. It's self preservation.

That is where we are. Easy to play against, easy to score against. Our crowd is not the ITID 12th man, it worries me that the crowd is already turning and we do not want the vitriolic atmosphere when Paul Cook is fighting to save his job.

What he should be telling the players is we have to fight off all these things to earn the right to play our football.

Coaching comes into it, but it is mental strength, desire and desperation to stop giving games away that is also needed.
do any of you think cook should go right now? on 14:29 - Sep 14 with 2266 viewsWilbrahamBlue

do any of you think cook should go right now? on 14:25 - Sep 14 by Facefacts

No.

They will give him 5 or 6 games after Morsy comes into the League One team. The Boro suspension means Paul Cook will get more time.

Paul Cook knows the league and wants to operate as he did at this level with other teams. The teams who overachieve are low budget, small squad, take a pride in battering big time charlies, together till I die clubs like Lincoln (slow start this season as Michael Appleton had to have time off over the summer) and Accrington. I include Portsmouth in this now that their budget is reduced and the Cowleys are managing, but even they are starting to struggle, although they are one of the clubs where the crowd are a constant 12th man. An exception is MK Dons but I don't think their style will get them promoted.

ITFC is a huge weight on Cook's shoulders as it is still the opposite club of most of the above characteristics. It is an elephant around his neck as players were allowed to run down their contracts over the past two years in mid table of League One. That will take time to heal.

All L1 opponents hate us as they hear we have 'bought the league' and raise their game to play against us.

I agree with the comment that Paul Cook made the defensive substitution on Saturday to stop Bolton scoring 7 or 8. Most managers would have done that. It's self preservation.

That is where we are. Easy to play against, easy to score against. Our crowd is not the ITID 12th man, it worries me that the crowd is already turning and we do not want the vitriolic atmosphere when Paul Cook is fighting to save his job.

What he should be telling the players is we have to fight off all these things to earn the right to play our football.

Coaching comes into it, but it is mental strength, desire and desperation to stop giving games away that is also needed.

Great post.

The desire of the teams we are facing has somehow been underestimated by most - its a huge factor. 20k crowds, stadium like ours, players we have, hysteria around us. its akin to a massive cup game for half the league at least, and a big motivating factor for all the others.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024