Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon 23:49 - Sep 16 with 5226 viewsunstableblue

It’s 2021!!
[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 23:49]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 18:44 - Sep 17 with 899 viewsWeWereZombies

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 18:16 - Sep 17 by HARRY10

Thats rather silly, as one of the notable things about the metric system is how impractical it is relation to quantifying things - hence so much of what we speak of is still imperial 9after years)

Miles per hour, miles per gallon

height is talked about in feet ie as with people and especially footballers

likewise weight, even new born babies are described as x number of lbs

clothes sizes - waist, length, collar size, shoes, even bust size .........

liquid is similarly spoke of in pints and gallons

wind speed and amount of snow/rain are in inches

and while a number of grocery items are now measured in metric, their actual size is that of the previous imperial - simply because metric does not work on a practical level

however the guff about greengrocers selling a pound of bananas is nothing more than a publicity stunt, where the desperation to distract from the almost complete failure of brexit is needed.

there is nothing wrong with how it works currently - metric allows the UK to harmonise with the EU, and imperial measurements allow folk to explain and understand things easier

a dozen eggs, free kick is ten yards away, never heard of a dick size ever being anything but inches, by a country mile, penalty box is still 18 yards, tv screen size is still in inches and if you buy a real xmas tree this year it will be measured in feet - not some silly millimetres

ps even cannabis is sold in ounces, and parts of....................or, so I have been told
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 18:18]

When it comes to bananas the measurement I would most like to see introduced is how thick the skin is, so that I can calculate now much banana there actually is per pound or kilo.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 21:31]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 19:17 - Sep 17 with 872 viewschicoazul

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 18:16 - Sep 17 by HARRY10

Thats rather silly, as one of the notable things about the metric system is how impractical it is relation to quantifying things - hence so much of what we speak of is still imperial 9after years)

and while a number of grocery items are now measured in metric, their actual size is that of the previous imperial - simply because metric does not work on a practical level

however the guff about greengrocers selling a pound of bananas is nothing more than a publicity stunt, where the desperation to distract from the almost complete failure of brexit is needed.

there is nothing wrong with how it works currently - metric allows the UK to harmonise with the EU, and imperial measurements allow folk to explain and understand things easier

a dozen eggs, free kick is ten yards away, never heard of a dick size ever being anything but inches, by a country mile, penalty box is still 18 yards, tv screen size is still in inches and if you buy a real xmas tree this year it will be measured in feet - not some silly millimetres

ps even cannabis is sold in ounces, and parts of....................or, so I have been told

Typical rightie talk

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 19:58 - Sep 17 with 832 viewsDanTheMan

You're saying it's impractical, listing off things in the UK some people talk about in imperial terms without saying why they are impractical.

Why is it impractical so say someone is 75KG instead of 11 stone?

Why is it impractical to drive in KM an hour instead of miles?

The rest of the world manages it.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 20:05 - Sep 17 with 826 viewsGlasgowBlue

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 19:58 - Sep 17 by DanTheMan

You're saying it's impractical, listing off things in the UK some people talk about in imperial terms without saying why they are impractical.

It must be an age thing. If you told me somebody was 75KG I wouldn’t have a clue whether they were skinny of fat. If you tell me somebody is 11 stone I can picture them straight away.

I’ve been running for about 15 years now and it’s only this year I’ve stated using KM rather than miles. And that’s only because it looks better on my stats to say I’ve done 200 KM this month rather than 125 miles.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 20:19 - Sep 17 with 810 viewsDigger77

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 19:58 - Sep 17 by DanTheMan

Lots of other countries have their own systems of measurement I think. Japan being one (I think)

Imperial measurement originated from Rome. So we're doing it the Euro way!
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 20:33 - Sep 17 with 793 viewsstonojnr

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 20:05 - Sep 17 by GlasgowBlue

It must be an age thing. If you told me somebody was 75KG I wouldn’t have a clue whether they were skinny of fat. If you tell me somebody is 11 stone I can picture them straight away.

I’ve been running for about 15 years now and it’s only this year I’ve stated using KM rather than miles. And that’s only because it looks better on my stats to say I’ve done 200 KM this month rather than 125 miles.

Ive a better idea thesedays on weight in kg, purely because cycling deals in kgs for lots of things and its just easier than trying to convert to stones all the time, but I still do sizes in inches not centimetres. But Im the same tell me your 11 stone I know exactly your weight, tell me 75kg I only know the difference between my own weight :)

but I still use miles rather than KMs, unless Im doing a metric century ;)

I just remember moving schools as a kid, and a teacher shouting at me to move 1 metre to the left and I was like but no-ones ever told me how big a metre is, its roughly 3 feet, ok why didnt you just say :D

fwiw despite all the griping, all theyve done is permit the voluntary printing of permitting the crown stamp on pint glasses (trust me there are plenty of pint glasses still in circulation already with crown stamps) , and are "REVIEWING" the EU ban on markings and sales in imperial units.

but there you go Im assuming all the "rest of the world uses metric" folk have never visited America.
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 20:41 - Sep 17 with 784 viewsLord_Lucan

They don't though do they, USA is in miles, lbs and gallons, although I think the daft loons have a different gallon to us - and don't get me started about cups.

I was taught in imperial and metric as I am of the age of when it changed. I measure in cm's but I travel in miles. Similar to Glasgow, I can't understand weights in kilos of a human but then again I don't understand imperial weights in product cartons. I'm all over the show.

Actually, I haven't read the thread so I don't really know what is being discussed - although from a brief look at the OP I don't really see any problem in allowing people to sell their wares in either metric, imperial or both.

I am adapting to metric inch by inch and I will continue to do so.

More importantly, do I buy 3.5g or an eighth?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 20:57 - Sep 17 with 770 viewsEdwardStone

You mention eggs by the dozen....well.

I was staying with friends in Amsterdam many years ago. We had run out of eggs, so I went to the market to buy some. I saw a stall piled high with trays of eggs

I requested "A dozen eggs please." Stallholder looked at me....." A dozen eggs please" I asked again

"A dozen???" He sounded shocked. " Yes a dozen eggs please....you know....12 eggs. "

He shrugged, gave me a box of 10, and 2 extra ones in a brown paper bag

Life lesson that day

Europe has Metric Eggs
Login to get fewer ads

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 21:01 - Sep 17 with 770 viewsHerbivore

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 20:41 - Sep 17 by Lord_Lucan

They don't though do they, USA is in miles, lbs and gallons, although I think the daft loons have a different gallon to us - and don't get me started about cups.

I was taught in imperial and metric as I am of the age of when it changed. I measure in cm's but I travel in miles. Similar to Glasgow, I can't understand weights in kilos of a human but then again I don't understand imperial weights in product cartons. I'm all over the show.

Actually, I haven't read the thread so I don't really know what is being discussed - although from a brief look at the OP I don't really see any problem in allowing people to sell their wares in either metric, imperial or both.

I'm sure you do use both imperial and metric: weed in ounces and coke in grams.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 21:11 - Sep 17 with 755 viewsLord_Lucan

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 21:01 - Sep 17 by Herbivore

I'm sure you do use both imperial and metric: weed in ounces and coke in grams.

I can't do weed any more, it screws me up - as for the other, I buy it in imperial.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 21:23 - Sep 17 with 743 viewsKievthegreat

It's not impractical. What he (and all people who say this) mean is that he is not familiar with it. It's like me saying Fahrenheit is impractical for weather forecasts*, it's patently not as plenty of people would understand it, but I wouldn't because I'm not familiar with it.

*specified weather because for some applications (primarily science and engineering), Fahrenheit and imperial units ARE impractical.
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 21:24 - Sep 17 with 742 viewsKievthegreat

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 16:06 - Sep 17 by DanTheMan

Afraid not, but I did study the rise of German Nationalism at A Level, which Prussia played a massive part in.

Oh, and I've played too much Europa Universalis.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 16:07]

Someone is a big fan of Prussian Space Marines you mean!
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 21:55 - Sep 17 with 721 viewsDanTheMan

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 21:24 - Sep 17 by Kievthegreat

Someone is a big fan of Prussian Space Marines you mean!

For those times you want to sit back and map paint.

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 22:00 - Sep 17 with 716 viewschicoazul

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 20:41 - Sep 17 by Lord_Lucan

And the Yanks landed on the moon using imperial.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 22:06 - Sep 17 with 708 viewsLord_Lucan

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 22:00 - Sep 17 by chicoazul

They may have landed on the moon by now but they didn't in 1969.

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 07:57 - Sep 18 with 620 viewsDanTheMan

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 22:00 - Sep 17 by chicoazul

No, they didn't.

https://ukma.org.uk/why-metric/myths/metric-internationally/the-moon-landings/

In fact, the time I do know it was used was when the Mars Orbiter crashed because Lockheed Martin decided to use Imperial instead of metric like they were supposed to.

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 09:36 - Sep 18 with 592 viewsMattinLondon

This is a very silly post.
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 09:40 - Sep 18 with 580 viewsGlasgowBlue

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 09:36 - Sep 18 by MattinLondon

This is a very silly post.

In fairness it's about the most coherent post Harry has ever but together. The daft old rightie that he is.

Iron Lion Zion

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 09:43 - Sep 18 with 578 viewschicoazul

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 07:57 - Sep 18 by DanTheMan

No, they didn't.

https://ukma.org.uk/why-metric/myths/metric-internationally/the-moon-landings/

In fact, the time I do know it was used was when the Mars Orbiter crashed because Lockheed Martin decided to use Imperial instead of metric like they were supposed to.

Once again this is a case of someone seeing what they want to see much like Cotters earlier. That article says SI was used, not that imperial *was not* used as well, which it was. Watch the footage on Netflix and you can literally hear them counting down the feet before the launcher lands. I don’t know why people get so animated about this. Imperial was used to land on the moon.

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 09:46 - Sep 18 with 573 viewsOldsmoker

Do the Great British traders actually own a set of scales that measure in pounds and ounces?
Will they weigh out 454gm and say there's your pound of spuds.
If a market trader offers to sell veg in Pounds and Ounces I'll ask for one kilogram just to p*ss him off.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 09:46 - Sep 18 with 573 viewsDanTheMan

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 09:43 - Sep 18 by chicoazul

Once again this is a case of someone seeing what they want to see much like Cotters earlier. That article says SI was used, not that imperial *was not* used as well, which it was. Watch the footage on Netflix and you can literally hear them counting down the feet before the launcher lands. I don’t know why people get so animated about this. Imperial was used to land on the moon.

It was used by the pilots as that was what they were used to, as is explained in the article.

But the actual systems were all in metric and then converted to display in imperial

So no, it's not. Because I've read the article. And the code.

Also I'm not animated, I'm responding on a forum.

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 09:53 - Sep 18 with 559 viewschicoazul

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 09:46 - Sep 18 by DanTheMan

It was used by the pilots as that was what they were used to, as is explained in the article.

But the actual systems were all in metric and then converted to display in imperial

So no, it's not. Because I've read the article. And the code.

Also I'm not animated, I'm responding on a forum.

“It was used by the pilots…”
So in other words?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 10:09 - Sep 18 with 543 viewsGlasgowBlue

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 09:53 - Sep 18 by chicoazul

“It was used by the pilots…”
So in other words?

The bus driver didn't drive your bus. ADL manufactured the bus so they drove it.

Sorry Dan. Couldn't resist.

Iron Lion Zion

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 10:12 - Sep 18 with 539 viewschicoazul

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 10:09 - Sep 18 by GlasgowBlue

The bus driver didn't drive your bus. ADL manufactured the bus so they drove it.

Sorry Dan. Couldn't resist.

I nearly got hit by a bus the other day! I was cycling back from dropping my son off and the bloody thing nearly broadsides me

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 10:16 - Sep 18 with 528 viewsnoggin

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 09:46 - Sep 18 by Oldsmoker

Do the Great British traders actually own a set of scales that measure in pounds and ounces?
Will they weigh out 454gm and say there's your pound of spuds.
If a market trader offers to sell veg in Pounds and Ounces I'll ask for one kilogram just to p*ss him off.

Not sure what my coke dealer will do.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024