Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon 23:49 - Sep 16 with 5225 viewsunstableblue

It’s 2021!!
[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 23:49]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 14:08 - Sep 17 with 837 viewsCotty

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 13:29 - Sep 17 by chicoazul

It means they *can* only use it. Not that they *must* only use it. Unless it says that in the article which as I say I don’t have access to. As you rightly say you can use imperial if you also use metric, but you can’t only use imperial.

Ok, we're going round in circles now, I'm out. Enjoy. X
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 14:15 - Sep 17 with 835 viewschicoazul

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 14:08 - Sep 17 by Cotty

Ok, we're going round in circles now, I'm out. Enjoy. X

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 15:10 - Sep 17 with 781 viewsDanTheMan

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 13:48 - Sep 17 by WeWereZombies

Born in Danzig (Gdansk) when it was part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth before the family moved to The Netherlands...although his grandfather was from Königsberg which was German...but today is called Kallningrad and is part of Russia...

Super technically, Konigsberg would have been I think part of the Duchy of Prussia which given the time frame I think would have then been Brandenburg-Prussia, so not quite German.

Interesting time period.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 15:15 - Sep 17 with 772 viewsCotty

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 15:10 - Sep 17 by DanTheMan

Super technically, Konigsberg would have been I think part of the Duchy of Prussia which given the time frame I think would have then been Brandenburg-Prussia, so not quite German.

Interesting time period.

Is Guthers your alternate log in?
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 15:20 - Sep 17 with 760 viewsKeno

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 15:10 - Sep 17 by DanTheMan

Interesting time period.

Are you Guthers,
Are you Guthers,
Are you Guthers,
Are you Guthers in disguise
Are you Guthers in disguise

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 15:33 - Sep 17 with 746 viewskeighleyblue

utterly depressing time to live in England
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 16:05 - Sep 17 with 724 viewsRyorry

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 13:54 - Sep 17 by Kievthegreat

Little fact: metric units are derived and defined from measurements of the physical world. I.e the kg was originally derived as the mass of 1 litre of water but is now defined as a function of the planck constant, the speed of light in a vacuum and frequency of a caesium atom which are unchanging constant values.

Imperial units in britain are legally defined in terms of metric units. There's no scientific or real world basis anymore.

Haven't yet seen this fascinating looking prog, but bookmarked & 2nd top of my 'must watch' list - shown on BBC4 on Weds eve -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000znw3/measuring-mass-the-last-artefact
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 16:07]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 16:06 - Sep 17 with 723 viewsDanTheMan

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 15:15 - Sep 17 by Cotty

Is Guthers your alternate log in?

Afraid not, but I did study the rise of German Nationalism at A Level, which Prussia played a massive part in.

Oh, and I've played too much Europa Universalis.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 16:15 - Sep 17 with 707 viewsEwan_Oozami

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:50 - Sep 17 by chicoazul

If it does happen (it won’t) it won’t be exclusively imperial. I think shops will be free to choose. That seems to be what the Times imply from the tweet, the article is behind a pay wall.
I think of our bizarre opaque weird imperial system as a very British thing that shouldn’t really work but does (did). It is also an example of what happens when things evolve rather than get designed. Metric is crude simple and not based on human scale.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 11:51]

The good old British mile....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 16:15 - Sep 17 with 706 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Closing in on a return to Pounds, Shillings and Pence at last.

We need 240 pennies to the pound again.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 16:27 - Sep 17 with 689 viewschicoazul

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 15:33 - Sep 17 by keighleyblue

utterly depressing time to live in England

“I arst you civil enough, didn’t I?’ said the old man, straightening his shoulders pugnaciously. ‘You telling me you ain’t got a pint mug in the ‘ole bleeding boozer?’

‘And waht in hell’s name is a pint?’ said the barman, leaning forward with the tips of his fingers on the container.

‘ ‘Ark at ‘im. Call ‘isself a barman and don’t know what a pint is! Why, a pint’s the ‘alf of a quart and there’s four quarts to the gallon. “Ave to tach you the A, B, C, next.”

‘Never ‘eard of ’em,’ the barman said shortly. “Litre and half litre – that’s all we serve.’

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 16:28 - Sep 17 with 684 viewsKievthegreat

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 16:05 - Sep 17 by Ryorry

Haven't yet seen this fascinating looking prog, but bookmarked & 2nd top of my 'must watch' list - shown on BBC4 on Weds eve -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000znw3/measuring-mass-the-last-artefact

Looks good. It's actually intersting how from the start the kilogram confounded the early creators of metric units because it never got a decent definition and ended up being defined by a physical item, but also how it still ended up as one of the last units to get a 'proper' definition.

I seem to recall an intersting such BBC documentary with Marcus du Sautoy a few years ago on the topic.
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 16:30 - Sep 17 with 693 viewsPhilTWTD

Interesting thread from someone who will no doubt be dismissed as an expert.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 16:42 - Sep 17 with 659 viewsRyorry

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 16:30 - Sep 17 by PhilTWTD

She's a brilliant tweeter. Another one (thread) of hers -

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 16:45 - Sep 17 with 650 viewshype313

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 16:42 - Sep 17 by Ryorry

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 17:01 - Sep 17 with 630 viewsThe_Major

It's obvious that what is happening here is that they've realised that majority of their support was born prior to 1960, and so they're just saying - "Hey! Remember when you were younger? Wasn't everything just fantastic then?" - it ties in with this nonsense about making TV shows "overtly" British. I honestly think they're just going to pop copies of the Radio Times and TV Times from October 1975 to BBC and ITV respectively with a post it note attached which just says "Do this".

Expect the cornerstone of the BBC1 Spring 2022 schedule to be The Black And White Minstrel Show.

What, however, does concern me greatly about this harking back to times past, is that their ultimate goal will be to say "Just wondering, kite flying, putting it out there...but how do we feel about bringing back capital punishment?"
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 17:13 - Sep 17 with 612 viewsSwansea_Blue

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 16:30 - Sep 17 by PhilTWTD

How the hell does it take 6 years to train to be a weights and measures inspector? It took me 5 minutes to learn when a pint wasn't a pint. You can become a doctor in 4-5 years and get your licence to practice 1 year after that!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 17:21 - Sep 17 with 598 viewsSwansea_Blue

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 16:42 - Sep 17 by Ryorry

She's peeing in the wind. Since when have this lot worried about doing something that "introduces significant bureaucracy to trade, adversely affect the free movement of goods, and undermine the UK's position"? It's literally the main manifesto position they were voted in on.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 17:22]

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 17:29 - Sep 17 with 588 viewsPhilTWTD

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 17:13 - Sep 17 by Swansea_Blue

How the hell does it take 6 years to train to be a weights and measures inspector? It took me 5 minutes to learn when a pint wasn't a pint. You can become a doctor in 4-5 years and get your licence to practice 1 year after that!

I wondered that. Perhaps we need to introduce a weights and measures inspector inspector to make sure all is above board.
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 17:31 - Sep 17 with 581 viewsSwansea_Blue

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 16:45 - Sep 17 by hype313

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 17:43 - Sep 17 with 565 viewsRyorry

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 17:21 - Sep 17 by Swansea_Blue

She's peeing in the wind. Since when have this lot worried about doing something that "introduces significant bureaucracy to trade, adversely affect the free movement of goods, and undermine the UK's position"? It's literally the main manifesto position they were voted in on.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 17:22]

We're all peeing in the wind, but it makes us feel better, esp if the wind direction is blowing hard towards them.

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 17:43 - Sep 17 with 566 viewseireblue

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 17:29 - Sep 17 by PhilTWTD

I wondered that. Perhaps we need to introduce a weights and measures inspector inspector to make sure all is above board.

How far above the board?
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 17:53 - Sep 17 with 548 viewsPhilTWTD

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 17:43 - Sep 17 by eireblue

How far above the board?

Do you mean an imperial or metric board?
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 18:16 - Sep 17 with 525 viewsHARRY10

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 07:13 - Sep 17 by DanTheMan

Why would we regress to a system that makes no sense?

Might as well start using fahrenheit whilst we're at it.

Thats rather silly, as one of the notable things about the metric system is how impractical it is relation to quantifying things - hence so much of what we speak of is still imperial 9after years)

Miles per hour, miles per gallon

height is talked about in feet ie as with people and especially footballers

likewise weight, even new born babies are described as x number of lbs

clothes sizes - waist, length, collar size, shoes, even bust size .........

liquid is similarly spoke of in pints and gallons

wind speed and amount of snow/rain are in inches

and while a number of grocery items are now measured in metric, their actual size is that of the previous imperial - simply because metric does not work on a practical level

however the guff about greengrocers selling a pound of bananas is nothing more than a publicity stunt, where the desperation to distract from the almost complete failure of brexit is needed.

there is nothing wrong with how it works currently - metric allows the UK to harmonise with the EU, and imperial measurements allow folk to explain and understand things easier

a dozen eggs, free kick is ten yards away, never heard of a dick size ever being anything but inches, by a country mile, penalty box is still 18 yards, tv screen size is still in inches and if you buy a real xmas tree this year it will be measured in feet - not some silly millimetres

ps even cannabis is sold in ounces, and parts of....................or, so I have been told
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 18:18]
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 18:23 - Sep 17 with 520 viewsRyorry

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 18:16 - Sep 17 by HARRY10

Thats rather silly, as one of the notable things about the metric system is how impractical it is relation to quantifying things - hence so much of what we speak of is still imperial 9after years)

Miles per hour, miles per gallon

height is talked about in feet ie as with people and especially footballers

likewise weight, even new born babies are described as x number of lbs

clothes sizes - waist, length, collar size, shoes, even bust size .........

liquid is similarly spoke of in pints and gallons

wind speed and amount of snow/rain are in inches

and while a number of grocery items are now measured in metric, their actual size is that of the previous imperial - simply because metric does not work on a practical level

however the guff about greengrocers selling a pound of bananas is nothing more than a publicity stunt, where the desperation to distract from the almost complete failure of brexit is needed.

there is nothing wrong with how it works currently - metric allows the UK to harmonise with the EU, and imperial measurements allow folk to explain and understand things easier

a dozen eggs, free kick is ten yards away, never heard of a dick size ever being anything but inches, by a country mile, penalty box is still 18 yards, tv screen size is still in inches and if you buy a real xmas tree this year it will be measured in feet - not some silly millimetres

ps even cannabis is sold in ounces, and parts of....................or, so I have been told
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 18:18]

Never did get large items like kitchen units being measured in mm - I mean seriously, *why*? You just end up dividing them by 10 anyway to get cm & at least some reasonable idea of scale!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024