Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon 23:49 - Sep 16 with 5224 viewsunstableblue

It’s 2021!!
[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 23:49]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:15 - Sep 17 with 940 viewsFtnfwest

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:07 - Sep 17 by Cotty

Why is it a good idea to allow shop stalls to exclusively use measures that haven't been taught in schools for decades?

Because their clientele are more familiar with that. Having said that it's pretty unlikely that may will revert to imperial only but having that flexibility has got to be better than being arrested for it.
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:16 - Sep 17 with 935 viewsFtnfwest

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 08:05 - Sep 17 by GlasgowBlue

I bet you five Guineas that it will never catch on. Now I must go. I have a ten furlong run to do. Have to shed a few pounds after downing a kilderkin of ale over the weekend.

i'd prefer a good old metric pint meself
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:23 - Sep 17 with 919 viewsWeWereZombies

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 09:57 - Sep 17 by Basuco

Decimal is so simple most can count from 1 to 10, grams and kilograms are so much more accurate, how can 16 drams to an ounce, 16 ounces to a pound, 7 pounds to a clove, 14 pounds to a stone, 112 pounds to a hundredweight, 20 hundredweight to a ton, be easier?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Republican_calendar#:~:text=There%20were%20

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:40 - Sep 17 with 896 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 10:09 - Sep 17 by sotd78

I'll give you two bob or a florin if you insist if you can work out how to get Conservative and sharlatans into the same sentence

I look forward to seeing the old currency return.
Good old fashioned money. three pence pieces were a thing of beauty as was a tanner. Pound notes, shillings and proper size penny coins. It makes much more sense to work in multiples of 12 than all this decimal and metric nonsense.
Go on Boris, you know it makes sense.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:46 - Sep 17 with 896 viewsSwansea_Blue

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:07 - Sep 17 by Cotty

Why is it a good idea to allow shop stalls to exclusively use measures that haven't been taught in schools for decades?

Wind up the libs innit.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:49 - Sep 17 with 895 viewsSwansea_Blue

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:15 - Sep 17 by Ftnfwest

Because their clientele are more familiar with that. Having said that it's pretty unlikely that may will revert to imperial only but having that flexibility has got to be better than being arrested for it.

They've got that flexibility now. I can buy anything I want in imperial in Swansea market, and often do - pound of mince, quarter of sweets.

(Although maybe that's just because metric hasn't reached here yet! Still, at least we're looking trendy with this new mullet hairstyle that's just come into fashion).

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:49 - Sep 17 with 891 viewsstickymockwell

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 07:42 - Sep 17 by Dubtractor

Great isn't it? A cabinet reshuffle and a return to measurements only understood by weed dealers, and they have successfully distracted from a cut in universal credit.

"Scuse me mister, can I have a Henry of rhubarb and Custards?"

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:50 - Sep 17 with 888 viewschicoazul

If it does happen (it won’t) it won’t be exclusively imperial. I think shops will be free to choose. That seems to be what the Times imply from the tweet, the article is behind a pay wall.
I think of our bizarre opaque weird imperial system as a very British thing that shouldn’t really work but does (did). It is also an example of what happens when things evolve rather than get designed. Metric is crude simple and not based on human scale.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 11:51]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:56 - Sep 17 with 875 viewsFtnfwest

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:49 - Sep 17 by Swansea_Blue

They've got that flexibility now. I can buy anything I want in imperial in Swansea market, and often do - pound of mince, quarter of sweets.

(Although maybe that's just because metric hasn't reached here yet! Still, at least we're looking trendy with this new mullet hairstyle that's just come into fashion).

It always starts in wales! Yes i think all this story is about is actually revoking the law that said it was illegal (which blair instigated i think).
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:58 - Sep 17 with 872 viewsWeWereZombies

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:50 - Sep 17 by chicoazul

If it does happen (it won’t) it won’t be exclusively imperial. I think shops will be free to choose. That seems to be what the Times imply from the tweet, the article is behind a pay wall.
I think of our bizarre opaque weird imperial system as a very British thing that shouldn’t really work but does (did). It is also an example of what happens when things evolve rather than get designed. Metric is crude simple and not based on human scale.

Exactly, I mean basing the metre on one ten-millionth of the distance between the Equator and the North Pole is like something from another planet.

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 12:02 - Sep 17 with 864 viewsWeWereZombies

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:56 - Sep 17 by Ftnfwest

It always starts in wales! Yes i think all this story is about is actually revoking the law that said it was illegal (which blair instigated i think).

There has never been a law against imperial measurements, the European Union tried to get convergence to the metric system but gave up on the United Kingdom over a decade ago:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16245391

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 12:13 - Sep 17 with 847 viewsMattinLondon

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:50 - Sep 17 by chicoazul

What the bloody hell are you going on about? It’s like seating next to the drunk bloke in the pub. You can understand the odd word but most of it is nonsense.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 12:22]
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 12:20 - Sep 17 with 843 viewsJ2BLUE

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 08:43 - Sep 17 by chicoazul

Good. An excellent idea. I doubt it will happen of course but I wish it would.

It probably won't happen because 99% of people will think what is the point?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 12:25 - Sep 17 with 838 viewsleitrimblue

Though a lot of kids understand there is 28 grams in a ounce, 14 in a half ounce etc
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 12:33 - Sep 17 with 826 viewsSwansea_Blue

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:56 - Sep 17 by Ftnfwest

It was made illegal to only sell in imperial units, all due to EU standards and the like. Not sure when it came in - but you could be right, it was around Blair's time (I suspect the PM made no difference as it was new EU legislation).

Even if it happens at all, this may well have limited impact as people have got all the kit and containers and the like to work metrically, so we'll probably end up with a rule that says you can use either and a lot of people will carry on as they are.

It doesn't seem the slightest bit important to me, but there we are.

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 12:47 - Sep 17 with 806 viewsCotty

You've misread the tweet.
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 12:53 - Sep 17 with 793 viewschicoazul

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 12:47 - Sep 17 by Cotty

You've misread the tweet.

No I haven’t. It says “using only Britain’s traditional weighing system”. It doesn’t say anything about not having the choice to use metric, or both.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 12:58 - Sep 17 with 787 viewsSwansea_Blue

I suspect your first para will be the case. The missing information is what they intend to do about metric, but I can't see them outlawing that system. It'll probably be a choice, as you say, for retailers to sell exclusively in one system of units, or the other, or both.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say in the 2nd para. I'll be confusing to those who've grown up metric only for weights (everyone under 40-50). There's no getting away from that. And presumably it complicates the workload of trading standards and the like.

It's not the end of the world (e.g. we use miles and metres all the time), just seems a bit, er...pointless.

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 13:11 - Sep 17 with 771 viewsWeWereZombies

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 12:33 - Sep 17 by Swansea_Blue

It was made illegal to only sell in imperial units, all due to EU standards and the like. Not sure when it came in - but you could be right, it was around Blair's time (I suspect the PM made no difference as it was new EU legislation).

Even if it happens at all, this may well have limited impact as people have got all the kit and containers and the like to work metrically, so we'll probably end up with a rule that says you can use either and a lot of people will carry on as they are.

It doesn't seem the slightest bit important to me, but there we are.

There has never been a law against imperial measurements, the European Union tried to get convergence to the metric system but gave up on the United Kingdom over a decade ago:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16245391

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 13:16 - Sep 17 with 759 viewsCotty

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 12:53 - Sep 17 by chicoazul

No I haven’t. It says “using only Britain’s traditional weighing system”. It doesn’t say anything about not having the choice to use metric, or both.

What does "only" mean Chickers? X

You can already use imperial if you also display metric, so I don't really know what you're going on about luv x
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 13:17]
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 13:20 - Sep 17 with 747 viewsdaisyisabaddog

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 07:13 - Sep 17 by DanTheMan

Why would we regress to a system that makes no sense?

Might as well start using fahrenheit whilst we're at it.

It's a Friday and I'm tired and a bit uppity so I thought I would point out that Herr Fahrenheit was a German.
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 13:29 - Sep 17 with 736 viewschicoazul

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 13:16 - Sep 17 by Cotty

What does "only" mean Chickers? X

You can already use imperial if you also display metric, so I don't really know what you're going on about luv x
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 13:17]

It means they *can* only use it. Not that they *must* only use it. Unless it says that in the article which as I say I don’t have access to. As you rightly say you can use imperial if you also use metric, but you can’t only use imperial.

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 13:48 - Sep 17 with 710 viewsWeWereZombies

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 13:20 - Sep 17 by daisyisabaddog

It's a Friday and I'm tired and a bit uppity so I thought I would point out that Herr Fahrenheit was a German.

Born in Danzig (Gdansk) when it was part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth before the family moved to The Netherlands...although his grandfather was from Königsberg which was German...but today is called Kallningrad and is part of Russia...

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 13:54 - Sep 17 with 705 viewsWeWereZombies

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 13:29 - Sep 17 by chicoazul

It means they *can* only use it. Not that they *must* only use it. Unless it says that in the article which as I say I don’t have access to. As you rightly say you can use imperial if you also use metric, but you can’t only use imperial.

Unless you are selling beer in a pub or selling milk anywhere...

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 13:54 - Sep 17 with 706 viewsKievthegreat

Little fact: metric units are derived and defined from measurements of the physical world. I.e the kg was originally derived as the mass of 1 litre of water but is now defined as a function of the planck constant, the speed of light in a vacuum and frequency of a caesium atom which are unchanging constant values.

Imperial units in britain are legally defined in terms of metric units. There's no scientific or real world basis anymore.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024