Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today 08:23 - Sep 24 with 2547 viewsDubtractor

Scary to think that it now very definitely classifies as a golden oldie, and that therefore I must be old too, but I figured a nirvana thread for us to wallow in nostalgia wouldn't hurt on a Friday morning.

Gutted that I never got to see them live, but Nevermind was a real soundtrack to my teenage years.

This is my pick.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 12:48 - Sep 24 with 1012 viewsHerbivore

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 12:10 - Sep 24 by Steve_M

A little later but as covers go this one is pretty good:

The unplugged set is great. Seemed like such a crazy idea at the time given how raw and distortion heavy their sound was but it worked really well.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 12:57 - Sep 24 with 1006 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Don't forget Blood Sugar Sex Magik by RHCP. Also 30 today.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 13:12 - Sep 24 with 978 viewsbluelagos

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 11:04 - Sep 24 by vilanovablue

Great article until the chucked in Simply Red at the end!

Thought the same tbh.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 13:49 - Sep 24 with 964 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 12:57 - Sep 24 by ThisIsMyUsername

Don't forget Blood Sugar Sex Magik by RHCP. Also 30 today.

I loved that album back in the day. It was our theme tune to a month's fieldwork in Norway during the summer of 92

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 13:59 - Sep 24 with 955 viewsleitrimblue

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 11:14 - Sep 24 by Bluish

I was told that they played the Sea Cadet Hall in Cambridge on one of their early UK tours, a week or so before I played there with my band. Never been able to verify this, but a lot of bands played there around this time.

I seen um live at reading festival. They were last on, it rained all day and I was happy to go home before they came on but was talked into staying. Glad I did, was one of there last performances I think? I seen superchunk, the breeders an a few other grunge an semi grunge bands in Cambridge a few years before that. A friend swears that Nirvana was one of um. Would have been around the time of bleach, a very underated album
Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 15:36 - Sep 24 with 908 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 13:49 - Sep 24 by Swansea_Blue

I loved that album back in the day. It was our theme tune to a month's fieldwork in Norway during the summer of 92

This just in:

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 15:39 - Sep 24 with 904 viewsHerbivore

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 13:59 - Sep 24 by leitrimblue

I seen um live at reading festival. They were last on, it rained all day and I was happy to go home before they came on but was talked into staying. Glad I did, was one of there last performances I think? I seen superchunk, the breeders an a few other grunge an semi grunge bands in Cambridge a few years before that. A friend swears that Nirvana was one of um. Would have been around the time of bleach, a very underated album

It's possible it was Nirvana, that was around the time they played the Arts Centre in Norwich so they may also have hit up Cambridge as well.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 16:32 - Sep 24 with 870 viewsBLUEBEAT

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 10:33 - Sep 24 by BLUEBEAT

Did get to see them at N*rwich Arts Centre in 1989.

Didn’t think much of them, to be honest.

But I did get a little excited when they shambolically covered ‘Love Buzz’. I love Shocking Blue.

I will save my rose-tinted contact lenses for the Primal Scream ‘Screamadelica’ thread…

Have just found this actual gig on YouTube and sounds bloody terrible.

Poll: W or W

Login to get fewer ads

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 16:40 - Sep 24 with 869 viewsPhilTWTD

Pedantic music journalist friend of mine on Facebook has pointed out that it as actually released 30 years ago yesterday in this country, today was the date of its US release, so I'll delete this thread, obviously.

I saw them live at Reading the first time they played but can't remember much about it unfortunately.

Remember a friend of mine who was a music journalist, someone different, playing me a pre-release copy of Smells Like Teen Spirit a couple of weeks before it came out and telling me it was going to be huge and me being sceptical. Still have the classic Nirvana T-shirt he gave me at around that time.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 16:56 - Sep 24 with 842 viewsRyorry

BBCR6Music are having an all day 'Nevermind' day - still going live -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_6music

or catchup on Sounds from the start :)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 20:21 - Sep 24 with 779 viewsMullet

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 09:00 - Sep 24 by Herbivore

Breed is an excellent shout, my favourite track is Lounge Act but Breed comes in second. It's a seminal album without a doubt, though as a whole album I think I prefer In Utero. We are officially old now, Nevermind was released closer to the first Beatles album than to today.

Lounge Act is my favourite too

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 21:14 - Sep 24 with 751 viewsstonojnr

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 16:40 - Sep 24 by PhilTWTD

Pedantic music journalist friend of mine on Facebook has pointed out that it as actually released 30 years ago yesterday in this country, today was the date of its US release, so I'll delete this thread, obviously.

I saw them live at Reading the first time they played but can't remember much about it unfortunately.

Remember a friend of mine who was a music journalist, someone different, playing me a pre-release copy of Smells Like Teen Spirit a couple of weeks before it came out and telling me it was going to be huge and me being sceptical. Still have the classic Nirvana T-shirt he gave me at around that time.

This post has been edited by an administrator

dont worry they do it all the time with movies from back then as well, forgetting we often had to wait 6-9months for films to cross the atlantic :)

its as good a day as any to celebrate it IMO, and technically true Nevermind is 30.

and if you fancy spending roughly £100 you can buy the 5CD deluxe special edition reissue or £180 for the 8LP edition
https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/nirvana-nevermind-30th-anniversary-edition/

i might just go for the 2CD version for a tenner instead
Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 21:19 - Sep 24 with 742 viewsBluespeed225

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 10:33 - Sep 24 by BLUEBEAT

Did get to see them at N*rwich Arts Centre in 1989.

Didn’t think much of them, to be honest.

But I did get a little excited when they shambolically covered ‘Love Buzz’. I love Shocking Blue.

I will save my rose-tinted contact lenses for the Primal Scream ‘Screamadelica’ thread…

Ah yes, Shocking Blue, Send me A postcard! If we have to go on about Nirvana, I'll go with Pleasure Beaches' cover of Teen Spirit!
Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 21:23 - Sep 24 with 740 viewsPhilTWTD

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 21:14 - Sep 24 by stonojnr

dont worry they do it all the time with movies from back then as well, forgetting we often had to wait 6-9months for films to cross the atlantic :)

its as good a day as any to celebrate it IMO, and technically true Nevermind is 30.

and if you fancy spending roughly £100 you can buy the 5CD deluxe special edition reissue or £180 for the 8LP edition
https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/nirvana-nevermind-30th-anniversary-edition/

i might just go for the 2CD version for a tenner instead

I've got it on tape somewhere and a picture disc of SLTS.
Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 21:26 - Sep 24 with 739 viewsMelford

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 09:52 - Sep 24 by bluelagos

Yesterday 30 years ago Screamadelica was released too.

1991. The Creation Records Holy Trinity were released. This today

with these two to follow in a couple of months

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 21:27 - Sep 24 with 739 viewsMelford

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 13:59 - Sep 24 by leitrimblue

Did you see this lot?

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 21:51 - Sep 24 with 718 viewsleitrimblue

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 21:27 - Sep 24 by Melford

Did you see this lot?

Can't remember, was a v good weekend... I remember L7 I think they were called being pelted with mud and I think Kurt Cobain came on to stage in a wheelchair ( though I might have imagined that) but that's about it. Did they sing Kylie's got a crush on us?
Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 02:53 - Sep 25 with 666 viewsmonytowbray

“I swear that I don’t have a gun.”

You sure about that Kurt?

Also balls to all of you old and lucky enough to see them live. Still often whack the Reading live DVD on.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2021 3:01]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 07:57 - Sep 25 with 628 viewsGlasgowBlue

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 11:04 - Sep 24 by vilanovablue

Great article until the chucked in Simply Red at the end!

What’s wrong with Simply Red? Stars was a great British soul album.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 08:02 - Sep 25 with 615 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 07:57 - Sep 25 by GlasgowBlue

What’s wrong with Simply Red? Stars was a great British soul album.

Don't get me started....

...I have images of Dad dancing now...!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 11:40 - Sep 25 with 561 viewsMullet

Played my boys some nirvana on the tele through YouTube. Little one was transfixed and the eldest loves “ the jumping around one”.

Proof right there the power of Smells like teen spirit I say.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 13:11 - Sep 25 with 531 viewsThrobbe

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 08:37 - Sep 24 by DBaldy

Definitely makes me feel old. Also never got to see them live, I did have tickets for Brixton Academy in April 1994, but we know how that ended...

Pearl Jam's 10 was also an amazing album, along with Blood Sugar Sex Magik (which apparently was also released 30 years ago today!)

3 of the best albums ever IMO, was a great period for rock music.

Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger came out a few weeks later too, and the first Alice in Chains album in August. There's always a bit of bias for stuff you liked when you were 18 as it's a fun age that I remember (mostly) fondly, but that's a simply amazing collection of albums released within weeks of each other.

I'm revisiting Pretty On The Inside which also came out a few weeks before as I've got tickets to an exhibition next weekend that Courtney is doing to commemorate 30 years of. I loved Riot Grrrl but wrote it off at the time as an inferior copy of Babes In Toyland's Spanking Machine. If I'm honest I still think that's true, but now don't see that as a bad thing. Certainly Hole went on to make 2 amazing albums, and some of the signs were there on the debut.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 13:27 - Sep 25 with 514 viewsleitrimblue

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 13:11 - Sep 25 by Throbbe

Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger came out a few weeks later too, and the first Alice in Chains album in August. There's always a bit of bias for stuff you liked when you were 18 as it's a fun age that I remember (mostly) fondly, but that's a simply amazing collection of albums released within weeks of each other.

I'm revisiting Pretty On The Inside which also came out a few weeks before as I've got tickets to an exhibition next weekend that Courtney is doing to commemorate 30 years of. I loved Riot Grrrl but wrote it off at the time as an inferior copy of Babes In Toyland's Spanking Machine. If I'm honest I still think that's true, but now don't see that as a bad thing. Certainly Hole went on to make 2 amazing albums, and some of the signs were there on the debut.

Badmotorfinger was very underrated album as well. Jesus Christ pose was a classic at the time
Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 14:29 - Sep 25 with 488 viewsDubtractor

Nirvana - Nevermind is 30 (thirty) today on 13:11 - Sep 25 by Throbbe

I preferred superunknown at the time, but badmotorfinger is the one isn't it?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024