Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Proper National Treasures 05:37 - Oct 7 with 7125 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Was just thinking the other day when John Challis died (RIP) how David Jason is probably one of the biggest nationals treasure in Britain and it got me thinking who else would be on this list of say 10 people.

I’ve got these so far on my imaginary list:
- Sir David Jason
- Sir David Attenborough
- Sir Elton John
- Dame Helen Mirren
- Dame Judi Dench
- Dame Maggie Smith

And then on the ‘potentials’ list that didn’t quite make the cut but probably worth consideration:
- Ant and Dec
- Sir Tom Jones
- Colin Firth
- Sir Paul McCartney
- Stephen Fry
- Mary Berry
- David Lloyd (AKA Bumble)

Who else do we reckon is a genuine national treasure?
[Post edited 7 Oct 2021 5:45]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Proper National Treasures on 14:48 - Oct 7 with 1342 viewsHerbivore

Proper National Treasures on 14:22 - Oct 7 by BlueandTruesince82

Well first let me say that I think anonymity for both accusers and accused in such cases should be granted until the conclusion of any trial in the hope that would encourage more people to come forward, they absolutely should. I accept that naming an accused can encourage more people to come forward but equally its also a route that may bring about false accusations and a look at the law and how retrials should be dealt with as potential new evidence comes to light is needed to try and strike a better balance.

I also agree if I was punched by a sports person and could take them for 150k I may well be inclined to do so but I do think that is a different scenario to DV incident which is far more dehumanising and again certainly those who I know (including some who are v close to me) would rather see a conviction than receive hush money but everyone is different and so I won't speak for everyone.

As to your other question yes that did originate from the Telegraph's instigation but I would say its reporting then was of a far better standard than rabid eyed right end of then right spectrum that it now is, I wasn't aware that they were his employer time of trial. I could link you to reports in the Irish Times, the Mail but these Will of course refencee the telegraph because that us where the story originates, I could point you to the yourkshire post but even I'll agree they are likely to be biased.

I could also link to an article that accuse Boycotts accuser of questionable behaviour (abuse and assualt of a stewardess and other within her party) but of course that will all ultimately link back to the telegraph which carried out that investigation.

We could also look at his accusers finances (1.3 million in debt at time of trial ) and that she was declared bankrupt shortly afterwards.

In short I would need to work for telegraph to be able to ultimately provide the info you ask for and I don't but equally I see no way to disprove said evidence either, no do I see any denials of such an offer being made or any attempt by any other publication to refute the claim so much like the trial you have reliant on what someone claims. What is depressing is that no one else has actually looked to clarify those claims one way or the other and that is sad inditmenet of tbe British press all together

So essentially all the allegations against a victim of assault come from an investigation by an organisation that employs the person convicted of the assault. I have to say that really should ring alarm bells, particularly as there doesn't seem to be any documentary evidence on offer to back up their claims. Certainly those claims wouldn't get very far in a court of law, whereas the allegation itself has been tested in a court of law twice.

There's an awful lot of just throwing shade on her character to be honest. And it's possible she isn't a good person but that doesn't mean the allegation is false. At trial, Boycott didn't say he couldn't account for the injuries, he said they were caused by her falling on the hotel room floor during an argument (this was a carpeted floor, not marble). She said they were from him punching her in the face. The medical experts ruled out his explanation for the injuries whilst finding her explanation to be consistent with the injuries sustained. That's good enough for me, but I doubt I'm going to convince you.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2021 14:50]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Proper National Treasures on 14:53 - Oct 7 with 1325 viewstextbackup

Danny dyer
Tammer Hassan
Wayne Linekar

To name a few

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Proper National Treasures on 15:01 - Oct 7 with 1311 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

There are two regular posters on here who have amazed me in not voting for themselves!
Proper National Treasures on 15:20 - Oct 7 with 1297 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Proper National Treasures on 14:48 - Oct 7 by Herbivore

So essentially all the allegations against a victim of assault come from an investigation by an organisation that employs the person convicted of the assault. I have to say that really should ring alarm bells, particularly as there doesn't seem to be any documentary evidence on offer to back up their claims. Certainly those claims wouldn't get very far in a court of law, whereas the allegation itself has been tested in a court of law twice.

There's an awful lot of just throwing shade on her character to be honest. And it's possible she isn't a good person but that doesn't mean the allegation is false. At trial, Boycott didn't say he couldn't account for the injuries, he said they were caused by her falling on the hotel room floor during an argument (this was a carpeted floor, not marble). She said they were from him punching her in the face. The medical experts ruled out his explanation for the injuries whilst finding her explanation to be consistent with the injuries sustained. That's good enough for me, but I doubt I'm going to convince you.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2021 14:50]

I've sent you a PM.

I'm not sure where the carpeted floor comes from as I keep seeing it described as as marble.

The judges admits that she took a (somewhat understandable, he is an acquired tatse at the Best of times esp to non Yorkshire folk) and you can surely imagine the impression a stubborn Yorkshirman would give in a French court.

I'm pretty sure one could easily find a doctor that could argue the other way and I do think you ignore the many people (Ex GFs included) that have said this is not a side to the man they have ever seen. Usuay in such instances there is a pattern of behaviour but of course not always. We do have witnesses who claim that her character is questionable (maybe its shade maybe its true we don't know) though admittedly after trial.

As for the telegraph well I think that speaks to the laziness of Journalism, any other publication could have fact checked, the accuser could deny it but doesn't and that plus her financial situation should also ring Alamein bells.

To truly we would get the bottom of it we would need to gather tbe witness's the journos etc.

I guess my feeling is that a burden of proof hasn't been met and whilst I accept that a court may have found him guilty plenty of courts have made plenty of mistakes, some multiple times

So let's agree on this. If true then yes Boycot is an absolute disgrace as we really have taken over what should be a fun thread.

Sorry everyone

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Proper National Treasures on 15:24 - Oct 7 with 1292 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Proper National Treasures on 15:01 - Oct 7 by Timefliesbyintheblue

There are two regular posters on here who have amazed me in not voting for themselves!

Norman Wisdom, Moeen Ali
Proper National Treasures on 15:27 - Oct 7 with 1283 viewsHerbivore

Benjamin Zephaniah
Mary Berry

Proper National Treasures on 15:54 - Oct 7 with 1259 viewsMerseyBlue

Akala
John Humphrys
Jon Snow
Sue Barker

Honourable mention for Bez

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Proper National Treasures on 17:31 - Oct 7 with 1195 viewsHARRY10

Prince Andrew

Mrs Prince Andrew (Fergina)

Antony Worral-Shoplifter

Paul Ince

Sue Perkins
Login to get fewer ads

Proper National Treasures on 17:49 - Oct 7 with 1178 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Thelma Barlow
Johnny Vegas
Joan Bakewell
Ken Bruce
Angela Rippon
Paul Gambaccini
Sandy Toksvig
Trevor McDonald

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Proper National Treasures on 17:52 - Oct 7 with 1172 viewsHerbivore

Jamie Oliver
John Barnes

Proper National Treasures on 17:52 - Oct 7 with 1171 viewshappybeingblue

ian wright
Proper National Treasures on 17:55 - Oct 7 with 1163 viewshappybeingblue

Proper National Treasures on 17:52 - Oct 7 by happybeingblue

ian wright

paul o grady
Proper National Treasures on 18:12 - Oct 7 with 1143 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Proper National Treasures on 17:49 - Oct 7 by You_Bloo_Right

Thelma Barlow
Johnny Vegas
Joan Bakewell
Ken Bruce
Angela Rippon
Paul Gambaccini
Sandy Toksvig
Trevor McDonald

Are we allowed to claim Toksvig and Gambaccini?

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Proper National Treasures on 18:14 - Oct 7 with 1143 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Proper National Treasures on 11:19 - Oct 7 by Herbivore

The conviction was upheld in a court of appeal. If you've seen the pictures I'd ask you whether you think it's really credible she got those injuries from falling on a carpeted hotel room floor. You may think it's questionable, a judge and an appeal court that were privvy to all of the evidence disagree. I'll go with them in this instance. Not having Boycott being a national treasure, he's an arse.

I totally agree that Boycott shouldn't be on the list.

So who from the world of cricket?

Personally I find Blowers' persona a bit contrived.

Dear Old Brian Johnston would have been, once upon a time.

Monty Panesar had treasure status as a young man, but has struggled to define a role for himself after his professional career came to a premature end.

Swanny and Tuffers are a bit too dickish, really.

Ben Stokes will be one day. Freddie is probably on his way to National Treasure status.

Jimmy Anderson may be a great cricketer, but he's a bit prickly, and not many non-cricket fans will relate to him.

So I'm going to nominate:

Sir Andrew Strauss, who is a remarkable man who achieved a great deal as a player individually, and as captain, and is doing extraordinarily good work around child bereavement now.
Proper National Treasures on 18:20 - Oct 7 with 1138 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Proper National Treasures on 13:28 - Oct 7 by Enigma_Blue

David Mitchell
Rowan Atkinson

Rowan Atkinson is properly up himself.

I love Blackadder, but as a person he leaves me cold.
Proper National Treasures on 18:29 - Oct 7 with 1134 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Proper National Treasures on 15:27 - Oct 7 by Herbivore

Benjamin Zephaniah
Mary Berry

A big yes to Benjamin Zephaniah. And in a similar vein to Lemn Sissay.

And a leftfield nomination for Alex Horne.

Others from the comedy world might include:

Rob Newman
Frank Skinner
(Julie Walters and Lenny Henry have already been mentioned, and Rob Brydon was a good shout, too)

Miles Jupp might be heading that way.

And tangential to the comedy world: does anyone else have huge love for Liza Tarbuck?

Toyah has come back into the picture recently, too...
Proper National Treasures on 18:36 - Oct 7 with 1127 viewsNthQldITFC

Proper National Treasures on 18:12 - Oct 7 by BlueandTruesince82

I see what you mean now. At first I thought that you were implying that they were one and the same person, and I thought to myself 'surely he means Toksvig and Anderson?'.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Proper National Treasures on 18:42 - Oct 7 with 1118 viewsKeno

Proper National Treasures on 18:12 - Oct 7 by BlueandTruesince82

Whats so special about King Harold's brother?

I thought he is a wrong 'un

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Proper National Treasures on 19:20 - Oct 7 with 1084 viewsEdwardStone

Proper National Treasures on 18:29 - Oct 7 by ArnoldMoorhen

Rob Newman
Frank Skinner
(Julie Walters and Lenny Henry have already been mentioned, and Rob Brydon was a good shout, too)

And tangential to the comedy world: does anyone else have huge love for Liza Tarbuck?

Uppie for including Frank Skinner

His Saturday morning radio show is sublime

Obvs not as good as John Peel's Home Truths, but pretty damn fine
Proper National Treasures on 19:25 - Oct 7 with 1071 viewsGlasgowBlue

Cliff Richard init.

If you had posted this 12 years ago somebody would have suggested Jimmy Savile.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Proper National Treasures on 19:27 - Oct 7 with 1060 viewsyesjohn99

Proper National Treasures on 08:19 - Oct 7 by The_Flashing_Smile

Joanna Lumley.
Jennifer Saunders.
Dawn French.
Angela Rippon.
Gloria Hunniford.

Bumped into Gloria Hunniford in New York at the knicks store.

My other half asked ‘Gloria, is that you?’
Proper National Treasures on 19:33 - Oct 7 with 1052 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Proper National Treasures on 18:29 - Oct 7 by ArnoldMoorhen

Rob Newman
Frank Skinner

For those who don't know Lemn Sissay, he is a truly remarkable man.

A care leaver and poet, he set up: https://www.goldfromthestone.org.uk/ to support others as they leave care.

Here's one of his beautiful poems:

He's now Chancellor of the University of Manchester. He's worked his way up, and is equally committed to helping others make their way, too.

A big hearted soul.

If you want more:

A Proper National Treasure.
Proper National Treasures on 20:10 - Oct 7 with 1015 viewsfactual_blue

Ant and Dec?

Really???

You've missed Sandi Toksvig out.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Proper National Treasures on 20:13 - Oct 7 with 1012 viewsMerseyBlue

John Cooper Clarke

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Proper National Treasures on 20:16 - Oct 7 with 1007 viewsGlasgowBlue

Proper National Treasures on 20:13 - Oct 7 by MerseyBlue

John Cooper Clarke

Good shout. Seeing JCC in Edinburgh soon.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024