Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Proper National Treasures 05:37 - Oct 7 with 7122 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Was just thinking the other day when John Challis died (RIP) how David Jason is probably one of the biggest nationals treasure in Britain and it got me thinking who else would be on this list of say 10 people.

I’ve got these so far on my imaginary list:
- Sir David Jason
- Sir David Attenborough
- Sir Elton John
- Dame Helen Mirren
- Dame Judi Dench
- Dame Maggie Smith

And then on the ‘potentials’ list that didn’t quite make the cut but probably worth consideration:
- Ant and Dec
- Sir Tom Jones
- Colin Firth
- Sir Paul McCartney
- Stephen Fry
- Mary Berry
- David Lloyd (AKA Bumble)

Who else do we reckon is a genuine national treasure?
[Post edited 7 Oct 2021 5:45]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Proper National Treasures on 11:44 - Oct 7 with 771 viewsgainsboroughblue

Barry Cryer.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Proper National Treasures on 11:51 - Oct 7 with 738 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Proper National Treasures on 11:43 - Oct 7 by Herbivore

She allegedly told a 'friend' she made it up. That you choose to believe that rather than what we know she told a court of law is interesting. And the floor in the hotel room where Boycott said she fell was carpeted. And a doctor said the injuries she had could not have been sustained in the way Boycott alleged.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2021 11:50]

The perosn who offeredto drop the case for cash told that court he did it when she didn't get the cash....that you think that doesn't undermine a witness credibility is interesting.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Proper National Treasures on 11:54 - Oct 7 with 722 viewsHerbivore

Proper National Treasures on 11:51 - Oct 7 by BlueandTruesince82

The perosn who offeredto drop the case for cash told that court he did it when she didn't get the cash....that you think that doesn't undermine a witness credibility is interesting.

You carry on disbelieving victims of DV if you like mate, personally I find it somewhat crass.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Proper National Treasures on 11:59 - Oct 7 with 714 viewsKeno

Proper National Treasures on 11:44 - Oct 7 by gainsboroughblue

Barry Cryer.

thats good call

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Proper National Treasures on 12:02 - Oct 7 with 712 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Proper National Treasures on 11:54 - Oct 7 by Herbivore

You carry on disbelieving victims of DV if you like mate, personally I find it somewhat crass.

It's about evidence..... People can be vindictive, people lie. Now I personally am far more inclined to belive someone who didn't ask for a load of cash to drop the case, even more so when a friend of theirs was told they had made it up

As someone who has has seen the damage that kind of violence can do I feel pretty sure that very few people would agree to offer to drop a case of that nature for any amout of money.

Proper National Treasures on 12:12 - Oct 7 with 696 viewsNthQldITFC

Proper National Treasures on 08:33 - Oct 7 by tivo

Bob Mortimer for sure!

Has he got a beach named after him then?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Proper National Treasures on 12:13 - Oct 7 with 692 viewsNthQldITFC

Kathy Fackin' Burke is one.
Biggins is one too.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2021 12:19]

Proper National Treasures on 12:18 - Oct 7 with 684 viewsNthQldITFC

Proper National Treasures on 10:01 - Oct 7 by tractordownsouth

Matt Hancock

The sort of treasure you'd want to bury very deeply.

Login to get fewer ads

Proper National Treasures on 12:24 - Oct 7 with 668 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Proper National Treasures on 12:13 - Oct 7 by NthQldITFC

Kathy Fackin' Burke is one.
Biggins is one too.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2021 12:19]

How on earth Kathy Burke isn't a Dame is beyond me though I could imagine her turning it down TBF. She'd rather stay in with a spliff than have to get dressed up to hang about with the queen

Proper National Treasures on 12:28 - Oct 7 with 658 viewshoppy

Proper National Treasures on 12:18 - Oct 7 by NthQldITFC

The sort of treasure you'd want to bury very deeply.

You keep your sordid fantasies of burying yourself deep in Hancock to yourself please.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Proper National Treasures on 12:48 - Oct 7 with 633 viewsHerbivore

Proper National Treasures on 12:02 - Oct 7 by BlueandTruesince82

It's about evidence..... People can be vindictive, people lie. Now I personally am far more inclined to belive someone who didn't ask for a load of cash to drop the case, even more so when a friend of theirs was told they had made it up

As someone who has has seen the damage that kind of violence can do I feel pretty sure that very few people would agree to offer to drop a case of that nature for any amout of money.

And yet here you are believing 'evidence' that is untested in a court of law versus evidence that has been tested in a court and subsequent court of appeal. Marina Hyde has written some interesting stuff about the way fans of Boycott are willing to minimise or refuse to believe the proven allegation against him, might be worth a read.

Proper National Treasures on 12:51 - Oct 7 with 624 viewsBlueBadger

Proper National Treasures on 10:39 - Oct 7 by BlueandTruesince82

There is bit more to that case than the outcome.

An admission to a friend of having made up the case and tbe contact to a solicitor offering to drop the case for 150k rather muddies the waters

Pro tip: if there's two sides in an argument, and one is a wife-beater, go with the one who isn't the wife-beater.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Proper National Treasures on 12:56 - Oct 7 with 617 viewschicoazul

Lots of white people in this thread.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Proper National Treasures on 12:59 - Oct 7 with 610 viewshoppy

Proper National Treasures on 12:56 - Oct 7 by chicoazul

I had added Lenny Henry earlier, but I'm not sure where that's gone.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Proper National Treasures on 12:59 - Oct 7 with 609 viewsHerbivore

Proper National Treasures on 12:56 - Oct 7 by chicoazul

I went for McDonald and Rashford alongside Sir Mick as my three picks. Trying to diversify ting.

Proper National Treasures on 13:05 - Oct 7 with 598 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Proper National Treasures on 12:48 - Oct 7 by Herbivore

And yet here you are believing 'evidence' that is untested in a court of law versus evidence that has been tested in a court and subsequent court of appeal. Marina Hyde has written some interesting stuff about the way fans of Boycott are willing to minimise or refuse to believe the proven allegation against him, might be worth a read.

Again, I find it difficult to belive that anyone would offer (they approached GBS legal team) to drop such a case for money and I think if this were any other case I think you would question such an offer too.

Without being familiar with the French legal system I can't really comment on that but what I can say no victim of DV that I have ever met would ever offer to drop a prosecution for cash. The court ruled on what is one person's word against another. As I said earlier one of those people made a clear offer to drop to the the case for cash and that same person told a friend they had made it up.

Now I can't and indeed am not saying what did I did not happen because I wasn't there, what I can say is to offer to drop it for £150k at the very least must make one question the motives.

I take your point RE Marina Hyde but equally is it not possible that your dislike of Boycott perhaps prevent you from seeing that an inducement of cash rather undermines any witness.

To be clear I find all violence (unless consensual EG a match of the pugalistic arts) deplorable but equally we cannot assume that every complainant is telling the truth any more than we can assume every defendant is.

Proper National Treasures on 13:11 - Oct 7 with 585 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Proper National Treasures on 12:51 - Oct 7 by BlueBadger

Pro tip: if there's two sides in an argument, and one is a wife-beater, go with the one who isn't the wife-beater.

That only holds if the person has prior though doesn't it. You can't say this person who is accused of this crime is likely guilty because we are accusing them of this crime which is essentially your argument there.

You can say this person has a history of committing this type or crime or similar and therefore it is likely he could have also committed this crime.

In this instance plenty of people including EXs testified to never having seen or received that kind of behaviour from GB so there is no pattern of prior behavior to make such an assertion.

Proper National Treasures on 13:13 - Oct 7 with 577 viewsBlueBadger

Proper National Treasures on 13:11 - Oct 7 by BlueandTruesince82

That only holds if the person has prior though doesn't it. You can't say this person who is accused of this crime is likely guilty because we are accusing them of this crime which is essentially your argument there.

You can say this person has a history of committing this type or crime or similar and therefore it is likely he could have also committed this crime.

In this instance plenty of people including EXs testified to never having seen or received that kind of behaviour from GB so there is no pattern of prior behavior to make such an assertion.

It definitely holds up if someone is calling a known wife-beater a 'national treasure' though.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Proper National Treasures on 13:14 - Oct 7 with 580 viewsHerbivore

Proper National Treasures on 13:05 - Oct 7 by BlueandTruesince82

Again, I find it difficult to belive that anyone would offer (they approached GBS legal team) to drop such a case for money and I think if this were any other case I think you would question such an offer too.

Without being familiar with the French legal system I can't really comment on that but what I can say no victim of DV that I have ever met would ever offer to drop a prosecution for cash. The court ruled on what is one person's word against another. As I said earlier one of those people made a clear offer to drop to the the case for cash and that same person told a friend they had made it up.

Now I can't and indeed am not saying what did I did not happen because I wasn't there, what I can say is to offer to drop it for £150k at the very least must make one question the motives.

I take your point RE Marina Hyde but equally is it not possible that your dislike of Boycott perhaps prevent you from seeing that an inducement of cash rather undermines any witness.

To be clear I find all violence (unless consensual EG a match of the pugalistic arts) deplorable but equally we cannot assume that every complainant is telling the truth any more than we can assume every defendant is.

You're sole source on this seems to be the Telegraph, who aren't exactly neutral given that he works for them and given that he's very much part of their Tory/Brexit cult. It's interesting that you are only questioning one source here, the victim, not the source that has tried to throw doubt on the conviction which clearly isn't a neutral party in all of this.

I've worked with lots of victims of domestic violence and I think if they'd been able to get a six figure sum from the perpetrator and never had to see him again they'd have taken that over the uncertainty of a court case and the likelihood of a meagre sentence even if convicted, which is far from guaranteed in these cases. Assuming the allegation is true (I don't know if there's documented evidence of it? If so I'd be interested to see it) and she asked for money in return for dropping the case I don't think it casts the doubt you think it casts.

Two courts saw and heard all of the evidence, two courts found him guilty. Some counter allegations by the Telegraph isn't enough to make me disbelieve the victim I'm afraid.

Proper National Treasures on 13:16 - Oct 7 with 577 viewsHerbivore

Proper National Treasures on 13:11 - Oct 7 by BlueandTruesince82

You can say he's likely guilty on the basis of two courts finding him guilty though.

Proper National Treasures on 13:26 - Oct 7 with 545 viewsleitrimblue

Proper National Treasures on 12:59 - Oct 7 by hoppy

I had added Lenny Henry earlier, but I'm not sure where that's gone.

My 3 we're yerself, Keno and Steven Fry. Fry as some kinda Norfolk connection, so my willingness to meet up with him would suggest I'm incredibly open minded. I have no idea of the racial/cultural make up of yerself or Keno. Though I know Ken is a big fan of super cat, smokes a ton of herb and believes His Imperial Majesty The Emperor Haile Selassie is the Earth's rightful ruler, I refuse to stereotype
Proper National Treasures on 13:28 - Oct 7 with 537 viewsEnigma_Blue

David Mitchell
Rowan Atkinson
Proper National Treasures on 13:31 - Oct 7 with 529 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Proper National Treasures on 13:16 - Oct 7 by Herbivore

You can say he's likely guilty on the basis of two courts finding him guilty though.

And you can say any case where an accuser has offered to withdraw the case in exchange for a big bag of cash is questionable.

Proper National Treasures on 13:40 - Oct 7 with 511 viewsHerbivore

Proper National Treasures on 13:31 - Oct 7 by BlueandTruesince82

And you can say any case where an accuser has offered to withdraw the case in exchange for a big bag of cash is questionable.

You can, not sure everyone would agree as per my previous post. Given the poor conviction rates and pitiful sentences in DV cases I am sure a lot of people would take a six figure sum and never having to see them again over the trauma of a trial that will likely lead to either a not guilty verdict or a trifling sentence. If I got punched in the face by a professional sportsperson and had the chance to take a six figure sum or see them get a slap on the wrists I'd take the money in a heartbeat.

Also, can you link me to the evidence in support of this particular allegation? As far as I can tell it comes from an investigation done by his employer (the Telegraph) and I'm not sure what documentary evidence they have in support of their claims. The claims didn't get much traction outside the Telegraph so I'm curious as to how strong their evidence is.

Proper National Treasures on 14:22 - Oct 7 with 474 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Proper National Treasures on 13:40 - Oct 7 by Herbivore

You can, not sure everyone would agree as per my previous post. Given the poor conviction rates and pitiful sentences in DV cases I am sure a lot of people would take a six figure sum and never having to see them again over the trauma of a trial that will likely lead to either a not guilty verdict or a trifling sentence. If I got punched in the face by a professional sportsperson and had the chance to take a six figure sum or see them get a slap on the wrists I'd take the money in a heartbeat.

Also, can you link me to the evidence in support of this particular allegation? As far as I can tell it comes from an investigation done by his employer (the Telegraph) and I'm not sure what documentary evidence they have in support of their claims. The claims didn't get much traction outside the Telegraph so I'm curious as to how strong their evidence is.

Well first let me say that I think anonymity for both accusers and accused in such cases should be granted until the conclusion of any trial in the hope that would encourage more people to come forward, they absolutely should. I accept that naming an accused can encourage more people to come forward but equally its also a route that may bring about false accusations and a look at the law and how retrials should be dealt with as potential new evidence comes to light is needed to try and strike a better balance.

I also agree if I was punched by a sports person and could take them for 150k I may well be inclined to do so but I do think that is a different scenario to DV incident which is far more dehumanising and again certainly those who I know (including some who are v close to me) would rather see a conviction than receive hush money but everyone is different and so I won't speak for everyone.

As to your other question yes that did originate from the Telegraph's instigation but I would say its reporting then was of a far better standard than rabid eyed right end of then right spectrum that it now is, I wasn't aware that they were his employer time of trial. I could link you to reports in the Irish Times, the Mail but these Will of course refencee the telegraph because that us where the story originates, I could point you to the yourkshire post but even I'll agree they are likely to be biased.

I could also link to an article that accuse Boycotts accuser of questionable behaviour (abuse and assualt of a stewardess and other within her party) but of course that will all ultimately link back to the telegraph which carried out that investigation.

We could also look at his accusers finances (1.3 million in debt at time of trial ) and that she was declared bankrupt shortly afterwards.

In short I would need to work for telegraph to be able to ultimately provide the info you ask for and I don't but equally I see no way to disprove said evidence either, no do I see any denials of such an offer being made or any attempt by any other publication to refute the claim so much like the trial you have reliant on what someone claims. What is depressing is that no one else has actually looked to clarify those claims one way or the other and that is sad inditmenet of tbe British press all together

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024