Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests 05:44 - Oct 14 with 3553 viewsgiant_stow

They're much better than everyone thought.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58899612

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 10:52 - Oct 14 with 1335 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 10:02 - Oct 14 by ElderGrizzly

No. Not at all. I’ve even addressed it above.

That quote is saying it basically picks up those with the highest viral load. Which they do.

They also give false negatives to those who are still infectious, still transmitting, but not high enough for the LFT to pick it up. But we then go out and act as though we are ‘virus free’.

There isn’t an easy answer and i’ve tried to explain why i think we should be careful around this as Govt policy is going to be pushing these, at our cost to pay, very soon. And they might simply prolong the issue.

As before, there is a reason the most sensitive environments currently use PCR not LFT. And the Govt is about to gamble and change that.

That quote literally says they are very good at picking up those that are most likely to spread the virus

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 11:32 - Oct 14 with 1314 viewsZXBlue

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 10:05 - Oct 14 by ElderGrizzly

The last part is simply not true.

Yes. It is. There is a spate of people getting negative pcrs after positive LFs.

One hypothesis is a variant not being picked up by the current pcr. The numbers are significant enough to have been noticed and under serious investigation.

If you are talking about the other bit. I would say about 50% in Sainsburys yesterday were maskless. More in TX Maxx.

The joke, unfortunately, is on them as I tested +ve on LF last night... As did my son last weekend, before getting a negtive pcr and being told he should return to school as soon as he felt okay. Crazy.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2021 11:34]
Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 11:34 - Oct 14 with 1312 viewsitfcjoe

My youngest has had a positive on it today - great joy

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 13:21 - Oct 14 with 1269 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 08:08 - Oct 14 by ElderGrizzly

I’m negative on the Govt approach to Covid and the testing for it because we are an outlier and ignoring international studies.

https://www.medicaldevice-network.com/features/asymptomatic-lateral-flow-testing

And selfishly because their incompetence or ulterior motive makes our job harder.

Yes, i’m raising a different point to this study but it’s an important one as it is related. LFTs give more false negatives than false positives and when used in education and travel settings that can cause significant asymptomatic spread.

When you know that Govt policy is about to push these tests very hard, mandating them in some cases and at the same time no longer making them free, you sort of get suspicious. Sorry.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2021 8:14]

It's quite apparent that low viral load transmission in schools is a cornerstone of Government policy now. Get all the teenagers to catch it now before flu season.

If it's not then they are even more incompetent than before, because that is exactly what the return to school policy has created ideal conditions for.
Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 20:11 - Oct 14 with 1207 viewsWhos_blue

Hmmm.....

Our experience of LFTs isn't great.
On a positive, they did pick up my daughter's positive result, confirmed by PCR.
My partner, son and I chose to complete LFTs every day as an additional precaution.
Over the next 10 days we all tested positive via PCR, but between us we did not return one positive LFT.
We'd been relying on them being more accurate than that.
Not overly impressed I'm afraid.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 06:54 - Oct 15 with 1166 viewsElderGrizzly

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 07:10 - Oct 14 by Vic

You suggesting the government have planted this news item on the Beeb, Elder?

Looks to me like this is a professional, independent study from a highly reputable source. UCL is not to be taken lightly.

And how unusual for the US, that has been behind the curve on COVID for much of the time, to criticize another country for the use of a test they don’t use. Presumably a test not made in the US!

As if by magic 12 hours later….

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 07:24 - Oct 15 with 1143 viewsGlasgowBlue

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 06:54 - Oct 15 by ElderGrizzly

As if by magic 12 hours later….

You’re posting that as if it’s some great revelation.

This was announced mid September.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 07:31 - Oct 15 with 1142 viewsgalacticoblue

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 08:08 - Oct 14 by ElderGrizzly

I’m negative on the Govt approach to Covid and the testing for it because we are an outlier and ignoring international studies.

https://www.medicaldevice-network.com/features/asymptomatic-lateral-flow-testing

And selfishly because their incompetence or ulterior motive makes our job harder.

Yes, i’m raising a different point to this study but it’s an important one as it is related. LFTs give more false negatives than false positives and when used in education and travel settings that can cause significant asymptomatic spread.

When you know that Govt policy is about to push these tests very hard, mandating them in some cases and at the same time no longer making them free, you sort of get suspicious. Sorry.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2021 8:14]

It’s not just the article, I think you are also responding to the OPs comment that LFTs are better than everyone thought. Your point is valid against this, although the tests are reliable in certain circumstances, there are other factors which mean they can’t be wholly relied upon.
Login to get fewer ads

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 07:37 - Oct 15 with 1137 viewsmikeybloo88

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 10:12 - Oct 14 by ElderGrizzly

“Which is probably worse” - yep!

Sorry not meaning to sound negative, but we’ve had to work with rubbish decision after rubbish decision on this and frankly me and my colleagues are exhausted by it all!

I very much doubt you're sorry at all about sounding negative...
Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 08:01 - Oct 15 with 1123 viewsElderGrizzly

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 07:24 - Oct 15 by GlasgowBlue

You’re posting that as if it’s some great revelation.

This was announced mid September.

Yes, the date announced in September was “hopefully by half-term”

The timing of the report and Govt policy change confirmation yesterday are not a coincidence.
Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 08:03 - Oct 15 with 1120 viewsZXBlue

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 08:01 - Oct 15 by ElderGrizzly

Yes, the date announced in September was “hopefully by half-term”

The timing of the report and Govt policy change confirmation yesterday are not a coincidence.

Correlation does not equal causation. You need a factual basis for that assertion.

Importantly, the policy change could have been prompted by the report as well, rather than some cynical pressure to release a report to support the policy, as you seem to be implying.
Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 08:03 - Oct 15 with 1121 viewsElderGrizzly

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 07:37 - Oct 15 by mikeybloo88

I very much doubt you're sorry at all about sounding negative...

If it highlights incompetence at he top, probably not.

For sounding like a moaning nelly on the same topic, yes :)
Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 08:07 - Oct 15 with 1111 viewsElderGrizzly

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 08:03 - Oct 15 by ZXBlue

Correlation does not equal causation. You need a factual basis for that assertion.

Importantly, the policy change could have been prompted by the report as well, rather than some cynical pressure to release a report to support the policy, as you seem to be implying.

The policy change was not prompted by the report. The timelines don’t match.

Literally work in a Govt department where we get bi-weekly if not daily briefings on all this. As I was hinting at in my early posts in the thread.

Anyway, good news for those who want to travel more cheaply. Not so good if you want to track variants into the country.

Ironically, i’m off to get another PCR test now.

Have a nice day :)
Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 08:19 - Oct 15 with 1099 viewsTractorWood

My experience of them was that they don't work. I went to Euros final on the Sunday and took them every day until I felt so awful I took a PCR on the Thursday. All LFTs were negative and PCR was positive. I only really developed symptoms on the Wednesday afternoon.

I've heard a lot of similar stories.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Hasn't there been a lot of comprehensive research showing masks DO work? on 08:21 - Oct 15 with 1088 viewsunstableblue

My french family came over and they were really shocked at how little adherence to mask wearing there was here (a few weeks ago)

Perhaps explains there much lower numbers

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 08:41 - Oct 15 with 1072 viewsmikeybloo88

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 08:19 - Oct 15 by TractorWood

My experience of them was that they don't work. I went to Euros final on the Sunday and took them every day until I felt so awful I took a PCR on the Thursday. All LFTs were negative and PCR was positive. I only really developed symptoms on the Wednesday afternoon.

I've heard a lot of similar stories.

And I've heard many stories of positive LFT tests confirmed by PCR....not heard yet of any positive LFT test being contradicted by a negative PCR. Our personal anecdotes of course mean little compared to an official scientific study so best to listen to them I would think...
Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 08:47 - Oct 15 with 1058 viewsZXBlue

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 08:07 - Oct 15 by ElderGrizzly

The policy change was not prompted by the report. The timelines don’t match.

Literally work in a Govt department where we get bi-weekly if not daily briefings on all this. As I was hinting at in my early posts in the thread.

Anyway, good news for those who want to travel more cheaply. Not so good if you want to track variants into the country.

Ironically, i’m off to get another PCR test now.

Have a nice day :)

Literally, governments get briefed on the reports way ahead of time.

Literally, you are still making an unevidenced assertion about causation.
Hasn't there been a lot of comprehensive research showing masks DO work? on 08:47 - Oct 15 with 1059 viewspointofblue

Hasn't there been a lot of comprehensive research showing masks DO work? on 08:21 - Oct 15 by unstableblue

My french family came over and they were really shocked at how little adherence to mask wearing there was here (a few weeks ago)

Perhaps explains there much lower numbers

Ditching social distancing and mask wearing are two of the most moronic, dangerous moves anyone could have made - so of course our government did so.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 08:48 - Oct 15 with 1054 viewsZXBlue

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 08:41 - Oct 15 by mikeybloo88

And I've heard many stories of positive LFT tests confirmed by PCR....not heard yet of any positive LFT test being contradicted by a negative PCR. Our personal anecdotes of course mean little compared to an official scientific study so best to listen to them I would think...

These are rife currently. Stories this morning on BBC about a problem in Berkshire, but throughout the SW.

Also have direct persnoal experience at home.
Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 09:13 - Oct 15 with 1041 viewspointofblue

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 08:41 - Oct 15 by mikeybloo88

It’s already been commented on but…
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58921280

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 09:24 - Oct 15 with 1038 viewsZXBlue

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 09:13 - Oct 15 by pointofblue

It’s already been commented on but…
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58921280

My son has just had a positive pcr. He has been at school the last 2 days, because he had a -ve pcr a few days ago, after positive LFs.

Ooops. :-(
Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 09:50 - Oct 15 with 1030 viewsPinewoodblue

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 09:18 - Oct 14 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

So you’re completely ignoring the “ Lateral flow tests (LFTs) are very good at detecting people most likely to spread Covid-19” part then?

All that statement says is the more infected you are the more likely the test will be valid. Now turn it around the more recently you became infected the less likely it is you will show positive.

There really is nothing wrong with what EG is saying.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 09:54 - Oct 15 with 1015 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Well quite. We should listen to the science and experts, and anyone that thinks their own personal views and assumptions trumps them is an idiot. Unless of course the science and experts contradict your own views in which case the studies are wrong

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 09:57 - Oct 15 with 1006 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 09:50 - Oct 15 by Pinewoodblue

All that statement says is the more infected you are the more likely the test will be valid. Now turn it around the more recently you became infected the less likely it is you will show positive.

There really is nothing wrong with what EG is saying.

Or, instead of turning a statement around to say what you want it to say you could just read it

EG is arguing that LFT’s not picking up positives means people are running amok spreading the virus. The study however has found that they are good at detecting those most likely to spread the virus

So yes, it does rather contradict that argument

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 10:20 - Oct 15 with 979 viewsZXBlue

Good news about the reliability of Lateral flow tests on 09:57 - Oct 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Or, instead of turning a statement around to say what you want it to say you could just read it

EG is arguing that LFT’s not picking up positives means people are running amok spreading the virus. The study however has found that they are good at detecting those most likely to spread the virus

So yes, it does rather contradict that argument

Indeed. There is a kernel of a point there, but he also seems tobe trying to imply that there is something dubious about the research published supporting the government's change.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024