Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good result in a very tough game 21:48 - Dec 29 with 3218 viewsitfcjoe

Could see some of the stuff McKenna was trying to implement and a lot of it was positive.

We had to ride our luck a little bit at times, but some great spirit shown there and winning close games, especially at Portman Road, is not something we've done for a decent amount of time.

I like the set up at the back, up the pitch was a little bit round pegs in square holes so be interested to see where we end up once McKenna has had a chance to get some players who suit his style a bit more.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Good result in a very tough game on 21:51 - Dec 29 with 3089 viewsBudapestByBlimp

I like the set up at the back too - gives a bit more cover when our wing backs push up and allows Morsy and Evans to remain further up the pitch.
Good result in a very tough game on 21:59 - Dec 29 with 2991 viewsKeaneish

Differences for me were:

- Defenders encouraged to travel with the ball and drive into space
- Balls into the box early rather than waiting for overlaps or bodies in the box
- Early balls forward and pressing of play to win the seconds
- Clear the lines no matter how and get back in shape ready for the seconds

The first half was a mash-up of styles we’ve seen from previous managers. The second was very Mick like. I thought the set-up was exactly how McGreal and Dyer left it. Disappointingly, the days of getting in behind defences like we did consistently under Cook looks to be over as McKenna seems to prefer the McGreal approach although the next few games will show; nothing bad about that as we’ve picked up some solid results in the last three games.

Good result. A combative display with some good highlights but a lot to iron out if a style is to be defined.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Good result in a very tough game on 22:08 - Dec 29 with 2891 viewsurbanblue

Good result in a very tough game on 21:59 - Dec 29 by Keaneish

Differences for me were:

- Balls into the box early rather than waiting for overlaps or bodies in the box

The first half was a mash-up of styles we’ve seen from previous managers. The second was very Mick like. I thought the set-up was exactly how McGreal and Dyer left it. Disappointingly, the days of getting in behind defences like we did consistently under Cook looks to be over as McKenna seems to prefer the McGreal approach although the next few games will show; nothing bad about that as we’ve picked up some solid results in the last three games.

Good result. A combative display with some good highlights but a lot to iron out if a style is to be defined.

I think we will see a lot more tactics and method of play dependant on who we are playing against. Mick Mills was continually saying we should have been further up the pitch. I reckon Wycombe would have loved that.

If that Chaplin effort had gone in a 2-0 win would have been a superb performance in the circumstances. As it is, it was a good solid performance and result.
Good result in a very tough game on 22:09 - Dec 29 with 2858 viewsDubtractor

Good result in a very tough game on 22:08 - Dec 29 by urbanblue

I think we will see a lot more tactics and method of play dependant on who we are playing against. Mick Mills was continually saying we should have been further up the pitch. I reckon Wycombe would have loved that.

If that Chaplin effort had gone in a 2-0 win would have been a superb performance in the circumstances. As it is, it was a good solid performance and result.

Yeah, I thought it odd that Mills was desperate for us to go route one more and pick up second balls, as if he hadn't been watching the game and seeing how Wycombe play!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Good result in a very tough game on 22:13 - Dec 29 with 2799 viewsGeomorph

Just comparing to playing a team with a similar (though less effective) style… Against accy we lost most first challenges and won almost no second balls… we seemed so much better at that tonight. Well some mck and the lads
Good result in a very tough game on 22:14 - Dec 29 with 2760 viewsElderGrizzly

Differences for me were:

The most obvious one was that first bullet wasn’t it? All three CBs appearing in the opposition box after running with the ball.
Good result in a very tough game on 22:20 - Dec 29 with 2668 viewscbower

Under Cook's 4231 the midfield was overrun. Mcgreal changed that and long may it continue under McKenna. Do you think maybe we could eventually see the re-emergence of Rekeem Harper too as he won't be a) so isolated and b) shackled so defensively?

bluescouser

Good result in a very tough game on 22:22 - Dec 29 with 2617 viewsPlums

I thought there were some really good signs there. It looked as though we tired significantly which isn’t surprising given the early intensity which isn’t something we’ve been used to.
A good three points and plenty to build on.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Login to get fewer ads

Good result in a very tough game on 22:25 - Dec 29 with 2556 viewsMetal_Hacker

Good result in a very tough game on 22:09 - Dec 29 by Dubtractor

Yeah, I thought it odd that Mills was desperate for us to go route one more and pick up second balls, as if he hadn't been watching the game and seeing how Wycombe play!

Mills did my nut in tonight to be fair I’m afraid to admit

Poll: If it were one or the other

Good result in a very tough game on 22:32 - Dec 29 with 2468 viewsitfcsuth

Ball travelling from CB was the difference from me. Altogether didn’t see to many differences from the Sunderland game, nor would I expect to having only probably had 5 or 6 training days.

His team will develop over a period time, with his ideas being put across bit by bit.
Good result in a very tough game on 22:36 - Dec 29 with 2387 viewsitfcjoe

Good result in a very tough game on 22:32 - Dec 29 by itfcsuth

Ball travelling from CB was the difference from me. Altogether didn’t see to many differences from the Sunderland game, nor would I expect to having only probably had 5 or 6 training days.

His team will develop over a period time, with his ideas being put across bit by bit.

Was very vertical from the back - both passing and running from all 3 of them

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Good result in a very tough game on 22:44 - Dec 29 with 2282 viewspointofblue

A tale of two halves but both good stories. The first showed so much promise, especially the attacking approach of the centre backs without leaving us exposed at the back. The second half showed game management at it's finest, coupled with formation changes and sensible subs to counter any threats. It was nice to see a change of shape and approach to challenge the opposition and hopefully more of that is to come.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Good result in a very tough game on 22:44 - Dec 29 with 2268 viewsitfcsuth

Good result in a very tough game on 22:36 - Dec 29 by itfcjoe

Was very vertical from the back - both passing and running from all 3 of them

Far better than ponderous displays that we have seen previously, only to either pass sideways or long pass to a lone striker.

The benefit of that back 3 system is that there is always likely to be at least one unmarked man to find, you find that spare CB quickly enough it will allow them to step out with the ball.

Always thought Woolfenden would be better suited as a wider CB in a back 3, but he’s taken to that central role very impressively.
Good result in a very tough game on 22:48 - Dec 29 with 2208 viewsDinDjarin

Differences for me were:

Maybe but maybe he sets us up based on who we are playing as he is the type who goes over and the over the opposition and rightly so.
Might be a different formation for Lincoln is its on.

1 games tells us not a lot but I like his vibe on the touchline and sit very close. Cool cucumber.
Good result in a very tough game on 22:55 - Dec 29 with 2129 viewsHullblue

Thought Norwood’s positioning was interesting - looked like he was playing from the left for a lot of the time. Brave and interesting move when the easy and logical thing would have been to play him down the middle with Bonne. As it was it looked more like a 343 to me. Norwood ran his butt off as well.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Good result in a very tough game on 23:03 - Dec 29 with 2039 viewstractor_lady

What I liked more than anything is the players looked like they knew what was expected of them so a real team display not several disjointed individual performances. Hence why so difficult to pick MoM or indeed a weak link! I think having a technically minded manager is a refreshing change as looks like we have plan a, b and c! We so lacked that under cook (and his recent predecessors!)
Good result in a very tough game on 23:05 - Dec 29 with 2004 viewstextbackup

Good result in a very tough game on 22:14 - Dec 29 by ElderGrizzly

The most obvious one was that first bullet wasn’t it? All three CBs appearing in the opposition box after running with the ball.

I loved seeing it. All three have that ability, and if the space opens up then why not, Morsy can drop back and then let a lump go on a run… Titus done ok out of it a few times lol

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Good result in a very tough game on 23:09 - Dec 29 with 1952 viewsHerbivore

Differences for me were:

"Disappointingly, the days of getting in behind defences like we did consistently under Cook looks to be over".

Excuse me whilst I hop into my roflcopter. My word.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Good result in a very tough game on 23:17 - Dec 29 with 1867 viewsKeaneish

Good result in a very tough game on 22:14 - Dec 29 by ElderGrizzly

For sure and what’s great about that is it means Wolfenden is firmly in his plans and more power to that.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Good result in a very tough game on 23:26 - Dec 29 with 1797 viewstractorboy1978

Very solid performance. Nice to see three centre halves playing that are all comfortable on the ball and able to step into midfield. Nsiala/Burgess won't last long here now IMO.

Longer term I suspect we will see one of those 'number 9' type front men dropped for Edwards and it'll become more 3-4-3 than 3-4-1-2. But it worked having Bonne and Norwood up there tonight and giving as good as we got in a physical sense.

It was notable that Morsy had far more licence to drive forwards tonight, he was almost playing box to box first half. And was pressing high up the pitch right at the end for Chaplin's chance.

I suspect LB is going to be a position we see someone new come in. Penney did ok but stands out as the weak link for me.
Good result in a very tough game on 23:47 - Dec 29 with 1629 viewsN2_Blue

Differences for me were:

So 90 minutes for the new manager in a tough game against Wycombe and you've already decided we're not going to get in behind teams and show attacking purpose in a manner seen at times this season, (although it was gung-ho rather than controlled with an element of game management under Cook).

You're almost as bad as Makin!

I saw more game management tonight under McKenna than I saw in 40+games with Cook.

So much to be pleased with tonight, so much more to improve, and so much more to come. Mckenna is so much more engaging to listen to than Cook ever was.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2021 23:52]

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024